What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
hahaha

objective ??
Dr Fujak the author is a bubble dweller from the Deakin university in down town Melbourne.
He has an engrained view of afl supremacy.
So , yea nah
Oh we have an anti Vaxer type, ‘I don’t like the science as it doesn’t agree with my opinion’. The eternal cry of the tin foil hatter.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
RL doesn't need to fight anything, it just needs to be better organised and administered and willing to make hard decisions even where they might hurt in the short term.

However I doubt the changes necessary to make RL capable of meeting it's full potential will ever happen because every time an attempt is made to take those steps they are almost instantly subverted by self-interested parties whom place themselves before the interests of game as a whole.
Thats what i mean by fighting better. All those points you outlined. They have to change their methods etc

He was born, raised, and educated in Sydney and what he has of a social media presence prior to the release of his book mainly talks about the NRL as any fan would. He doesn't push an agenda for any particular sport and what praise or criticism he does have of a sport is well reasoned and backed by data.

You are in no position to accuse others of being bubble dwellers when you seem totally incapable of producing one piece of hard evidence to support your views and outwardly refuse to engage with any piece of evidence presented to you that challenges your views. If Dr Fujak is so obviously wrong then it should be relatively easy for you to prove it by showing where his facts or reasoning are wrong instead of continuing with lame attempts to assassinate his character.
hahahaha

you & your BF Perth Red produce nothing but anti RL rhetoric , bagging the code at every opportunity while praising your beloved little fumbleball & turning a blind eye to its short comings & failings as a sport.

Im very much in a position to see what you & PR are & won't sit by & swallow your garbage or his. Facts & data can be produced to prove anything you want them to. Fujak is a vicky kicky apologist plain & simple. His starting point for his book is the " unassailable lead " of australian rules football over every other code
He just writes to that narrative & not much else.
A platitude here or there to RL & the other codes , generally speaking tho its a drops & oopsies wankfest & I'm not surprised you jerked off to it

mongoose

Coach
This seems like a lot more thought is been put into a 2nd NZ side. Plus the new Christchurch stadium. Things are starting to add up.

I hate this media hyperbole that whenever a code wants to expand they are suddenly declaring "war" on the local ingrained code. Same rubbish was all over the Sydney papers when GWS Giants were announced. Most NRL players and fans have huge respect for the All Blacks (not so much the wallabies lol)

I guess if NZ is where the TV dollars are then go for it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Facts & data can be produced to prove anything you want them to. Fujak is a vicky kicky apologist plain & simple. \
I'm not sure you understand science or the concept of validity and reliability lol. Haven't read the book so no idea what he has put forward, what evidence he has put forward do you disagree with?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The year 2023 will be significant within NZ sport, marking year one of a renewed and intriguing battle for the hearts and minds of Kiwis who love their footy (and for ‘footy’, read rugby union and rugby league). The National Rugby League’s (NRL) current Kiwi broadcasting deal lapses at the end of next season. And while there was the expectation of a Dutch auction with Spark Sport for the future Kiwi rights, Sky TV slipped under its rival’s guard and quietly sold the NRL on a fresh deal through to the end of 2027. There is no doubt the new agreement represents the league’s most significant opportunity in New Zealand since ... well, since Super League. The NRL's 5-point Kiwi war plan Capitalise on free-to-air TV coverage in New Zealand of selected showpiece games to grow awareness and interest. Create new competitions and player pathways in NZ in concert with a multi-million dollar marketing programme. Support the NZRL in turning the Kiwis (and Tonga) into consistently formidable test opposition. Bring more big matches across the Tasman including a ‘Magic Round’ (a full round of club matches in one city over one weekend). Establish a second Kiwi franchise in 2024 in either Wellington or Christchurch. By extending its NRL contact with the Australian Rugby League Commission, Sky struck a massive blow in its stoush with Spark Sport (declaration of interest: I do some consultancy work for Sky. However, all commentators agree that Spark’s failure to secure NRL rights was a big setback). Australian media reported the competitive tension between Sky and Spark resulted in a 70% increase on the old deal, claiming the ARLC will reap A$160 million (NZ$167m) over five years compared to the $A94m from the previous contract. “This is an exceptional result for our game,” the NRL’s South African-born CEO Andrew Abdo said at the time. No question there. But it was what Abdo said in other interviews afterwards that should cause ears to prick on this side of the Tasman. “We will invest aggressively in NZ pathways and go head-to-head with rugby union.”

The league’s elephant in the room on this side of the Ditch has always been the Warriors and their quarter-century of under-performance.

From 2024, Sky and the NRL could potentially double those prospects. That is the year the NRL is almost certain to add an 18th franchise to their club competition. The new Brisbane-based Dolphins will become the 17th in 2023 with another due the year later to precipitate a probable move to a dual conference system. Wellington or Christchurch remains the favourite as the next expansion franchise. A second side in New Zealand is a win-win. Suddenly, Sky’s new deal looks more appealing if there are two Kiwi NRL franchises for four years of the agreement while it also allows Abdo and V’Landys, who have both been championing an additional Kiwi franchise in the Aussie press, to attack rugby nurseries south of Auckland. Central to that plan is securing the best young talent (something that has happened in Australia with union now lagging well behind the NRL and AFL in appeal to teenage prospects). By extension, in commercial synchronicity, the eyeballs, hearts, minds and then the wallets of fans will follow.

This seems like a lot more thought is been put into a 2nd NZ side. Plus the new Christchurch stadium. Things are starting to add up.

I enjoyed reading that article. If all of that's true then NZ 2 will make a great team for 2024, provided the business case stacks up. With Sky NZ increasing their annual payment to $32M, there's more than enough money to fund two NZ NRL teams. I don't know if the increase was spurred on by Spark Sport wanting the rights or by an agreement to add a second team, but it's great for the game. I can only imagine that it's for a second team in NZ for 2024.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you understand science or the concept of validity and reliability lol. Haven't read the book so no idea what he has put forward, what evidence he has put forward do you disagree with?
hmmmmm
lets see ....

so this football fan loving dork has highlighted in bold & screamed from the highest mountain ....that fumbles & misses has double the participation rates of RL & RU combined in the ACT using it i assume as some kind of pointer to the popularity of the game in Canberra
AR 8306
RU 2592
RL 1088

what this wanker has done tho , is put the entire number of fumbleball particpation up against just the senior playing numbers for well, RL at least & probably union too.
there are 5000 RL players in the ACT all ages , there are 25 senior & more then 200 junior teams alone , I mean are we seriously suggesting theres 5 players per team lol ????) , the District has over 6500 players 300 teams & when you include touch & tag that number is closer to 15000 players in the Canberra area.
Strangely , he hasn't drawn any conclusions on wether soccer's 20000 ACT participants makes it the most popular sport in the territory & far more popular then his beloved vicky kicky .. I wonder why?

straight away ... Houston we have a problem.
The figures are flawed , geared & as I alluded to part of narrative from a biased afl loving clown.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
hahahaha

you & your BF Perth Red produce nothing but anti RL rhetoric , bagging the code at every opportunity while praising your beloved little fumbleball & turning a blind eye to its short comings & failings as a sport.
And you have the gall to accuse others of existing in an echo chamber lol.

All hope is lost when any criticism instantly becomes 'anti RL rhetoric' that should be ignored out of hand...
Im very much in a position to see what you & PR are & won't sit by & swallow your garbage or his. Facts & data can be produced to prove anything you want them to. Fujak is a vicky kicky apologist plain & simple. His starting point for his book is the " unassailable lead " of australian rules football over every other code
He just writes to that narrative & not much else.
A platitude here or there to RL & the other codes , generally speaking tho its a drops & oopsies wankfest & I'm not surprised you jerked off to it
So you've read the book?

I'm going to be honest with you; I don't have time to effectively reread the book to try and find a singular quote, so if you want to provide page numbers so I can find it then we can discuss the context if you like. If the quote isn't from the book then links will do.

Considering that one of the main premises of the first chapter of the book is to layout how Australia has a uniquely competitive football market, with Australia being the only major market with four commercially competitive professional football codes none of which dominate the market, I find it hard to reconcile your 'unassailable lead' quote with what Dr Fujak actually presents at the starting points of his book.

Further more, some of his earliest words on the AFL it's self are to present the idea that 'The AFL's progress has at least partially been propelled by a litany of historical calamities which have beset its competitors' (p. 4), which doesn't sound at all like he is pushing an AFL superiority narrative to me.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
hmmmmm
lets see ....

so this football fan loving dork has highlighted in bold & screamed from the highest mountain ....that fumbles & misses has double the participation rates of RL & RU combined in the ACT using it i assume as some kind of pointer to the popularity of the game in Canberra
AR 8306
RU 2592
RL 1088

what this wanker has done tho , is put the entire number of fumbleball particpation up against just the senior playing numbers for well, RL at least & probably union too.
there are 5000 RL players in the ACT all ages , there are 25 senior & more then 200 junior teams alone , I mean are we seriously suggesting theres 5 players per team lol ????) , the District has over 6500 players 300 teams & when you include touch & tag that number is closer to 15000 players in the Canberra area.
Strangely , he hasn't drawn any conclusions on wether soccer's 20000 ACT participants makes it the most popular sport in the territory & far more popular then his beloved vicky kicky .. I wonder why?

straight away ... Houston we have a problem.
The figures are flawed , geared & as I alluded to part of narrative from a biased afl loving clown.
Dr Fujak freely admits that the ACT is a blank spot not only in his research but in the whole field of research that needs further study, and that aside of from some social media statistics all of it should be looked into more deeply because it's just a surface level analysis. The same is true for basically all the towns and cities that lie directly on the 'Barassi Line' with the exception of Wagga Wagga.

I'm sure if you contacted him with the correct statistics that he'd correct himself.

There's also a vast difference between saying that participation rates are an indicator of the popularly of a sport and that they are the sole factor in determining the popularity of a sport.

The Great Dane

First Grade
well nrl nines has been around longer and played more so I’d expect the level of awareness to be a bit better, but both tournaments aren’t exactly well marketed or hold much credibility! I’d still rather see countries playing than second grade nrl teams though.
What we want and what is are two different things.

You may prefer to watch countries play, but it's pretty obvious from recent times that the same can't be said of the mainstream culture in Australia when it comes to RL.

I also find it slightly ironic that you say you'd rather watch countries play than second grade NRL teams when with the exception of Aus, NZ, Eng, and a few others, most national teams are made up of heritage players whom it's arguable whether they should even be representing the nation they are playing for at all, and second grade (or lower) standard players.

Dr Fujak freely admits that the ACT is a blank spot not only in his research but in the whole field of research that needs further study, and that aside of from some social media statistics all of it should be looked into more deeply because it's just a surface level analysis. The same is true for basically all the towns and cities that lie directly on the 'Barassi Line' with the exception of Wagga Wagga.

I'm sure if you contacted him with the correct statistics that he'd correct himself.

There's also a vast difference between saying that participation rates are an indicator of the popularly of a sport and that they are the sole factor in determining the popularity of a sport.
hahahahaha

if .... I... contacted him ?
Isn't he a celebrated academic renowned throughout the land as an imminent expert in his field ?
His figures are not only wrong , they're demonstrably so , misleading & woefully biased. And that took just one look at one fact of his.

Like I said
yea nah

The Great Dane

First Grade
hahahahaha

if .... I... contacted him ?
Isn't he a celebrated academic renowned throughout the land as an imminent expert in his field ?
That neither makes him infallible or an expert in every facet of his field, hence why he freely admits that the ACT is a blind spot of his and poorly researched within the field as a whole.
His figures are not only wrong , they're demonstrably so , misleading & woefully biased. And that took just one look at one fact of his.

Like I said
yea nah
You know you haven't actually demonstrated that he's wrong, let alone that he is biased...

Until you source his numbers and your own you're simply challenging his numbers. For all we know you could either be misquoting or misrepresenting either set of numbers, or they could be pulled completely out of your arse.

You still haven't answered my question BTW. Have you read the book, yes or no?

Last edited:
The year 2023 will be significant within NZ sport, marking year one of a renewed and intriguing battle for the hearts and minds of Kiwis who love their footy (and for ‘footy’, read rugby union and rugby league). The National Rugby League’s (NRL) current Kiwi broadcasting deal lapses at the end of next season. And while there was the expectation of a Dutch auction with Spark Sport for the future Kiwi rights, Sky TV slipped under its rival’s guard and quietly sold the NRL on a fresh deal through to the end of 2027. There is no doubt the new agreement represents the league’s most significant opportunity in New Zealand since ... well, since Super League. The NRL's 5-point Kiwi war plan Capitalise on free-to-air TV coverage in New Zealand of selected showpiece games to grow awareness and interest. Create new competitions and player pathways in NZ in concert with a multi-million dollar marketing programme. Support the NZRL in turning the Kiwis (and Tonga) into consistently formidable test opposition. Bring more big matches across the Tasman including a ‘Magic Round’ (a full round of club matches in one city over one weekend). Establish a second Kiwi franchise in 2024 in either Wellington or Christchurch. By extending its NRL contact with the Australian Rugby League Commission, Sky struck a massive blow in its stoush with Spark Sport (declaration of interest: I do some consultancy work for Sky. However, all commentators agree that Spark’s failure to secure NRL rights was a big setback). Australian media reported the competitive tension between Sky and Spark resulted in a 70% increase on the old deal, claiming the ARLC will reap A$160 million (NZ$167m) over five years compared to the $A94m from the previous contract. “This is an exceptional result for our game,” the NRL’s South African-born CEO Andrew Abdo said at the time. No question there. But it was what Abdo said in other interviews afterwards that should cause ears to prick on this side of the Tasman. “We will invest aggressively in NZ pathways and go head-to-head with rugby union.”

The league’s elephant in the room on this side of the Ditch has always been the Warriors and their quarter-century of under-performance.

From 2024, Sky and the NRL could potentially double those prospects. That is the year the NRL is almost certain to add an 18th franchise to their club competition. The new Brisbane-based Dolphins will become the 17th in 2023 with another due the year later to precipitate a probable move to a dual conference system. Wellington or Christchurch remains the favourite as the next expansion franchise. A second side in New Zealand is a win-win. Suddenly, Sky’s new deal looks more appealing if there are two Kiwi NRL franchises for four years of the agreement while it also allows Abdo and V’Landys, who have both been championing an additional Kiwi franchise in the Aussie press, to attack rugby nurseries south of Auckland. Central to that plan is securing the best young talent (something that has happened in Australia with union now lagging well behind the NRL and AFL in appeal to teenage prospects). By extension, in commercial synchronicity, the eyeballs, hearts, minds and then the wallets of fans will follow.

The NRL is to insular to take on the AB's as it's not international friendly.
The ARLC/NRL ambitions don't extend beyond SOO

MugaB

Coach
The NRL is to insular to take on the AB's as it's not international friendly.
The ARLC/NRL ambitions don't extend beyond SOO
State of Origin is the jewel in the crown -james "derp" hooper
Yeah need qld to be strong again... quick News ltd put shit on penrith... sorry i mean the NSW team

MugaB

Coach
The biggest honour in team sport is to play for your country. Not a city suburb or state
Thats fine and dandy, but who are you playing against? Australia is a powerhouse in RL, and if your playing ALF you don your gueRnSZy to play some shithouse mixed up version of a game against the Irish..
If you are only getting tested against the likes of NZRL then it doesn't feel like a challenge, in saying that yes should feel honoured to get chosen tho yes, but as far as pinnacle competition... State of Origin hands down