What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
hmmmmm
lets see ....

so this football fan loving dork has highlighted in bold & screamed from the highest mountain ....that fumbles & misses has double the participation rates of RL & RU combined in the ACT using it i assume as some kind of pointer to the popularity of the game in Canberra
AR 8306
RU 2592
RL 1088

what this wanker has done tho , is put the entire number of fumbleball particpation up against just the senior playing numbers for well, RL at least & probably union too.
there are 5000 RL players in the ACT all ages , there are 25 senior & more then 200 junior teams alone , I mean are we seriously suggesting theres 5 players per team lol ????) , the District has over 6500 players 300 teams & when you include touch & tag that number is closer to 15000 players in the Canberra area.
Strangely , he hasn't drawn any conclusions on wether soccer's 20000 ACT participants makes it the most popular sport in the territory & far more popular then his beloved vicky kicky .. I wonder why?

straight away ... Houston we have a problem.
The figures are flawed , geared & as I alluded to part of narrative from a biased afl loving clown.
Totally agree those are very wooly indeed. Shame both codes have become very clandestine about playing numbers, AFL moving to participation, which NRL followed then abandoned all together giving any data.

MugaB

Coach
Not in parochial NSW and Qlnd it seems. Having said that Origin only hold such high esteem as its a massive cash cow for the NRL so not surprising they pump up its tyres so much which has led to the over hype and negelct of country.
Your just jealous, coz there's no WA or Vic
Tehe

The Great Dane

First Grade
The biggest honour in team sport is to play for your country. Not a city suburb or state
People can keep saying things like this all they like, but unless reality backs it up it's just meaningless rhetoric.

The harsh reality is that by basically every metric SOO and club football is significantly more popular, profitable, and relevant within Australian culture than international football. So whether we like it or not, at least in this sport in this country, playing for your country isn't the highest honour by any relevant measure, and repeating over and over that it is, or should be, doesn't change that fact.

Now that might be upsetting to you, and I imagine that we probably agree that both the NRL and RL would be better for it if international RL was a stronger product, but it is what it is.

Besides, there're very good arguments why a sport being over reliant on international competition is a very bad thing, just ask the ARU or RFL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thats fine and dandy, but who are you playing against? Australia is a powerhouse in RL, and if your playing ALF you don your gueRnSZy to play some shithouse mixed up version of a game against the Irish..
If you are only getting tested against the likes of NZRL then it doesn't feel like a challenge, in saying that yes should feel honoured to get chosen tho yes, but as far as pinnacle competition... State of Origin hands down
Whilst I don't dispute that Australia is the powerhouse in world RL, the Kangaroos have gone 2 and 2 in their last four outings, are currently ranked number 2 in the world and only beat England by 6 points in the last world cup final. The sport internationally is becoming much more competitive.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst I don't dispute that Australia is the powerhouse in world RL, the Kangaroos have gone 2 and 2 in their last four outings, are currently ranked number 2 in the world and only beat England by 6 points in the last world cup final. The sport internationally is becoming much more competitive.
and a simple change to prioritise country over origin would help even more. Allow players to play origin and nominate for a country other than Australia. Look at how a couple of defections to Tonga changed their fortunes and brought massive interest to the international game.

That neither makes him infallible or an expert in every facet of his field, hence why he freely admits that the ACT is a blind spot of his and poorly researched within the field as a whole.

You know you haven't actually demonstrated that he's wrong, let alone that he is biased...

Until you source his numbers and your own you're simply challenging his numbers. For all we know you could either be misquoting or misrepresenting either set of numbers, or they could be pulled completely out of your arse.

You still haven't answered my question BTW. Have you read the book, yes or no?
hahaha, infallible ?
hes incompetent lol

just under 6000 according to the CRRL
theres the horses mouth right there

so your mate Dr Jackoff or whatever his name is .... is wrong.
I don't need to read his book , as I clearly demonstrated above , hes a fumbleball loving halfwit ( much like you )
so why would I

Perth Red

Post Whore
hahaha, infallible ?
hes incompetent lol

I don't need to read his book , as I clearly demonstrated above , hes a fumbleball loving halfwit ( much like you )
so why would I
participation is such a sketchy thing to measure. A DO spending an afternoon at a school is 100 more “participants”. Should only report regsitered players imo.

participation is such a sketchy thing to measure. A DO spending an afternoon at a school is 100 more “participants”. Should only report regsitered players imo.
the only sport caught doing this to vomit inducing levels is your beloved derps & misses

Those CRRL numbers are club registered players , with the 300 teams in the area having about 20 registered players per team.
Not the 5 per team Dr Fu.koff , the eminent scholar from Melbourne tried to make out hahahaha

The Great Dane

First Grade
and a simple change to prioritise country over origin would help even more. Allow players to play origin and nominate for a country other than Australia. Look at how a couple of defections to Tonga changed their fortunes and brought massive interest to the international game.
You can't be a NSWelshman or Queenslander and not be an Australian. Make that change and SOO loses all meaning and becomes another All Stars game for nobody to care about. That wouldn't be good for anybody, and isn't how you go about increasing international football's popularity.

BTW, Tonga's current success is unsustainable, and the fact that only one of their starting 17 at the last world cup was born, raised, or had lived in Tonga should be a massive red flag.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
hahaha, infallible ?
hes incompetent lol

so why would I
Those aren't numbers for just the ACT though, as the CRRL includes large parts of the surrounding region in NSW including Queanbeyan, Yass, Goulburn, Cooma, Bungendore, and many more.

So the question we have to ask is what percentage of those 5798 participants are actually from the ACT. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if roughly half are actually from NSW.

mongoose

Coach
I haven't read the book but its unbelievable the luck and fortune the AFL has had over many decades and the bad luck and calamities the other codes have suffered over that period.
AFL may have had some financial issues in the 80s and early 90s but didn't harm its popularity.

Interesting that News ltd's involvement with Rugby league seems to have done nothing but harm in Australia and England. I have have always been very suspicious of Murdoch's involvement in rugby league. He gives the game lots of money but at what cost? Just remember what city he was born in....

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I haven't read the book but its unbelievable the luck and fortune the AFL has had over many decades and the bad luck and calamities the other codes have suffered over that period.
AFL may have had some financial issues in the 80s and early 90s but didn't harm its popularity.

Interesting that News ltd's involvement with Rugby league seems to have done nothing but harm in Australia and England. I have have always been very suspicious of Murdoch's involvement in rugby league. He gives the game lots of money but at what cost? Just remember what city he was born in....
One could argue News Corp's previous involvement in rugby union has damaged that code too.

Speaking of incompetence, I said he's not infallible.

You obviously haven't read his book, and don't know anything about his work, so how about you go and read it before even pretending to have a clue what you are talking about.
i looked at one entry .. one piece of this celebrated scholars work , one fact he .... published ... in a book
& exposed it as utter tripe & embarrassingly inaccurate . I don't need to see anymore of this biased rubbish or the authors work to know he is pushing an agenda & is a typical fumble ball loving ignoramus ( much like you ) As I predicted he would be 😎

Those aren't numbers for just the ACT though, as the CRRL includes large parts of the surrounding region in NSW including Queanbeyan, Yass, Goulburn, Cooma, Bungendore, and many more.

So the question we have to ask is what percentage of those 5798 participants are actually from the ACT. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if roughly half are actually from NSW.
whats 50% of 6000
last time I looked it wasn't 1098

seniors might be around 50% in country NSW
Juniors I'd say a lot more club registered players reside in the ACT because there are a lot more clubs at Junior level then senior & they're the bigger junior clubs too.
Gungahlin Bulls alone have 24 teams U6 to U16's
more then 400 players for one club.
The other big junior clubs are West Belconnen in the north , The Valley Dragons & Tuggeranong Knights in the south.

The number of juniors in total in the region is 4600 also recently announced by the CRRL.
I'd say of them 70% are from the ACT.

Falsifying junior playing numbers has helped fumbleball gets lots of taxpayers and they have been caught out more than once stealing us taxpayers money