What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Actually both codes do it. Nrl started doing it around 2016. Mind you it doesn’t even bother with the sketchy numbers since Vlandys took over. That article literally says “partcipation” a number of times and makes no mention of registered players.
hahahaha
must be a dark & lonely place up there eh ?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1
Obviously Dr Fujak's number can't be from 2021, so you wouldn't expect his numbers to match up with the CRRL's from 2021...
The numbers were 5105 in 2019 ( clearly stated in the article )
Its a sad reflection on society & education that people can't add up

After all half of 5798 is only 2899, and it isn't so far to drop from that rough guesstimation to 1098

hahahahaha
omfg , an academic & eminent scholar using " guestimates "
hahahaha

surely if its 66% inaccurate its still close enough to prove my point , hahahahah
oh wow
you've made my day

here..
you've earnt the " fumbletards can't do anything wrong award too
well done
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Chalmers now saying $50mill on the table? It’s gone up $20mill in just a few months lol. He wants a team in Wellington yet everyone I’ve heard who lives in Wellington says it wouldnt work
After the disaster he was at the Bradford Bulls Chalmers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a Rugby League club

Reactions: TGG

mongoose

Coach
It is interesting. Any option they could pick in a major market in NZ and Australia (outside of say another side in Sydney) would be financially viable but I’m intrigued why the NRL (if this is indeed true) are bullish about taking on Rugby in NZ but so hesitant on taking on AFL in Australia.

Someone living in NZ can verify it for me but I always was under the impression that support for Rugby Union and the All Blacks within NZ was at least comparable to that of AFL in Victoria, SA or WA?
The AFL is a cashed up juggernaut, NZRU is vulnerable with South Africa leaving SANZAAR and Australia just being shit.

There won't be the money in Super Rugby on offer that you could potentially get the NRL and money is everything. Rugby players will have to move to the other side of the world to get comparable salaries. From what I know pacific islanders have very close families so staying put in NZ or moving to Australia is a more appealing option even if they have to play a culturally less prestigious game in League.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It is interesting. Any option they could pick in a major market in NZ and Australia (outside of say another side in Sydney) would be financially viable but I’m intrigued why the NRL (if this is indeed true) are bullish about taking on Rugby in NZ but so hesitant on taking on AFL in Australia.

Someone living in NZ can verify it for me but I always was under the impression that support for Rugby Union and the All Blacks within NZ was at least comparable to that of AFL in Victoria, SA or WA?
My thoughts are firstly is for greater access to NZ playing talent, the second reason is greater increase in NZ TV money as well as some FTA exposure for the game's events plus I assume some Warriors and NZ2 games. If we compare NZ2 to Perth for example. Perth will increase the Aus TV money because of the timeslot and the extra game to sell. NZ2 will increase the Aus TV money because of the extra games to sell PLUS boost the NZ TV money.

When it comes to taking on the All Blacks, the NRL obviously isn't going to rival them with a new Christchurch or Wellington franchise alone, however the overall strategy seems to be to increase the profile of the game by boosting NZ playing numbers, boosting viewers on TV in NZ and using the greater financial power of the NRL over the NZRU to ensure the next generation of NZ's finest Rugby players are playing in the NRL and for the Kiwis not in Super Rugby and for the All Blacks. The other thing to consider is that if (yes it is an if) the Warriors had a golden run for where they actually got their shit together and won a few premierships, their popularity would soar dramatically and not overtake the All Blacks but certainly be a close second.

Taking on the AFL in Perth and eventually Adelaide will happen, but the TV money and NZ playing talent that is the big carrot they are chasing here in my opinion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL is a cashed up juggernaut, NZRU is vulnerable with South Africa leaving SANZAAR and Australia just being shit.

There won't be the money in Super Rugby on offer that you could potentially get the NRL and money is everything. Rugby players will have to move to the other side of the world to get comparable salaries. From what I know pacific islanders have very close families so staying put in NZ or moving to Australia is a more appealing option even if they have to play a culturally less prestigious game in League.
by that logic the Warriors should be the Melbourne Storm of the NRL, but they arent. Why would a second team have any more success getting players to swap codes than the Warriors have had>?

MugaB

Coach
My thoughts are firstly is for greater access to NZ playing talent, the second reason is greater increase in NZ TV money as well as some FTA exposure for the game's events plus I assume some Warriors and NZ2 games. If we compare NZ2 to Perth for example. Perth will increase the Aus TV money because of the timeslot and the extra game to sell. NZ2 will increase the Aus TV money because of the extra games to sell PLUS boost the NZ TV money.

When it comes to taking on the All Blacks, the NRL obviously isn't going to rival them with a new Christchurch or Wellington franchise alone, however the overall strategy seems to be to increase the profile of the game by boosting NZ playing numbers, boosting viewers on TV in NZ and using the greater financial power of the NRL over the NZRU to ensure the next generation of NZ's finest Rugby players are playing in the NRL and for the Kiwis not in Super Rugby and for the All Blacks. The other thing to consider is that if (yes it is an if) the Warriors had a golden run for where they actually got their shit together and won a few premierships, their popularity would soar dramatically and not overtake the All Blacks but certainly be a close second.

Taking on the AFL in Perth and eventually Adelaide will happen, but the TV money and NZ playing talent that is the big carrot they are chasing here in my opinion.
Wait to you see what PVL has in store for the Everest,... seems that there are international race owners coming here and getting rejected by the Melbourne cup or realistically Victoria Racing board, as they have rules set in play for horses that could "potentially" bow out, so they do these stringent tests and video on the horses beforehand.... PVL has already said Fk all that!, NSW racing has a come as you are policy, and if your horse bows out on the day then thats the risk youve taken, not this buullshit test crap weeks out before the biggest race season... and see him double/triple the prize money, just to stick it right up the vics...
Say what you want about ol V'dog, but he sees an opportunity to pounce, then bury a rival, he"ll do it... seems like RU in NZ is next... only a matter of time for ALF.. snark

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
After the disaster he was at the Bradford Bulls Chalmers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a Rugby League club
I'm still staggered how the Bulls could go from one of the biggest clubs in the world to bankrupt and homeless so quickly! I stood on the terraces of Odsal in the summer of '97 with 20k others when SL kicked off and thought wow this is what RL is going to be! Chalmers led that absolute failure, I'd be very wary as well!

ReddFelon

Juniors

South Africa hasn't left SANZAAR. Their 4 Super Rugby teams have moved to the URC. SA will never leave Sanzaar because that would require them moving the entire country to a different hemisphere.

New Zealand Rugby sold 12% of their shares to a private equity group and walked away with $390 million NZD. The total value of NZ Rugby is $3.1 billion NZD or roughly $2.9 billion AUD. So NZ Rugby isn't any less chased up nor any more vulnerable than the AFL.

In terms of comparable market size NZ has the same population as Queensland. The QRL certainly isn't worth $3 billion.

mongoose

Coach
South Africa hasn't left SANZAAR. Their 4 Super Rugby teams have moved to the URC. SA will never leave Sanzaar because that would require them moving the entire country to a different hemisphere.

New Zealand Rugby sold 12% of their shares to a private equity group and walked away with $390 million NZD. The total value of NZ Rugby is $3.1 billion NZD or roughly $2.9 billion AUD. So NZ Rugby isn't any less chased up nor any more vulnerable than the AFL.

In terms of comparable market size NZ has the same population as Queensland. The QRL certainly isn't worth $3 billion.
That's all good but how are the players going to earn large salaries with Super Rugby on its knees, especially the ones who don't play for the All Blacks? I can't see a NZ domestic only competition generating that much money.

ReddFelon

Juniors
That's all good but how are the players going to earn large salaries with Super Rugby on its knees, especially the ones who don't play for the All Blacks? I can't see a NZ domestic only competition generating that much money.

Not sure why you think Super Rugby is on its knees? It's actually in a much better position post-pandemic than it was prior.

12 team competition, money coming in from World Rugby because of the inclusion of Fiji and the Pacific Islands. The Rugby Australia Stan/Channel 9 deal has seen an increase in sponorship support (Helped by the 500,000 viewers for the Reds/Brumbies final early in the year). Andrew Forrest and other private investors are buying shares in Rugby Australia in the same way NZ Rugby sold their shares to the US. NZ Rugby owns 5% of Sky Sports now too.

They're not vulnerable in anyway, it's foolish for the NRL to think it will be easier to compete with NZ Rugby than the AFL.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Makes more sense to me for Perth to be 18th if only for the reason we already have a NZ team, but dont have a WA/SA team. Why have two NZ teams and no WA/SA teams when you can have 1 and 1.

Better to get as much representation across the lands than to double up somewhere.

Also because if you choose NZ2, it could be yet another 10-20 years before we see WA/SA.

Not sure why you think Super Rugby is on its knees? It's actually in a much better position post-pandemic than it was prior.

12 team competition, money coming in from World Rugby because of the inclusion of Fiji and the Pacific Islands. The Rugby Australia Stan/Channel 9 deal has seen an increase in sponorship support (Helped by the 500,000 viewers for the Reds/Brumbies final early in the year). Andrew Forrest and other private investors are buying shares in Rugby Australia in the same way NZ Rugby sold their shares to the US. NZ Rugby owns 5% of Sky Sports now too.

They're not vulnerable in anyway, it's foolish for the NRL to think it will be easier to compete with NZ Rugby than the AFL.
so its gone from being completely f..ked to... slightly less then completely f..ked

Cool

TGG

Juniors

NZRPA haven’t approved that deal yet.

Matiunz

Juniors
I feel he is looking at both Wellington and Christchurch, but will settle for wherever the NRL feels the best area would benefit league, that said don't be suprised if its a cross town Auckland based club or bay of plenty regional based club.... surely they'd get Wellington as the prime area since there isn't much of a direct rival, but in terms of population and future planning Christchurch should be the location IMO

2nd Auckland club would be a big risk and would pretty much cannibalise the Warriors. Not sure they could fit in a market that already has 2 super rugby franchises and 3 NPC teams to compete with alongside the Warriors.
Club based in BOP or Waikato is too close realistically to some who would travel to see the Warriors anyway plus too small of a market to compete against the chiefs and 2 more NPC clubs.

Wellington and Christchurch are pretty much neck and neck for population but Wellington has the advantage of another million odd people in the surrounding provinces- the whole of the South Island is barely a million and travel distance is too large to get regular travelling fans.
Together Wellington and Christchurch have a solid population with surrounding provinces but it’d be like a team based in Newcastle and Canberra but on different islands. It’s unlikely you’d get Wellington fans travel in large numbers to Chch and vice versa, Chch public would possibly struggle to support a north island team but aren’t large enough to support one on their own.

Lack of success of the Warriors is often cited as a reason not to include NZ 2 but many Kiwis support the Warriors simply because they are an NZ team. In reality the Warriors barely engage the rest of the country outside of Auckland which leaves another 3.5 million potential supporters for a 2nd side.

The biggest challenge league faces in NZ is simply not being an option to play in the majority of schools, at Club level in the provinces it is pretty heavily entrenched with gangs in many places which is a heavy deterrent.

Matiunz

Juniors
I don't get all the "code war" BS the media come out with. RL will never take over NZ, but it doesn't need to. Just being watched and played by enough people to keep the game strong and profitable is all we need. AwFuL doesn't need to kill RL in Brisbane and Sydney to be strong.
There’s plenty of fans that like both codes in NZ. Coming in with a ‘takeover’ mentality -particularly from Aus will alienate

Latest posts