What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

No way you have Perth and Warriors/NZ2 in the same conference. They do enough travelling as it is. Make Easts and Souths travel for once

also AFAIK, there are no direct flights to/from Newcastle from NZ. NnZ shouldn’t have two flights while there is one conference full of Sydney clubs
NZ to Sydney to Newcastle or Newcastle to Sydney to NZ- it's not like they are swimming there - i mean how hard is it to get on plane sit back and in a few hours your at your destination.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
NZ to Sydney to Newcastle or Newcastle to Sydney to NZ- it's not like they are swimming there - i mean how hard is it to get on plane sit back and in a few hours your at your destination.
Im not sure your getting the concept, regardless of if they are currently travelling or how they (interstate teams) are traveling, the issue with conferences is haves and have nots... and your advocating for an all sydney only conference, and the rest, who'll have to travel long flights more often than the conf who'll won't... this creates a rift and an unfair bias, where right now as one unified competition, its more of a stiff shit situation, but if you intend to pool everyone that isn't sydney in one conference, it will deter the competition, due to most marqee athletes won't want to travel as much, thus boosting the sydney clubs chances at acquiring them...

The only way to split the current setup of clubs is straight thru the middle of Sydney , then add the nearest interstate teams to it... like I've said many posts before, north/south divide that goes straight thru "homebush stadium" as its centre, any club north of the M4 plays for the northern conference, any club south of the M4, southern conference...
As for wests tigers since they are both north in leichardt and south in campbelltown, but having concord as their base makes them just in the north, aswell as a possible expansion in a Perth team, and Adelaide or Nz2 in the South etc

Last edited:
Im not sure your getting the concept, regardless of if they are currently travelling or how they (interstate teams) are traveling, the issue with conferences is haves and have nots... and your advocating for an all sydney only conference, and the rest, who'll have to travel long flights more often than the conf who'll won't... this creates a rift and an unfair bias, where right now as one unified competition, its more of a stiff shit situation, but if you intend to pool everyone that isn't sydney in one conference, it will deter the competition, due to most marqee athletes won't want to travel as much, thus boosting the sydney clubs chances at acquiring them...

The only way to split the current setup of clubs is straight thru the middle of Sydney , then add the nearest interstate teams to it... like I've said many posts before, north/south divide that goes straight thru "homebush stadium" as its centre, any club north of the M4 plays for the northern conference, any club south of the M4, southern conference...
As for wests tigers since they are both north in leichardt and south in campbelltown, but having concord as their base makes them just in the north, aswell as a possible expansion in a Perth team, and Adelaide or Nz2 in the South etc
mmm civil war perhaps North vs South - Blue vs the Grey

Don't see how that would work- so under your example since Penrith is closest to Perth and Adelaide they are in the same conference. And the Dragons when they play at Wollongong are closest to NZ so they are in the same conference. - Just across the Wollongong Ocean as Vautin called it.

Wests Tigers are North and South but just a little bit more North than South- So the North will be in the same conference as QLD teams as they are closer to these than the South

So under your north / south idea it would be the following

North - 4 QLD teams/ Wests Tigers/ Manly/Newcastle/Roosters/Souths

South - Dogs/Parra/Penrith/Raiders/Dragons/Storm/Sharks/NZ/ Second NZ team or Perth or Adelaide

QLD have 4 teams and could have 5 in a 18 team comp say- so all will be in the same conference as the NRL would be looking for rivalries etc - add another 4 in Storm/Raiders/Knights and NZ and there's your 9 teams - You can't say oh put 4 Sydney Teams in that conference instead though or 2 Queensland teams in one conference and 3 in another and also if a second NZ team they will be in the same conference as the Warriors

The players will go to whoever will pay them what they are after basically though.

You can't keep adding teams and have the same format - next year 17 teams so play each other once and 8 teams twice is some lucky dip draw scenario which the NRL doesn't provide info on how it was derived at.

If they keep on expanding and say end up with 24 teams what then play each team once and 1 team twice.

You need a comp structure where teams play the same teams the same number of times - a 2 conference system of 9 teams or if a 20 team comp - 4 conferences or divisions of 5 teams provides this

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
mmm civil war perhaps North vs South - Blue vs the Grey

Don't see how that would work- so under your example since Penrith is closest to Perth and Adelaide they are in the same conference. And the Dragons when they play at Wollongong are closest to NZ so they are in the same conference. - Just across the Wollongong Ocean as Vautin called it.

Wests Tigers are North and South but just a little bit more North than South- So the North will be in the same conference as QLD teams as they are closer to these than the South

So under your north / south idea it would be the following

North - 4 QLD teams/ Wests Tigers/ Manly/Newcastle/Roosters/Souths

South - Dogs/Parra/Penrith/Raiders/Dragons/Storm/Sharks/NZ/ Second NZ team or Perth or Adelaide

QLD have 4 teams and could have 5 in a 18 team comp say- so all will be in the same conference as the NRL would be looking for rivalries etc - add another 4 in Storm/Raiders/Knights and NZ and there's your 9 teams - You can't say oh put 4 Sydney Teams in that conference instead though or 2 Queensland teams in one conference and 3 in another and also if a second NZ team they will be in the same conference as the Warriors

The players will go to whoever will pay them what they are after basically though.

You can't keep adding teams and have the same format - next year 17 teams so play each other once and 8 teams twice is some lucky dip draw scenario which the NRL doesn't provide info on how it was derived at.

If they keep on expanding and say end up with 24 teams what then play each team once and 1 team twice.

You need a comp structure where teams play the same teams the same number of times - a 2 conference system of 9 teams or if a 20 team comp - 4 conferences or divisions of 5 teams provides this
North vs South is what State of Origin is really, so could be maroon vs blue as it is now

Perth is north, on a map it lines up with Newcastle,
Adelaide on a map lines up with Canberra so its South... Auckland lines up with Melbourne, so yeah anywhere in NZ is going to be south...
Penrith is higher on a map than manly, manly lines up with parramatta...
As for closest to Perth the Storm is the closest club to Perth, which makes it moot to line up any rivals that aren't in WA really
Geography is something people should factor in especially regarding conferences
I can post a map of Australia and its locations if it makes it easier

@NRL MAP conferences0.png

Northern Conference
Cowboys
Dolphins
Broncos
Titans
Knights
Perth
Penrith
Parra
Manly
Tigers

Southern Conference
Souths
Roosters
Bulldogs
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders
Adelaide
Storm
Warriors
NZ2

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
That's right, i wouldn't have more than 2 conferences anyway.
I'd pool it this way
Northern
Cows, Bronx, Fins, Titans, Knights, Manly, Parra, Wests, Penrith, Add Perth

Southern
Souths, Easts, Dogs, Sharks, Dragons, Raiders, Storm, Warriors, NZ2, add Adelaide
That’s as good as you’re going to get it. The north/south boundary is Parramatta Road

Diesel

Referee
the amount of travel involved is minuscule to say the least compared to teams in overseas sports competitions - not all the EPL games are played in London or NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB games are all played in New York or Los Angeles- they travel and significant distances too.

If teams such as Raiders/Storm/Knights in the conference with the two NZ teams played the Warriors twice in the current comp under normal circumstances they would be traveling once to NZ so 2 times is not an issue.

All the Queensland teams plus Knights/Warriors/Raiders/Storm travel no matter what - Raiders i understand travel by bus to Sydney which takes 3 or more hours each way which would be a lot more gruelling and fatiguing than flying- playing 9 or 10 Greater Sydney Teams once would only entail 4 or 5 bus trips -flying is 50 mins to 1 hr - not sure about how the Knights travel to Sydney

Storm and Warriors of course fly to every away game.
The travel aside, if you had a predominately Sydney conference, you’re favouring those clubs over non-Sydney as players do not need to change house, kids school or partners job if they change a team

MugaB

Coach
That’s as good as you’re going to get it. The north/south boundary is Parramatta Road
Yep, whipped up a quick map, to show with some geographical showcase, helps when you can see distance and placement, so for me parramatta road or M4 going thru Homebush stadium as the centre

North vs South is what State of Origin is really, so could be maroon vs blue as it is now

Perth is north, on a map it lines up with Newcastle,
Adelaide on a map lines up with Canberra so its South... Auckland lines up with Melbourne, so yeah anywhere in NZ is going to be south...
Penrith is higher on a map than manly, manly lines up with parramatta...
As for closest to Perth the Storm is the closest club to Perth, which makes it moot to line up any rivals that aren't in WA really
Geography is something people should factor in especially regarding conferences
I can post a map of Australia and its locations if it makes it easier

Northern Conference
NthQld cowboys
Dolphins
Broncos
Titans
Knights
Perth
Penrith
Parra
Manly
Tigers

Southern Conference
Souths
Roosters
Bulldogs
Sharks
Dragons
Raiders
Adelaide
Storm
Warriors
NZ2

Cartographer is not a job for you I suggest nor is Geography your strong point

You must have a different map as Perth is on the West coast of Australia mmm why they call that State Western Australia and they have an AFL team called the West Coast Eagles

Perth lines up with Newcastle on a map so they are North??? - give or take a 4000 odd km drive or 5 hr flight to the west coast- west coast!!!

Adelaide lines up with Canberra?? - Canberra lines up with all State and Territory Capitals if you draw lines on a map that is which is the same for your other assumptions of places lining up

Manly is "higher" on a map than Parramatta which is "higher" on a map than Penrith

Manly is North of the Sydney CBD why they call that area the Northern Beaches/Northern Sydney and Parramatta and Penrith are West of the Sydney CBD and why they call that area Western Sydney/Western Suburbs.

Auckland lines up with Melbourne??? - mmm Tasman sea though - if you had a world map Auckland could line up with any city in the world when you draw a line between the two on the map that is

A better Conference with the teams you have listed would be as follows

Conference/Division A
NthQld cowboys
Dolphins
Broncos
Titans
Knights

Conference/Division B
Perth
Penrith
Parra
Bulldogs
Tigers

Conference/Division C
Souths
Roosters
Manly
Sharks
Dragons

Conference/Division D
Raiders
Adelaide
Storm
Warriors
NZ2

You can't complain about the travel for Conference/Division D teams as you said they all line up

"Adelaide on a map lines up with Canberra so its South... Auckland lines up with Melbourne, so yeah anywhere in NZ is going to be south..."

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Cartographer is not a job for you I suggest nor is Geography your strong point

You must have a different map as Perth is on the West coast of Australia mmm why they call that State Western Australia and they have an AFL team called the West Coast Eagles

Perth lines up with Newcastle on a map so they are North??? - give or take a 4000 odd km drive or 5 hr flight to the west coast- west coast!!!

Adelaide lines up with Canberra?? - Canberra lines up with all State and Territory Capitals if you draw lines on a map that is which is the same for your other assumptions of places lining up

Manly is higher on a map than Parramatta which is higher on a map than Penrith

Manly is North of the Sydney CBD why they call that area the Northern Beaches/Northern Sydney and Parramatta and Penrith are West of the Sydney CBD and why they call that area Western Sydney/Western Suburbs.

Auckland lines up with Melbourne??? - mmm Tasman sea though - if you had a world map Auckland could line up with any city in the world when you draw a line between the two on the map that is

A better Conference with the teams you have listed would be as follows

Conference/Division A
NthQld cowboys
Dolphins
Broncos
Titans
Knights

Conference/Division B
Perth
Penrith
Parra
Bulldogs
Tigers

Conference/Division C
Souths
Roosters
Manly
Sharks
Dragons

Conference/Division D
Raiders
Adelaide
Storm
Warriors
NZ2
Look at a map and draw a straight "HORIZONTAL" line from Perth to Newcastle... west to east
Screenshot_20211220-222858_Maps.jpg
Im not sure if you've seen a map of Australia and NZ, but we were talking about splitting the conferences in two north and south, and your still harping on about splitting it 4 ways, then upset/begrudgingly pot shotting the reasons where clubs are,
Well i can tell you now HORIZONTALLY these clubs we referenced line up, HORIZONTALLY, you are talking about state borderlines, then WA is then still north

Could Make origin more nationally interesting with a conference all stars game instead!
I was thinking also if a 20 team comp and 4 divisions - a pre-season division vs division games- 2 games - the 2 winners play off for a trophy.- 4 quarter football - 20 minute halves

Fans select the teams and coaches for the division the team they support are in- specially designed jumpers as well.

Surely the NRL has plans to revamp the comp and make it new and fresh by having conferences if an 18 team comp(2 conferences of 9 teams) and divisions if a 20 team comp( 4 divisions of 5 teams) - just adding more teams doesn't cut the mustard anymore and only adds to the increasing disenchanted that fans have over the draw.

Having conferences and or divisions will ensure that all teams in whatever conference and or division they are in will all play the same teams the same number of times.

Look at a map and draw a straight "HORIZONTAL" line from Perth to Newcastle... west to east
View attachment 56742
Im not sure if you've seen a map of Australia and NZ, but we were talking about splitting the conferences in two north and south, and your still harping on about splitting it 4 ways, then upset/begrudgingly pot shotting the reasons where clubs are,
Well i can tell you now HORIZONTALLY these clubs we referenced line up, HORIZONTALLY, you are talking about state borderlines, then WA is then still north
Show me how Auckland lines up with Melbourne

ash the bash

Juniors
Agree with some posters 18th club seems to be leaning towards NZ2.

- TV revenue dictates expansion as far as the NRL is concerned.
- NZ2 would give an uplift on SKY NZ as well as Aussie media rights for the extra game.
- Can't see a Perth team increasing the SKY NZ broadcast revenue. (I support a Perth NRL team btw)
- Therefore NZ2 would increase the rights for 2 broadcasters over just the one with another Aussie club.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

- NZ2 would give an uplift on SKY NZ as well as Aussie media rights for the extra game.
- Can't see a Perth team increasing the SKY NZ broadcast revenue. (I support a Perth NRL team btw)
- Therefore NZ2 would increase the rights for 2 broadcasters over just the one with another Aussie club.
The last point is the big one. NZ and Aus TV boost with NZ2 versus just an Aus TV boost for Perth. Add to that, the fact that NZ could easily produce more NRL-ready talent in a shorter time than Perth and it is a no brainer.

I'm with you, Perth is my preference but I can see the logic in NZ. It will be paid for by TV and the ongoing lucrative NZ TV rights will ensure their ongoing existence and underpin both NZ2 and the Warriors.

Once we've got NZ2 and Redcliffe successfully installed and the game's revenue humming along nicely with it, we can then look at investment into Perth and Adelaide with the game in a strong financial position to do so.

Colk

First Grade
The last point is the big one. NZ and Aus TV boost with NZ2 versus just an Aus TV boost for Perth. Add to that, the fact that NZ could easily produce more NRL-ready talent in a shorter time than Perth and it is a no brainer.

I'm with you, Perth is my preference but I can see the logic in NZ. It will be paid for by TV and the ongoing lucrative NZ TV rights will ensure their ongoing existence and underpin both NZ2 and the Warriors.

Once we've got NZ2 and Redcliffe successfully installed and the game's revenue humming along nicely with it, we can then look at investment into Perth and Adelaide with the game in a strong financial position to do so.

I think you’re perhaps being optimistic on the last point. I just don’t see the desire to go to either (in particular Adelaide). I think 18 is the magical number unless they see another Brisbane side in the offing in say 10 to 15 years.

flippikat

Bench

I mentioned on the TV rights thread that there's two big up-sides for Australian broadcasters in having NZ 2

* It helps solve the problem of that 6pm eastern (8pm NZ time) Friday night slot - more games in NZ at that time mean less Aussie clubs having to schedule their home games in that disliked slot.

* Production costs. The production costs for Aussie broadcasters are lower with NZ 2 as team 18, compared to Perth.. as Sky would have to shoot the home games.

Latest posts