What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's the same salary cap, just different tax bracket. Warriors pay different tax levels. Although admittedly this is a whole other level
It’s really not though is It?

nz is 1 or 2%? 150k or so different in player value. PNG will be $4mill or so different!

i dont think it’s a bad thing per se, we’ve got to find a way to get players to go live there or the club will be a laughing stock.
I’m just surprised, given the nature of nrl, that the clubs are happy to see one club get such a massive player payment dispensation.

Last edited:

cinders7

Juniors

nx is 1 or 2%? 150k or so different in player value. PNG will be $4mill or so different!

i dont think it’s a bad thing per se, we’ve got to find a way to get players to go live there or the club will be a laughing stock.
I’m just surprised, given the nature of nrl, that the clubs are happy to see one club get such a massive player payment dispensation.
Majority of the clubs only care about the yearly handout and their own backyard. PNG is far away and will mean mean bigger handout.

If they start making the finals regularly then we may see the usual personalities make some noise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Majority of the clubs only care about the yearly handout and their own backyard. PNG is far away and will mean mean bigger handout.

If they start making the finals regularly then we may see the usual personalities make some noise.
I think it'll only take the loss of a couple of star players and the moaning will begin! I wonder what the price threshold is to go live in PNG? $200k+ maybe? This gives them $4mill extra to play with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well submission deadline date is upon us. Shame we probably wont ever get to know who has put their bids in. How long till the leaks begin I wonder? Allegedly no announcement till October. Go the Adelaide Pandas!

Pippen94

First Grade
I think it'll only take the loss of a couple of star players and the moaning will begin! I wonder what the price threshold is to go live in PNG? $200k+ maybe? This gives them $4mill extra to play with.

Who cares?! Perth adding huge travel costs & problems. Clubs could complain about that too!!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

nz is 1 or 2%? 150k or so different in player value. PNG will be $4mill or so different!

They've been paid off 😉

BuffaloRules

Coach
Wouldn't be so sure. $400-500k a year more than they could earn anywhere else is a lot of money. The challenge will be keeping them for more than a year or two.

Not for a truly elite player..and why would they only worry about it for a “year or two”? Elite players sign long term contracts

BuffaloRules

Coach
Because playing in Port Moresby for a year or two for a wad more cash may seem manageable but for 6 or 7 years? Unlikely

Time will tell…

i suspect PNG Aussie signings will be in the main unproven youngsters or journeyman looking for that last payday before hanging up the boots.. PNG will have trouble spending the salary cap I predict