What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th team still possible this tv deal

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl has finalised tv deal, Abdo saying expansion still a possibility

However, in a big day for the NRL, Abdo revealed to AAP that expansion to an 18th team before the deal ends is still possible if the game believes it is profitable.
However the season's format could still change again during the life of the deal, if the NRL believes it can pursue an 18th team and a ninth game each round.

"If we do expand, we will revisit [the TV rights] cost," Abdo said.

"Of course it is [possible an 18th team could come before 2028], absolutely. It's not out of the question.

"If the commission is satisfied with the business case for expansion, then we will sit down with our partners.

"The business case has to make sure the incremental investment covers what the cost is and adds value for everyone."

MugaB

Coach
Nrl has finalised tv deal, Abdo saying expansion still a possibility
Well looks like we have a date on no.18.
2028, he wouldn't have mentioned the bye format evening out throughout the 5 years if they were going to cut it short and add no.18 sooner... PR you got 4 years to get perth pirates competitive, if they aren't pulling weight in SG ball by then, you'll have no hope

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Nice work from the NRL - that makes the total TV deal $2b right?

I'm reading between the lines here but based on the team 18 comments and previous expansion comments, I think NZ2 is a certainty. They seem to have had their eye on the end game of getting to 18 for a couple of years and the strategy seems to point to NZ2 and Brisbane 2 being the targets.

- fish where the fish are
- getting better access to the NZ talent pool
- forget wasting money on rusted-on AFL states (ok, very ordinary thing to say but tells you where they are headed)
- Gus being appointed (before pulling out due to COVID) to sort out the NZ pathways for the Warriors and NZRL
- NZTV money increase recently (what were they told?)

MugaB

Coach
Nice work from the NRL - that makes the total TV deal $2b right?

I'm reading between the lines here but based on the team 18 comments and previous expansion comments, I think NZ2 is a certainty. They seem to have had their eye on the end game of getting to 18 for a couple of years and the strategy seems to point to NZ2 and Brisbane 2 being the targets.

- fish where the fish are
- getting better access to the NZ talent pool
- forget wasting money on rusted-on AFL states (ok, very ordinary thing to say but tells you where they are headed)
- Gus being appointed (before pulling out due to COVID) to sort out the NZ pathways for the Warriors and NZRL
- NZTV money increase recently (what were they told?)
So what you're saying Perth and PNG are a chance?...... hawhawhaw

siv

First Grade
It will be interesting how long this BYE will last

In history we have had byes for and ended with

1y 1908 - club removed
10y 1920-9 - club removed
3y 1935-37 - club removed
4y 1984-7 - clubs added
1y 1999 - clubs removed
5y 2002-6 - club added

Last edited:
As long as they go to a 2 conference format when an 18th team is admitted i would be fine with that.

A- 4 QLD Teams/ 2 NZ teams/ Raiders/Knights and Storm

B - 9 Sydney teams

Top 10 finals series

Top 4 from each conference advance to cross over finals series
Last two finals places wild card playoff - 5 v 6 crossover

It would be madness to keep adding teams and have the same comp format

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What is the argument for conferences as opposed to keeping it as one 18 team comp? I'm not sure what the benefits would be... maybe increased rivalry matches would be one I can think of but there are ways of doing that with the comp as it is.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
I’m all for expanding to a 18th franchise but I think the NRL should really use a % of this money on developing new talent from the pacific nations and once and for all securing the region with RL being the dominant code from RU.

id introduce south island(NZ) junior teams into the NSW junior competitions as well as opening up NRL headquarters in Fiji, png, New Caledonia, Tonga, Samoa, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.

As for the 18th team I can’t decide between either Perth or Christchurch as both bring lots to the table.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well looks like we have a date on no.18.
2028, he wouldn't have mentioned the bye format evening out throughout the 5 years if they were going to cut it short and add no.18 sooner... PR you got 4 years to get perth pirates competitive, if they aren't pulling weight in SG ball by then, you'll have no hope
I’ll start coaching them now then lol

reality is if these two are still in charge when it comes time then it will come down to what tv wants and is willing to pay for. We could have won sg ball 4 years in a row sold out hbf park every game, have millionaires putting money on the table and it won’t make a jot of difference.

Tv controls the nrl, have you learnt nothing in 25 years?

flippikat

Bench
It will be interesting how long this BYE will last

In history we have had byes for and ended with

1y 1908 - club removed
10y 1920-9 - club removed
3y 1935-37 - club removed
4y 1984-7 - clubs added
1y 1999 - clubs removed
5y 2002-6 - club added
2023-2027 (inclusive) is 5 years, so if there's no expansion until the 2028-?? TV deal that's a VERY long time to have an odd number of teams.

MugaB

Coach
Are PNG North or South though? - Auckland to Port Moresby would be a straight line too
You are Dull, if your talking about a north/south split in a conference system, then a horizontal border is all that matters, the more you go on about straight direct lines the more you sound dull in your posts.
Port Moresby is most definitely North buffoon

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m all for expanding to a 18th franchise but I think the NRL should really use a % of this money on developing new talent from the pacific nations and once and for all securing the region with RL being the dominant code from RU.

id introduce south island(NZ) junior teams into the NSW junior competitions as well as opening up NRL headquarters in Fiji, png, New Caledonia, Tonga, Samoa, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.

As for the 18th team I can’t decide between either Perth or Christchurch as both bring lots to the table.
I think that's the plan and one of the reasons why they are leaning towards NZ2. Gaining greater access to NZ and PI talent.

NZ 2 is the preferred choice, but I think the ARLC are willing to fall back on Bris 3 or West Coast Pirates if the business case for a second NZ team doesn't add up. As PR said, the broadcasters will have the final say. If The Dolphins rate their arse off on Ch9 and Foxtel then they'll want a third Brissie team.

flippikat

Bench
I’ll start coaching them now then lol

reality is if these two are still in charge when it comes time then it will come down to what tv wants and is willing to pay for. We could have won sg ball 4 years in a row sold out hbf park every game, have millionaires putting money on the table and it won’t make a jot of difference.

Tv controls the nrl, have you learnt nothing in 25 years?
The 18th team SHOULD be Perth - it delivers a new timeslot opportunity, has the strongest local league of the affiliated states, takes the fight to AFL and RU, and from a population standpoint (especially population in one city) it's a far bigger market than any city in NZ can offer. What's more, there's been years of leg-work by the RL community there to try and right the wrong of the Reds demise - with a brand, venue & plan all ready to go, while NZ 2 bids in the past have been fleeting & sketchy.. they've almost been ghost bids.

HOWEVER... the NRL has signalled it's intentions pretty clearly that NZ 2 features in it's plans, but Perth doesn't - and there's a clear pathway to get the broadcasters on board for NZ 2 as well (basically Sky wear a lot of the production costs, but it sures up that 6pm Australian Eastern Time Friday timeslot)... and as good as it is for NZ based fans like me, it just feels like a blinkered decision without weighing up both options.. because I'm sure Perth would stand up perfectly well against any NZ city.

MugaB

Coach
The 18th team SHOULD be Perth - it delivers a new timeslot opportunity, has the strongest local league of the affiliated states, takes the fight to AFL and RU, and from a population standpoint (especially population in one city) it's a far bigger market than any city in NZ can offer. What's more, there's been years of leg-work by the RL community there to try and right the wrong of the Reds demise - with a brand, venue & plan all ready to go, while NZ 2 bids in the past have been fleeting & sketchy.. they've almost been ghost bids.

HOWEVER... the NRL has signalled it's intentions pretty clearly that NZ 2 features in it's plans, but Perth doesn't - and there's a clear pathway to get the broadcasters on board for NZ 2 as well (basically Sky wear a lot of the production costs, but it sures up that 6pm Australian Eastern Time Friday timeslot)... and as good as it is for NZ based fans like me, it just feels like a blinkered decision without weighing up both options.. because I'm sure Perth would stand up perfectly well against any NZ city.
You can imagine the conference issue, if perth is let in and no sydney club (due to being in its own conf) barely ever needs to fly there

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I think you've made this point before but if both were announced to be on the table (no matter the timeline), there wouldn't be this Perth v NZ angst. If NZ2 is #18 because it aligns with their strategy in terms of broadcast revenue, timeslot and access to talent, then all good. But come out and say that we will invest in Perth after we have maxed out our heartlands of NSW, QLD and NZ with teams 17 and 18.

To be fair, this might be the exact strategy that is being kept uncommunicated publically, as we recently discovered that the NRL does have a growth and expansion strategy but were reluctant to make it public knowledge (which might have been done to surprise their competitors).

MugaB

Coach
I think you've made this point before but if both were announced to be on the table (no matter the timeline), there wouldn't be this Perth v NZ angst. If NZ2 is #18 because it aligns with their strategy in terms of broadcast revenue, timeslot and access to talent, then all good. But come out and say that we will invest in Perth after we have maxed out our heartlands of NSW, QLD and NZ with teams 17 and 18.

To be fair, this might be the exact strategy that is being kept uncommunicated publically, as we recently discovered that the NRL does have a growth and expansion strategy but were reluctant to make it public knowledge (which might have been done to surprise their competitors).
I don't think PVL or the Arlc fear AFL as competitors, they know our strengths, as we know theirs, we are both codes born out a city comp, i have a sneaking suspicion PVL fears Twiggy, not RU as a code, but the man with his billions and influence, hence why not caring about Perth in general suits the narritive for the NRL... i personally think it will be awesome to see a Perth team again..
Just feel maybe 19 or 20 is that licence, a bit of time to get some those juniors competitive