What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th team still possible this tv deal

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't think PVL or the Arlc fear AFL as competitors, they know our strengths, as we know theirs, we are both codes born out a city comp, i have a sneaking suspicion PVL fears Twiggy, not RU as a code, but the man with his billions and influence, hence why not caring about Perth in general suits the narritive for the NRL... i personally think it will be awesome to see a Perth team again..
Just feel maybe 19 or 20 is that licence, a bit of time to get some those juniors competitive
I agree with this and is exactly what Abdo has said in some recent press conferences. I'm paraphrasing but two such points were:

- Rugby League is different to other sports in a good way
- I don't concern myself with what other sports are doing, I focus on Rugby League

They are following through by maxing out their heartlands (making it difficult for the opposition in the process) and will probably invest in Perth and Adelaide later when we are coming at it from a position of financial strength.

Just to finish this point by re-iterating that I am a huge supporter of Perth in the NRL.

flippikat

Bench
I think you've made this point before but if both were announced to be on the table (no matter the timeline), there wouldn't be this Perth v NZ angst. If NZ2 is #18 because it aligns with their strategy in terms of broadcast revenue, timeslot and access to talent, then all good. But come out and say that we will invest in Perth after we have maxed out our heartlands of NSW, QLD and NZ with teams 17 and 18.

To be fair, this might be the exact strategy that is being kept uncommunicated publically, as we recently discovered that the NRL does have a growth and expansion strategy but were reluctant to make it public knowledge (which might have been done to surprise their competitors).
Thanks, and good point about it *possibly* being a hidden strategy - that the NRL may be keeping their hand partially hidden from AFL & RU.. however being evasive/coy about plans beyond Dolphins & NZ 2 sets up this impression that "team 18 will be it" and a false binary between NZ 2 & Perth, which to be honest are by far the strongest two options *at this stage*

I actually think the false choice is hurting the game, when the NRL could be front-footing the matter and saying "We prioritize NZ as team 18 in the middle of this new TV deal (say 2025), but fully expect to add Perth as 19 with the start of the next deal in 2028.. and a team 20 in the middle of THAT deal".

That puts all other prospective bids on notice that the early 2030s will offer a spot.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thanks, and good point about it *possibly* being a hidden strategy - that the NRL may be keeping their hand partially hidden from AFL & RU.. however being evasive/coy about plans beyond Dolphins & NZ 2 sets up this impression that "team 18 will be it" and a false binary between NZ 2 & Perth, which to be honest are by far the strongest two options *at this stage*

I actually think the false choice is hurting the game, when the NRL could be front-footing the matter and saying "We prioritize NZ as team 18 in the middle of this new TV deal (say 2025), but fully expect to add Perth as 19 with the start of the next deal in 2028.. and a team 20 in the middle of THAT deal".

That puts all other prospective bids on notice that the early 2030s will offer a spot.
Yep, I can see the benefits in them doing what you suggest. Do they maybe fear a Twiggy response or an attempt to sabotage if they announce Perth too soon?

flippikat

Bench
Yep, I can see the benefits in them doing what you suggest. Do they maybe fear a Twiggy response or an attempt to sabotage if they announce Perth too soon?
I think you're onto something there. Any inkling that the NRL is setting up a WA club, and Twiggy will kick into high gear.

I really do hope that NZ 2 *and* Perth is the secret plan.. and with the right planning & a staggered entry, depth should grow into it too (especially once the 2nd tier can run full seasons).

That also gives the best part of a decade before we look at team 20 - plenty of time for the Dolphins/Broncos/Titans rivalry to "bed in", if 20 is SE-Qld 4.. or for Adelaide to gear up towards entry.. or for any other location to get their bid together.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Logistically I think Nz2 makes the most sense - it gives the Warriors a direct rival (and we can stop calling them the NZ Warriors), provides an extra pacific pathway from the islands, and is a beneficial timeslot for TV ratings.

Once the 18 have been well established, then Perth (19) and Adelaide (20) can wrap the total participation up and we go from there. Ultimately going back to 1995 and rectifying the mistakes made back then with the rushed expansion.

If 20 isn't feasible, then I think relocation of Sydney teams (Cronulla, Manly, Canterbury) is well on the table.

Perth Red

Post Whore
H
I don't think PVL or the Arlc fear AFL as competitors, they know our strengths, as we know theirs, we are both codes born out a city comp, i have a sneaking suspicion PVL fears Twiggy, not RU as a code, but the man with his billions and influence, hence why not caring about Perth in general suits the narritive for the NRL... i personally think it will be awesome to see a Perth team again..
Just feel maybe 19 or 20 is that licence, a bit of time to get some those juniors competitive
How will the WA jnrs get competitive if they keep leaving for the east coast for a direct pathway to an nrl club, or even worse now union given how strong union is about to get in Perth?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think you're onto something there. Any inkling that the NRL is setting up a WA club, and Twiggy will kick into high gear.

I really do hope that NZ 2 *and* Perth is the secret plan.. and with the right planning & a staggered entry, depth should grow into it too (especially once the 2nd tier can run full seasons).

That also gives the best part of a decade before we look at team 20 - plenty of time for the Dolphins/Broncos/Titans rivalry to "bed in", if 20 is SE-Qld 4.. or for Adelaide to gear up towards entry.. or for any other location to get their bid together.
You give the nrl management far too much credit lol. They have no strategy, they will see how the dolphins go then start thinking about it around 2025, ask tv if they’ll support it, then rush it through for 2028 depending if tv say they can lol.

what will be key is what nrl do with what should now be a decent annual surplus. Greenberg delivered a $47mill surplus pre covid year on the last tv deal, if Vlandys has cut $50mill costs then there should be $90-100mill a year surplus for the nrl to set aside and build an asset base which could one day support a decent expansion strategy. That’s presuming they don’t just burn it all again lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Logistically I think Nz2 makes the most sense - it gives the Warriors a direct rival (and we can stop calling them the NZ Warriors), provides an extra pacific pathway from the islands, and is a beneficial timeslot for TV ratings.

Once the 18 have been well established, then Perth (19) and Adelaide (20) can wrap the total participation up and we go from there. Ultimately going back to 1995 and rectifying the mistakes made back then with the rushed expansion.

If 20 isn't feasible, then I think relocation of Sydney teams (Cronulla, Manly, Canterbury) is well on the table.
94% of advertising in australia is spent in metro markets. If nrl wants to close the revenue gap it needs to get itself into two massive gaps in the metro footprint ASAP. Nrls sponsors aren’t going to pay more for exposure in a nz city of 300k people.

flippikat

Bench
You give the nrl management far too much credit lol. They have no strategy, they will see how the dolphins go then start thinking about it around 2025, ask tv if they’ll support it, then rush it through for 2028 depending if tv say they can lol.

what will be key is what nrl do with what should now be a decent annual surplus. Greenberg delivered a $47mill surplus pre covid year on the last tv deal, if Vlandys has cut $50mill costs then there should be $90-100mill a year surplus for the nrl to set aside and build an asset base which could one day support a decent expansion strategy. That’s presuming they don’t just burn it all again lol

Yeah, well my scenario is assuming the NRL (secretly?) have a plan beyond "NZ 2 will be team 18".

Still, there's another way it could go - IF the NRL manages to build an asset base/cash pile from all this revenue (and not give it away to clubs/players, as is habit) AND if we get "regime change" at the top by the mid 2020s, we could end up with administrators that are expansionist and with the resources to do it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who the fu#k is “twiggy”?
RugbyWA and the Forrest family have announced today that $5 million dollars will be invested into community rugby and performance pathways over the next five years to assist with the alignment of rugby union in Western Australia.

The generous contribution will go to a number of RugbyWA's directed programs including the expansion of the WA schools program with the goal of engaging new and pre-existing schools into the sport through the form of a competitive competition.

The total of $7 million in funding over the next five years is the largest contribution to grassroots rugby in the state’s history, and one of the largest private contributions to grassroots sports in Australia.

You are Dull, if your talking about a north/south split in a conference system, then a horizontal border is all that matters, the more you go on about straight direct lines the more you sound dull in your posts.
Port Moresby is most definitely North buffoon
Mug - Gordon Ramsay your posts are more like a comedy act keep them coming

No use going back to Perth and or Adelaide that's done and dusted- The only areas more teams should come from are QLD , Central Coast/NZ? and maybe PNG (Security issues though)

MugaB

Coach
Being a bit harsh on yourself describing yourself as a Dullard and Selfish though- yes Chook fans like clucking - c**k a doodle doo
Was actually calling you that cock for brains..
All The travel talk and outlining each clubs specific arrangement to suit the narritive that and interstate/regional only conference works coz it's not much different than it is today.... please keep on being a bondi luvin fkwit... all you talk for this conference system is to keep the sydney teams strong and ontop as the status quo, also thinking the dirty cheating rorters run by that dirty deal making politis prik are going to remain ahead of that pack is laughable... if there was criteria these days roosters would be the 1st cab off the rank.. either merged or shipped off to Adelaide permanently.. due to fk all juniors, no catchment, and bugger all supporters

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
No use going back to Perth and or Adelaide that's done and dusted- The only areas more teams should come from are QLD , Central Coast/NZ? and maybe PNG (Security issues though)

Why the hell would you put a team in the Central Coast? Seriously any more teams in NSW would the last option you should choose

Colk

First Grade

I would love to have your optimism Flippikat - an eventual 20 team competition with Perth, NZ 2 and Adelaide/Brisbane 3/Melbourne 2 et al would be perfect but I just don’t see it.

Colk

First Grade
You are Dull, if your talking about a north/south split in a conference system, then a horizontal border is all that matters, the more you go on about straight direct lines the more you sound dull in your posts.
Port Moresby is most definitely North buffoon

I think a pretty simple understanding of geography is needed to determine where PNG would sit

MugaB

Coach
I think a pretty simple understanding of geography is needed to determine where PNG would sit
Just a shit stirrer he his... has bugger all knowledge about geography, and only thinks in the best interests of easts before anyone else... a true eastern suburbs toff

Latest posts