What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th team still possible this tv deal

flippikat

Bench
To be honest. It would be good if the NRL put say $10mil aside, and then added $2m a year for a Sydney club relocation as a jackpot payout. Give it 10 years if no club has taken up the offer, it would be $30mil, NRL keep the interest on that amount. They would have to commit for 10 years minimum. NRL would have a hit list of areas that would be considered for a club to move to.

That said, who would actually be interested in that sort of cash. West Tigers? Manly if the current owners on sell? Sharks if they got back into financial difficulties. I really don't see any other club moving from Sydney.
That's not a bad idea - to be honest, we could get a decent 20 team footprint with just ONE relocation - adding the Dolphins, Perth, NZ 2, and a 5th Queensland team (whether that's Brisbane 3 or somewhere regional ), and moving one club to Adelaide.

Diesel

Coach
While Perth deserves an NRL, a second NZ team will do sone damage to a lot of RU clubs in NZ. Sone provincial clubs are on their knews as it is and NZ2 will take corporate dollars away for a greater exposure

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nigel Vagana talking about 18th team. 41minute mark. Doesn't believe NZ is ready for another team yet.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The 18th team will come down to what Murdoch and Ch9 want.
And they're trying to play it so that broadcasters in NZ carry the majority of the cost and as a result they get the extra content cheap, which in turn is why the V'landys, Abdo, and the ARLC are signalling that NZ is next, and why NZ will almost certainly get the 18th license.

Any other bid is banking on another NZ side being totally unfeasible, which is possible, but a slim hope none the less.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And they're trying to play it so that broadcasters in NZ carry the majority of the cost and as a result they get the extra content cheap, which in turn is why the V'landys, Abdo, and the ARLC are signalling that NZ is next, and why NZ will almost certainly get the 18th license.

Any other bid is banking on another NZ side being totally unfeasible, which is possible, but a slim hope none the less.
Well we just expanded without getting any more money out of Ch9 or Fox so nothing new there lol.

I can see the 9th game being a Monday night to maximise $ increase. They should be asking at least $40-50million a year for that extra game going off AFL expansion and what increase they got for it.

SkyNZ might but the reality is they only increased this deal as there was a real risk they would get outbid by the streaming service. Given they only pay $34mill a year I cant see them being willing to pick up the very sizeable tab that a ninth game should be worth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
According to that
Wellington 200k
Christchurch 400k
then we have Perth with 2.2milion people and tipped to hit 3million by 2035.

Hmmmm I wonder which makes most sense?

Sad, but true.
NZ2 and possibly Bris 3 suits News Ltd, dependant on how Redcliffe go over the next 5 years.
To be honest. It would be good if the NRL put say $10mil aside, and then added $2m a year for a Sydney club relocation as a jackpot payout. Give it 10 years if no club has taken up the offer, it would be $30mil, NRL keep the interest on that amount. They would have to commit for 10 years minimum. NRL would have a hit list of areas that would be considered for a club to move to.

That said, who would actually be interested in that sort of cash. West Tigers? Manly if the current owners on sell? Sharks if they got back into financial difficulties. I really don't see any other club moving from Sydney.
The only way to rationalise Sydney now is through full blooded capitalism. Remove the salary cap and let the strong survive. There's no way nine professional clubs can survive in Sydney without the annual grant set at 130% of the salary cap. There's just not enough commerce and media coverage in a market ot 5 million for nine RL clubs, with an onionball and two AwFuL clubs also competing for money and attention.

Storm, Broncos and Dolphins will thrive as they aren't in oversaturated markets. Cowboys will probably be fine, albeit not a superpower. Raiders will be fine as they're asset rich. Newcastle would probably survive. I'm not sure about the Gold Coast.

The problem with this model is some regional clubs might go bust.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
NZ2 and possibly Bris 3 suits News Ltd, dependant on how Redcliffe go over the next 5 years.

The only way to rationalise Sydney now is through full blooded capitalism. Remove the salary cap and let the strong survive. There's no way nine professional clubs can survive in Sydney without the annual grant set at 130% of the salary cap. There's just not enough commerce and media coverage in a market ot 5 million for nine RL clubs, with an onionball and two AwFuL clubs also competing for money and attention.

Storm, Broncos and Dolphins will thrive as they aren't in oversaturated markets. Cowboys will probably be fine, albeit not a superpower. Raiders will be fine as they're asset rich. Newcastle would probably survive. I'm not sure about the Gold Coast.

The problem with this model is some regional clubs might go bust.

I would be against removing the salary cap per se or having some sort of equalisation method. What you could do is remove the grant or severely limit it and in turn put a massive grant in place for relocation. That would have a somewhat similar effect to what you’re proposing without it going down the route of the EPL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well start by having equal expectations, if they are saying a new club has to invest $2mill In jnrs (that’s the nrl club not the LC) then make that the same for every club. Then set ticket prices at a reasonable amount same for all clubs. $5 kid jnrs and $20 adult GA. Then insist clubs spend $500k on promotion and game day experience. Basically they have to spend $10mill on players, $2 mill on jnrs and $1mill on marketing, game day and membership from the grant. The fact clubs are given $3mill plus plus to cover their operating losses and just keep treading water needs to change.

if nrl was serious and had balls it could put $25million start up cash and a further $2million extra grant a year for ten years on the table for relocation. Would a club move for $45million? Maybe, maybe not.
But Vlandys is all about tribalism and suburbia so will never happen.

Diesel

Coach
According to that
Wellington 200k
Christchurch 400k

NZ’s population is well over 5 million. This is the figure you should be comparing for sponsorship dollars and fan support

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I'm definitely keen on seeing a second NZ team.

The Warriors need a genuine rival and if that Maori All Stars team is any guide, take out those at the Warriors, a second NZ team would be pretty strong if those Maori players at Australian clubs fancied a move home.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
According to that
Wellington 200k
Christchurch 400k

Your figures are a tad off there.

You just counted the population figures of Wellington City.

The Greater Wellington region which takes in places like Hutt City, Porirua etc bring the Wellington region's population up to 547,000 which is more than the Knights area in Newcastle.

Latest posts