What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark B

Juniors
With Covid pretty much destroying the film and television industry in 2020, I watched 1917. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea, but I thought it was brilliant and well worth a look. Their recreation of no mans land is what I would envisage hell to be like. Both major actors are pretty much unknowns but there is a splattering of well known stars is small roles such as Mark Strong and Benedict Cumberbatch (who plays an absolute arsehole) Ended up getting a framed cast signed movie poster from the film for my birthday.

Mark B

Juniors
I thought it was a good film but way overhyped.
Fair point. One of the scenes that showed its attention to detail was the use of the Lee Enfield rifle by Schofield. SPOILER - he fires it twice to kill the German pilot, but does not reload after the second shot. Then 15 minutes later when he is being targeted by the German sniper he ejects the spent shell from last firing it 15 minutes prior to engage the German in a gun battle. Most Hollywood crap would not even have bothered.

Wizardman

First Grade
I thought it was a good film but way overhyped.
No offence to the two previous posters at all...but I'd love to know if both of you saw it on the big screen or at home.
I ask that question for a particular reason. "1917" was the last movie I have seen on the big screen to this day. It has without a shadow of a doubt the best cinematography I have ever seen in a movie....nothing comes close. It is simply an incredible movie to watch on the big screen. In my opinion, the cinematography is the biggest star of the movie. Therefore, seeing it on the big screen would absolutely have a much bigger impact on the viewer than watching it on a small tv.
I can see why people may call it overrated if they saw it on dvd as the storyline is actually pretty average. But, if you saw it on the big screen, it would have had to blow you away as a viewer. The cinematography was that good!
"1917" is a must see big screen movie. More so than a movie like Terminator 2 because I could watch T2 on a small mobile phone and enjoy it. "1917" would not have the same impact on the small screen.

Mark B

Juniors
No offence to the two previous posters at all...but I'd love to know if both of you saw it on the big screen or at home.
I ask that question for a particular reason. "1917" was the last movie I have seen on the big screen to this day. It has without a shadow of a doubt the best cinematography I have ever seen in a movie....nothing comes close. It is simply an incredible movie to watch on the big screen. In my opinion, the cinematography is the biggest star of the movie. Therefore, seeing it on the big screen would absolutely have a much bigger impact on the viewer than watching it on a small tv.
I can see why people may call it overrated if they saw it on dvd as the storyline is actually pretty average. But, if you saw it on the big screen, it would have had to blow you away as a viewer. The cinematography was that good!
"1917" is a must see big screen movie. More so than a movie like Terminator 2 because I could watch T2 on a small mobile phone and enjoy it. "1917" would not have the same impact on the small screen.
Unfortunately on the home HD, would have been a bonus to watch it at the cinema. Still love the movie though. Probably similar to watching Blackhawk Down, saw it many years ago at the cinema and have watched it a few times on the small screen. Does not even come close with the cinematography when watching it on the big screen and HD television.

I thought this thread was about an Australian band with fleeting success in the late 80’s but my mistake, a decade later than this.

As for the film.... yet to see it.

Matua

Bench
I saw it at the cinema. The cinematography was good, but the movie was a bit of style over substance and as you note the story was average (at best).

So, I'll stick with my good, but overhyped. :D

PJ

First Grade
I saw it on the big screen, and yes the cinematography was great and the no mans land part brilliant, but when the Germans started making Star Wars stormtroopers look like sharp shooters it dragged it down a lot for me.

Mark B

Juniors
The German sniper in the bridge scene was a shocking shot, but in fairness to the others (I’m a bit a shooter myself) shooting one of those massive Mauser rifles from the hip whilst running and reloading them and hitting a moving target would have been a rare skill.

soc123_au

Staff member
Fair point. One of the scenes that showed its attention to detail was the use of the Lee Enfield rifle by Schofield. SPOILER - he fires it twice to kill the German pilot, but does not reload after the second shot. Then 15 minutes later when he is being targeted by the German sniper he ejects the spent shell from last firing it 15 minutes prior to engage the German in a gun battle. Most Hollywood crap would not even have bothered.

Things like that were a nice touch, but some of the attention to accuracy was a farce.

The way the movie was shot was amazing. I was hyped for the movie, so my expectation may have been too high, It started off great & the fell off a cliff imo once the plane crashed.

I saw it at the cinema, I'll give it another watch in the next few months & see if it's better without the expectation.

Mark B

Juniors
Things like that were a nice touch, but some of the attention to accuracy was a farce.

The way the movie was shot was amazing. I was hyped for the movie, so my expectation may have been too high, It started off great & the fell off a cliff imo once the plane crashed.

I saw it at the cinema, I'll give it another watch in the next few months & see if it's better without the expectation.
yeah, the plane crash scene was a real downer. But I guess it helped with the rest of the story, that being loyalty, mate ship and courage on behalf of Schofield to get the job done.

soc123_au

Staff member
yeah, the plane crash scene was a real downer. But I guess it helped with the rest of the story, that being loyalty, mate ship and courage on behalf of Schofield to get the job done.
I more meant that the movie was good until that point. After that was when it lost it's way. Not because of what happened in that scene, just in general.

Mark B

Juniors
It was really just a long drawn out Gallipoli with special effects.
Can’t agree with it being too long. I remember our whole class had to watch Gallipoli at the local cinema as part of our modern history studies. Can’t imagine schools doing that these days though.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Can’t agree with it being too long. I remember our whole class had to watch Gallipoli at the local cinema as part of our modern history studies. Can’t imagine schools doing that these days though.
High school does....

Latest posts