What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1982: KB Cup Qtr Final Combined-Brisbane vs Parramatta

T.S Quint

Coach
They would still be effective if they tried to do them from within their own 40 when the defense isn't expecting any kind of anything.

Mitch tried his towards end of the set on the opposition 40.

That said he is one of the few still ad-libing.

Putting in a chip or grubber in your own 40m would pay off about once in every 10 times attempted. The ply is so low percentage it would be stupid to do it. If it doesn’t pay off I wouldn’t consider it exciting, just dumb.

T.S Quint

Coach
@T-Boon seems to want the forwards to have no impact on a game. The hitups in the middle from the big guys trying to make ground is a huge part of the game. How good is it when one of your players makes a big 10-20m hitup to gain ground and get your team out of trouble.

Suitman

Post Whore
redfern oval

I loved going to Redfern Oval as a young teenager and Eels fan. Such a passionate ground supporter wise from both sets of fans and there was always a great contingent of Eels fans that turned up. Generally always packed, and plenty of Souths bogans.
Always a great day out, whether we won or lost. It was a true, tight rectangular ground with the crowd close to the field.

blue bags

First Grade
i remember the eels, bulldogs, teams from the past, were called the entertainers, the ball movement was breathtaking

T-Boon

Coach
@T-Boon seems to want the forwards to have no impact on a game. The hitups in the middle from the big guys trying to make ground is a huge part of the game. How good is it when one of your players makes a big 10-20m hitup to gain ground and get your team out of trouble.

I feel that pig play was more impressive under the 5x5 metres. You basically get gifted 6m under a gentlemen's agreement now. Since D-H forward passes are basically legal now they don't even have to get the timing of the run right.

T.S Quint

Coach
I feel that pig play was more impressive under the 5x5 metres. You basically get gifted 6m under a gentlemen's agreement now. Since D-H forward passes are basically legal now they don't even have to get the timing of the run right.

The 5m rule wouldn’t work these days. Players are too fit and the wrestle would just eliminate any way to gain ground without kicking the call downfield. We’d go back to playing like Union, and no one wants that.

T-Boon

Coach
The 5m rule wouldn’t work these days. Players are too fit and the wrestle would just eliminate any way to gain ground without kicking the call downfield. We’d go back to playing like Union, and no one wants that.

Its do-able but we would need to get into radical ideas like going to 11 aside. Which is a thought that explodes rugby league fans heads.

thats right, you dont even see a simple , run around anymore, the game has completely changed now, when was the last chip kick, or even sneaky grubber kick , you saw ?? maybe just a few

You don't see many run-arounds any more largely because the halves play on different sides of the field. There is no pivot. Gutho does it occasionally.

Suitman

Post Whore
You don't see many run-arounds any more largely because the halves play on different sides of the field. There is no pivot. Gutho does it occasionally.

It doesn't mean it still couldn't happen.
Coaches these days are more obsessed with exploiting the rules rather than being visionary, like Gibson was.

T-Boon

Coach
It all comes down to the fact I keep hearing that teams spend 80% of their practice time working on defense now. In that environment...the game of rugby league is dead wood.

T-Boon

Coach
You know you've been watching too much 80s footage when you blew up about a scrum feed in the Storm v Raiders game. Get rid of scrums.