What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1989 Grand Final

Flapper

First Grade
I'm distinctly uninterested. Haven't seen it in 20 years and that won't change anytime soon.

Bugger. Missed it. Second greatest grand final I've seen (91 being the greatest).

91' was awesome.

royce simmons scoring two tries is just something i'll never forget.

was great getting revenge on the raiders from 90' aswell. Really it was an amazing performance from the panthers , the raiders were an amazing team. But everything just came together so well for Penrith , it was a great mixture of youth and experience.

91' was awesome.

royce simmons scoring two tries is just something i'll never forget.

was great getting revenge on the raiders from 90' aswell. Really it was an amazing performance from the panthers , the raiders were an amazing team. But everything just came together so well for Penrith , it was a great mixture of youth and experience.

Yeah. Fitler was a bullet waiting to be shot from the Pistol and he fired on all Cylinders that day.

mongoose

Coach
Yeah. Fitler was a bullet waiting to be shot from the Pistol and he fired on all Cylinders that day.

so which is it, is fittler a bullet or a car? jk

For the record 1990 was a classic grand final as well. The exemplary game of how important a kicking game is. Stuart just booted penrith out of the game.

Brutus

Referee
When are they actually going to show some old semis and classic club games. Even full Origins from the 80's and 90's.

Same old same old with the GFs.

Last edited:
Great game. Steve Jackson's run to win it (he went to Wests and was Lincoln Raudonikis quality) was phenomenal but I think Balmain were shot birds anyway at that time.

I wonder if Warren Ryan thinks to this day that he did the right thing by taking Blocker and Sironen off....

Ribs

Bench
I watched it last night.... Bill Harrigan's refereeing was terrible! If there were that many dodgy decisions these days we'd be going nuts.

In saying that though, the Tigers let them back in a hundred times over in that last 15 minutes.

Stagger eel

Staff member
greatest grand final ever...

whenever I talk to Tigers fans they still bring up 3 very important moments.

* Bill Harragon penilising Bruce Maguire late in the game.

* Benny's drop goal attempt hitting the cross bar

* Mick neil getting ankle tapped by big Mal.

tiger_nick

Bench
i have no qualms with that grand final, canberra were the better team (1988 on the other hand..... )balmain tried to win it 14-2 when they came out at halftime, they were their own worst enemy. i remember still thinking that the scoreline flattered us at the break. we scored one try off an intercpt and another that was really a fluke.

i would however love to see the raiders fans reatcions on here if the bruce macguire penatly went against them in todays game...deadset they would start about 73 threads on it!

legend

Coach
Skeepe would lead the charge no doubt but there were other pivotal moments in that game. Garry Jack dropping a bomb, Wayne Pearce knocking on and so on.

Just wasn't meant to be the Tigers day.

Latest posts