What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st 4 weeks of 2020

Old Timer

Coach
Ok the comp is about to kick off and you pick your team out of the squad we have minus JDB as no guarantees he will be available.
Give some logic why you pick the players and what you expect to them to deliver and what you will do if after 4 weeks there are issues that are so apparent they won't go away.
FB:- Dufty he either has it or doesn't and if not he is gone forever replaced by Sailor. Expect Dufty to run off the hips of all the ball players and sniff around broken play and to have steely determination in defence.
Wingers:- Saab and Sailor. Pace and agility and to be persevered with as the other options are shit. Both need to have a roaming commission in attack ala Blacklock. If Sailor goes to FB elevate the fastest tall man in CC.
Centres:- Lomax as IMO it is his natural position and he has loads of skills, Ravalawa as he is lost on the wing but shows some natural ability and worth experimenting with and will be better defensively when not exposed to defending kicks. He has a great pass on him and can be utilised. If Rava doesn't stack up then our latest centre signing with Aitken and Lafai to be never picked again unless a swathe of injuries.
5/8:- Norman who is to play expansive football. If not working swap with Hunt.
Half:- Hunt who is to play instinctive what's in front of you footy. Must learn to use wide running forwards correctly by understanding the lines they run rather than just passing it to them willy nilly expecting a result. If not working swap with Norman and or Clune.
Lock:- Frizz as he is not a natural ball playing or hole running back rower and IMO is our best option to cover off JDB.
2nd Row:- Tariq who is hopefully full fit and injury free but needs to have support runners on his right hip to give greater options than just trying to bust the line. Host who has shown glimpses and is again another who has either got it or see you later. A natural hole runner but Hunt needs to improve the service to the back rowers to ensure they can run the correct lines. IMHO our RHS back row suffer from poor service from the halves. If Host doesn't make it then Ford starts and elevate Lawrie or Blacker and push Korbin to back row rotation.
Props:- Vaughan & Kerr 2 big boppers from the get go. Vaughan to bring the offload to his game and utilise little men supporting him. Kerr yet another who has either got it or be gone forever player. A big body with skills but unaware of the lateral requirements to be a good defender but not a skill that is beyond him. If Kerr doesn't work out then replace with Lawrie or Blacker.
Hooker:- Mc Innes who just needs to have freedom to play a more expansive game and again needs to have support going with him from dummy half.
Bench
K Sims:- part of prop rotation and to be looking for support players and not just run head long into the opposition trying to bust them on his own.
Merrin:- An out and out prop with natural ball playing skills who needs Dufty, Norman, Sailor, Saab looking for opportunities off him.
Ford:- Deserves a crack and needs to be a hole running impact player. Must be persevered with to ensure we find out in a short period of time what he has rather than taking 2 years and still not knowing.
Lawrie & or Blacker:- Both are in the need to know if they have it category so maybe rotate them in and out. Lawrie for mine is a little bit short of 1st grade and his body shape / size a little concerning as I honestly haven't seen him really bust the opposition. Blacker in the same boat as Ford let's find out now rather than have all that guess work for the next 2 years.
Game Plan:- Is rather simple, play attractive football and support our creative players. No more 1 out running for 4 or 5 tackles utilise the width of the park (the ball moves quicker than the man) and make the opposition defences do all the running. Thats what all the good sides do and it seems to work for them.
Never to be selected unless injuries mount up
Graham as we will not be contenders this year and he will be gone (fingers crossed) next year so use the opportunity to find out about players who have some years ahead of them.
Aitken & Lafai as they have long proven inadequate.
Luke unless Cameron is injured or needs resting. Resist the temptation to make him or Mc Innes the lock at any given point in the game.
Kaufusi who is an injury plagued plodder.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
1. Lomax
2. Saab (LW)
3. Lafai (LC)
4. Aitken (RC)
5. Pereira (RW)
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell (RF)
12. A. Sims (LF)
13. Merrin
14. K. Sims
15. Luke
16. Lawrie
17. Ford

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok, I'll have a crack at this.

1. Lomax - has to he given the opportunity at f/b. His height, undef the new rule will prove decisive. We should know after 4 weeks if hecwill be successful or not. If not I'd replace him with Sailor.
2. Saab - like Lomax his height and yes he does have some speed will be a huge advantage under the new rules.
3. Aitken - although it pains me to put him there, I think 4 weeks would give us an idea of any change under Flanno to his defensive deficiencies.
4. Lafai - see Aitken. It worries me he is already training in bandages.
5. Periera - mainly used as the bulldog bringingvthe ball back from kicks, the others in the backline arent built enough for that purpose.
6. Norman - needs to get involved more simple as that. Kicks need to find the turf.
7. Hunt - running game
8. Lawrie - has to be starting prop. Hopefully he stop crabbing to the right when he runs.
9. McInnes - say no more and will be captain.
10. Vaughan - has to start.
11. Friz - hopefully learnt to run straight lines from Flanno.
12. T. Sims - has to start.
13. Merrin - contentious position is lock but start with Merrin and after 4 weeks we can judge his ability and fitness.
14. Luke - interchange for hooker role and back up forward.
15. K. Sims - needs to show big improvement this year in play and playing time.
16. Graham - mmm cannot be a starter, 15 mins prior and after half time would be enough this year. Intetestingly, Grahams tackle efficiency was the highest of our forwards last year (94%) and our defense (trys scored against) mostly happened after the 30min mark and just after half time. Bringing Graham on at this timecwould assist stiffening the defense.
17. Ford - toss up between him and Host.

After 4 weeks, who knows what Mc85 will do especially if we are say 1 and 3 or even 2 and 2.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Norman. Has been ordinary at 5/8 so he goes to the centres.
4.Frizzel. Our fastest player and potentially most damaging runner. Wasted as a battering ram.
5. Pereira.
6. Lafai. Can kick, pass, defend but can't run like he used to. 5/8 just might work.
7. Hunt.
8. Vaughan
9. McInnis
10 Korbin
11 Ford
12 Tariq
13 Aitken. Very ordinary as a centre but I reckon he might go okay as a lock. If not, move Merrin to lock and Aitken to bench utility.

14. Merrin
15. Lawrie
16. Kerr
17. Host

Can't find room for James Graham or Isaac Luke because I prefer to give youth a go. JDB will have to come through Reggie's If he comes back.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Ok the comp is about to kick off and you pick your team out of the squad we have minus JDB as no guarantees he will be available.
Give some logic why you pick the players and what you expect to them to deliver and what you will do if after 4 weeks there are issues that are so apparent they won't go away.
FB:- Dufty he either has it or doesn't and if not he is gone forever replaced by Sailor. Expect Dufty to run off the hips of all the ball players and sniff around broken play and to have steely determination in defence.
Wingers:- Saab and Sailor. Pace and agility and to be persevered with as the other options are shit. Both need to have a roaming commission in attack ala Blacklock. If Sailor goes to FB elevate the fastest tall man in CC.
Centres:- Lomax as IMO it is his natural position and he has loads of skills, Ravalawa as he is lost on the wing but shows some natural ability and worth experimenting with and will be better defensively when not exposed to defending kicks. He has a great pass on him and can be utilised. If Rava doesn't stack up then our latest centre signing with Aitken and Lafai to be never picked again unless a swathe of injuries.
5/8:- Norman who is to play expansive football. If not working swap with Hunt.
Half:- Hunt who is to play instinctive what's in front of you footy. Must learn to use wide running forwards correctly by understanding the lines they run rather than just passing it to them willy nilly expecting a result. If not working swap with Norman and or Clune.
Lock:- Frizz as he is not a natural ball playing or hole running back rower and IMO is our best option to cover off JDB.
2nd Row:- Tariq who is hopefully full fit and injury free but needs to have support runners on his right hip to give greater options than just trying to bust the line. Host who has shown glimpses and is again another who has either got it or see you later. A natural hole runner but Hunt needs to improve the service to the back rowers to ensure they can run the correct lines. IMHO our RHS back row suffer from poor service from the halves. If Host doesn't make it then Ford starts and elevate Lawrie or Blacker and push Korbin to back row rotation.
Props:- Vaughan & Kerr 2 big boppers from the get go. Vaughan to bring the offload to his game and utilise little men supporting him. Kerr yet another who has either got it or be gone forever player. A big body with skills but unaware of the lateral requirements to be a good defender but not a skill that is beyond him. If Kerr doesn't work out then replace with Lawrie or Blacker.
Hooker:- Mc Innes who just needs to have freedom to play a more expansive game and again needs to have support going with him from dummy half.
Bench
K Sims:- part of prop rotation and to be looking for support players and not just run head long into the opposition trying to bust them on his own.
Merrin:- An out and out prop with natural ball playing skills who needs Dufty, Norman, Sailor, Saab looking for opportunities off him.
Ford:- Deserves a crack and needs to be a hole running impact player. Must be persevered with to ensure we find out in a short period of time what he has rather than taking 2 years and still not knowing.
Lawrie & or Blacker:- Both are in the need to know if they have it category so maybe rotate them in and out. Lawrie for mine is a little bit short of 1st grade and his body shape / size a little concerning as I honestly haven't seen him really bust the opposition. Blacker in the same boat as Ford let's find out now rather than have all that guess work for the next 2 years.
Game Plan:- Is rather simple, play attractive football and support our creative players. No more 1 out running for 4 or 5 tackles utilise the width of the park (the ball moves quicker than the man) and make the opposition defences do all the running. Thats what all the good sides do and it seems to work for them.
Never to be selected unless injuries mount up
Graham as we will not be contenders this year and he will be gone (fingers crossed) next year so use the opportunity to find out about players who have some years ahead of them.
Aitken & Lafai as they have long proven inadequate.
Luke unless Cameron is injured or needs resting. Resist the temptation to make him or Mc Innes the lock at any given point in the game.
Kaufusi who is an injury plagued plodder.

Is this an exercise to pick your OWN side or the one McIdiot has preordained months ago? If it’s the latter, I don’t see the point.

The “coach” has already chosen the following:

1. Lomax
2. Sailor
3, Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
13. Merrin
12. T. Sims
11. Frizell
10, Vaughan
9. McInnes (c)
8. Graham

Reserves: 14: K. Sims
15. Lawrie
16, Luke
17. Ford

BTW, I think you’ll find Kafusi was released. Hopefully though, Blacker gets a run at some point. Knowing McIdiot, he’ll get an “opportunity” with the season well over and with a number of other clubs rumoured to be after his signature.

Fearless predictions;

1. Lomax to last a maximum four weeks before being flicked a la Kurt Mann

2. Dufty (begrudgingly) picked at fullback for the rest of the year (injuries exempted).

3. Sailor will NOT be given a go at fullback due to concerns about his size,

4. Aitken, Lafai and Norman will continue to underwhelm and frustrate.

5. Hunt will look rudderless (again) due to an absence of a consistently good five-eighth.

6. Merrin will surprise his critics despite being unsuited to lock as has been proven ad infinitum.

7. Frizell will bear his frustrations leading to a release being asked via his manager.

8. Kerr and Host to remain below par NRL first grade standard.

9. T. Sims will revisit his 2018 form.

10. Vaughan will also impress but SGI is still a first grade standard prop short...again.

11. Ford to be one to watch this year

12. Graham and Luke to demonstrate why both should have retired a few year ago.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
1. Lomax
2. Saab
3. Norman. Has been ordinary at 5/8 so he goes to the centres.
4.Frizzel. Our fastest player and potentially most damaging runner. Wasted as a battering ram.
5. Pereira.
6. Lafai. Can kick, pass, defend but can't run like he used to. 5/8 just might work.
7. Hunt.
8. Vaughan
9. McInnis
10 Korbin
11 Ford
12 Tariq
13 Aitken. Very ordinary as a centre but I reckon he might go okay as a lock. If not, move Merrin to lock and Aitken to bench utility.

14. Merrin
15. Lawrie
16. Kerr
17. Host

Can't find room for James Graham or Isaac Luke because I prefer to give youth a go. JDB will have to come through Reggie's If he comes back.
A lot to be said for your thoughts and rationale
Amazing how different we can all be with meritorious ideas and rationale compared to how rigid the actual coach is.

giboz71

First Grade
This won’t be the team picked, but if we’re going to go anywhere, this year, we can’t have a carbon copy of last years team.

Sailor
Saab
Lomax
Williame
Pereira
Norman
Hunt
Merrin
Tariq
Friz
Vaughan
Mcinnes
Graham

Lawrie
Korbin
Ford
Luke

Sailor at FB ahead of Dufty, runs with more intent and not afraid to engage the line. Has some X factor as well and hopefully Flanno teaches him how to tackle.

Saab and Pereira on the wings, Jordan showed plenty in the semis in 2018 so hopefully can find that form. Saab needs to be in the side given his speed and height.

Lomax is our best centre and needs to play there. I really know nothing about Williame, but anything has to be better than Lafai and Aitken.

Halves and forwards pick themselves. If JBD gets off, he slots in ahead of Merrin who drops back to bench.

BLM01

First Grade
It is too early for me but my side on w what I have seen from 2019 and wont include the new centre recruits of Williame & TF as at NRL level have done very little....but they are chomping at the heels of Aitken

Cant split Dufty or Sailor....but for me Sailor attacks better and runs the ball back harder in team plays so I will go with him
Periera / Saab (if Saab not fit yetThen Rav)
Lomax RHC and Aitken LHC. Lafai will retire this year and Aitken has been training that side
Halves anyorder you like
Vaughan / Merrin / McInnes
Tarig & Frizz left and right edge
JDB if not Lawrie

Bench
Lawrie if JDB playing
Kerr
K Sims
Graham
Luke moves to 17 if JDB out..if JDB in...the he is reserve grade
Ford - 18th man

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
It is too early for me but my side on w what I have seen from 2019 and wont include the new centre recruits of Williame & TF as at NRL level have done very little....but they are chomping at the heels of Aitken

Cant split Dufty or Sailor....but for me Sailor attacks better and runs the ball back harder in team plays so I will go with him
Periera / Saab (if Saab not fit yetThen Rav)
Lomax RHC and Aitken LHC. Lafai will retire this year and Aitken has been training that side
Halves anyorder you like
Vaughan / Merrin / McInnes
Tarig & Frizz left and right edge
JDB if not Lawrie

Bench
Lawrie if JDB playing
Kerr
K Sims
Graham
Luke moves to 17 if JDB out..if JDB in reserve grade
TF - 18th man

aitken on the left...poor left side winger...zero tries for you from aitken....seriously, aitken is dead wood...only mcgregor would try and find a spot for his "Pet" player in the side.

avocado

Juniors
1. Lomax
2. Saab (LW)
3. Lafai (LC)
4. Aitken (RC)
5. Pereira (RW)
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell (RF)
12. A. Sims (LF)
13. Merrin
14. K. Sims
15. Luke
16. Lawrie
17. Ford
Ashton is back?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
1 Lomax
2 Saab
3Sailor
4Ravalawa
5Periera
6 Hunt
7 Norman
8 Merrin
9 Mcinnes
10 Vaughan
11 Sims T
12 Ford
13 Frizell
14 Graham
15 Lawrie
16 Sims K
17 Bully or Kerr. well your dreaming again O D

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If it were me choosing the team it would be radically different team and greatly depend on trial form. But for the trials at least I would start the first halves with this team.
1. Dufty: Super fast and slippery, has put on more size is ready to go. I love his fight, needs to sniff around McInnes more. Coming out of attack if there is plenty of room, sprint as fast as he can and hit the deck to make a quick 15-20 metres if not pass to Pereira.
2.LW Pereira, led the comp in tackle busts and chews up metres. We need that, and finish too if given the ball. He will do a job. I don't feel Saab is going to chew up too many metres at this point. Ramsey would be given the second half if he can jag a spot and could be a bolter.
3. Wiliame: Looks positionally great in SL I watched a few of games on Kayo after he was announced. Can draw and pass, can tackle, has speed. The trials will let us know if that translates somewhat to NRL. Lafai can have the second half whoever plays better gets round 1.
4.Lomax: Need a solid right centre to unleash Saab, they have played together and are both tall, any kick in that direction is lethal and would be a major weapon for us. I
5. Saab: Tall, fast, young and keen. Will score plenty of tries for us.
6. Norman: Would start with him and play Sailor there in the second half. Reputations and pay cheques would mean nothing, whoever grabs the bull by the horns would start. Has a very good long passing game, would look for him to link up early with Wiliame and Pereira, with Dufty and McInnes sniffing around so we have options inside and out. Plenty of practice kicking that right flank.
7.Hunt: Work on his combo with Norman as he did with Widdop, kicking for each other on the inside and plenty of focus engaging our right side attack. Has an excellent show and go use it late in games when teams tire.
8.Lawrie: A young bull ready to start, work on the offload.
9. McInnes: Captain, keep working on his kicking game. and combo with Dufty, Hunt and even Vaughan. Will be an all time great for us.
10. Vaughan: Our best prop, dynamic and a workhorse. Origin player and will help out Lawrie.
11.Friz: His best position, hopefully fit and ready to go after a disrupted season. A vital cog in what could be a lethal right side attack.
12. Sims: Not much needs to be said, if he is fully fit and hits 2018 levels it will be like having a brand new marquee player. Plenty of metres will made down that side of the field.
13.Merrin: Experienced, good leader and has a great offload.
14.Sims: Prop rotation to add punch once Vaughan has a spell.
15.Graham:Lock, will replace Merrin once he has a spell, as a tackling machine and ball player. He doesn't make the metres he used to but can tackle all day and can ball play. He also ensures we don't have a leadership vacuum once a rotation is made.
16.Kerr: Give him a decent stint at prop for several weeks and let him mature into an NRL player. Plenty of size with he and Sims on at the same time.
17.Ford: Second row for if Sims or Friz need a rest, if not can fill in at centre if we have an injury in the outside backs.

This side won't be picked I know but id stand by it.

blacksafake

First Grade
I’ll play.
1 Dufty, as long as they play direct with no sweep out the back, Must hang around the centre & run from dummy half more, especially off quick play the balls.
2 Saab.
3 Lomax.
4 Rav 4.Desperate times call for desperate measures.
5 Sailor with a roving commission & backup spine.
6 Hunt, run as much as you can & ignore L plates game plan.
7 Norman, control the game, play what’s in front of you, also ignore game plan.
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes & captain, Run at every opportunity, play straight & work on kicking game.
10 Kerr,size & speed also need to find out if he’s up to it or not.
11 Tariq
12 Friz, run at the holes.
13 Merrin, although I think he’s better suited to prop but we don’t have the luxury unless JDB’s available. If Kerr is struggling early on Merrin moves up.
14 Graham, plays last 15 & first 15 of each half or at the end to close out the game.
15 Lawrie, he’s last few games in 18, especially against the broncos still stick in my mind.
16 Korbin, his job is to bring energy, get into opposing players heads & run at outside or inside shoulders.
17 Ford, used as a hole runner, not a battering ram. Also backup for centre should injury occur.

This is why I’m not a coach :rolling_eyes::grin:

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Hi Muzby I know what you mean but we should be able to come up with a half decent backline if we do not select the plodders.

Latest posts