What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Ashes Test: Australia v England at Gabba Brisbane, Nov 23-27 2017

Bazal

Post Whore
He doesn’t even keep for Tasmania anymore.

How can we pick a guy out of match practice? This is nuts.

Plus I’m not sure I agree with you analysis about his batting. His batting record in List A & domestic T20’s hasn’t suffered greatly from his finger injury. It could just be he’s not a very good long form batsmen.

I think the thing with Paine was he was really becoming a much better bat when he was in the test side. His Test average is 6 runs higher than his FC average, albeit with a small sample size. Prior to that selection he had a good kick in his FC performance too. But missing so much cricket and being in and out of the side has caused him to regress again.

Short form cricket is easier to find and maintain form than long form cricket. I'm not saying he'd have been a great or anything and I think selecting him now (if true) is probably a mistake, but he would have averaged something more than Haddin without the injury IMO

Bazal

Post Whore
So they want Wade to keep, but select Paine anyway? That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but then not much cricket Australia do these days does.

Seriously, this is farcical.

Not Paine’s fault though.

The selectors have made it clear they want Wade to find form so they can pick him. The idiots fking love the little gnome. So it's not that odd to me that they would step in to ensure their favoured option got the chance to do that.

I think the thing with Paine was he was really becoming a much better bat when he was in the test side. His Test average is 6 runs higher than his FC average, albeit with a small sample size. Prior to that selection he had a good kick in his FC performance too. But missing so much cricket and being in and out of the side has caused him to regress again.

Short form cricket is easier to find and maintain form than long form cricket. I'm not saying he'd have been a great or anything and I think selecting him now (if true) is probably a mistake, but he would have averaged something more than Haddin without the injury IMO

Check out this for a stat

The selectors have made it clear they want Wade to find form so they can pick him. The idiots fking love the little gnome. So it's not that odd to me that they would step in to ensure their favoured option got the chance to do that.

The odd part is then selecting Paine over him.

It doesn’t surprise me they stepped in, but the role of national wicketkeepr should go to someone with match practice. (Not Wade though)

Bazal

Post Whore
Check out this for a stat

Yeah it's not great and I'm not saying I agree with his selection. Just that I reckon he was robbed by injury and on some level it'd be nice to see him get another shot.

As I said though, I think his batting has definitely regressed and I'd be hard pressed to imagine him saving us if we needed a good lower order flourish.

The even weirder upshot of Wade keeping, but also being picked to bat up the order for Tassie has seen Paine batting at #4 and Wade at 5... 2 keepers batting at 2nd and 3rd drop... f**k there is some strange shit happening in Australian cricket at the moment... At least Bancroft came through the ranks as an opener and knows how to bat at the top of the order....

The interefrence from cricket Australia into state cricket is a joke.

Let the best players get on the field and chips fall where they may. They’re totally overthinking everything.

Matt23

Staff member
Considering the gnome (Langer) is more then likely the next Australian coach, there’ll be a Darsh in the lineup in the future too

Yeah it's not great and I'm not saying I agree with his selection. Just that I reckon he was robbed by injury and on some level it'd be nice to see him get another shot.

As I said though, I think his batting has definitely regressed and I'd be hard pressed to imagine him saving us if we needed a good lower order flourish.

His hands are in for a serious workout with Starc and Cummins.

I doubt he’s kept to anyone that bowls that fast for a while, let alone two of them.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Peter Nevill's chances of a Test recall at any time in the future have taken a massive bollocking that's for sure... At least under this current set of selectors. Opting for Paine ahead of him, a guy who is not even keeping for his State side as has been pointed out, surely speaks volumes...

TIGER14

Bench
On a personal level I'd be stoked for Paine if true. I really think he would have been a very good keeper batsman if he hadn't had that horrible break.

On a winning the Ashes note, that same break meant he regressed as a batsman and I just don't see him being a genuine contributor of runs if we need him to be.

Bloody good keeper though, so can't complain on that front.

The less said about Marsh the better. He's had his chances. Solid cricketer but it's time to move on surely.

Paine hasn't been 'a bloody good keeper' for years.
Should have just picked Nevill, best keeper we have at the moment by a mile and a reasonably handy batsman too.

Bazal

Post Whore
Paine hasn't been 'a bloody good keeper' for years.
Should have just picked Nevill, best keeper we have at the moment by a mile and a reasonably handy batsman too.

Paine is tied with Nevill as the best pure gloveman in the country. Pretty much indisputable.

Problem is he forgot how to bat after his finger problems.

Paine is tied with Nevill as the best pure gloveman in the country. Pretty much indisputable.

Problem is he forgot how to bat after his finger problems.

That’s what makes this so crazy.

Nevill is a good keeper, he’s a solid batsmen, and he knows the bowling lineup better than anyone.

Ok, he’s no superstar but he’s solid as a rock.

This smacks of the selectors not wanting to admit they made a mistake dropping him in the first place.

Matt23

Staff member
Why does the midget from WA have so much say over the selection process , Geeves was right for a change.

Bazal

Post Whore
That’s what makes this so crazy.

Nevill is a good keeper, he’s a solid batsmen, and he knows the bowling lineup better than anyone.

Ok, he’s no superstar but he’s solid as a rock.

This smacks of the selectors not wanting to admit they made a mistake dropping him in the first place.

Pretty much. It also smacks of meddling from within the team leadership. Clearly Smith and Boof want a keeper to stir the pot (as ludicrous as that is) and if they select Paine I think we can almost solely blame it on the ridiculous notion that chirp is integral to the role of a wicket-keeper.

Paine is no Wade in the chirp department, but he's actually a good sledger not just a dribbler. If he's selected over the quiet Nev, and the rookie Carey, then to me that just demonstrates that someone within the side thinks how much shit a bloke talks is as important as his cricketing ability.

Bazal

Post Whore
Geeves is a bell end himself but he does seem to be one of the few around who will have a crack at the true problems with Aussie cricket

Geeves is a bell end himself but he does seem to be one of the few around who will have a crack at the true problems with Aussie cricket

Merv called him out and said some BS like “he never played at the test level”

That’s the classic shit thinking of Australian cricket. You don’t need to have been a star player to identity problems. Many coaches etc were average players, it’s more important to have an analytical mind.

So apparently Tim Paine has only kept in 3 matches in the last two years. I’m not sure if that’s FC matches or all matches. But presume FC.

typicalfan

Coach
Are you an Australian selector ? That's exactly the type of logic they use to justify picking some one hopelessly out of form, then scratch their head when he fails yet again.
I’m am saying give the guy an opportunity to prove himself based on his recent test form which is good. I don’t see how that is anything like what you are saying.

Not that it matters Bancroft gets his chance and I hope he kills it.

And as for Paine may as well see if Gilly is up for a game.