What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1ST ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Nottingham Jul 10-14, 2013

TheParraboy

Staff member
Can you all believe in almost 5 days exactly, the first ball will be bowled (pending weather) in the 1st of 10 ashes tests over the next 8 months.

Cant wait , Just hope its competitive , though I feel poms will get us pretty easily :(

The top 4 (sunshine, rogers, hughes, Clarke) and Haddin, Pattinson and Siddle are pretty much locked in the way I see it

typicalfan

Coach
I expect them to crush us in England and us to be semi competitive here. Hoping for a lot of rain.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I want to see:

Watson
Rogers
Hughes
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Bird
Lyon

But sadly I think we'll see:
Watson
Rogers
Cowan
Clarke
Hughes
Warner
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Bird
Lyon

Red Bear

Referee
I hope Patto Bird and Siddle/Harris is the bowling lineup. But I think Patto Siddle Starc is what we'll put out.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/darren-lehmanns-appointment-a-huge-boost-for-the-australian-top-order/story-e6frf3gl-1226675058662#.UdbEZjtHI_s

Darren Lehmann's appointment a huge boost for the Australian top order..

Allan Border The Courier-Mail July 05, 2013 10:00PM

FAR from being a sign that Australian cricket is in disarray, the appointment of Darren Lehmann as Australian coach could not have been timed better.

I am far more optimistic about our chances of winning the Ashes in England than I was a month ago.

No one likes to see a coach cop it in the neck when players are under-performing, but when you are in charge of an elite sporting team your responsibilities are greater than the technical stuff like helping a player with his grip.

Your job is to create an environment in which all of the players feel comfortable with their roles, and if that is not happening, and performance falls away and there are divisions, it will eventually cost you your job.

The Australian cricket set-up already looks a happier place for Lehmann's presence.

People may say sacking Mickey Arthur and installing Lehmann a fortnight from the Ashes will rock the campaign but I believe the timing could prove spot on.

If the decision was made a month earlier, I'm not sure it would have had as much impact as it has, with the coach enjoying a honeymoon period that should last into the early Tests. The greatest beneficiaries will be the batsmen. Lehmann's influence on the top order will be substantial, including:

USMAN KHAWAJA
I CAN see him blossoming under Lehmann because they are on the same wave-length.

Khawaja has been talked about as being a difficult person but certainly in Queensland he has flourished under Lehmann and there is no reason to think it won't happen at national level.

PHIL HUGHES
JUST having Boof there will free him up. He looks like a player who is almost trying too hard.

Boof will relax him and teach him a lot about playing spin and his best scoring options. By the time he has spent a series under Boof I expect Hughes will have a clearer mind.

DAVID WARNER
HE is a batsman caught between two styles of play. He came into big-time cricket via the Twenty20 game and lived and died by his ability to hit the ball with great force.

But then he became a Test cricketer and was caught between the "just see it and hit it" philosophy that worked so well in the shorter forms of the game and the more patient mindset of the traditional Test batsman.

Boof can liberate his thought process by saying something like, "You are not going to be the traditional, technically pure Test player ... just see it and hit. Play on instinct".

SHANE WATSON
BOOF has helped Watson already with a strong positive move - confirming he will open in the Ashes.

Apart from giving Watto the role he has been craving, he has been given the message that the new coach wants him and rates him.

The message is clear - "we need you to get things rolling for us" - and that is precisely what Watto has done at the top of the order in tour games against Somerset and Worcestershire.

That sense of being wanted is a key issue because Watto had been a vice-captain who had barely been consulted on selections, field placings and bowling changes - all the things captains tend to ask their deputies.

In the past dozen Tests Australia has been three down for fewer than 100 too many times.

It's not good enough and that's where Watson at the top of the order will help.

I am asking myself whether Warner has forfeited the right to play in the first Test because of his stupidity in the Joe Root incident. His suspension means he will not have played any cricket in the weeks before the Test and will be hugely underdone.

The lack of match practice is probably the greater issue, even though I feel it is important to send a message that you simply cannot behave in that sort of manner.

It's a tricky one but if he does play - and if he is the best option, he should - I would play him at six, where he could play the big shots and enjoy the responsibility of batting with the tail against the second new ball.

If he doesn't play, I would play Ed Cowan at No.3. But if Warner does play I feel Cowan may miss out. I would feel sorry for Cowan. I love his work ethic and the fact he tries so hard.

England is deserved favourite for the series but I give Australia a strong chance if it just improves collectively about 5-10 per cent or discovers an X-factor England is not expecting.

As our cricketers embark on their biggest test this winter I encourage all Aussies to show their support by linking arms and standing shoulder to shoulder when the anthem plays in a display of unity to show our players we are right behind them.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/648105.html

Australia's captain Michael Clarke has given a decidedly strong indication he wants David Warner in his first Test team, despite the left-hander's lack of match preparation. It will now be a matter of whether or not the selectors agree with reinstating Warner immediately after his suspension for punching Joe Root, or demure for reasons of Test match readiness.

Speaking for the first time since the day of Mickey Arthur's replacement as the national team coach by Darren Lehmann and his resignation as a selector, Clarke expressed the staunch view that Warner has now served his punishment for events at the Walkabout in Birmingham during the Champions Trophy, and that the left-hander is not the kind of player to need matches behind him in order to feel confident.

Should Warner be chosen it will be in a middle order role, after Lehmann confirmed Shane Watson and Chris Rogers had been inked in as opening batsmen for the series. The concept of a powerful counter-puncher at No. 6 has grown on the tourists, though his selection would not only run contrary to Warner's lack of preparation but his form before that. Scores of 0, 0 and 9 in his three innings so far in Britain followed on from an indifferent IPL and a poor Test series against India.

"He's certainly served his punishment," Clarke said, echoing Lehmann's words about Warner having a "clean slate" under the new regime. "His punishment was no cricket up until the first Test match and now it's about working out what our best team is. I don't believe David won't be selected because of punishment. I think that's been dealt with. It'll be about working out our best team.

"Certainly the selectors are going to take into consideration that he hasn't played much cricket over the past couple of weeks but on the other side of that the type of player Davey is it's more about his mind being clear and playing with that intent. I don't think Dave is the type of player that needs two four day games to make some runs to feel confident.

If he's in the right place batting well in the nets I'm confident if the selectors do decide to pick him he can walk straight out onto the first Test to make a hundred.

Apart from their fitness and persistence, Clarke and the selectors gained little in the way of relevant knowledge about their bowlers on the final day at New Road. It was a fitting name for the ground given the way the pitch behaved, steadfastly refusing to break up or offer anything but the most minimal assistance. There has been some speculation about Peter Siddle's place given a lack of wickets, but Clarke spoke generously of the most experienced fast bowler at his disposal.

"Form certainly helps but Sidds has been a strike weapon for us over the last couple of years," Clarke said. "The selectors will pick the best attack, you don't necessarily have to be one of the best bowlers, it will be a complementary attack that helps us have success in the conditions we're about to face. I think it's one of his strengths. But they will need to pick an attack, not an individual bowler."

While admittedly close to Arthur, Clarke said the team had settled quickly following Lehmann's appointment, and spoke happily of the displays put on against Somerset and Worcestershire, which suggested a team growing in confidence, unity and belief in their skills. For this he joined the rest of the squad in praising Lehmann, recalling their earlier time in the Test team together.

"We're talking more about old times, that's for sure," Clarke said. "I was lucky enough to play a fair bit of cricket with Darren so it's nice to be back talking cricket with him. He's got an amazing amount of knowledge about the game. I guess we've got a lot of similarities in the way we want to play. I had a great relationship with Mickey and I still do. The people who know Darren and know me know we were very close when we were playing as well.

"There's no doubt the boys have handled what's happened over the past month as well as they possibly could I think our momentum is slowly building. I think our performance in both four-dayers, there are a lot of positives to take out of both games. We're just about ready to play this first Test."

:crazy:

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I don't think they'll pick Warner or Siddle.

I think we'll see:

1-Watson
2-Rogers
3-Hughes
4-Smith
5-Clarke*
6-Khawaja
7-Haddin+
8-Starc
9-Pattinson
10-Lyon
11-Bird

JW

Coach
FFS, the old chestnut.

Seriously kids, go out and put all your energy into being an ace net batsmen or bowler and work on being "a character around the dressing room". Master those and you can just about guarantee yourself national selection at some point.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think they'll pick Warner or Siddle.

I think we'll see:

1-Watson
2-Rogers
3-Hughes
4-Smith
5-Clarke*
6-Khawaja
7-Haddin+
8-Starc
9-Pattinson
10-Lyon
11-Bird

agree, that would be my team, wont be the selectors tho

they'll probably go with Siddle and Warner

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I know it's not a popular view, but i reckon the series is that big, that we are going to need a massive hearted bowler like Sidds..

Also we'll need his experience as our attack is so young..

Sidds job will be to hold up an end, build pressure, & bowl those tough overs when we aren't on top..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And what about Harris???

If he's fit he plays as far as I'm concerned, and if he can't back up in the 2nd test we will have Siddle and Bird waiting in the wings. Harris had troubled the Poms before, I have no doubt he will be left out for Siddle or Bird into the wind bowler. When he's fit he's world class.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ashes series are weird beasts..

Character comes into the equation just as much as pure ability..
True, but Siddle bowled like a drain over there in 09 and his form has been pretty poor over there so far. He bowls too short to be dangerous over there. Hopefully he is told to pitch it up.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
True, but Siddle bowled like a drain over there in 09 and his form has been pretty poor over there so far. He bowls too short to be dangerous over there. Hopefully he is told to pitch it up.

Agree with that 100%..

But Sidds is Patto's security blanket..

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Anyone been following Faux Sports News Great Ashes Moments??..

I remember this as though it was yesterday..

I got grounded from going to the beach for a week for saying f**k in front of my parents & grandparents when Miller took the deflected catch..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/great-ashes-moment-no5-allan-border-and-jeff-thomson-fall-just-short-of-miracle-victory/story-fn5k3dtc-1226675232185#.UdejFDtHI_s

Great Ashes moment No.5: Allan Border and Jeff Thomson fall just short of miracle victory..

Tony Harper FOX SPORTS July 06, 2013 1:24PM

5sod.jpg

Jeff Thomson (L) and Allan Border after just falling short in the 1982 Boxing Day Test against England. Source: Supplied

IF there is such a thing as a heroic failure, Allan Border and Jeff Thomson achieved it back in the Ashes series of 1982-83.

The pair combined to nearly - ever so nearly - pull off one of Test cricket's most remarkable victories, before the great Ian Botham intervened.

AB and Thommo's legendary partnership comes in at No.5 in our countdown of 35 great Ashes moments from the past 35 years, while it was voted in at No.9 in our user poll.

From Botham, Border and Boycott to Waugh, Flintoff and Warne, we've got all the legends covered in our colourful countdown.

AUSTRALIA were 2-0 up in the series when the teams met for the fourth Test.

After leading by three runs on the first innings, Australia were set 292 and all seemed lost when the ninth man fell at 218, bringing Jeff Thomson in to partner Allan Border.

Yet, when play ended early on day four the pair had knocked off half the 74 runs required.

With the game just one ball, or 37 runs, from a finish, fans were allowed in free on day five and more than 10,000 turned up to chant and bang on the MCG fence as the Australians edged towards the target.

England bungled a run out chance and Thomson played and missed and stepped away to prod singles.

Then, somehow, the pair were four runs from victory. Ian Botham returned and struck.

Thomson edged to Chris Tavare at slip but he muffed it, only for Geoff Miller to sweep up the rebound.

The crowd fell silent while those at home were still watching an advertisement for Sidchrome spanners.

The TV station crossed back and the image was of Botham, fists pumping and face covered in ecstasy charging off the field.