What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st or 16th Premiership

Drew-Sta

Staff member
greenos said:
A quick lesson for you Willow. You St George Illawarra fans can think you have won 15 premierships. At least it makes you sleep at night.

In the immortal words of Bart Simpson:

"Go to hell!"

:thumb

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Some people say we formed a "NEW" club. Can't they be in trouble for copyright since they are using the same logo and jersey design as another club?

What makes a new club?

Gold Coast are new, they are starting with a new stadium, new logo, new players, new coach, new management, new clubhouse etc?

Dragons had none of that. What would of been the difference if Illawarra were kicked out of the comp for not fitting into the criteria set out by the ARL and St George bought them out and are now using their facilities? Nothing.

Saints did something for the game by including the Illawarra district and expanded their supporter base whilst the Dogs organised family days and bought all these extra supporters into the game which are now causing huge problems and scaring off their true blue supporters who were supporting them from day 1 just to get more money in the door. Bronco's were buying all the good players from all over QLD to weaken the other clubs like the Charges, Crushers etc therefore making them extinct bar the Cowboys. Roosters are pinching everyones juniors, Parra are trying to buy the comp etc.

Thank god for teams like Dragons, Canberra, West Tigers & Penrith who actually do what is good for the game and not themselves. Pump money into junior developement and try and win it with their local/junior based players.

Dragonheart

Juniors
Must be nearly finals time, with all but two teams behind us on the ladder....all the worms are crawling out of the woodwork.

There's nothing worthwhile commenting on in their team forum, so they come here.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Interesting read on th NRL site at:

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=12437

No surprises that they're putting in an each way bet on this one.

Dragons latest favourites for crown

8 August 2005

Seeking its maiden premiership as a joint venture club, St George Illawarra...

...fans believing their side can finally end a heartbreaking sequence of five grand final defeats since the Dragons last hoisted the trophy in 1979.

-------------------------------------------
The each way bet in that the NRL are gearing up for for JV's 1st to ride in on the history of it being the Dragons' 16th.

bender

Juniors
Willow said:
Right on Bro.:cool:

Bender, your post is full of contradictions.
Haven't you got an old thread somewhere that needs bumping up?

I will wait till the inevitable first or second week of finals, when Saints fans lament another year where the St George team fails to live up to their "potential". Or better yet, when they are outclassed by the broncos in yet another Grand Final;-)

Anyway, back to topic (or sort of) on a serious note, how is the joint venture really travelling with most StGeorge fans? A St George Illawarra premiership would feel the same with most of the supporters as a St George Premiership wouldnt it, or do most fans still feel as if their club shouldnt have merged?

Ribs

Bench
I dont know why people are complaining.... and to be honest the complaints are few and far between these days.

Reasons why Im in favour.....

Hornby, Cooper, Barrett, Timmins, Creagh, Young, Ryles, Bailey.......

Plus the fact that we have secured the best junior nursery in NSW.

The premiership will feel just as good to me.

Southernsaint

Staff member
bender said:
I will wait till the inevitable first or second week of finals, when Saints fans lament another year where the St George team fails to live up to their "potential". Or better yet, when they are outclassed by the broncos in yet another Grand Final;-)

Anyway, back to topic (or sort of) on a serious note, how is the joint venture really travelling with most StGeorge fans? A St George Illawarra premiership would feel the same with most of the supporters as a St George Premiership wouldnt it, or do most fans still feel as if their club shouldnt have merged?

St George when they lose, St George Illawarra when they win??

bender

Juniors
wyvern said:
That depends on who you ask, doesn't it mate?

Yeah fair enough, Though i consider the opinion of Willow, Daith Connolli, The good Reverend (if he is still around) and several others very important, they are like super saints:) .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My opinion is that its a less than subtle bait.

But sure...
They're always St George to me. I don't mind the full name of St George Illawarra Dragons but its a bit of mouthful... heck knows I've tried to say the full name but my normal habit is to call them St George, or just Saints. I don't think I'm alone there.

This is no disrespect to the Illawarra who have been part of it all since the 1920s. Many Illawarra juniors played in the Dragons before the Steelers came and went.
Bottom line in that regard is that it's a big 'backyard' and I'm more than pleased to see the area developed for the betterment of Rugby League and for both districts.

In fact, the two districts have always shared common borders and history even before the William Webb Ellis myth was maunfactured by the union ratbags. So it's not unusual to see a connection develop.

If (BIG IF) we win a premiership, it'll be number 16. And I'll celebrate this in line with the rich and proud history of St George. Plus I know it'll have an impact on the St George district and junior dvelopment there. But I'm also aware that it will represent a boost in the Illawarra - the rewards for future junior development will follow and Rugby League on the South Coast will also be a winner.

It would indeed be huge for the Illawarra.

You should have seen the front page of the Mercury today.

The entire front page devoted to the Saints' new position as premiership favourites in the betting markets, as well as follow-up stories in the news and sports pages.

drake

First Grade
Willow said:

But sure...
They're always St George to me. I don't mind the full name of St George Illawarra Dragons but its a bit of mouthful... heck knows I've tried to say the full name but my normal habit is to call them St George, or just Saints. I don't think I'm alone there.

This is no disrespect to the Illawarra who have been part of it all since the 1920s. Many Illawarra juniors played in the Dragons before the Steelers came and went.
Bottom line in that regard is that it's a big 'backyard' and I'm more than pleased to see the area developed for the betterment of Rugby League and for both districts.

In fact, the two districts have always shared common borders and history even before the William Webb Ellis myth was maunfactured by the union ratbags. So it's not unusual to see a connection develop.

If (BIG IF) we win a premiership, it'll be number 16. And I'll celebrate this in line with the rich and proud history of St George. Plus I know it'll have an impact on the St George district and junior dvelopment there. But I'm also aware that it will represent a boost in the Illawarra - the rewards for future junior development will follow and Rugby League on the South Coast will also be a winner.
Ladies and gents, please put your hands together for Willow.:clap:

Well said mate.

bender

Juniors
Willow said:

But sure...

No bait at all Willow.

Good post that is the way I would ahve thought and hoped joint ventures would have been for fans (of Illawarra and St George). Much like most Broncos fans, who for all intensive purposes considered the broncos the natural progression of Brisbane Wests, Valleys, Broncos etc. It would have been good to see the seprate sides maintained in the reserve grade, like Wests Tigers, but I can see why it wasnt. And in reality, that is probably a good thing also for the club.

Latest posts