What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: England v New Zealand at Lords, June 2-6 2021

TheParraboy

Staff member
Conway is another Mike Hussey

Hussey debut was when he just turned 28, Conway will turn 30 next month

Conway averages over 47 in over 100 FC matches.

Begs the question why hasnt he been given a run earlier?

The answer follows...

Turns out he is South African and played most of those FC games over there

Came to NZ to chase international fame id gather, about 3 years ago

Good luck to him, hope he has a long test career like Mr Cricket

JJ

Immortal
Conway is another Mike Hussey

Hussey debut was when he just turned 28, Conway will turn 30 next month

Conway averages over 47 in over 100 FC matches.

Begs the question why hasnt he been given a run earlier?

The answer follows...

Turns out he is South African and played most of those FC games over there

Came to NZ to chase international fame id gather, about 3 years ago

Good luck to him, hope he has a long test career like Mr Cricket
You didn’t know he was a Saffer?

pretty uncomplicated game, and by all accounts a very nice fella so will fit right in... 😉

TheParraboy

Staff member
You didn’t know he was a Saffer?

pretty uncomplicated game, and by all accounts a very nice fella so will fit right in... 😉

Had no idea, Its probably why he didn't go to one of the big 3 😉

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I might see how he goes for a while before I start calling him the next Mike Hussey.

Out for 23 in the 2nd innings

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, lost day killed it for us

not sure about Hussey, but Conway is seriously good

There’s a slight chance of a result... if..

Wagner can blast a quick fire 50 or more in the same vein as his first innings... If he does NZ could have a lead of over 250 + lead well before lunch... a declaration could come before the break..

Or...

If England demolish NZ for under 150... They had a major collapse in the first innings on day 2... and both Williamson and Conway are already out..

Overwhelmingly the odds are stacked toward a draw... but you never know.

Of the two possible scenarios above, I think the 2nd is more likely, as I think NZ aren’t likely to declare without at least a lead in the high 200’s. Which will take time to do

Zadar

Juniors
Just saw that a ball went past the wicket keeper for four byes, nothing the keeper could of done about it, but the commentators said he was blowing up because the 4 byes went against him, and he was quite frustrated.

does anybody really know, or care which wicket keeper has given up the most byes?

Is it the most useless stat in cricket?

Early lunch with NZ leading by 272..

I reckon that’s enough to declare on - especially as England are missing Stokes Buttler n Bairstow who would be the most likely to chase that down.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just saw that a ball went past the wicket keeper for four byes, nothing the keeper could of done about it, but the commentators said he was blowing up because the 4 byes went against him, and he was quite frustrated.

does anybody really know, or care which wicket keeper has given up the most byes?

Wadey gave up 6000 billion during his career

edabomb

First Grade

When I was a kid I remember Adam Parore setting the record for most runs scored against a team without a bye being conceded. The only reference I can find online is the below from cricketweb. So it's true nobody cares, also true those byes should have been a wide.

He wicketkept while a record 2100-2200 runs (can't remember exact figure) were scored at test level before he conceded a bye! The next best was 1200.

edabomb

First Grade
Santner now with a 24/45 test average combo. That'll be his lost till the first game of the next series when he is inexplicably recalled again.

JJ

Immortal
Santner now with a 24/45 test average combo. That'll be his lost till the first game of the next series when he is inexplicably recalled again.
Two very important tests coming up, do we go all pace? Or use one of Santner, Ravindra or Patel? Ravindra actually can bat... Ajax can actually bowl with a red ball... but the 4 quick plus Colin can probably get things done unless spin really looks important

Santner should be finished as a test cricketer imo, but is so useful with the white ball

edabomb

First Grade
Two very important tests coming up, do we go all pace? Or use one of Santner, Ravindra or Patel? Ravindra actually can bat... Ajax can actually bowl with a red ball... but the 4 quick plus Colin can probably get things done unless spin really looks important

Santner should be finished as a test cricketer imo, but is so useful with the white ball
Against India I think 4 seamers and the medium pace allrounder make sense. Our spinners aren't going to be to be good enough to challenge them.

I like Ravindra as a player but I'm not convinced he is up to sending down 10-15 overs in a day, first class bowling average is almost 60 so I think the redball allround tag is a huge stretch at this stage. If he isn't up to bowling those overs does his batting at 6 justify a spot? I wouldn’t mind seeing Ajaz in the next test, and if he bowls out of his skin then he could play himself into the team for the final.

Then we have the Mitchell question if we want to pad out the batting. My test final team at this stage is:

Latham
Conway
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Watling
CdG (very narrowly over Mitchell at this stage)
Jamieson
Wagner
Southee
Boult (I'd like to see him play the 2nd test but would select him either way)

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Against India I think 4 seamers and the medium pace allrounder make sense. Our spinners aren't going to be to be good enough to challenge them.

I like Ravindra as a player but I'm not convinced he is up to sending down 10-15 overs in a day, first class bowling average is almost 60 so I think the redball allround tag is a huge stretch at this stage. If he isn't up to bowling those overs does his batting at 6 justify a spot? I wouldn’t mind seeing Ajaz in the next test, and if he bowls out of his skin then he could play himself into the team for the final.

Then we have the Mitchell question if we want to pad out the batting. My test final team at this stage is:

Latham
Conway
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Watling
CdG (very narrowly over Mitchell at this stage)
Jamieson
Wagner
Southee
Boult (I'd like to see him play the 2nd test but would select him either way)
Yep, Colin is a clever bowler and those conditions likely to suit, Mitchell offers much more with the bat

Ravindra is one for the future, too soon imo