What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: England v New Zealand at Lords, June 2-6 2021

TheParraboy

Staff member
big month for the kiwis

2 test series v Poms starts Sunday 8pm (2nd test 10/6)

Good practice for them before the ICC Test Final v India (18/6)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...new-zealand-playing-a-test-series-now-1264564

Explainer: Why are England and New Zealand playing a Test series now?

It's not on the FTP, it's not part of the WTC, and it won't feature any of England's IPL players (bar one)

322137.jpg

JJ

Immortal
Hopefully Boult can get there for second test, and hopefully Conway plays

Bloody exciting for us minnows

Scott

Bench
Hopefully Boult can get there for second test, and hopefully Conway plays

Bloody exciting for us minnows

Boult won't be there & ready until the WTC Final.

Agreed, Conway should open. I'd also play Ravindra at 7.

Really looking forward to watching this through June.

JJ

Immortal
Boult won't be there & ready until the WTC Final.

Agreed, Conway should open. I'd also play Ravindra at 7.

Really looking forward to watching this through June.
Think Boult is there for second, question of whether he's 'ready'

I like Ravindra, but a gamble in these tests?

Scott

Bench
Think Boult is there for second, question of whether he's 'ready'

I like Ravindra, but a gamble in these tests?
It could be considered a gamble i guess, but i would prefer he plays ahead of the 'safe' options of Mitchell & de Grandhomme. 4 quicks plus Ravindra works well for me.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Tweaks to ensure pesky minnows like NZ don’t finish ahead of the big teams?

I think it was Jo Root who said something like he cant understand how a 5 test ashes series is worth 60 points, and a 2 test India v Bangladesh series is also worth 60 points , towards the TC . Im sure he wanted to mention NZ v WI 2 test series but held back :D

One avenue they are looking at is have minimum 3 test series contributing to points only. So im assuming a 4 or 5 test series the first 3 tests get points for the test championship. Nations that want to play 2 test series don't get any points, so kiwis may be in some strife returning for back to back finals ;)

Problem being ,some countries couldn't care less, would prefer to play a 5 game t20 series than extra test, or even a test series

JJ

Immortal
I think it was Jo Root who said something like he cant understand how a 5 test ashes series is worth 60 points, and a 2 test India v Bangladesh series is also worth 60 points , towards the TC . Im sure he wanted to mention NZ v WI 2 test series but held back :D

One avenue they are looking at is have minimum 3 test series contributing to points only. So im assuming a 4 or 5 test series the first 3 tests get points for the test championship. Nations that want to play 2 test series don't get any points, so kiwis may be in some strife returning for back to back finals ;)

Problem being ,some countries couldn't care less, would prefer to play a 5 game t20 series than extra test, or even a test series
LOL, yeah give more pts for long series and more tests, that would ensure that nobody outside Aust, Ind and Eng were in the running

We win toss and will bat, Conway to debut, Santner (can never understand why) and big Colin playing

JJ

Immortal
Broad must be frustrated, 3 overs at left handed Australasian openers and no wicket

On another note...

I’ve noticed the English have moved away from the crisp-white kit of recent times... now subtly angling into the cremes...

African Monkey

First Grade
When Doull was talking up Conway before the match started, you could tell the English commentators didn't really take him seriously haha.

He's some player that's for sure. It helps that he's played a lot of FC cricket before coming into the national side.

JJ

Immortal
Devon” Real Deal “ Conway looks a playa!!
For the first time ever, we have a seriously good top 6... Nicholls will be streaky, but the rest are good

Even when Taylor and Watling retire, a lineup of Latham, Young, Conway, Williamson (or vice versa), Nicholls, Blundell is pretty good

Good start, I guess they could have been busier, you add 2/20 and things are more even...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
For the first time ever, we have a seriously good top 6... Nicholls will be streaky, but the rest are good

Even when Taylor and Watling retire, a lineup of Latham, Young, Conway, Williamson (or vice versa), Nicholls, Blundell is pretty good

Good start, I guess they could have been busier, you add 2/20 and things are more even...
It’s NZ best squad in a long long time, probably your best ever. Paddles and Crowe are still your best two players ever but there were some holes in those sides they played in. But you have all bases covered bar a spinner but you aren’t on your Pat Malone there.

Reactions: JJ