What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: South Africa v India at Capetown Jan 5-9 2018

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not the greatest, but genuinely great and criminally underrated for sure

Look Kallis and ABDV batted on flat Safrican roads that suddenly turned into green mine fields when Steyn bowled. Okay?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Who criminally under rates him?
He's easily on par with the likes of McGrath, Lillee, Hadlee, Marshall and Ambrose.

But who mentions him in that manner?

This is the era of batting. With flat decks and big bats.

And yet here's Dale Steyn with a 22.5 avg, a 41 S/R and a killer record in the subcontinent.

That's the clinher for me. Lillee is revered like a God but couldn't cut it in India where as Steyn has killed it over there.

He ticks every single box and deserves to be considered equal to any fast bowler who has ever played the game.

But because he hasn't taken 15 5 fers in Australia you never hear the Aussie commentators give him his dues.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
He's easily on par with the likes of McGrath, Lillee, Hadlee, Marshall and Ambrose.

And yet here's Dale Steyn with a 22.5 avg, a 41 S/R and a killer record in the subcontinent.

That's the clinher for me. Lillee is revered like a God but couldn't cut it in India where as Steyn has killed it over there.

He ticks every single box and deserves to be considered equal to any fast bowler who has ever played the game.

But because he hasn't taken 15 5 fers in Australia you never hear the Aussie commentators give him his dues.

Aussie commentators keep going on about how the current Aussie attack is the best in the world.

Just makes the March tour to Safrica more juicy and anticipated for me.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Who gives a f**k if Australian commentators give him his dues?

Again, there is an obsession with calling sportsmen in the modern era 'the greatest of all time'. If they are, so they should be. They're full time professionals with everything modern sports science, science, medicine and technology can offer at their disposal.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Aussie commentators keep going on about how the current Aussie attack is the best in the world.

Just makes the March tour to Safrica more juicy and anticipated for me.
And of course Australian commentators are the only ones in the world to talk up their own sportsmen.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
And of course Australian commentators are the only ones in the world to talk up their own sportsmen.

Of course not, but they're as notorious for it as the Indian commentary team.

They're selling cricket to their markets.

Last edited:
Lol. Blame Aussie commentators.

What a crock of shit.

Steyn is up there with best. He's given credit here. He's well respected.

f**k there's some dribble go on in here sometimes. It was only last year the commentators were rightfully fapping over Rabada too.

Hutty1986

Immortal
SA quicks putting on a clinic here, especially Rabada. Fast, accurate and just relentless. There is going to be unbelievable pressure on Smith snd Warner to score bucketloads of runs if we are going to be competitive over there. Pujara 25* off 84 here and really showing his patience and class.

Bazal

Post Whore
Steyn was almost universally regarded as the best quick in the world 2-3 years ago. Ludicrous to call him criminally underrated for mine., his fitness is now the question, not his ability.

The SA attack vs the Aussie attack is mouthwatering

Tommy Smith

Referee
SA quicks putting on a clinic here, especially Rabada. Fast, accurate and just relentless. There is going to be unbelievable pressure on Smith snd Warner to score bucketloads of runs if we are going to be competitive over there. Pujara 25* off 84 here and really showing his patience and class.
Pujara is the best no.3 in world cricket. Just ahead of Sir James Vince.

World class Test batsman is Cheteshwar.

He'd probs be dropped for being a turtle if he was an Aussie. Not enough levers.

Bazal

Post Whore
Pujara is the best no.3 in world cricket. Just ahead of Sir James Vince.

World class Test batsman is Cheteshwar.

He'd probs be dropped for being a turtle if he was an Aussie. Not enough levers.

Better than Kohli IMO.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Lillee never played in India