What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: South Africa v India at Capetown Jan 5-9 2018

vvvrulz

Coach
I swear I read somewhere one of the Indians reckoned they could chase 300 here.... Lol

That was Pujara, and he said 350 is no big deal to chase.

Interestingly if they didn't fluff a catch off Pandya - India wouldn't have crossed 150 in either innings.

They're hailing him as the next Kapil Dev (!) based on that loose T20 swing.
It came off this time but the man's technique is laughable.

It was nice to see Bhuvaneshwar given some bowling conditions, I do rate him as a swing bowler.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Agree, very much like Southee or Anderson, in the right conditions an absolute menace.

if Conditions aren't helpful he becomes a medium pace pie merchant.

vvvrulz

Coach
Agree, very much like Southee or Anderson, in the right conditions an absolute menace.

if Conditions aren't helpful he becomes a medium pace pie merchant.

This is the whole problem with the wickets these days, it's the death of the swing bowler.

Shaun Pollock was military medium in his last 5-6 years but with relentless accuracy and the ball nibbling around he was a handful. One of the biggest pet peeves I have is someone like Dhawan being able to plant is front foot almost blindfolded and predict the trajectory knowing it won't do a thing, that's how a bowler like Philander just gets taken completely out of the game.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Oh and Lol @ Team India, biggest bunch of flat track Bullies the world has ever seen.

Flat track bullies?

That aint India in tests.

Bunsen Burner Bullies maybe. Tho SL and Bangladesh aint seen one of those in India of late. SA, Aus, NZ def have.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
This is the whole problem with the wickets these days, it's the death of the swing bowler.

Shaun Pollock was military medium in his last 5-6 years but with relentless accuracy and the ball nibbling around he was a handful. One of the biggest pet peeves I have is someone like Dhawan being able to plant is front foot almost blindfolded and predict the trajectory knowing it won't do a thing, that's how a bowler like Philander just gets taken completely out of the game.

2004 and 2005 Pollock's SR went through the roof 65.5 and 72.7, and his average at apprx 30 was well above his career sr.
2006 he averaged 40 at 83.1.
2007 he was played as a reserve fillin for injuries as Morkel had replaced him for extra pace with Ntini and Steyn. His career as a front liner was ended by the 3 seasons previous. He did a fair job of filling in, but couldn't regain his spot. Even Nel finished 2007 ahead of him as Safrica preferred pace
2008 Pollock was given a farewell test

Bazal

Post Whore
Flat track bullies?

That aint India in tests.

Bunsen Burner Bullies maybe. Tho SL and Bangladesh aint seen one of those in India of late. SA, Aus, NZ def have.

They didn't look like Bunsen Burner Bullies on that disgraceful wicket in Pune....

They're home town heroes though. Hard to find a batsman who doesn't like a flat track I suppose

ANTiLAG

First Grade
They didn't look like Bunsen Burner Bullies on that disgraceful wicket in Pune....

They're home town heroes though. Hard to find a batsman who doesn't like a flat track I suppose

Ashwin and Jadeja are very much the proof of their Bunsen Burning Bully approach to tests unless Bngladesh or SL tour India. Ash and Jadeja don't even buy wickets with much success outside the sub continent.

Home town hereoes I like, but it describes all 5 of the top nations, possibly SL as well, the best away record being Safrica's who won in Aus, NZ and looked likely in England until Philander got ill.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Ashwin and Jadeja are very much the proof of their Bunsen Burning Bully approach to tests unless Bngladesh or SL tour India. Ash and Jadeja don't even buy wickets with much success outside the sub continent.

Home town hereoes I like, but it describes all 5 of the top nations, the best away record being Safrica's who won in Aus, NZ and looked likely in England until Philander got ill.

Well yeah but Hiney was talking about the batsmen. Not many bowlers you'd describe as flat track bullies.

Jadeja is rubbish outside home-esque conditions though. Ashwin at least has a go, the Earl of Rajkot is abysmal...

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Well yeah but Hiney was talking about the batsmen. Not many bowlers you'd describe as flat track bullies.

Jadeja is rubbish outside home-esque conditions though. Ashwin at least has a go, the Earl of Rajkot is abysmal...

Yeah, but Indian batsmen score plenty of runs with ball bouncing after gripping on a turning pitch. That aint flat track bullying. Just ask Khawaja.

Whereas Pujara on a truly flat deck still strugggles with bounce. He can handle seam (and swing if Bangladesh and SL bowlers in India), but he seems to prefer the ball keeping low.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee

This times a thousand.

If a bowler lines up to bowl on an MCG drop in freeway, of course they look awful. Too many batsman happy groundsmen who want to make sure the broadcaster gets 5 days.

Bazal

Post Whore
This times a thousand.

If a bowler lines up to bowl on an MCG drop in freeway, of course they look awful. Too many batsman happy groundsmen who want to make sure the broadcaster gets 5 days.

Well that's exactly what I said about Jackson Bird. Bloke came in to the MCG test averaging 27 with the ball in Test cricket. That's nothing to sneeze at. But a tall bloke like him who bowls with a good upright seam and gets movement off the wicket is going to get absolutely nothing out of the MCG deck. And he doesn't get the new ball to extract any swing from his action or the air.

I actually think genuine swing bowlers are far better off than seam bowlers. There's still plenty of grounds with atmospheric assistance even if the deck is shit (although the swing doesn't last as long). Poor old seam bowlers get absolutely nothing.

Was interesting seeing Chris Tremlett saying that England aren't producing genuine fast bowlers because they all become swing bowlers just to get a go in local conditions. Seems they have the opposite problem to Australia in a way, we produce quick bowlers because having that pace is an advantage of dead tracks so the quick bowlers go further up the tiers, but we're lacking a bit in proper swing or seam bowlers....

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Ah, guys, the ball might deviate again after pitching but swing occurs in the air.

Edit not addressed to bazal who posted 0.0002 seconds before me.

Iafeta

Referee
To me, it isn't so much the sideways movement that's the issue. The pitches are flat as, they don't break up and provide variable bounce. I hated it when it would keep low or bounce off a length. Much harder to play.

Latest posts