What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: South Africa v India @ Centurion Dec 26-30, 2021

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's interesting. T20 cricket creates some issues but isn't to blame for there being absolutely no talent in some countries.

SA, Windies, Sri Lanka are cesspits of mismanagement and political bullshit. Bangladesh have gone backwards for the same kind of reasons. England have just exposed a massive priority issue...
Some of these countries have been rubbish longer than 20/20 has been a thing, but I don’t think it’s helping the plight of the modern batsman.

Time for the Netherlands , Canada and USA to be admitted as full test playing nations. Cricket needs a lift and new Blood

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Some of these countries have been rubbish longer than 20/20 has been a thing, but I don’t think it’s helping the plight of the modern batsman.

I dunno, I see a lot of the younger guys practicing their ramp shots and reverse sweeps in the nets now whereas it was never ever played in the nets or you'd get your arse kicked

it's just accepted now as some junior development squads (U/14s and U/16s) are playing a fair amount of white ball cricket

I think the days of having batsmen like Warner play all 3 formats may be numbered

Bazal

Post Whore
I dunno, I see a lot of the younger guys practicing their ramp shots and reverse sweeps in the nets now whereas it was never ever played in the nets or you'd get your arse kicked

it's just accepted now as some junior development squads (U/14s and U/16s) are playing a fair amount of white ball cricket

I think the days of having batsmen like Warner play all 3 formats may be numbered

And when Steve Waugh started slog sweeping every merkin or Shane Warne started bowling flippers kids were doing that too.

It's nothing to do with the shots they play. The game changes, simple as that. How many reverse sweeps did Uzi play when he saved that Test in the UAE?

Playing a different shot won't wreck the game, as much as I personally hate the reverse I enjoy watching it played right. The best players score runs, however that works for them

King-Gutho94

Coach
It's interesting. T20 cricket creates some issues but isn't to blame for there being absolutely no talent in some countries.

SA, Windies, Sri Lanka are cesspits of mismanagement and political bullshit. Bangladesh have gone backwards for the same kind of reasons. England have just exposed a massive priority issue...
Yeah Bangladesh are frustating they have been a test playing nation for 21 years and they should have made more progress by now.

Any gains they do seem to make get washed away pretty quickly by inept performances.

Australia probably hasn't helped by avoiding to play them at all costs but even so i can't even see Bangladesh doing a Sri Lanka 1996 type run in the one dayers anytime soon they always seem out of their depth in white ball world cups let alone tests.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Time for the Netherlands , Canada and USA to be admitted as full test playing nations. Cricket needs a lift and new Blood
PNG as well.

Cricket Australia should be doing more with them seeing as their our northern neighbors.

I was listening to the PNG coach on a podcast at the T20 WC and he said CA should be looking at letting some of the PNG players play in the BBL as local players not overseas players to help grow those players which in turn can make PNG better which will also grow the game.

He used Justin Olam as an example in league on how it can inspire young kids. Just imagine a young PNG kid lighting up the BBL.

But beacuse they are currently classified as overseas players no BBL team will touch them. Because there not going to waste one of those 3 overseas spots.

JJ

Immortal
De Kock retires from test cricket

will be more of that outside the big three I imagine, wages from the stupid stuff dominates and they have to look after their families

Bazal

Post Whore
De Kock retires from test cricket

will be more of that outside the big three I imagine, wages from the stupid stuff dominates and they have to look after their families

Probably right, but retiring immediately? In the middle of a series?

Can't help but feel there's a bit more to it than just franchise cricket money

TheParraboy

Staff member
Probably right, but retiring immediately? In the middle of a series?

Can't help but feel there's a bit more to it than just franchise cricket money

Tend to agree,

Wouldn't be surprised if some muppet board member said something to him when he got dismissed (or to the group at games end)

You would think with IPL, and being SAs main marquee player, he wouldn't be doing to badly financially

He knew a bub was coming, so could have retired well before the series started to use that reason. Would have been more believable