What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Sri Lanka v England at Galle Nov 6-10 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
There was a 2 day warm up match v SLC XI in Columbo, shock horror ended in a draw

Another 2 day warm up match starts today against the same mob, same venue

Would it be better to have one warm up match go for 4 days?

Anyhow, 3 test series starts Tuesday 3.30pm

Bazal

Post Whore
Poms won le toss and will obviously bat.

6 spinners in play, three a piece. Burns and Foakes also in for England.

Sadly no Lord Sir Christopher Woakes

Bazal

Post Whore
Rory "Adam Lyth" Burns strangles one down the leg side in the third over.

Moeen Ali at 3 is a bit like picking Mitch Darsh at 4...

Bazal

Post Whore
And Moeen loses his off stump to a dead straight delivery first ball. Lakmal on a hat-trick.

Something for your next book, Moeen

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Possibly the last test at this famous ground.

Disappointed that Woakes didn't get a run, not just because he's the best number 8 in history but because then it would be Stokes, Foakes and Woakes.

Tommy Smith

Referee
seriously ? Ali @ 3 ?

no wonder they are 5 down at lunch
Ali @ 3
MMarsh @ 4

Welcome to Test cricket in 2018.

Meanwhile congrats on a great career to Herath. The dude must be older than Bob Hawke so his impending retirement is well earned.

In a way he's been Sri Lanka's Stuart MacGill; only more durable.

Really? I've missed news on this... What the reason(s)?

I played there earlier this year, one of my lifetime highlights. It's an awesome ground.

This is from July 2018
Sri Lanka's Galle cricket stadium risks being demolished

One of the world's most picturesque cricket stadiums is at risk of being demolished because it threatens the heritage status of a nearby fort.

Galle cricket stadium, in southern Sri Lanka, is famed for its stunning views of the Indian Ocean.

But it is the 17th Century Dutch fort which looms over the ground that has put it in danger.

Sri Lanka's cultural affairs minister Wijeyadasa Rakapakshe said the fort risks losing Unesco World Heritage status because of unauthorised construction nearby, including the 500-seat pavilion stand which was rebuilt after the ground was devastated by the 2004 tsunami.

Mr Rakapakshe said the government had been left with a choice: either remain on the World Heritage list, or keep the pavilion.

However, Arjuna Ranatunga - who led Sri Lanka to victory in the 1996 World Cup as captain - has suggested a compromise: demolish the current stand, and put up temporary seating when Test matches were played.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44911225

seriously ? Ali @ 3 ?

no wonder they are 5 down at lunch

I don't like it either.
My guess is Roots record at 3 stinks, he doesn't want to bat there and by shoving Ali at 3 they can have another spin option.
There were even pre match suggestions Stokes could bat at 3.
With Cook retired and an inexperience revolving door of openers, plus a plethora of middle order batsmen\ all rounders you would think Root would step up and bat at 3 for some experience.

This is from July 2018
Sri Lanka's Galle cricket stadium risks being demolished

One of the world's most picturesque cricket stadiums is at risk of being demolished because it threatens the heritage status of a nearby fort.

Galle cricket stadium, in southern Sri Lanka, is famed for its stunning views of the Indian Ocean.

But it is the 17th Century Dutch fort which looms over the ground that has put it in danger.

Sri Lanka's cultural affairs minister Wijeyadasa Rakapakshe said the fort risks losing Unesco World Heritage status because of unauthorised construction nearby, including the 500-seat pavilion stand which was rebuilt after the ground was devastated by the 2004 tsunami.

Mr Rakapakshe said the government had been left with a choice: either remain on the World Heritage list, or keep the pavilion.

However, Arjuna Ranatunga - who led Sri Lanka to victory in the 1996 World Cup as captain - has suggested a compromise: demolish the current stand, and put up temporary seating when Test matches were played.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44911225

Ok thanks @Buzzard Breath

That sounds farcical to me. And had a look also on line for some background.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/787942

But now, a 500-seater pavilion, built in 2008 as part of the reconstruction following the 2004 tsunami, is a matter of contention as it blocks the view of the fort from the main Galle road. Reports suggest UNESCO is not against matches being held at the ground, but wants this structure cleared.

So - the "new" stand built over 10 years ago, and now being questioned. And blocks the view from the main road is an issue?

Ridiculous.

Hopefully this is just a snippet of something that won't go any further however also hopefully sensibility prevails. It would be an absolute travesty if this ground ceased to hold international games. Anyone who's been there like me will know just how awesome it is.

Well done to Foakes getting his maiden test ton.
Sri Lanka all out for 203.
8 wickets fall to the pommy spinners.
Poms 0/38 @ stumps. A lead of 177.
The lead will be valuable considering the way the top order usually fail.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think I said it before, during the ODIs maybe...but haven't Sri Lanka fallen?

Yeah they've never been a great Test side, but some of their batsmen played Moeen like Aussies FFS....

Bazal

Post Whore
Australia are shit at cricket, but it's comforting to know we're not "let Keaton Jennings score a hundred" levels of shit....yet

Timbo

Staff member
I am extremely happy Jennings scored a ton there.

Starc, Haze and Cummins will eat him alive next winter.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee Sri Lanka are a really poor cricket side atm, they stil spanked us 3 nil at home though.