What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 Million watch US v Aust

Hurriflatch

Referee
umm no

you have the right to have your judgement show me where I said you CANNOT, I disagreed with it but never said you couldn't have it

t-ba

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
excatly and I have the right to thin k your a D***Head for thinking Fitzy is a D***head

err, I think I got that one right?

seriously though. As I said I think that RL can make it in the US but it seems people only bag Fitzy when others are saying the same thing. Richardson who didn't even have any players thought the idea was stupid at least Fitzgerald with Hindmarsh and Petersen in the game had some players wh oculd've been injured yet Richardson gets no where near the same bagging Fitzgerald copped.

I wonder if Ricky Stuart had suggested that Coversions should be scrapped what the reaction would've been?

Good to see we've got the Free Speech deal all sorted out :lol: .

I'm not particularly annoyed at the US in particular (I felt the game would have been better served playing a Match against the Russkies), but I'm annoyed that Fitz, in addition to all his other crackpot ideas (i.e-Melbourne & Iceland, Merging with Union, Kicking out Manly + Souths), reckons the game is only feasible for expansion in The South Pacific, and nowhere else.

If Ricky wanted Conversions scrapped, He'd be laughed at. If Ricky started claiming the Warriors should be abandoned and the future of the game relied on a merger with Aussie Rules, then I'd imagine he'd start getting the kind of responses that Fitzgerald does.

t-ba

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
umm no

you have the right to have your judgement show me where I said you CANNOT, I disagreed with it but never said you couldn't have it

That's directed at Bazal.

Bazal

Post Whore
Mate, I said that Fitz has a right to express an opinion. I did not say that you didn't have that right, but I did, however, say that it was idiotic of you to have a go at a legitimate opinion just because you disagree. As I said, I don't think RL is feasible in Brazil, or Algeria, or Chad.... that is an opinion. But because you probably agree, you would be unlikely to criticise it. I accused you of double standards.

t-ba

Post Whore
Bazal said:
Mate, I said that Fitz has a right to express an opinion. I did not say that you didn't have that right, but I did, however, say that it was idiotic of you to have a go at a legitimate opinion just because you disagree. As I said, I don't think RL is feasible in Brazil, or Algeria, or Chad.... that is an opinion. But because you probably agree, you would be unlikely to criticise it. I accused you of double standards.

So, I should just agree to disagree? By Jove! Why didn't Hitler and Chamberlain come to that conclusion!

This is a site for RUGBY LEAGUE DEBATE. Disagreement is often considered to be the primary source of disagreement. If someone wants to defend Fitzy's "South Pacific: The Only Hope" argument, even The Fitzman himself, I'm happy to debate with them!

Oh, Brazil has 180 million and a rapidly growing middle class, with practically no sports besides Basketball, Indoor Football and Soccer. I see Potential...

Bazal

Post Whore
t-ba the hutt said:
Bazal said:

So, I should just agree to disagree? By Jove! Why didn't Hitler and Chamberlain come to that conclusion!

This is a site for RUGBY LEAGUE DEBATE. Disagreement is often considered to be the primary source of disagreement. If someone wants to defend Fitzy's "South Pacific: The Only Hope" argument, even The Fitzman himself, I'm happy to debate with them!

Oh, Brazil has 180 million and a rapidly growing middle class, with practically no sports besides Basketball, Indoor Football and Soccer. I see Potential...

Feel free to criticise, but don't attack an opinion just because you don't like it. Try and do something to back it up other than insulting the man.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Boys, tone down the language or take it over to the Fight Club. It's fine to have a spirited conversation, but leave the insults out of it.

t-ba

Post Whore
Bazal said:
t-ba the hutt said:
Bazal said:

Feel free to criticise, but don't attack an opinion just because you don't like it. Try and do something to back it up other than insulting the man.

Ok fine.

Would Mr Fitzgerald please explain the growth of juniors in rather substantial numbers in Lebanon, Russia and the UK and why it runs counter to his argument that the game can only hope to prosper in the South Pacific...more specifically, NSW,QLD, PNG, and 'New Zealand', and nowhere else?...Oh scratch The Northern Beaches and the old South Sydney Council Area...

Bazal

Post Whore
t-ba the hutt said:
Ok fine.

Would Mr Fitzgerald please explain the growth of juniors in rather substantial numbers in Lebanon, Russia and the UK and why it runs counter to his argument that the game can only hope to prosper in the South Pacific...more specifically, NSW,QLD, PNG, and 'New Zealand', and nowhere else?...Oh scratch The Northern Beaches and the old South Sydney Council Area...

That's something you'd have to put to him yourself. I'd be interested in his answer though. I think he counts the UK, like most people, as an area where RL is already established. I think what you'll find is Fitzy is talking in terms of breaking big time into a market, and it's not hard to see why he believes what he does. Lebanon, Russia, Malta, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, and other such areas are predominantly soccer strongholds, and have been for years and years. Rugby is trying to crack places like this, and finding it difficult to say the least. League probably has a better chance than Union, but will still find it very difficult, and have to spend big dollars, and even then will probably take a back seat to two or three sports as a minor attraction. It will probably not be as difficult to crack a decent market in the USA, but there will still have to be alot of time, effort, and money invested to make it work, especially with the popularity of the NRL and the fact that they have 32 teams in that competition, that can pay players literally tens of millions of dollars. That's as opposed to a developing sport with a considerably lower budget. So, it is certainly concievable that RL in the USA will be a miserable failure in the long run, and an experiment that damages the game on the whole. Let's say you get a professional comp up and running, which would most likely require initial loans from major countries to achieve. The NFL would straight away be looking to poach the best players, and eliminate it's competition. Sadly, that is the nature of that game at the moment, it's a very cut-throat, ultra professional business rather than a sport. If that were to happen, it would damage the sport as a whole. Now, obviously I'm only assuming this is Fitzys viewpoint, and I disagree with it, but based on that I can see where he is coming from.

iggy plop

First Grade
Fitzgerald is pathetic. Comments like that coupled with his previous desire for a Super 12 team make him a cancer within our game.

taipan

Referee
Fitzgerald's comments dont surprise me as typically ill informed,and because of his recent love fest with S12 and union generally,lacks real credibility due to his past quote that the 2 codes should combine and rugby union be the international code,or words to that effect.
Suggest he get his club side back on track and leave the international side to the people actuallly on the ground in co untries such as Russia,USA,Lebanon,Serbia,Georgia,Wales,Ireland,Scotland,West Indies,Tonga,Fiji,France to name off the top of my head.
He has rugby league at heart unfortunately his heart stops beating outside Parramatta. :lol:

RB30DETT

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
Asked was he a supporter of yesterday's expansion match, Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said: "On what I have found out about our injuries I'd have to say no.

"There is a question mark over such a game although it is spreading rugby league around the world. It is probably the wrong time to ask me."

Clear enough for you idiot?

Noad just found out that he has lost what will most likely be his two starting props to injury in this game, so ofcourse he was annoyed, he even said that is in not the right time to ask him how he feels about the game.

But Fitzy, well personally I think he just likes to see his name in the paper.

inertia666

Juniors
what a bunch of pussies. rugby is a contact sport. injuries can happen anytime. what would of is answer have been had the whole team been wrecked during the tri nations? cancel all internationals? no more exhibition matches? give me a break.

australia have had nothing but a whinge-on since the NRl finished.

oxenham

Juniors
inertia666 said:
what a bunch of pussies. rugby is a contact sport. injuries can happen anytime. what would of is answer have been had the whole team been wrecked during the tri nations? cancel all internationals? no more exhibition matches? give me a break.

australia have had nothing but a whinge-on since the NRl finished.

Totally agree, I mean they are full-time professionals and get payed a fair bit of dosh for what they do.

NPK

Bench
Big deal..Mason has months before the next NRL season starts. His injury was just a small sacrifice for the good of the game.

***MH***

Bench
gee, how insignificant do you suddenly feel... that your one of twenty million. Imagine if everyone that watched that game paid a contribution of 1 dollar to help set up RLIF!

that'll be about a million bucks at most, which is plenty in itself and probably enough to set it up. 20 million is the number of subscribers to fox sports world.

inertia666

Juniors
i can't honesly believe for a minute that that many peopel watched that game.

thats more than all the international fans put together.

Latest posts