What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 years of surfing with the alien (Joe Satriani)

Simo

First Grade
Joe Satriani Spends 20 Years Surfing

by Paul Cashmere - July 13 2007
photo by Ros O'Gorman
'Surfing With The Alien', the breakthrough album for guitar hero Joe Satriani, is about to turn 20 years old.
To celebrate the anniversary, Satriani will perform a number of intimate shows across the USA to showcase the album.
From the pool of fans who go to the gigs, 40 will be chosen to witness one very special performance. Satriani will perform at the very studio the album was recorded, Hyde Street Studio in San Francisco.
'Surfing With The Alien' was released in October 1987. It contained his most famous work, the Grammy nominated 'Always With Me, Always With You'.
Legacy Recordings will issue a 2CD 20th Anniversary edition of the album on August 7.
The Exclusive Club date itinerary is:
August 15 Gramercy Theatre New York, NY
August 16 The House of Blues Chicago, IL
August 17 The Roxy Theatre Los Angeles, CA
August 18 Hyde Street Studio San Francisco, CA

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=2450

Being one of the few instrumental albums I own I thought id give it a mention.

Whilst I get bored of instrumental albums they often provide some great tracks and I did like Always With Me, Always With You.

Was fun to play on the guitar.

What are your thought on Satch in general and this album. I think It did exceptionally well for an instrumental album of rock guitar. And Satch isnt my fav player of all time but he is pretty good and can play some interesting tunes. Im a fan of the G3 concerts.

carcharias

Immortal
geezuz
20 years hey?

I got it from a mate for a b'day .
I think I liked a song called ''a day at the beach'' from memory.

It had some good stuff on it with a few good genre's covered...it wasn't just diddly diddly diddly hair rock.

I saw him play for Mick Jagger around that time.
He did a little solo bit during the Jagger show ...it could of been Always with me , always with you.
...back when I had cash to see every band/artist that came to Sydney.

fat_mike

Juniors
a track from taht album was one of theme tracks to ea sports classic ARL 96. if anyone has it you'll notice it when you have the main menu screen up for a while.

Simo

First Grade
fat_mike said:
a track from taht album was one of theme tracks to ea sports classic ARL 96. if anyone has it you'll notice it when you have the main menu screen up for a while.

Have both and never noticed that, will have to go and try it!