What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2000-2005 All Star Australia Team...

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10972

At this stage it looks like:

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Anthony Minichiello
3. ***
4. ***
5. Matt Sing
6. Brad Fittler
7. Andrew Johns
8. Shane Webcke
9. Danny Buderus
10. Steve Price
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Gordon Tallis
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Petero Civoniceva
15. Craig Fitzgibbon
16. Craig Wing
17. Mark O'Meley

18th Man: Willie Mason/Bryan Fletcher

*** Most tend to agree with the forwards & bench (ignore the Knight's fans), but the backs are still a little awkward when deciding. With Timana Tahu, Lote Tuqiri, & Wendell Sailor competing for the winger spots taken by Matt Sing (sheer consistency over the past five years) & Anthony Minichiello (as much as he's a champion fullback, he has always been a natural winger, where he doesn't have to have spot-on positional play, & can use his speed to his advantage). Gasnier isn't proven as an all-time great centre yet, but neither has Lyon, so maybe i'd consider Sailor, Tuqiri or Tahu slotting in there? Or maybe Girdler, Tate or MacDougall? Help me out guys.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Lyon was awesome in every test he played, couldn't drop him for anyone.

Gasnier shouldn't be there if it's on test form (although that will likely change after the tri-nations) but you can't argue with his selection if it's just general form and not how they went in their game(s).

Wing doesn't deserve a spot either, give his spot to MacDougall/Sailor/Tuqiri.

perverse

Referee
i'm still of the opinion that simpson has more than earned a spot in that team.

tahu is the only winger between the 3 that are fighting for the spots that has played over the whole period, however if this is a non-issue it goes to sailor and sing hands down. i think gasnier and lyon are fine the way they are.

pretty happy with the team other than that, looks good.

Mr Saab

Referee
smpson has not done enough to push hindmarsh or tallis out of the 2nd row.
maybe a bench spot...

LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
At this stage it looks like:

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Anthony Minichiello
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Matt Sing
6. Brad Fittler
7. Andrew Johns
8. Shane Webcke
9. Danny Buderus
10. Steve Price
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Gordon Tallis
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Petero Civoneciva
15. Craig Fitzgibbon
16. Craig Wing
17. Mark O'Meley

18th Man: Willie Mason

Most tend to agree with the forwards & bench (ignore the Knight's fans), but the backs are still a little awkward when deciding. With Timana Tahu, Lote Tuqiri & Wendell Sailor competing for the winger spots taken by Matt Sing (sheer consistency over the past five years) & Anthony Minichiello (as much as he's a champion fullback, he has always been a natural winger, where he doesn't have to have spot-on positional play, & can use his speed to his advantage). Gasnier isn't proven as an all-time great centre yet, but neither has Lyon, so maybe i'd consider Sailor, Tuqiri or Tahu slotting in there? Help me out guys.

Sounds strange, but I'd have Nigel Vagana ahead of Gasnier (being form over the last 5 years, I've taken off my Red & White Glasses).

Swap Civoneciva for Ruben Wiki (as long as he's not suspended).

Swap Sing for Francis Meli (even though his form of late has been ordinary, he has been outstanding before 2005).

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
smpson has not done enough to push hindmarsh or tallis out of the 2nd row.
maybe a bench spot...
yeah i wasn't implying that he could take a spot off hindmarsh or tallis, however i think he's done more than enough to take fitzy's spot on the bench. trying to wade through my bias here, and i think you could probably call a dead heat between the 2 of them, as they're both class footballers that get their job done with extreme consistancy...

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
Swap Sing for Francis Meli (even though his form of late has been ordinary, he has been outstanding before 2005).

meli? he has only had 3 good yrs (2001-2-3) and then went waaaaaaay down hill after that....and i mean down hill.
Sing has been very consistent.

Charlie Saab said:
meli? he has only had 3 good yrs (2001-2-3) and then went waaaaaaay down hill after that....and i mean down hill.
Sing has been very consistent.

Yes, Meli. Those 3 years were great years, totally dominant. 2004 he was mid-range amongst wingers and has slipped this year.

But to me the thread is on the whole of 5 years. Sing has been consistent yes, but Meli was one of the most feared players over the last 5 as a whole & so I plumbed for him.

Also hesitant to put Wing in there, purely a utility selection, but would know who to replace him with. IF the side were to actually play sensibility would suggest he be there. If not, perhaps I'd give Simpson a run.

D

Deleted member 10972

Guys i said Australia team...as in not the NZ team but AUSTRALIA! Otherwise Vagana, Meli & Wiki would all get in.

Special K

Coach
If it is based on form in the green and gold then Kimmorley must rate a mention. Say what you want about him at club and origin - he doesn't f**k up against the poms...

RABK

Referee
People laughing at Simmo, every game he has played against Hindmarsh he was the better player. I remember one game in 2002 where Simmo busted through Hindmarsh twice, made 180 metres with Hindmarsh marking him. :LOL:

I know he came out on top when it mattered as well.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
1. Darren Lockyer
2. Anthony Minichiello
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Shaun Berrigan
5. Matt Sing
6. Brad Fittler
7. Andrew Johns
8. Shane Webcke
9. Danny Buderus
10. Steve Price
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Gordon Tallis
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Petero Civoneciva
15. Craig Fitzgibbon
16. Craig Wing
17. Mark O'Meley

Thats my team, i just think the Kangaroos need Shaun Berrigan there somewhere whether a bench spot or in the centres

Big Pete

Referee
Berrigan never performed that well in tests matches though.

Good NRL player, Average Rep Player.

perverse

Referee
Special K said:
If it is based on form in the green and gold then Kimmorley must rate a mention.
a mention is fine... hell i'll mention noddy all day, but i wont pick him over joey.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Big Pete said:
Berrigan never performed that well in tests matches though.

Good NRL player, Average Rep Player.

Well for the other centre spot u've got berrigan, tate, gaz, and gidley. Id pick berrigan over the other 3, and i also think bowman rates a mention

Red Bear

Referee
Shaun Berrigan? He's good but seriously? Girdlir should get the spot, he was a better centre than all before he retired.

D

Deleted member 10972

The Australian 17: 2000-2005

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Anthony Minichiello
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Ryan Girdler
5. Matt Sing
6. Brad Fittler (C)
7. Andrew Johns
8. Shane Webcke
9. Danny Buderus
10. Steve Price
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Gordon Tallis
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Craig Fitzgibbon
15. Craig Wing
16. Mark O'Meley
17. Petero Civoniceva

Reserves
: Forwards
(5): Willie Mason, Bryan Fletcher, Robbie Kearns/Jason Stevens/Luke Bailey (take your pick), Steve Simpson (underrated), Scott Hill (at lock); Backs (5): Timana Tahu, Lote Tuqiri, Shaun Berrigan, Wendell Sailor, Adam Macdougall; Halves (2): Trent Barrett, Craig Gower

Fibroman

First Grade
Has anyone considered putting Fittler at lock, the allow for Lockyer moving up to 5/8th and Minnicello at fullback. That way.......you could have Johns at first receiver and Lockyer 2nd receiver on one side of the ruck, and Fittler as first receiver on the other side. Move Kennedy up to the 2nd row and Hindmarsh back to the bench.

Gasnier on current for would have to be one of the centres. No other centre has really stood out above the pack the way he does at the moment.

Sailor would be one of the wingers.