What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean

Juniors
At the end of last years thrashing by the Roosters I promptly went into my room and ripped down the 2001 team poster. It was the poster which the telegraph put out the week before the grand final. It had been there ever since. Being the supersticious type I viewed the poster as a curse, always mocking me from above my bed.

Whenever I'd scroll across the players, who over the years left the club, the one player that stuck out the most was Buettner, basically because of his words to the fans after the grand final. 'We'll be back next year' or something to that effect.

It appeared that all Parra had to do to win the next premeirship was show up for each game, after all they were statistically one of the best teams ever in 2001. This is why the following years were so painful for Parra fans. We expected that the amazing form would continue.

Everyone knows that the exact opposite happened and Parra had to rebuild a new team. Now it's 2005 and Parra find themselves in 2nd position. Though and behold that number that fills me with dread has resurfaced again. 2001!!!!! Fans, journalists, and so called experts like Gus Gould have trotted out lines like 'Their finding their 2001 form'.

First of all I think it's absolute rubbish to suggest that Parra are anywhere near the form of 2001, but the main sticking point with me is that it's bringing back all the pressure and expectation that we all were consumed by after 2001.

Please, for the good of my mental health forget 2001. It was a great year but it ended horribly, and its ghost has haunted Parra ever since. Hopefully someone like Timmy Smith can help in ridding us (particularly me) of that ghost.

half

Coach
if we hit 2001 form with our current team, we would score approximately 1100 tries every week

bartman

Immortal
Hopefully those that went through the 2001/2 thing (Vella, Cayless, Wagon, Burt... Brian Smith) have now had to time to become mentally tougher, and more able to deal with the weight of media expectations.

If we continue on this course and maybe get to the grand final, then hopefully they (along with a guy like Tahu) can help the whole team and the newer guys to not get overawed on the day if something starts to go wrong. Our form may not be as good as that 2001 side now, but hopefully our resiliance is better.

Apart from the senior guys and Brian Smith learning from that experience, it's now pretty much old history given the changes in our squad since.

Latest posts