What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Amnrl

Tomahawk

Staff member
With teams starting their preseason workouts for the 2006 AMNRL season, whom do you guys like for winning the 2006 AMNRL Grand final? Remember there are four new teams coming into the competition this year. They would be Boston, Hartford, and White Plains in the North and Jacksonville in the south.

The Bulls will be strong once again this year. They will bring back just about everyone from last year. There are also three former college union players that will be joining the boys in black and gold this year. Also expect a surprise or two from the bulls.

BatiFan

Juniors
My hope is to see the Fight, Knights and Slayers all do well and have big years. If clubs are strong in Philly, NY and DC then rugby league in USA will be better for it. Also hoping to see the new Jacksonville side do well.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Tomahawk I knew Boston and Jacksonville have been in the works for a while but where did Hartford and White Plains come from?

Are they brand new teams or has one of the stronger clubs split to form two teams. If it is four brand new teams then finding all the new players has been a pretty decent effort.

hgfds

Juniors
Does that mean 3 teams in connecticut?for a small state looks like it is becoming the centre of rl in the usa.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Boston I think is going to be the big surprise. They are my wildcard pick. As for the teams in connecticut thos guys are just doing an outstanding job recruting.

gothecats

Juniors
White Plains will not be entering into the AMNRL this year. If they did, along with Hartford, there would be 4 teams based in Connecticut.

roopy

Referee
I think the Slayers might find a few players and have a good year.
One thing that hits me - it will make for a good All-Star game this year to have the Wildcats and the Bulls in different conferences.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Roopy;

From what I here the Slayers will have a few suprises. I have neen told Martin is going back this season, and there are going to be a few kiwi's playing with them. The southern devision will be alot stronger this year as al teams are getting better.

Loser

Juniors
The only 2 confirmed expansion teams are Jacksonville Axemen and Boston Wolfhounds
There is only talk coming at the moment for another team from CT(not 2). It would be the New Haven Warriors.(started up by Kiwis from the Raiders. hence the warriors) There is a bit of tension from the other 2 CT teams reguarding this sartup. There is a new foreign player rule brought in to limit the number of overseas recruits.
Other news
International Touring Teams:
Dates to be confirmed-
May/June - Great Britain Amateurs v USA Tomahawks (2 matches)
July 11, 15, 19 - Cambridge University, England v CT Allstars, USA U/23, Glen Mills
Sept/Oct - NZ Police v TBD
RLWC 2008:
Details were presented regarding the RLWC qualification process, that will include internationals this year against Japan, Sth Africa and West Indies

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Loser said:
Details were presented regarding the RLWC qualification process, that will include internationals this year against Japan, Sth Africa and West Indies

Can you elaborate on these details?

hgfds

Juniors
What are the major sporting teams in connecticut???do the sports fans there have any competitive outfits ??

lloydy

Juniors
Connecticut itself has no major professional sports teams. However in close proximity to CT, are the NY Yankees and Boston red Sox(baseball), the NY Giants and Jets, and the New England Patriots in gridiron. Also the University of Connecticut has a huge fan base for basketball and football.

Play some footy

Juniors
I like the idea of another team coming out of CT. It is very ambitious to say the least, but if all of the CT teams can field a full side week in and week out, then the more teams in the comp the better.

milton

Juniors
soon youll beable to have a feeder comp in CT for perhaps one big franchise with all the interest

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
milton said:
soon youll beable to have a feeder comp in CT for perhaps one big franchise with all the interest

That is a really important area where I think the US comp is lacking.

It is great to have a semi-national competition, and I have been very impressed by the great work that the AMNRL have been doing (e.g. growth, regular tours to Oz, reasonable communication etc.). However without a real junior structure or local club competitions to feed the AMNRL clubs, the standard will never be as high as it could otherwise be, and the sport will always be in a somewhat precarious position (lacking a degree of "grassroots" support and participation).

No doubt it is much easier said than done, but hopefully this area isn't being altogether neglected. I imagine it would be all too easy for clubs and the AMNRL administration to get totally focussed on the AMNRL comp, and lose sight of "the big picture" so to speak.

I think this is were the NNRLB's long-term strategy starting with the juniors has real merit. Hopefully, the iongoing development of the game in the US and elsewhere will see this type of ground-up approach taking hold as the administration of the game evolves further.

Latest posts