What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Amnrl

ali

Bench
Mr_Ugly said:
That is a really important area where I think the US comp is lacking.

It is great to have a semi-national competition, and I have been very impressed by the great work that the AMNRL have been doing (e.g. growth, regular tours to Oz, reasonable communication etc.). However without a real junior structure or local club competitions to feed the AMNRL clubs, the standard will never be as high as it could otherwise be, and the sport will always be in a somewhat precarious position (lacking a degree of "grassroots" support and participation).

No doubt it is much easier said than done, but hopefully this area isn't being altogether neglected. I imagine it would be all too easy for clubs and the AMNRL administration to get totally focussed on the AMNRL comp, and lose sight of "the big picture" so to speak.

I think this is were the NNRLB's long-term strategy starting with the juniors has real merit. Hopefully, the iongoing development of the game in the US and elsewhere will see this type of ground-up approach taking hold as the administration of the game evolves further.

Importantly if you have 2,3, or 4 clubs in Conneticut, then junior development is a decent chance of taking off. Why, because they wont have to travel far to take on another team.

Play some footy

Juniors
The idea of Jr leagues and High School teams are already being implemented. Thing that is lacking are volunteers to give there time and effort in helping to establish these leagues and clinics. But, in the areas where there is adequate support, you see young kids learning how to play footy.

Remember - there is no mondy involved in AMerican footy/ The only way this thing is going to take off is having a great deal of support and people raising there to hand to dedicate themselves for the cause.

So far there aren't many the hand raisers.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
That's good news. I was aware that there had been school visits, skills clinics and after school activities, but was unaware that there were actually junior competitions in place.

I suppose resourcing is always going to be an issue, particularly in a developing territory (I live in Australia, and even here the ARL have made a conscious decision not to spend ANY resources in the state where I live). I think it is important however that a reasonable proportion of the limited resources that are available go towards junior development, which is really an investment in the future of the sport.

yankeerugger

Juniors
As a former RU player, youth coach, and youth administrator, and fan of both codes, I would think that RL would be an easier sell to the youth of the states.

Kids are used to "4 downs" already! Having tried to recruite players for my RU club, I always had more luck explaining RL rules and stratagies to americans then RU rules.... rucks, mauls, line outs, scrums.... all foreign consepts to Americans. Rugby league would be MUCH easier for an outsider not born into the sport to pick up quickly.

Latest posts