What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Draw

Jeffles

Bench
http://www.nrl.com/pdf/2006nrldraw.pdf

Hello Guys

The 2006 NRL draw is out. While the NSWRL draw probably won't be released until January of February, the NRL draw usually gives a good indication of who the Jets will play. It certainly did last year.

Given that, here is the Sydney Roosters draw for 2006.

Round Home Team Visiting Team

1 Rabbitohs v Roosters
2 Roosters v Storm
3 Roosters v Raiders
4 Sea Eagles v Roosters
5 Sharks v Roosters
6 Roosters v Broncos
7 Dragons v Roosters
8 Cowboys v Roosters
9 Roosters v Bulldogs
10 BYE v Roosters
11 Roosters v Rabbitohs
12 Eels v Roosters
13 Storm v Roosters
14 Roosters v Warriors
15 Tigers v Roosters
16 Raiders v Roosters
17 BYE v Roosters
18 Roosters v Sea Eagles
19 Roosters v Sharks
20 Bulldogs v Roosters
21 Roosters v Cowboys
22 Roosters v Knights
23 Panthers v Roosters
24 Roosters v Eels
25 Warriors v Roosters
26 Roosters v Dragons

-----

Given that these could be the highlights of the 2006 Newtown Jets draw.

* Frank Hyde Shield (Newtown v Norths) in Round 2 and Round 13.
* Newtown away to Souths in Round 1.
* Reunion Day in Round 26 v St George Illawarra.
* Round 24 v Parramatta (25 years after THAT Grand Final)
* Newtown welcome the back to Henson Park in Round 19 (playing them at Woolooware in Round 5).

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL VB PREMIER LEAGUE DRAW. IT IS JUST A HYPOTHESIS.

girvie

Staff member
Jeffles said:
the highlights of the 2006 Newtown Jets draw.
* Frank Hyde Shield (Newtown v Norths) in Round 2 and Round 13.
They will be good matches. Who from this message board will be coming to North Sydney Oval this year? I will.

Is there going to be a trial again between Newtown and Norths this year? Will it be held at Henson? Does anyone know the date yet?

Are Newtown having some of their matches at the SFS in 2006 like they did in 2005 having 1 or two at Shark Park?

I'm sure Frank Hyde would prefer it if the Newtown vs Norths match was scheduled for Henson rather than the SFS.

Jeffles

Bench
I cannot remember the trial dates. Not all our trials have been confirmed but I think Newtown will be playing Norths at Henson Park. Of course with two home games first up I think Round 13 could be the dead rubber.

A lot of newtown fans go to NSO when the Jets play where they would normally not go to other matches. They like the contest.

girvie

Staff member
Jeffles said:
Of course with two home games first up I think Round 13 could be the dead rubber.
Yeah it will be good for the Bears to win 3-nil in front of a local crowd. ;-)

Do you know if the trial will definitely count towards the Shield? I would prefer it to be a two match series. It's a bit unfair that Newtown get two home matches. I've let the Bears know how i feel.

Jeffles said:
A lot of newtown fans go to NSO when the Jets play where they would normally not go to other matches. They like the contest.
It's good that they come to watch Bears vs Jets. I always look forward to the matches against the traditional sides. I watched four Premier League games at Henson Park this year (including the trial).

girvie

Staff member
Jeffles said:
Norths in past years have been happy to have the trial count towards the Shield.
I can't understand why they would be happy with it and i hope they ask for it to change. Most teams use trials to work out team selections for when the competition rounds start. Often winning is not the most important part of the day. In the trial this year the Bears used 33 players. Plus the Bears had no Storm players yet Newtown had their Cronulla players. If the aim isn't to win then they shouldn't be happy for it to count towards the shield.

Newtown cheated in 1943 and are still cheating today in the Frank Hyde Shield. :sto:

bluebag43

Juniors
Girvie, I will be coming to Nth Sydney Oval as I have done for the last couple of years. I would certainly like to meet you, a man with so much passion for your Club. BUT I must say I will be discussing the 1943 GF with you and your reasons for accusing us of cheating. I guess it will be around the theory of Newtown organising the MP's to pick up Harry Taylor on way into the SCG. I must add that in reading your clubs history book it was stated that he was already in a training camp in Brisbane on his way to New Guinea!

girvie

Staff member
bluebag43 said:
Girvie, I will be coming to Nth Sydney Oval as I have done for the last couple of years. I would certainly like to meet you, a man with so much passion for your Club. BUT I must say I will be discussing the 1943 GF with you and your reasons for accusing us of cheating. I guess it will be around the theory of Newtown organising the MP's to pick up Harry Taylor on way into the SCG. I must add that in reading your clubs history book it was stated that he was already in a training camp in Brisbane on his way to New Guinea!
Harry Taylor applied for leave from the Army. A Newtown official with contacts in the army arranged for his leave to be disallowed.

North Sydney meant so much to him that he went AWOL to play in the match. At the ground the Newtown officials set him up and he was arrested by military police at the dressing room door.

Is it a coincidence that Newtown were able to keep all their military players?

Also, during the game Newtown illegally took out Frank Hyde in the first half and he could take no further part in the match. Newtown never had intentions to play the game fairly.

North Sydney were clearly better than Newtown that year. The Bears won both previous games.

I think it's time that Newtown right the wrongs of 1943 by issuing an apology to the North Sydney Club, their players and supporters, and the game of rugby league. It's never too late to admit what you did was wrong.

bluebag43

Juniors
Your surely taking the p*ss. I have also spoken to Frank Hyde and he told me Harry wasn't there. It is true that Newtown took Frank out as Frank himself told me that. BUT that's what Grand Finals were about and unfortunately for Norths and yourself you still don't get it and that's why you lost!

Do you think Newtown lost the Grand Final in 1955 12-11 in the last few minutes against Souths fair and square after being the best side all year! NO, but unfortunately that's football. It hurts like hell I know but I'm not going to accuse Souths of cheating!

girvie

Staff member
bluebag43 said:
Your surely taking the p*ss. I have also spoken to Frank Hyde and he told me Harry wasn't there. It is true that Newtown took Frank out as Frank himself told me that. BUT that what Grand Finals were about and unfortunately for Norths and yourself you still don't get it and that's why you lost!

Do you think Newtown lost the Grand Final in 1955 12-11 in the last few minutes against Souths fair and square after being the best side all year! NO, but unfortunately that's football. It hurts like hell I know but I'm not going to accuse Souths of cheating!
I believe Frank Hyde has also said that North Sydney are his favourite club.

You say that Grand Finals were all about cheating. North Sydney were not prepared to cheat to win a Grand Final like Newtown were. The Bears have always done the right thing.

I don't know about the 1955 Grand final. I would say that Newtown had more of a track record for cheating than Souths. Newtown probably cheated and still lost. That would be karma from 1943.

bluebag43

Juniors
Oh well Girvie, that's your opinion and I respect that! However, I suggest you check your facts with Andrew Moore who wrote the book on your Club's great and unique history. No matter what you say I still love the Big Black Bears! Of course not as much as the Baggies!

girvie

Staff member
TheRefPlaysForParramatta said:
how many grand finals were north sydney in since 1943?
I think the Bears won 6 premierships in that time. They may have been in other grandfinals which they lost, i'm not sure.