What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep, that's well documented in the previous 5 or 6 posts ;-)

Timmah

Staff member
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
IMO the rain kept away 12K from both the anzac match, and the dogs game.

Was reasonably clear until just before kickoff tbh.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Dogs fans as usual, abit of bad weather and there non existant, just like pre 2001. There fan base is such a myth and only second to Roosters tbh.

Tigers done great to have as many supporters there tonight as they did considering there season thus far aswell as bad weather may have detered them from coming from the western suburbs

mattyg

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
Dogs fans as usual, abit of bad weather and there non existant, just like pre 2001. There fan base is such a myth and only second to Roosters tbh.

Tigers done great to have as many supporters there tonight as they did considering there season thus far aswell as bad weather may have detered them from coming from the western suburbs

And as for the 34,000 that went to the good friday game between souths and the dogs?? There was plenty of rain falling then, and at least 20,000 of the crowd wore blue and white.

Guess that doesn't fit with your claim though hey?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mattyg said:
And as for the 34,000 that went to the good friday game between souths and the dogs?? There was plenty of rain falling then, and at least 20,000 of the crowd wore blue and white.

Guess that doesn't fit with your claim though hey?

No it doesn't. You didn't take into account that probably 10,000 were Souths supporters, 15,000 were Cantebury and 10,000 neutrals, aswell as free tickets from the Easter show. And also, let's not forget the advertising for that game, Easter Monday games should always do well, espically if incentives are provided.

A Cronulla vs Saints woulod've got the same crowds in the same situation

Ron Jeremy

Coach
When Manly get 16,000 to a game involving a team that has only played 5 games you know 18,000 is very disapointing, considering it was a local derby in ways.

mattyg

Bench
yeah i know it was dissapointing, i've said it ever since i kick off...i thought there shoulda been 25k there in poor conditions, and up to 35k in good conditions. But what can you do?? I was there, I played my part...and i'm sure we'll be back over 20k later in the year.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mattyg said:
yeah i know it was dissapointing, i've said it ever since i kick off...i thought there shoulda been 25k there in poor conditions, and up to 35k in good conditions. But what can you do?? I was there, I played my part...and i'm sure we'll be back over 20k later in the year.

Fair enough, the problem is that Cantebury will support a side when they're playing well, have a full side and good conditions, when one of those elements isn't there they go missing.

With a side Cantebury have, and the results throught 2000, they should be getting 20,000 every week. They had a good win last week, Telstra is very much undercovered.

fanatique

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:

That is such an easy criticism to make. The fact is that the Dogs have attracyted more people to home and away games this decade than any other Sydney club. That is a fact not an opinion.

Let's be honest ALL RL attendances suffer when weather or anything else is not just right. 18,000 is a respectable crowd and the Dobs will go on to average 18 to 20,000 at home as they usually do and that is more than can be said for most other Sydney clubs. If the Dogs fanbase is a myth then I don't know what to say about the rest of the Sydney clubs.

That said this round so far has been bvery disappointing. The GF replay should have got 40,000. The 2 Sydney games awer about 6,000 off what they should have got. Let's hope the Bunnies actually come out as I'm hoping they do.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
fanatique said:
That is such an easy criticism to make. The fact is that the Dogs have attracyted more people to home and away games this decade than any other Sydney club. That is a fact not an opinion.

Let's be honest ALL RL attendances suffer when weather or anything else is not just right. 18,000 is a respectable crowd and the Dobs will go on to average 18 to 20,000 at home as they usually do and that is more than can be said for most other Sydney clubs. If the Dogs fanbase is a myth then I don't know what to say about the rest of the Sydney clubs.

That said this round so far has been bvery disappointing. The GF replay should have got 40,000. The 2 Sydney games awer about 6,000 off what they should have got. Let's hope the Bunnies actually come out as I'm hoping they do.

Really? how many times did they do that before 2001? actually how many times have they done it at all?

It's a myth, prior 2001 their crowds were average.

Anyway so they should. Cantebury are the most succesful Sydney club of the past 10 years along with the Roosters. They have the most marketable players in the game, and are always highly publicised in the media. What other Sydney club gets the amount of coverage Cantebury get?

mattyg

Bench
we may get heaps of coverage but 99% of it is negative. Everyone hates us apart for Bulldogs supporters. You don't get many neutral supporters at the games. That being said, there shoulda been more than 18k there tonight. All i can do is to point out our 2005 figures where despite shocking form we still drew some big crowds.

Eels are just as much a myth as you say we are. As soon as the chips are down for the Eels the sub 10k crowds come back. When Eels hit some kind of form they are back up to 18-20k. It is the nature of the game...you'll have your 6-10k passionate supporters who will go to anything no matter how bad the team is going, and the other ones who are more likely to come if the team is playing well. Nobody wants to fork out good money to watch your team get smashed every week.

In saying that, there is no excuse for tonights crowd. Shoulda been 25k in wet weather but it wasn't. That being said, we can move on to next week now...nothing we can do about 18k last night now is there...

fanatique

Juniors
Ron whatever about pre 2000 since then the Dogs have been the biggest club in Sydney. I'm not a Dog. I'm a Rooster but I can accept the evidence that they are the biggest draw in sydney in recent years. High profile? Yes. Success? Reasonalbly so but fact is that in recent years they are the biggest draw.

matty is right. most clubs are operating off about 8 to 10,000 core support. The Eels were down to 10K against the raiders, Easts will see their average fall, the Dragon army was down to a platoon of 9,000 against Melbourne. We simply don't draw huge crowds except in unusual circumstances adn the Dogs average at home after 3 games is 17,650 which would be jumped at by most clubs.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
fanatique said:
Ron whatever about pre 2000 since then the Dogs have been the biggest club in Sydney. I'm not a Dog. I'm a Rooster but I can accept the evidence that they are the biggest draw in sydney in recent years. High profile? Yes. Success? Reasonalbly so but fact is that in recent years they are the biggest draw.

matty is right. most clubs are operating off about 8 to 10,000 core support. The Eels were down to 10K against the raiders, Easts will see their average fall, the Dragon army was down to a platoon of 9,000 against Melbourne. We simply don't draw huge crowds except in unusual circumstances adn the Dogs average at home after 3 games is 17,650 which would be jumped at by most clubs.

You're clutching at straws when you use that comparison. Parramatta stadium has 7500 undercover seating, did you actually watch that game? it was a horrible night of wet weather, 10,000 for a team that was struggling against a side who never brings many supporters was actually fantastic. The difference between parra and Telstra is Telstra has significant undercover seating, so there is always avaliable seating out of the rain.

17650 had alot to with Easter Monday, just like the Roosters rely heavily in the past of the Anzac day crowds to boost there overall crowd average. As i said previously if say a Cronulla vs St George game took place at the same venue same time they'd too get pretty much the same crowd if not more.

Since 2002 Cantebury has been the best drawing club in Syd, but you'd be blind to think it was that Cantebury fans just woke up all at once and decided to start watching the game. The results since 2002 have led them to achieveing these crowds, add to that the likes of SBW & Mason aswell as a stadium that is a terrific all weather stadium and naturally you'll get good crowds. you have anyother Sydney team in the same boat and you'll get similar crowds.

Lets wait to they start struggling consistently and come back to this thread;-) just like pre 2001

Ron Jeremy

Coach
fanatique said:

they should've won the comp in 2002, done it in 2004 and blew it in 2006. Apart from the Roosters, who else has had the same results as Cantebury in Sydney?

Timmah

Staff member
Saints have been there every year haven't they? But it's well documented their home support is a myth.

Timmah

Staff member
BTW - Telstra, the first 15-16 rows at least are in the rain - up to 20-25 at the southern and northern ends. Take into account that the nosebleed sections aren't open for club games and your claim of an "all-weather stadium" isn't all that strong.

mattyg

Bench
15-16 rows Dodge?? mate at least 30 rows are out in the open. Add to that the fact that the entire east and west rows between 30-50 is corporate boxes between the 20m lines and you have it. Probably only 10,000 seats available are undercover at Telstra as well.

In the semi against Canberra last year i was sitting in about the 35th row in the western stand and i was getting soaked.