What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Higher School Certificate

Bumble

First Grade
Stranger, you are right on the money. I've dropped 6 marks in total from all the assessments we've done so far, and I'm ranked 16th! Modern is crazily top-heavy at my school but apparently we are right at the top for it.

Locky_Jr said:
4 exams in the one week, sh*t!!!

best case for me is media and communications in Sydney (98), you should look into that one, the course is amazing, it pretty much guarantees you a job in the industry and you can get in on flexible entry

Mm...it will be a rough week.

Anyway...I won't get 98, I don't want to go to Sydney and UTS is the best in the country for Media related courses.

Eelementary said:
Colleges>school.

:?

Hard workers > Rich kids

Eelementary

Post Whore
I didn't phrase it right.

What I mean is that university isn't the only way to get a great job - TAFE and colleges also offer a great variety of appealing career choices, and they do not always rely strictly on you getting a UAI of 100.

So...

Hutty1986

Immortal
Sh*t Bumble, 95 for a straight journalism course? That seems bloody high.

My UAI for Sports Journalism at UC was 84 I think

Eelementary

Post Whore
Kids - just because it seems that a certain degree or place "practically guarantees you a job in the industry", doesn't mean you'll get one. I hope you realise that, and make back-up plans.

Bumble

First Grade
Fair call Eel, that makes alot more sense. And yes, I'm very aware that no particular course in any university will guarentee you anything. It's going to be a long hard slog.

Hutty1986 said:
Sh*t Bumble, 95 for a straight journalism course? That seems bloody high.

My UAI for Sports Journalism at UC was 84 I think

Mmm if I could stand living in Canberra...Sports Journalism is now something like 72. :shock:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Great attitude. I mean, you young 'uns will find out for yourselves - there are no "guarantees", but there are such things as "fast-tracking" your way there.

TooheysNew

Coach
Mr Angry said:
Thankyou.
Just my thoughts...

I did both SDD (Software Design and Development) and IPT (Information Proccesses and Technology).

IPT was very basic. Learning how to use Microsoft Office, Ethics etc. Anybody who has had 5 minutes experience with a computer could ace the course.

SDD was valuable to me. While it was still basic, it was helpful for me because it did teach aspects of project management, working within time constraints, properly documenting source code and stuff like that. I still refer to my text from time to time because it actually does address issues that are applicable to the actual world, as opposed to a classroom.

Not enough focus on programming itself, however with such a wide range of abilities within the room that was to be expected.

My major assignment in year 11 was actually my first project I did when I started my business, so it was a useful step there as well.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's the end of your world as you know it :sarcasm:

I did both SDD and IPT but dropped SDD at the end of year 11. IPT was very basic, almost like Computer Studies in Yrs 9&10. Some who did the Voc Ed course "IT" said that was like being babied.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Stranger said:
f**king oath.

I have a mate who got a Star, and well lets just say hes f**ked.

Seriously, f**k this up and you will be washing cars for the rest of your life.
Couldn't disagree more. I went through the motions for my HSC year, hell I f**ked around for 75% of years 11 and 12. I got a disgraceful UAI, went to TAFE, went a lot better in TAFE, got a years credit on my uni course I'm doing now and instead of it being a 3 year course, its obviously a 2 year course.

But yeah, if you f**k up your HSC, you're a nobody :sarcasm:

Stonecutter

First Grade
Dodger said:
It's the end of your world as you know it :sarcasm:

I did both SDD and IPT but dropped SDD at the end of year 11. IPT was very basic, almost like Computer Studies in Yrs 9&10. Some who did the Voc Ed course "IT" said that was like being babied.

Computer studies YR 9/10 was extremely basic and anbody could do it sleeping. Does IPT scale well for a UAI?? I was told it doesn't so I didn't choose it.

Stranger

Coach
Poffosbiggestfan said:
Couldn't disagree more. I went through the motions for my HSC year, hell I f**ked around for 75% of years 11 and 12. I got a disgraceful UAI, went to TAFE, went a lot better in TAFE, got a years credit on my uni course I'm doing now and instead of it being a 3 year course, its obviously a 2 year course.

But yeah, if you f**k up your HSC, you're a nobody :sarcasm:
#-o #-o #-o:lol:

Hallatia

Referee
Dodger said:
Some who did the Voc Ed course "IT" said that was like being babied.
I guess that depends on whether you have a teacher or not, I do it through correspondence and whilst most of the course work is really easy, there are somethings which would be better with someone teaching you and the assessment tasks are so stupid, they expect you to have access to all sorts of crazy things,