What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Higher School Certificate

sportive cupid

Referee
The PhD requires that you contribute some original work to your field of endeavour (ie you cannot be awarded the doctorate through coursework) - how can that be a joke?

Also I hear alot in this thread about study and working as if they are part of a linear life process. Education is definitely a life long pursuit -hence the large group of mature people at universities.

Martli

Coach
The PhD requires that you contribute some original work to your field of endeavour (ie you cannot be awarded the doctorate through coursework) - how can that be a joke?

I don't think he's talking about PhDs in general, I think he's more getting at the fact that philosophy is so detached from reality that it's only really useful in it's own discipline. Sure it's interesting, fun, and a great way to enhance your critical thinking and your knowledge of logic, but there's no real practical application for a philosopher, other than to argue with other philosophers about philosophy. The average Joe doesn't really benefit from the theories of Nietzsche, Aristotle whatever, they serve largely for intellectual masturbation.

"The philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all" - Death - The Philosopher

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Just completed my UAC application for UNI entry next year! woo and only 17 days of school forever.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't think he's talking about PhDs in general, I think he's more getting at the fact that philosophy is so detached from reality that it's only really useful in it's own discipline. Sure it's interesting, fun, and a great way to enhance your critical thinking and your knowledge of logic, but there's no real practical application for a philosopher, other than to argue with other philosophers about philosophy. The average Joe doesn't really benefit from the theories of Nietzsche, Aristotle whatever, they serve largely for intellectual masturbation.

"The philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all" - Death - The Philosopher

Bingo. The moment you get a professor in literature saying he' a doctor I lose interest in whatever they have to say.

t-ba

Post Whore
garrr i need to do this to transfer courses
when's the deadline?

I applied on the 20th of December if Memory serves the first time I went to Uni. You just get a massive arse late fee. As a non HSC finisher, you're going to get charged anyway. I wasn't particularly dedicated...

Apey

Staff member
Final Rankings;

1st in Ext2 Maths
1st in Ext1 Maths
2nd in Advanced English (by half a mark, wtf..)
3rd in IPT
4th in Ancient History

Bring on zee HSC.

strewth_mate

Bench
The doctorate as an academic qualification is unlucky to be tied up with the term used for physicians. People with a PhD are somewhat dismissed partly because they're not 'proper doctors', but it's just a confusion in terms.

Don't know how it works for something like philosophy, literature, art history and all those, but say I complete mine in medical research - it involves conducting and publishing original research, etc etc, but in the end it mostly counts as basically a qualification for jobs. In this field it doesn't seem to involve pretense or ego, you just need the piece of paper to progress in the career, as opposed to what is more an optional endeavour in other fields.

That said, getting a PhD for defining, I dunno, the mathematical basis of the Kama Sutra, would help in securing an academic appointment at a particular institution, so it could benefit the individual. Pisses me off though to see the 'I'm a doctor' line trotted out like it's a substitute for common sense.

Strange system anyway - the awarding of a PhD is increasingly common, with the value and significance of it seemingly changing, so it's almost like getting your RSA or driver's license and less like setting yourself apart as a recognised expert in your field (have to wonder what the implications are for academia - a world full of educated derelicts). But then again, an RSA has no real practical application outside its field either...

strewth_mate

Bench
For interest's sake - remember being told before that physicians in Australia aren't technically 'proper doctors', and that the term is more loosely (traditionally?) applied when compared to American medical graduates. This might be along those lines:

Wikipedia said:
In the United Kingdon and many Commonwealth countries, those training for the medical profession take a five or six year course leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS and other abbreviations).

The higher postgraduate degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) is reserved for those who can prove a particular distinction on the field, usually through a body of published work or the submission of a dissertation. In guidance issued by Who's Who publisher A & C Black, it is noted that in the context of the United Kingdom, "not all qualified medical [practitioners] hold the [MD] degree" but that "those ... who have not taken [it] are addressed as if they had."

We were jokingly told that someone with a PhD in ancient history is technically more of a doctor than someone with a Bachelor of Medicine. Of course it's overly pedantic to the point of irrelevance, but it was interesting at the time seeing the faces of the Medicine students.

Martli

Coach
We were jokingly told that someone with a PhD in ancient history is technically more of a doctor than someone with a Bachelor of Medicine. Of course it's overly pedantic to the point of irrelevance, but it was interesting at the time seeing the faces of the Medicine students.

I think in NZ GPs do a post-grad diploma, or something along the lines of that, to become qualified. It's an annoying double meaning.

Apey

Staff member
I'd be happy with anything in the 80s. I don't go to a selective school or anything so the rankings may be a tad bit misleading.

Haven't even started revising yet and it's in 18 days :crazy:

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Either have i, been caught up in the euphoria of holidays and i did pretty well ranking wise, in all my subjects. Everything was top 5 besides maths i got 22nd

sportive cupid

Referee
I'd be happy with anything in the 80s. I don't go to a selective school or anything so the rankings may be a tad bit misleading.

Haven't even started revising yet and it's in 18 days :crazy:
Still sounds pretty good to me!
keep it up.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Apey, its actually advantageous to not go to a selective school if you get those rankings. Selective school rankings come in handy from the 10-50 rankings, if your less than 50 in a selective school your f**ked (like me for one of my subs last year), but yeah high rankings at a comprehensive is = 10-50 selective school... system wise, not standard wise.)