What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Higher School Certificate

Stonecutter

First Grade
Standard or Advanced? I thought the Standard one was alright, Module A was always my strong point, Module B suited the text beautifully, and Module C I kinda screwed up but I got a lot down so I should go ok. I reckon 17, 17, 13.

Legal Friday, Maths Monday and Wednesday then nothing until Chem on the 6th.

Advanced.

I almost did standard but advanced scales alot better and you still do the same exam in paper 1 and i've been going pretty good in English (18/66) so I kept it.

Stonecutter

First Grade
thank f*ck english is over..pain in the arse,

i butchered the essay on institutions, bloody 2 toyocs plus text
i nailed the shoe horn sonata essay, no toyocs
i did alright in the bush tucker man essay, 1 toyoc

3 down 4 to go

maths on thursday
economics on tuesday week (will be the hardest exam ever)
IPT on thursday week
religion 1 unit on friday week

then im done for ever

Do you go to a catholic school as well? I did catholic studies because I suck at religion and it doesn't go towards my UAI :D.

Advanced.

I almost did standard but advanced scales alot better and you still do the same exam in paper 1 and i've been going pretty good in English (18/66) so I kept it.

I was going to do Advanced but they said in Standard you don't study Shakespeare so I thought that was the way to go as English was always my weakest subject. Did great in it 2/66, though that being said, about half them don't care, and there is also no-hopers there.

flamin

Juniors
i did IJ as well (last year), Kubla was one awesome poem for it in terms of quotes... how did you go about writing the essay? What was your other text + booklet + own text?
We don't have a booklet (I don't know when they stopped making that compulsory). I did Lime, and the related texts I used in the essay were Palahniuk's Fight Club and a picture book called The Red Tree.

I began by linking Lime and my related texts by talking about how they present characters struggling to deal with some aspect of their lives, and they use the imaginative journey as a means of escape, or to better understand their world and made links to the question.

Then I talked about Kubla and how the IJ leads to greater understadings of the power of creation, its dangers and the power of the poet as a portrayer of it. I made links to Fight Club, as through the IJ the narrator gains greater understanding into his own destructive power.

And then I linked Red Tree and Lime as both express how the IJ leads to enhanced perception of ones own place in the world etc.

And made links to my thesis at the end of every paragraph. Didn't finish though. :(

Today was alright. The questions were easy but I didnt really talk about my best stuff. Hopefully I scrape into a band 6.

Stonecutter

First Grade
That was the same with me, english was always my weakest subject but I chose advanced so that I could just drop to standard if need be. I actually put effort in this year though and I found it fairly easy and not as time consuming as I thought it would be.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
English is a f**king joke, glad that sh*t is over.

I'm expecting to not pass unfortunately but to do better than what I did in the trials.

WTF was up with the 2nd and 3rd questions ffs?

I'm expecting to not pass unfortunately but to do better than what I did in the trials.

agree 100%, it's hardly your own views on a text when you are given techniques and garbage and told what they actually mean. For me, question 3 was an annoying question, and question 2 fitted in perfectly well with the text I studied.

Stonecutter

First Grade
I thought they all suited my texts in that I didn't have to change my practice essays that I semi remembered much. BTW I did Emma + Cluless for 1, Gwen Harwood poems for 2, Frontline for 3.

I'm happy they didn't do any specific text types like an article or interview.

I thought they all suited my texts in that I didn't have to change my practice essays that I semi remembered much. BTW I did Emma + Cluless for 1, Gwen Harwood poems for 2, Frontline for 3.

my mates in advanced deemed Emma (I think Clueless as well) as unreadable, and if you don't use a summary book for it, you've got no hope. Would that be true.

flamin

Juniors

Yep it could have been so much harder. I really thought today would be my hardest exam.

I was doing In the wild, speeches and powerplay.

The_Mo

Juniors
Hey guys, I'm coming in a bit late, but just so f**kin' glad to never have to do English again in my life. Worst part of HSC's out of the way I reckon.

Surprised you's found paper 1 so easy, I was really hit by the whole human spirit thing, I didn't end up defining it in the essay.

Modules was not so bad, but I think I stuffed A by not referring to the question so much (Transformations, Hamlet), and C, I don't know what the 'complexities of powerplay' really referred to (1984 for this one). B was really standard though, quite ok (Speeches for me).

Time to prepare for 4U maths now...

Apey

Staff member
Emma is terrible. I never read it fully (read about 22 chapters of 50 odd) and got 8.5/10 and 7/10 for the two assessable essays I did on it though, so I'm not complaining.

Anyway, it's all smouldering ashes now :D

Yeah bring on 4 Unit Maths. I just hope I pass unlike the trial..

God-King Dean

Immortal
Only class I miss from highschool is english. Wish I gave my full attention to it instead of getting an erection sitting next to the girl chick.

All my mates except one are in my English class. It's kind of ironic but we have a very young teacher, and the only one of the guys who isn't in the class is the one who finds her highly attractive.

Vossy

Bench
my fireplace is going to get a work out come November 1st :)

ECO is going to be the hardest exam out..not good when the economy is up sh!t creek...IPT is cool, NO ESSAY YAY!, maths is ok, religion is a pain

Maths - Monday
Eco - Tuesday
IPT - Thursday
SOR 2unit - Friday

We'll have a LU party to celebrate after SOR.... lol

and ARRGHHH how'd I miss out on sub-plot :(

woop woop 1 and a half hours of BS then im done and ill rip my question booklet up to celebrate (seen as we can take our question book with us)

Do you go to a catholic school as well? I did catholic studies because I suck at religion and it doesn't go towards my UAI :D.

unfortunately yes i do, *yawn*, i wish i did take catholic studies but due to units being screwed in yr 11 i could only fit 2 unit religion in..dropped down to 1 unit for yr 12 ( 2 unit was pain, 1 unit was a b!tch, i swear the teacher was the devils offspring and the RE coordinator is the devil who had it in for me :crazy:)

cant remember what the questions were but the shoe horn sonata question (section 2 i think) was easy as, even better with no toyoc. the institutions and the individual experience was utter rubbish and telling stories (bush tucker man) was 'meh'

Only class I miss from highschool is english. Wish I gave my full attention to it instead of getting an erection sitting next to the girl chick.

:) i know that exact feeling, just not in english...

Stonecutter

First Grade
my mates in advanced deemed Emma (I think Clueless as well) as unreadable, and if you don't use a summary book for it, you've got no hope. Would that be true.

I didn't read Emma. I just used my sisters old excel text book and the little summary book, the million handouts from other text books from the teach and past essays to write a practice one. Clueless was easy, mis-en-scene and you just compare it with Emma.

Stonecutter

First Grade
unfortunately yes i do, *yawn*, i wish i did take catholic studies but due to units being screwed in yr 11 i could only fit 2 unit religion in..dropped down to 1 unit for yr 12 ( 2 unit was pain, 1 unit was a b!tch, i swear the teacher was the devils offspring and the RE coordinator is the devil who had it in for me :crazy:)

Do you do mathematics 2 unit? I got 55 in the catholic trials and i just flicked through it with the answer sheets and man it was really hard. I sure as hell hope the actual HSC exam isn't that hard, but judging from excel past papers it's more straight to the course and topic.

I reckon 60% of the 45 people in my school that do mathematics failed. My sister got 47 in 2004 and got an exam HSC mark of 75.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Topic tests are easy to get 80-90% in, but then the trials and half yearly exams I got 60 and 55 :(. Which was pretty good compared to the others though.