What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Higher School Certificate

I topped my grade for 2 unit (33 people), in our trial I got 88%, (105/120) which was 3-4 marks ahead of the next highest. When I do past papers I'm generally getting around 110 raw, so I really hope I can get a high mark for that one. We never do topic tests, we had an assessment at the end of each term (half yearly and trial included), I topped the last 2, and came top 5 in the other 2. It will be the only exam I walk into with a lot of confidence, the others I generally build up during reading time.

Apey

Staff member
Topic tests are easy to get 80-90% in, but then the trials and half yearly exams I got 60 and 55 :(. Which was pretty good compared to the others though.

Mine was the half yearly ;-)

I'm just bragging cause I need some confidence for next week :lol:

Stonecutter

First Grade
I haven't done any maths past papers bar the excel ones which don't give a marking guide because I've been studying for Bio.

The good news is that our marks will get scaled up considering everyone in Mathematics not includng extension 1 went crap in our trials.

I was 17th out of 45 at the half yearly, but in our integration topic test I missed half the paper because i was just one sheet and I didn't turn it over thinking that was it and failed lol so now i'm 24th.

Any of you guys get early entry? I got unconditional into environmental science at Wollongong uni (85 UAI), and just got a letter back from civil engineering which I really don't want to do but I got provisional into that where i need a 76 UAI which is only 73 with the extra 3 points from going to a local school. Takes alot of pressure of the HSC and i've been bludging......alot :p.

Apey

Staff member
The course I have applied for (Bachelor of Maths/Science) requires a 87.4 or so UAI but found out I get a bonus 8 points - 4 for local university and 4 for doing maths extension 2. Unfortunately, this has made me slack off a fair bit thinking it's all fine and dandy when realistically I probably need to do a fair bit of work to get ~ 80 still.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The following texts can go f**k themselves

Rabbit Proof Fence - Peter Noyce
Green St Hooligans - Lexi Alexander
Bora Ring - Judith Wright
Educating Rita - Willy Russell
The Tracker - Rolf de Heer
The Last Laugh - Wilfred Owen
Dulce et Decorum est - Wilfred Owen
Anthem for Doomed Youth - Wilfred Owen
The Drover's Wife - Henry Lawson
The Chosen Vessell - Barbarra Baynton
Wild Cat Falling - Colin Johnson

:D

Bring on Maths!

Stonecutter

First Grade
The course I have applied for (Bachelor of Maths/Science) requires a 87.4 or so UAI but found out I get a bonus 8 points - 4 for local university and 4 for doing maths extension 2. Unfortunately, this has made me slack off a fair bit thinking it's all fine and dandy when realistically I probably need to do a fair bit of work to get ~ 80 still.

Yeah we get 3 bonus points, and for most courses you bonus points for bands 5 and 6. e.g for Environmental science if I got band 5's in Maths, Chem, Bio and Geography that's 4 bonus points, and a band six in any is an extra point or extra 4 if if I get all band 6's which wan't happen in a million years.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The following texts can go f**k themselves

Rabbit Proof Fence - Peter Noyce
Green St Hooligans - Lexi Alexander
Bora Ring - Judith Wright
Educating Rita - Willy Russell
The Tracker - Rolf de Heer
The Last Laugh - Wilfred Owen
Dulce et Decorum est - Wilfred Owen
Anthem for Doomed Youth - Wilfred Owen
The Drover's Wife - Henry Lawson
The Chosen Vessell - Barbarra Baynton
Wild Cat Falling - Colin Johnson

Good to see the stimylas hasnt changed much in 5 years
did most of them myself, the wilfred owen stuff is piss easy... remember a few quotes and sh*te talk... spewing you got Green St Hooligans though, we didnt get to do that, would have loved too though

Anyways hope you all fail. Remember if you dont do well in the HSC you'll never amount to anything in life.

Vossy

Bench
if you fail in the HSC you become a raiders fan

lol @ NKA's post

Do you do mathematics 2 unit? I got 55 in the catholic trials and i just flicked through it with the answer sheets and man it was really hard. I sure as hell hope the actual HSC exam isn't that hard, but judging from excel past papers it's more straight to the course and topic.

I reckon 60% of the 45 people in my school that do mathematics failed. My sister got 47 in 2004 and got an exam HSC mark of 75.

nup, i do general maths, id do more then fail in 2 unit maths...in the trial paper i was above class average but still just failed..

was doing the past HSC exam book today..

*Got 92% in the last 2 Unit exam he did*

8-[

:shock: give me some of your smartness :fist:

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
It's only makes an appearance in Maths I'm afraid.

Instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cAs1YBELmA

Good bye;

The works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge: Lime Tree Bower, Kubla Khan, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Frost at Midnight.
Fisher King - Terry Gilliams
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (awesome)
Emma - Jane Austen
Clueless - Amy Heckerling
King Lear - Williams Shakespeare
Frontline - Rob Sitch (not as bad as other prescribed texts)

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Good to see the stimylas hasnt changed much in 5 years
did most of them myself, the wilfred owen stuff is piss easy... remember a few quotes and sh*te talk... spewing you got Green St Hooligans though, we didnt get to do that, would have loved too though

Anyways hope you all fail. Remember if you dont do well in the HSC you'll never amount to anything in life.

Yeah Owen's is heaps easy, but they always offer sh*t questions

I chose Green St Hooligans as my related text - for both Journeys and Into the world :lol:

lol @ NKA's post

not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing

:p

NO MORE
-Cosi by Louis Nowra
-Poetry of Bruce Dawe
-Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
-Billy Elliot (although I do like the movie, studying any movie in school kills it for you)

Vossy

Bench
not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing

:p

tis a good thing :)

the following texts can go fugg 'em selves

*Shoe-horn sonata (john misto) [play]
*Les Hiddens 'Bush Tucker Man': stories of survival [tv series]
*Raw (scott monk) [book, bloody good novel about a teen from mt druitt sent to a kinda half-way house meets minimum security prison]
*Peter skryznecki's poems of immigration (woe is me poetry)

bring on maths tomorrow

Stonecutter

First Grade
It's only makes an appearance in Maths I'm afraid.

Instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cAs1YBELmA

Good bye;

The works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge: Lime Tree Bower, Kubla Khan, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Frost at Midnight.
Fisher King - Terry Gilliams
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (awesome)
Emma - Jane Austen
Clueless - Amy Heckerling
King Lear - Williams Shakespeare
Frontline - Rob Sitch (not as bad as other prescribed texts)

Why do you guys do so many prescribed texts?

Our class did:
The Tempest-William Shakespeare (Journey)
Gwen Harwood poems (Critical study)
Frontline -Rob Sitch (Telling the truth)
Emma- Jane Austen (Transformations)
Clueless -Amy Heckerling (Transformations)

And my related texts which I chose to do were:
On the March- Henry Lawson (poem + imaginative journey)
The Butterfly Effect- Eric Bress (Imaginative journey)
To kill a mockingbird- Harper Lee (Truth)
The Simpsons 'Homer badman' (so easy to remember. I know the ep off by heart :p)

Stonecutter

First Grade
The Simpsons/Family Guy/Futurama are the best things to use if you prepare 1 related text and they ask for 2. Happened to me for into the world but I used Underbelly.

I was in a trance when doing it though because I left it till last. I suddenly woke up and realised how slow I was writting then looked at the clock and saw I had 10 mins to write my 2 related texts as well as a conclussion.

In the end I skipped half of the simpsons and wrote a good 1 line conclusion whilst pretending to be filling in my student number after they called pens down. Some people kept writting for like 5 minutes after the time was up.

Vossy

Bench
i would get 100/100 for any exam on the simpsons/family guy/futurama..bloody qoute every word from the simpsons :)

That's all the motivation I need to get me through now haha.

watch faiders_69 reply with "you fail in life by supporting the sharks" :lol: dont bother R69 :p

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
The Fisher King and Hitchhiker's weren't prescribed, they were the ones I chose. Not really a fan of the Fisher King, but Hitchhiker's is great.

Stonecutter

First Grade
i would get 100/100 for any exam on the simpsons/family guy/futurama..bloody qoute every word from the simpsons :)

watch faiders_69 reply with "you fail in life by supporting the sharks" :lol: dont bother R69 :p

Add South Park and any Adam Sandler movies to that list as well.

So good in Biology. "What makes a Crocodile so angry?" "Mumma sssays that it's because they have so many teeth and no tooth brush". "Well mumma's wrong, it's because of an enlarged medulla ombongata" "Mumma's not wrong aaaarrgggooooo *dropkick*" lol.

I was in a trance when doing it though because I left it till last. I suddenly woke up and realised how slow I was writting then looked at the clock and saw I had 10 mins to write my 2 related texts as well as a conclussion.

In the end I skipped half of the simpsons and wrote a good 1 line conclusion whilst pretending to be filling in my student number after they called pens down. Some people kept writting for like 5 minutes after the time was up.

I was in a similar position, I did my 2 related texts (Underbelly and Iron Man [the song]) in about 15 minutes, along with the conclusion. My Billy Elliot part took up 7 pages in the booklet, and the whole essay was 9.