What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Cowboys

Dazzat

First Grade
Cowboys have picked up Donald Malone from Ipswich. How does everybody rate him? He carves up in Q Cup.

Malone is a proven line-breaker ... apparently a relative of Steve Renouf and he reminds me of a bigger version of the former 'prince of centres'.

Don't know how you going to fit him in with Graham and Tonga in the team though. He plays left side, the same as Tonga.

elyod138

Bench
Malone is a proven line-breaker ... apparently a relative of Steve Renouf and he reminds me of a bigger version of the former 'prince of centres'.

Don't know how you going to fit him in with Graham and Tonga in the team though. He plays left side, the same as Tonga.

He could probably play on the wing.

Dazzat

First Grade
He could probably play on the wing.

He's not a winger ... not fast enough IMO. He's a classic centre. Not fast enough for the wing, and I don't think he has the work ethic for a forward. Graham's got more pace and would be a better winger than Malone.

Shorty

Staff member
Well actually Dazzat,I'm predicting Ash to be shifted to the wing - Possibly.
2007 was a great season for him at centre but I think he's got more strike power playing on the wing.
It'll be a little while until we see the new boys- Though I think Steve Rapira is ripe for the picking.

Talanexor

Juniors
As far as the backs are concerned, the only hole we really need to plug is left-side winger. If you put Graham there then you need to slot someone else into right-side centre.

I wasn't that impressed with the likes of Sam Bowie and Brandon Boor this season, but that's not to say they won't be good with a bit more game time. Still leaves a gap this season.

So I see two options: Put Farrar on the wing outside of Tonga or put Ash there and move Harris back into the centres. We should have enough muscle up front to be able to do that this season.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
For all Cowboys watch out James Tamou if he gets picked to play for NZ maori against Dreamtime/ Indig. Aussie Side.

He played off the bench in the NZ All Golds V Maori exhibition game. He played well considering he going against Wiki, Cayless. He was keen to run all day.

He definitely FG material in the long-term and I believe he might get a few games. He has a huge frame and with fulltime FG training I reckon he will turn out to be a good prospect.

Jared Kahu got a little game time off the bench also – a little benji marshall clone – think he is still u/20s next year will need to develop some size before he is considered for first grade.

Go The Roos

Juniors
1.Matt Bowen
2.Ty Williams
3.Willie Tonga
4.Ashley Graham
5.John Williams
6.Travis Burns
7.Johnathon Thurston
8.Carl Webb
9.Aaron Payne
10.Antonio Kafusi
11.Steve Southern
12.Manaese Manukafo
13.Luke O'Donnell

14.Clint Amos
15.Steve Rapari
16.Ben Harris
17.Matt Scot

Shorty

Staff member
What does everyone think about Ty after the last half of the year.
Many of us were ready for him to receive the boot but he has shown some glimpses of his previous form.

Hopefully with Billy J and Henry he can let go of that injury and return to form.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah you're absolutely right Dave.
One of the obvious differences between this year and last year is that when we had injuries in 07 the boys stood up and took the load on.
This year wasn't the case although they started to come up trumps toward the end.

The generals just need to be supported probably and it will go from there.

Mean Maori,Jared Kahu sounds like a pretty interesting prospect as I have always wanted a player similar of Marshall's style to be at the Cows.
I think the style of play would be suited to the way we play.

Big Pete

Referee
To elucidate further on Jared Kahu I believe he's ineligible for the TYC next season so he'll most likely feature in the Queensland Cup. He's a very inconsistent type of player and you don't know what to expect from him. He needs at least a year of Queensland Cup to gain a better understanding of the game and if he survives the year he may well be the perfect partner for Thurston.

The other player who was recruited from the Broncos is Troyden Watene a former Schoolboy and a promising backrower. He has a lot of strength Watene and was one of the stand outs in what was a very succesful season for the Broncos NYC side. Out of him and Kahu I must say Watene is the most likely to crack first grade and from one Queenslander to another I hope he does.

Shorty

Staff member
Yes Troyden is actually dating a family friend's daughter and they have just moved up to Townsville this week or last.

nqcowboy87

Bench
always been a fan of taebo(and thats not cause i come from innsifail), if he can get back to 2005 form he will tear it up outside tonga

Shorty

Staff member
It really would be a boost with him back to even a glimpse of his previous form.
If players play to their potential our backline is one of the deadliest in the NRL.