What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Round 1 NRL teams

Paullyboy

Coach
A pack containing Hannant, Ennis, Ryan & Stag and you call them weak?

I reckon there's some decent players in that lot.

Hannant looks good when he's surrounded by quality, but in that pack only he and Ryan have any real grunt. Hodgson, Ennis and Stagg will get through plenty of work - but they aren't going to get the bulldogs out of their own half with the ball.

I think I over-estimated the Dogs off-season purchases upon looking at that lineup, I always just thought they had more in the pack then a bunch of fringe ex-bronco players.

Lambretta

First Grade
Well there is some tackling there .. not so much in the go forward stakes

Hannant will give them some and they have some size coming off the bench.

But yeah - you're right. Not huge amounts of impact. Maybe with all those tacklers - they're just considering keeping the opposition pinned down their own end :crazy:

:cool:

Paullyboy

Coach
Hannant will give them some and they have some size coming off the bench.

But yeah - you're right. Not huge amounts of impact. Maybe with all those tacklers - they're just considering keeping the opposition pinned down their own end :crazy:

:cool:

On considering that possibilty, what a 'thrill' we are all in for when it's time for Cronulla v Bulldogs - I think I'd prefer watch the biggest loser ahead of that match.

abpanther

Staff member
Nice looking bench, I agree the pack lacks some go forward. Nice centre pairing too, where is nanai?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not entirely sure on Nanai. Be interesting to see the Bankstown side against Wenty...

Jelly Warrior

Juniors
St Georges

Darius Boyd; Jason Nightingale, Matt Cooper, Chase Stanley, Wendell Sailor; Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt); Justin Poore, Dean Young, Michael Weyman, Beau Scott, Ben Creagh, Jeremy Smith. Res: Luke Priddis, Jarrod Saffy, Matt Prior, Dan Hunt

Mr Saab

Referee
Ben Roberts and Brett Kimmorley in the halves....my god thats a nightmare scarier than being stuck in an elevator with Julia Gillard

Big Pete

Referee
Not too shabby from the Dogs considering their roster.

I particularly enjoy the make up of their bench that features three exciting prospects in Lee Te Maari, John Kite and Ben Barba. Armit is also a very dependable prop who can get the job done.

All in all I believe it's fair to say that sides a considerable improvement over the 08 counter-part and they'll certainly make decent opposition for the Sea Eagles.

RufusRex

Post Whore
St Georges

Darius Boyd; Jason Nightingale, Matt Cooper, Chase Stanley, Wendell Sailor; Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt); Justin Poore, Dean Young, Michael Weyman, Beau Scott, Ben Creagh, Jeremy Smith. Res: Luke Priddis, Jarrod Saffy, Matt Prior, Dan Hunt

is that a guess or a fact?

Raider_69

Post Whore
The pack looks weak for the dogs, too many workhorses and not enough go forward
Kimmorley's kicking game will keep them in alot of games though.

Shorty

Staff member
I don't get why people think the Dogs line up is particularly weak...I mean I see it as an immense improvement to last year - Especially in the halves.
Their bench is good too.
I do agree about Roberts though he definitely needs a dominant half to shine.

Dragons don't look too shabby either.

sting

Bench
Given he said "St Georges" - the incorrect team name and poor grammar, coupled with no link... easy assumpion is GUESS. :lol:

ffs pedantic much?

i assumed he was posting a fact but just didn't know the rules about sources cause he's only new. give the guy a break.

looks like your "easy assumption" was wrong, what you have to say about that?

ByRd

First Grade
Dogs forward pack looks like tackling machines don't know about go forward with them though.
thats true and we needed to improve our defence big time from last year and that back row of Ryan, Stagg and Warburton are all tackling machines but we will have to see how they go on offence.

Timmah

Staff member
ffs pedantic much?

i assumed he was posting a fact but just didn't know the rules about sources cause he's only new. give the guy a break.

looks like your "easy assumption" was wrong, what you have to say about that?

Nothing. But you care too much ;-)

FMD, not a lot of attacking punch in that Dog's team is there? They will be this years version of the Sharks from last year imo. They won't have a lot of points in them but they won't give away many either. You would have to say that Morris and Patten are the only real strike weapons. Idris, Roberts and Ennis will be the creative sparks and Kimmorley will just guide the team down the park, kick for the corners and allow that defensive line to grind teams into submission. They certainly won't leak points like they did last year.

I would have sacked Roberts for Barba. I know he is a defensive risk but with that pack, you can probably afford one. If I were a betting man, I'd put my hard earned on him having that 5/8 spot for good before the year is out. Roberts is far too hit and miss imo. That Doggies team will rely on grinding sides down and Roberts is not that type of player. He has too many errors in him.

As for that Dragons side, they are too slow around the ruck. Young and Priddis are good Dummy Halves but they are not as quick as they once were and that entire forward pack is big and slow. Cam Smith will crucify them around the ruck.

They have a quality backline and with Hornby there instead of Head, they will see more ball then they did in the shield, but they come up against a quality backline as well this week. I'm tipping a tough week for the Dragons. They are notorious slow starters and I don't think this year will be any different.

Timmah

Staff member
Not a lot of attacking punch? Morris, Goodwin and Idris are all pretty zippy players...

Latest posts