What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Round 1 NRL teams

skeepe

Immortal
Dogs and Dragons look a lot weaker than I expected given their purchases. Hmmm. Interesting.

Not a lot of attacking punch? Morris, Goodwin and Idris are all pretty zippy players...

Morris goes well. Idris has the potential to be the find of the season. In saying that though, I don't see Idris as scoring a stack of tries. I think he will be more of a "poke his head through the hole and offload" type of centre. The type of bloke you want to play outside of if you are a Winger.

I'll need to see more of Goodwin before I'm convinced about his abilities.

Lycon79

Juniors
What happened to Nick Kouporitzis(spelling???) I thought he would be in the top 17 ??

ByRd

First Grade
What happened to Nick Kouporitzis(spelling???) I thought he would be in the top 17 ??
Has not been the the same since 2007. He has surgery in the 2008 off season and never hit his straps in 2008 and has not had the best off season this year, he wasnt even selected in the top grade trials. He will get a run at some time but he needs to earn it first.

fortae

Bench
As for that Dragons side, they are too slow around the ruck. Young and Priddis are good Dummy Halves but they are not as quick as they once were and that entire forward pack is big and slow. Cam Smith will crucify them around the ruck.

They have a quality backline and with Hornby there instead of Head, they will see more ball then they did in the shield, but they come up against a quality backline as well this week. I'm tipping a tough week for the Dragons. They are notorious slow starters and I don't think this year will be any different.

If we get a fair play the ball, unlike in the Charity Shield, Saints will be competitive in this game.

It's a good team to start the year off with, in battles like it will be in Melbourne but you'd hope to see Costigan, BMorris come into the side and bring a bit more speed and skill ... Mickey Paea and Ricky Thorby will keep Costigan honest too. Both excellent in a truer trial against Canterbury.

I can't see many teams winning in Melbourne, despite their losses, and it's made a more difficult task considering their end to 2008 and all the changes at Saints.

Melbourne's recruitment has still been good considering the constraints and they have a fairly settled combination between key players. Weak spot is the centres with Chambers coming off an injury lay off and Isa who is raw, but their job is fairly simple given Hoffman on one side and (likely) a NZ International on the other side. Loss of impact off the bench is probable should be countered somewhat by the emergence of Kevin Proctor and the purchase of Ryan Hinchcliffe.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The changes at Saints make it easier, not more difficult, to beat the Storm. Their lineup is considerably stronger than late last year. Gasnier's mind was elsewhere, he wasn't in career best form. Not to mention Brown kept not selecting Soward...

Vossy

Bench
Bryson Goodwin isn't that short is he? :?

he isnt the tallest bloke going round, more average height, not exactly a good leaper, can go missing in games and stay out on his wing and wait for the ball to get to him and not go looking for it

Timmah

Staff member
Still, better than some of the prospects we've had in recent seasons.

coolumsharkie

Referee
He scored one of the tries of the season last year. As a matter of fact he played x amount of games and would have had his contract increased had he played one more game, so the Sharks sent him back to PL. Probably more for financial reasons than ability, I reckon he's a good buy for you guys.

Good defender, great under the high ball and a good finisher, thats all you need for a winger anyway imo.

runatme

Bench
he made one massive mistake whilst playing for Cronulla and after that i said he would never play for them again and he didnt

fortae

Bench
The changes at Saints make it easier, not more difficult, to beat the Storm. Their lineup is considerably stronger than late last year. Gasnier's mind was elsewhere, he wasn't in career best form. Not to mention Brown kept not selecting Soward...

Thanks for that woeful "editorial" ... but changes will see both teams weaker than the end of last year. That's usually how it works. Competitions are not about the start of the season and finals teams play a lot better as the season goes on, as Saints did through 2008.

Yes, Saints will be stronger than they were, as time goes on but not yet.

mongoose

Coach
Interesting to see fat boy weyman starting, he must have had a good preseason. I don't remember him starting too many games for the raiders.

bartman

Immortal
Dogs team's performance will all come down to how Kimmorley performs, imo.

The talent in the outside backs won't get any chance to shine unless Kimmorley can get the ball out to them in good position - and that's presuming the Dogs pack can manage to hold their own and not get dominated.

Is anyone injured? That pack looks about one quality player short to me. (Same will go for Parra's pack when it's named - we're short a decent 12 imo.)

Timmah

Staff member
We're missing Hickey, he was hitting his straps late last year.