What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 season analysis

cupid

Juniors
The season was over before it began, the pre-season function, the Brett incident, the infighting at board level that was played out in the media. We were never going to win, when we won 2, from of our first 8.

I'm proud of the boys for turning it around, they showed alot of character, they have played alot of footy over the past 12 months, World Cups, Origins, World Club Challenge. This is why I thought the forwards looked abit flat up front compared to previous seasons, I don't think we have the right to criticize the boys, compared to what they achieved last year, It was never our go all year.

Hopefully not too many Manly players are picked in the Four Nations, the boys need a rest from footy, we still have a one of the best rosters in the comp, and Dessie at helm, I believe we can challenge for the title once again, Go Manly!

bennoonthehill

Juniors
Watching guys like Prince, Thurston, Soward, Kimmorley etc makes me realise how rarely Orford provides a real individual spark to our game. I honestly thiink it might be time to blood Trent Hodkionson (Sp?) alongside Foran in the halves next season, and free up some of Orford's salary to make sure they stick around when they come off contract. Orford might be solid, but its a very rare premier that is without a real livewire half. Last seasons premiership was a bit of an anomoly i think - we didn't need Orford to be magic because guys like the Stewart brothers, Killer, Watmough etc were providing it for us. I don't want so seem like i'm sticking the boot in - Orford has not been a terrible player, but he's not what we need now.

Lyon is much more useful in the centres, and Matai would be far better used in the backrow, and given we're losing Hall and JWH, Galavao and Matai as replacements would work nicely.

Such an inexperienced halves combo might take a bit of breaking in, but look at Daniel Mortimer this season - good players don't take long to raise their game to NRL standards, and regardless of who we play in the halves, surely we can't start as bad again next year?

Apart from that i think we'll have a decent shot at things next season, provided we don't sign overpriced duds like Bailey and TW this off-season. An alcohol-free season launch wouldn't be a horrible idea either.

cupid

Juniors
I don't think it could hurt signing Orford for a cheap 1 year deal, though I agree Orford is not getting any older and we should start looking towards a new 7, also I think we should let the Wolfman go aswell, he defiantly isn't going to cost $50,000, this time around, and we have a more then capable player in Farrar to take his place. My team for next year would be

1.B.Stewart
2.M.Robertso
3.J.Lyon
4.S.Matai
5.D.Williams
6.K.Foran
7.M.Orford/T.Hodkinson/D.Cherry-Evans
8.J.King
9.M.Ballin
10.B.Kite
11.Watmough
12.S.Rodney
13.G.Stewart

14.G.Rose
15.C.Bailey
16.M.Cross.
17.J.Perry

bennoonthehill

Juniors
Wolfie and Robbo are off contract right? Robbo should be the priority, but it we resign them both my team would be similar, but Farrar in at 4, and Matai in for Bailey at 15. Maybe having a battle for a place, something he didn't have to do at all this season, will get the best out of Bailey.

cupid

Juniors
I see you are still hurting over lasts years GF, for you to go and post someting like that.

ostrich20

Juniors
Time for the storm to faulter again at the final post and finish with 1 GF win from four straight attempts.

Considering the start, they did put in a big effort to get to fifth at the end of the season. Atleast we have been able to put some sought of mark on the premiership race this year, in recent history premiers have just fallen over completely the following year.

caspersparks

Juniors
it was a very dissapointing end, but one i think needed to happen, our year was very wishy washy.. hopefully we will get our hunger back over the off season, and with no distractions or injuries next year, there is no reason we cant be up the top with our talent..

bozo's bum

Juniors
got into strife at launch. tried to cover up for a rapist, played sh*t and bundled out in 1st week of finals. Sums it up really

Truthy746

Juniors
- Our season was killed from when the pre-season scandals emerged.
- Pretty good achievement to get back from last to 5th.
- We looked plain tired, due to the fight back from the poor start and the two previous seasons.
- Having no consistent 5/8 all year didn't help matters either.
- Our signings didn't have the impact we thought they would this year. Bailey isn't a great 5/8 and is better off being used for depth. Williams didn't live up to the hype.
- Many players underperformed, including Wolfman, Bani, Kite, and Orford.

They're just a few reasons of why we bowed like we did, and the match against the Storm pretty much was our season in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to 2010 however, especially since this year we were able to blood Foran into the 5/8 role and with the development of players such as Rose, King, and T-Rex. Add this with a fresh hunger, and no pressure from being the prior premiers could see us ending this decade on a very positive note, with a grand final not out of the question at all.

Latest posts