What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

Perth Red

Post Whore
One of the differences it seems at AFL finals is you do get alot of fans of the game ie neutral fans go along to finals games. That's one reason they get 50k+ to most of them. Wether RL neutrals are put off going due to the games being spread out at suburban grounds I'm not sure.

yakstorm

First Grade
Just for arguments sake say the Dragons/Manly game was held at the SFS or ANZ. Would there really have been a big crowd?

Crowd figure debates aside, you would have been lucky to have had 1000 Manly fans as Kogarah yesterday. So that means the majority of the 15-18k were Dragons fans.

At the Raiders/Panthers game (16k crowd) there were a few thousand Raiders fans and I'd say less Panthers fans than we had Dragons fans yesterday.

Not too sure the break up of the 33k from the SFS, but maybe 50/50? That means each of the Sydney teams (except Manly) contributed somewhere in the 14-16k range.

So would the Manly fans have come out in droves at the SFS? Instead of a thousand odd would there have been 10k? Why not blame Manly fans for not supporting their team?

This just isn't as cut and dried as some people are making out and the bottom line is that if the Dragons want to have home and final games at Kogarah it should be of no concern to other teams.

The problem when teams play at grounds like Kogarah for big matches, is there is a perceived thought by the general public that the game is sold out. For that Dragons v Sea Eagles game there was a huge surge of interest on the Tuesday morning when it went on sale and then it fizzled out...

Two things which would of contributed to that is firstly, that a lot of people, especially families would prefer to have their own seats for big games. Hills might be fun when the ground is half empty and you can put down a blanket and have a nice day at the ground, but when it gets to stand up time its just too difficult, and secondly the thought the game was sold out or almost sold out would have limited sales.

Dragons fans have shown this year against the Roosters at the SFS and SCG, that they are prepared to turn out in big numbers this year at bigger venues. Even if only 1,000 or so Manly fans would have turned up at the SFS, there was the chance for all the Dragons members and other fans to turn up, plus neutrals.

4-5K worth of Stadium members would have been there alone anyway even if no one else extra turned up, meaning the game would have been at worst around the 20K mark.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not too sure the break up of the 33k from the SFS, but maybe 50/50? That means each of the Sydney teams (except Manly) contributed somewhere in the 14-16k range.

Tbh at the SFS I would take a guess at 10k Roosters fans 23k Tigers fans. Had as well outnumbered. 30/70.

Rocket

Juniors
The problem when teams play at grounds like Kogarah for big matches, is there is a perceived thought by the general public that the game is sold out.

True and the NRL way of holding back tickets even during members only periods doesn't help. How can it go from single seats only in reserved areas on Tuesday to being able to buy 4 seats in a row in CAT 1 on Thursday? Bloody confusing to the average punter and no doubt put many off who just simply made other plans.

Dragons fans have shown this year against the Roosters at the SFS and SCG, that they are prepared to turn out in big numbers this year at bigger venues.

And I agree that in the second and third weeks of the finals these are the best venues and traditionally the Dragons draw big crowds to these places. This year should see huge crowds and a great atmosphere.

I just don't agree with scrapping suburban grounds entirely and believe there is still a place for them, particularly for such a well supported team like the Dragons.

But hey if there was massive revolt of Dragons fans demanding we move to the SFS or ANZ for Sydney games then so be it.

STG-MACCA

Bench
Pictures tell (maybe) 18,000 words
IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

Brutus

Referee
Just for arguments sake say the Dragons/Manly game was held at the SFS or ANZ. Would there really have been a big crowd?

No, but there would have been for the corresponding Dragons v Eels game last year or if Souths had of scraped into the eight this year.

Anyway, it will be on again next year. Looking forward to it.

ouwet

Bench
Given it's an NRL fixture

Take your blue and white glasses off (whoever thought I'd say that) and get around the anti-Saints dribble.

Next, wake up to the fact that the Tigers have a contract with the SFS as it's already a Tigers home ground. Week 1 is for home ground finals or did you miss that? Where's the attack on Penrith for only getting 16k at a ground holding 22k? That's an equally "sh*t" crowd at a venue that doesn't meet the lofty criteria of the faithful in here, why isn't it up for questioning? Oh that's right, they don't wear red and white, who cares?

Difference being, someone at the ground can see not only the hill but have the luxury of observing most of the seated areas. There were very few if any empty seats in all seated areas... the crowd posted was wrong.

Get off your high horse dude! My Blue n White glasses are off! This has nothing to do with the Bulldogs or being anti-St George! I'm Anti suburban grounds in general (And that includes Belmore Sports Ground and the Bulldogs ever playing there in he future)...

Whether you like it or not, the Dragons would've got more at the SFS then Kogarah the other day... Same as so many games during the year (Kogarah & Wollongong games)! No team (And i've said it on this thread) should play in Surburban grounds in Sydney... It's no longer 1960, it's embarrassing to see a Semi Final being played at a ground barely fit enough to hold an under 12's GF... People wonder why RL isn't taken seriously... PFFT.

Playing at Suburban grounds is almost as stupid as putting the Central Coast in the competition... That's all we need another NSW team! I swear some people like you and Willow won't be happy until we're the NSWRL again! Wake up!

Timmah everyone who watched it on TV who AREN'T St Merge fans and don't have family who are St Merge fans agree with the 15.5K... it was quiet obviously not capacity crowd, it was easily a few thousand short!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good pics StG-Macca. All taken from the grand stand

The first one is the eastern end of the Northern Terrace. It is usually the last area to fill up.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Get off your high horse dude! My Blue n White glasses are off! This has nothing to do with the Bulldogs or being anti-St George! I'm Anti suburban grounds in general (And that includes Belmore Sports Ground and the Bulldogs ever playing there in he future)...
lol. Talking about high horses. Looks like your set for a meltdown.
Whether you like it or not, the Dragons would've got more at the SFS then Kogarah the other day...
You don't know this.

You can have that opinion, and I can respect that. But ramming it down others throats like it's a fact isn't the go.

But back to your high horse...

ouwet said:
Same as so many games during the year (Kogarah & Wollongong games)! No team (And i've said it on this thread) should play in Surburban grounds in Sydney...
You seem determined to force your opinion on others. How's the view up there?
ouwet said:
It's no longer 1960, it's embarrassing to see a Semi Final being played at a ground barely fit enough to hold an under 12's GF... People wonder why RL isn't taken seriously... PFFT.
Your embarrassed? lol. Well that's your problem.

Perhaps you're easily embarrassed.
ouwet said:
Playing at Suburban grounds is almost as stupid as putting the Central Coast in the competition... That's all we need another NSW team! I swear some people like you and Willow won't be happy until we're the NSWRL again! Wake up!
Oh, I got a mention. LOL.

FTR ouwet, when I go to the footy and enjoy myself, I don't think of you at all. Sorry.
ouwet said:
Timmah everyone who watched it on TV who AREN'T St Merge fans and don't have family who are St Merge fans agree with the 15.5K... it was quiet obviously not capacity crowd, it was easily a few thousand short!
People who weren't there? :lol:

The vast majority who were there say the figure was at least 18,000. Eye witnesses, people who are regulars, and there's pictures to back it up. People who say otherwise were not at the game. You don't have to agree, but your view of the ground on TV is in no way superior to the people who were there.

Good luck with working that out.

Regards.

P.S. Can you read this from up there? Let me know if you need a larger font.

The vast majority who were there say the figure was at least 18,000. Eye witnesses, people who are regulars, and there's pictures to back it up. People who say otherwise were not at the game. You don't have to agree, but your view of the ground on TV is in no way superior to the people who were there.

Are you guys still banging on about how you think your head count is accurate? :lol: fmd

"But but but I swear there was 100,000 people there, I counted them myself!!!"

gronkathon

First Grade
In contrast they may as well move the Roosters V Panthers match to Erskinville Oval for the pathetic crowd it will attract.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you're realistic, you'll realise there is a need for suburban grounds. Rugby League is tribal, and it always will be. The Tigers have got it right, use suburban grounds, but sparingly. As a result, there are always good strong crowds at LO and CS. Ideally if the 'Dogs redevelop Belmore properly, games vs teams like Titans, Cowboys, Storm etc would be ideal to take to those suburban grounds, while playing the remainder at ANZ.
Whether you like it or not, the Dragons would've got more at the SFS then Kogarah the other day... Same as so many games during the year (Kogarah & Wollongong games)! No team (And i've said it on this thread) should play in Surburban grounds in Sydney... It's no longer 1960, it's embarrassing to see a Semi Final being played at a ground barely fit enough to hold an under 12's GF... People wonder why RL isn't taken seriously... PFFT.
It's not about who likes what or the general public consensus (usually dictated by Rothfield and his merry men), it's about the rules the NRL put in place. The game on Sunday was a home ground final for the Dragons as dictated by the NRL. The Dragons' two home grounds are Wollongong and Kogarah and they were able to choose between the two. Beyond week one, venues are forced to be concentrated on regions and cities rather than home grounds and that's the NRL's edict. Until the NRL change that, the Dragons are within their rights to play at their home ground, and engage the tribal atmosphere that goes with it. Given their opponents were Manly, a club with one of the lowest memberships in the game and a support base notorious for not travelling, there wouldn't have been a reason to move it to the SFS or ANZ, as the crowd would not have been much more at either ground, and would've looked far worse.
Oh dear, could your attempts to troll be more obvious? This is nothing to do with NSW teams - you have a very narrow-minded way of looking at things. The CC has an enormous junior catchment and that is being underutilised. It's an area already identifiable with RL, so why not tap into a guaranteed audience? Do we really want to risk another Storm fiasco in ten years time by venturing into a minority market?
It sounds like a few small voices in here, not "everyone" as you so claim.

Nobody for a moment suggests the place was at capacity, but regulars can certain attest to the fact that the ground looked far fuller than other crowds posted with similar figures. I'd trust someone at the ground who has a full scope of view of the ground than someone who caught glimpses on TV.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Over 24,000 sold for Raiders game

RAIDERS MATCH EXPECTED TO BE SOLD OUT TODAY

14/09/2010 8:06:09 AM

The NRL have advised that they have experienced very strong ticket sales for Friday’s elimination final between the Wests Tigers and the Canberra Raiders at Canberra Stadium.
It is understood 10,000 tickets were sold yesterday to Wests Tigers and Canberra ticketed Club Members.
The match is expected to be sold out today once tickets go on sale to the general public.
Wests Tigers fans are urged to buy their tickets as soon as possible to avoid missing out.
“It would be a great lift to the team if they could see and hear as many Tigers fans as possible,'' Wests Tigers Chief Executive Stephen Humphreys said.
Captain Robbie Farah added, “Thanks to all the Tigers fans for their support and for sticking by us. Get down to Canberra on Friday and make some noise!”
Tickets can be bought in the following ways:
Phone: 132 849 (Australia)/0800 842 538 (New Zealand)
Online: www.ticketek.com.au
Wests Tigers supporter areas will be located at Bays 24, 25, 61, 62, 66 and 67.
The Club will be arranging Supporter Buses to transport fans down to Canberra for the crunch match.
The Buses will travel to the Nation’s Capital at around lunch time on Friday.
The cost will be $30 per person and fans are advised to call Wests Tigers Reception on 02 8741 3300 to register their interest. All bookings must be made by 5pm Tuesday 14 September at the latest.
Payment must be made by credit card over the phone or cash at Concord Oval. Bookings are non-refundable.
Confirmation of departure times will be confirmed by the Club on Wednesday.
The likely pick up points are Rozelle, Five Dock, Ashfield and Campbelltown.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/defau...0&raiders-match-expected-to-be-sold-out-today

(KW)

Juniors
pax is over 24000 for Canberras 25000 seat ground, factor in the 2000 standing inly tickets and we should have circa 27000 at Bruce. Biggest Raiders crowd in Canberra ever.

KW