What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Four Nations Final - Australia v New Zealand

2010 Four Nations Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Izz

Bench
I also think Gould & co were so busy salivating over what Marshall did for those last couple of tries that they underplayed Nightingale's involvement in both, which was huge. From what I saw he instigated Marshall's kick for the second to last one & did an amazing job to run around his opposite & avoid crossing the sideline to help set up the clincher. Big efforts from most of our backline that deserved more credit from the commentators IMO.
Yep--Marshall had to make the kick, but i don't think he would've kicked at all without Nightingale pointing at the space. He was superb all game.

is Lockyer exempt from criticism??

you accuse Tate of doing nothing... yet Tate played half the time Lockyer did and he still had a bigger impact on the game.

Whoah...don't point the finger at Lockyer.

Please keep him in there and the Kiwis will keep on winning.;-)

Moffo

Referee
have to agree on the nightingale calls...he has had an amazing year. i must admit i didn't rate him but now do big time. reminds me of a rod wishart type player...just so reliable and consistent

adamkungl

Immortal
Well looks like the terrible refereeing bit Australia in the arse for once.
Only 1 legit try from each team with the Kiwis winning off a 10m forward pass.
Other than the finish was a pretty scrappy, low quality game imo. At least attacking wise.

Serious question, does Brett Morris pay touchies before matches to ignore when he blatantly puts feet over the sideline?

Titanic

First Grade
The one redeeming factor of living in a time zone behind Australia is reading the press comments in hindsight e.g. "Australian team shown the money" followed by the Test defeat. Perhaps here is the root of the problem. The Australian much-vaunted back line were blinded by the glittering piles of cash they were dreaming about or perhaps even distracted by the advice of their "managers" towards their investment options.

I didn't include the forwards here because we all know forwards don't think about that sort of stuff, in fact some of our forwards don't think ... fullstop.

Let's face it guys: we were beaten... the scoreboard says it... and history will record it. Thanks Locky for the memories and good luck with the Ponies. Thanks Kurt... neh, no thanks. Thanks Lote for coming back and good luck with the Tiges. Thanks Tatey and good luck under the knife (bad luck Cowbees) ... bring on the next generation.

Ps. Just so I can get it all out ... let's not count on GI "Walkabout" Crowe next season - he may have to dash off to Bollywood where he's been offered a role in the sequell to Slumdog Millionaire.

and finally: Dear Mr Willie Tonga, Please note that Fantasy NRL Rankings are just that - FANTASY!

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
Might have been better for Aus had they got that kick. Now they have to score.

36k. Poor. More than Sydney would have got though I would think.

sh*t crowd.

That match deserved more than 36,000..

Shame on you Brisbane..

I think New Zealand's insipid peformance last week probably kept the crowd down a bit, as did the Powderfinger concert.

Have Australia ever beaten or drawn with a full strength Italian team at a world cup? What was Italy's pre WC seeding? 2nd, 3rd? ;)

Look - claiming greatness over NZ in soccer is hysterical. Most kiwis do not even know where a soccer field is located.

QUESTION: Did Lockyer get man of the match tongiht? Was Slater man of the series?

LOL at no trophy presentation

Well, Australia were robbed against Italy in '06. :sarcasm:

Yes.

But perhaps the touch deceived Archer. Rather than identifying the forward pass, he may have been questioning whether the touch from Lockyer was what made it look forward rather than any fault from the passer.

I'm not saying I agree with the decision necessarily, but I can see how he may have arrived at it.

skeepe making an excuse for a refereeing blunder... now I've seen everything. :crazy:

Yep, that's my main beef with Marshall

Fantastic player when he decides to chime in. He just doesn't do it often enough.

Unrelated, does B Morris ever come in and take hitups at club level? He also needs to find his way into the game more.

Morris hits it up regularly for Saints. He also receives the ball from his centre, his halves, and his fullback.

FO, what game were you watching ?

we owned Aussie all game.

Even your biased ref couldnt help you out.

losers

f**k off. You scored two tries off blatant forward passes. If that last pass by Nightingale had instead been thrown by Morris you sheep shaggers would have spent the next 6 months, nay, 6 years whining about it.

Magic Stick

Juniors
f**k off. You scored two tries off blatant forward passes. If that last pass by Nightingale had instead been thrown by Morris you sheep shaggers would have spent the next 6 months, nay, 6 years whining about it.

LOL you Aussie dog f**ker...what about all your forward pass trys against England, We stomped yous on your ground with your ref.Shove that up your arse you aussie androtop

mrpwnd

Bench
Well looks like the terrible refereeing bit Australia in the arse for once.
Only 1 legit try from each team with the Kiwis winning off a 10m forward pass.
Other than the finish was a pretty scrappy, low quality game imo. At least attacking wise.

Serious question, does Brett Morris pay touchies before matches to ignore when he blatantly puts feet over the sideline?
Brett Morris will only ever play good when his side is dominating and his halves are superior. Period.
He's way too one-dimensional as a winger to suit big games where the pressure gets more intense.

AuckMel

Bench
Great win. New Zealand continue to win when it counts.

Well done Australia. Hung in there when you were down to 15 men. Archer was a joke and should consider retirement.

Titanic

First Grade
LOL you Aussie dog f**ker...what about all your forward pass trys against England, We stomped yous on your ground with your ref.Shove that up your arse you aussie androtop

I take offence at the "dog f**ker" comment. Since when is a blow job any more than a lick & a spit? Now bugger off back to the paddock and don't forget your wellies, you sheep pounder you :)

Magic Stick

Juniors
I take offence at the "dog f**ker" comment. Since when is a blow job any more than a lick & a spit? Now bugger off back to the paddock and don't forget your wellies, you sheep pounder you :)

Checked the Aussie trophy cabinet lately its empty...go to the cupboard and get your peanut butter your dog is waiting

Titanic

First Grade
Checked the Aussie trophy cabinet lately its empty...go to the cupboard and get your peanut butter your dog is waiting

You are nearly right ... we are just waiting for the new cabinet to be fitted and then it will be business as usual. Also, bro, you may need to attract your hound with peanut butter but ... oh yeah, sorry, I'm totally wrong, you have to chase yours around the backyard until they tire ... baaaaa :)

Rovelli

Bench
Some talking points:

Damn does Slater have an error in him? I know pressure gets to people in pressure situations, but damn...

Morris is quite an odd scenario. He's one of the best finishers in the NRL, yet has done very little for NSW and Australia over the past 2-3 years.

Why is Kurt Gidley still playing for NSW and Australia? He's the talismanic figure at the Knights, but again seems to lack the x-factor for representative football. He's hardly the guy who's going to break a game open.

I'd give Cronk some slack because he showed as the senior partner last week that he can do the business.

Nightingale is one of the more underrated wingers around. He has his limitations just like anyone, but he puts in every game. Dragons' supporters would really appreciate him, and so do the Kiwis.

What can you about Benji Marshall? The man was a very flakey player up until 2007, but he's absolutely matured with captaincy and great(er) responsbility at the Tigers. Despite our lame effort last week, he was creating havoc on attack. Look at his resumé now and you see he is a Premiership winner, a World Champion and a Four Nations winner.

Can we now say Australia/New Zealand test matches > State of Origin? Because let's be fair, one team dominating the other over for so long really means that Origin series now don't have that major sense of anticipation, unlike tests now.

Magic Stick

Juniors
You are nearly right ... we are just waiting for the new cabinet to be fitted and then it will be business as usual. Also, bro, you may need to attract your hound with peanut butter but ... oh yeah, sorry, I'm totally wrong, you have to chase yours around the backyard until they tire ... baaaaa :)

Dream on Matilda.your cabinet gonna be empty for a very long time.....you still got that battle of the twinkies origin though

Titanic

First Grade
Dream on Matilda.your cabinet gonna be empty for a very long time.....you still got that battle of the twinkies origin though

Right this time ... Sydney has that annual event and then we have State of Origin as well but in fairness I don't wish to distract from the topic at hand ... Kiwi won, we lost. Our team was out-selected, out-enthused, outplayed and is very much out-dated.

But as sure as those sheep of yours will keep producing hybrid lambs, we'll be back.

IanG

Coach
I know this mightn't be the most patriotic thing to say but I'm not overly disappointed that the kiwis won. I just wish I had a bet on them because I have a gut feeling that history could well repeat itself.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I know this mightn't be the most patriotic thing to say but I'm not overly disappointed that the kiwis won. I just wish I had a bet on them because I have a gut feeling that history could well repeat itself.

I'd label you as to "having an eye on the bigger picture". It was a bitter sweet result for me too mate. It stings though I know it was better as a whole for NZ to prevail.

This win by NZ and in the way it panned out is a big shot in the arm for the game in my opinion. Australia were short priced favourites and have once again fallen to the never say die Kiwis. Brilliant!

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Whilst Gallen and Bird are out there acting like turds and bringing their loser NSW style to the Aussie side, I'm going for the Kiwis every time.

Izz

Bench
Want some cheese with your whine, lollipop?

Whilst Gallen and Bird are out there acting like turds and bringing their loser NSW style to the Aussie side, I'm going for the Kiwis every time.
Yeah, Bird's a total muppet.

maple_69

Bench
Congrats to the Kiwis. Richly deserved win.
The reffing was terrible, only 1 legit try apiece but the Kiwis were the better side. As an Australian I'm quite happy with the result, might go away to discrediting a lot of the selections.

Morris and Tuqiri just aren't up to it. Flash Gordon and Boyd would have been better. Tonga and Tate were 1 dimensional and invisible and realistically will be behind GI, Jennings, Lawrence, Morris next year.
Cronk was lacklustre as was Locky. Should have gone with Prince and Carney.

As a Penrith fan I was stoked to see the performance of Mckendry. He wasn't best on field but certainly took the step up to international level after being probably best on field against PNG. Some of his hits were brutal.

Fairly boring game and series in all but good to see a grandstand finish to add a bit of gloss.