What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 GF game thread on LU

Life's Good

Coach
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could post the link to the 2010 GF GAME thread from the match forum? For the life of me I haven't been able to find it (despite numerous searches) as I would like to have a read and take a trip down memory lane.

First one that helps will get a :thumbsup:. Thanks LG

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons-2010_20181130.jpg

NRL HISTORY

2010 grand final rewind: Bennett and Boyd end Dragons' drought
Author
Scott Hazlewood NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 4 Dec 2018, 10:01 AM

The 2010 grand final was a historic one on many levels for the St George Illawarra Dragons, with the club winning their first premiership as a joint venture and coach Wayne Bennett clinching his seventh title. It was his first away from the Brisbane Broncos.

In the first all-Sydney NRL grand final for six years, the Sydney Roosters were also out to make history, aiming to be the first club in 76 years to go from worst to first in two seasons.

In greasy conditions, very little could separate the sides in the first half with the Dragons leading 8-6 at the break following tries to Mark Gasnier (Dragons) and Joey Leilua (Roosters).

A second-half double to Jason Nightingale helped the Dragons streak away to claim a well-deserved premiership.

Best player
Darius Boyd played the role of conductor throughout much of the game, with his standout moment a weaving run to set up one of Nightingale's tries. He mesmerised and bamboozled the Roosters' outside backs before sending his winger over.

The unsung hero
Anytime you can score two tries in a grand final it will go down as a special moment in a player's career. Nightingale not only crossed twice but was able to do so at critical times to keep the Roosters at bay.

Looking back at the 2010 grand final

Play of the day
Dean Young capped a memorable moment for his family when he plunged over in the 62nd minute to all-but seal the win, 31 years after his father captained the St George Dragons to their last premiership.

The what-if moment
Young was given the benefit of the doubt about a possible knock-on into Roosters forward Mitch Aubusson when he scored his crucial try. With the Dragons leading 18-8 in the 62nd minute, the try stretched the lead to 16 points and ensured the mountain was too high for the Roosters to climb.

dragons-celeb-10100311.jpg

Another try for the Dragons. :copyright:NRL Photos
The quote
Wayne Bennett on Darius Boyd's performance and that of the team: "He's been one of our best performers all year and tonight was what I expect from him and what he expects from himself. But teams win grand finals, individuals don't. And a team won here tonight."

Recollections of a champion
Dragons halfback Ben Hornby: "I guess we more felt relief at the time because there was so much pressure leading up the game. Obviously, we were excited but there was a lot of relief after the final siren.

"When we were up by a fair margin at the end of the game we were able to really enjoy the last part of the game with the fans, that's the bit I'll remember the most after it was really tight at half-time and both sides were playing well.

"But when we kicked away in the second half we were able to really enjoy it, which I don't think you get to do with any game much less a grand final."

minichielloa-10100319-r.jpg

A scramble for a loose ball. :copyright:NRL Photos
Recollections of a runner-up
Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello: "I thought our first half went well as we were leading at half-time (8-6). But then it turned into a bit of a nightmare as the rain came tumbling down.

"We didn't come out with much intensity in that second half and they got the jump on us. Whatever Wayne Bennett said at half-time it really worked for the Dragons because they came out and played as a team.

"Really, they were the most consistent team all year. We were up and down at the start of the season and had a good run towards the end.

"So I think they drew on that consistency they'd shown throughout the year and showed they were the better team."

"We came in the next year expecting to be up there again. And that's not the way it happens in the NRL.

"You've got to start all over again and build that winning culture from day one in the pre-season. I think we were too relaxed that pre-season – myself included – and it just didn't happen for us."

gasnierm-try-10100331-i.jpg

Dragons centre Mark Gasnier. :copyright:NRL Photos
The year after
The Dragons were unable to follow up their success in 2011 when they faced the Brisbane Broncos for the second time in three seasons in the semi-finals, this time losing 13-12 in extra-time.

The Roosters suffered an even bigger fall from grace, failing to make the finals and finishing 11th on the ladder after just 10 wins for the year.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...-rewind-bennett-and-boyd-end-dragons-drought/

getsmarty

Immortal
fan.jpg

DRAGONS

2010 Grand Final | Dragons v Roosters

Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 1 Oct 2019, 10:50 AM

With NRL grand final week upon us, we are proud to remember the achievements of the St George Illawarra Dragons. This week we’ll be looking back at some of the greatest grand final triumphs of the mighty Red V.

Up first is our most recent victory, when the Dragons blew the Sydney Roosters off the park in one of the most clinical grand final displays.

Below is the full match replay of the 2010 NRL grand final victory over the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium.

remote.axd

Sign up for a free NRL Account to access this video and other exclusive content.

Already have an NRL Account?
Not sure? Learn more about NRL Account

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Darius Boyd, 2. Brett Morris, 3. Mark Gasnier, 4. Matt Cooper, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Jamie Soward, 7. Ben Hornby :copyright:, 8. Neville Costigan, 9. Dean Young, 10. Michael Weyman, 11. Beau Scott, 12. Ben Creagh, 13. Jeremy Smith, 14. Nathan Fien, 15. Trent Merrin, 16. Matt Prior, 17. Jarrod Saffy. Coach Wayne Bennett.

Sydney Roosters

1. Anthony Minichiello, 2. Joey Leilua, 3. Kane Linnett, 4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall, 5. Sam Perrett, 6. Todd Carney, 7. Mitchell Pearce, 8. Jason Ryles, 9. Jake Friend, 20. Lopini Paea, 11. Nate Myles, 12. Mitchell Aubusson, 13. Braith Anasta :copyright:, 10. Frank-Paul Nu’uausala, 14. Martin Kennedy, 15. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 16. Daniel Conn. Coach Brian Smith.

St George Illawarra Dragons 32 (Jason Nightingale (2), Nathan Fien, Mark Gasnier, Dean Young tries; Jamie Soward 6/7 goals) d Sydney Roosters 8 (Braith Anasta, Mitchell Aubusson tries; Todd Carney 0/2 goals). ANZ Stadium (82,334 spectators), 3rd October 2010.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/01/2010-grand-final--dragons-v-roosters/