What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Round 2. Bluebags v Rabbitohs

Pistol

Coach
Forum 7s - Round 2 2010
NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS v SOUTH SYDNEY
bluebagsf7s.jpg
-v-
sou-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 31st March 2010 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: Antonius
Venue: Henson Park
ground_henson_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited:

antonius

Coach
Hi people. I will be away until next Thursday 1st April, so I will try and have your scores up sometime Friday, if not definately Saturday morning.

Bumble

First Grade
Souths are here:

Bumble (c)
Marshall_magic
miccle
byrne_rovelli_fan82
rabs

Pistol
griffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Bluebags helicopter flies in and lowers the team bus onto the hill. The doors open to a packed reception. With socks pulled up and some shoelaces tied, the players burst forth and onto the hallowed Henson Park turf.

Bluebags team - Round 2, 2010

Willow (c)
muzby
Drew-Sta
Timmah
Ridders

Res:
ozbash
MKEB...
Rexxy

Good luck one and all.

miccle

Bench
Fresh from the can bar, miccle gets proceedings underway for the Rabbitohs.

Uncontroversial inclusion
As an avid critic of most programs dished up to rugby league viewers over the past decade, I thought it only fair that I give the latest incarnation, The Matty Johns Show, a chance to show me what it had before I passed judgment.

Sure, the show clearly featured far too many of Matty’s typical low-brow skits with little or no humour, realism or intelligence (in my opinion, of course). But tucked away in there among the absolute rubbish, I was able to uncover two rocks that, with just a little more polish, could well turn into diamonds.

The first was the hugely well-done segment “Home when you’re away”, which featured NRL players going through the house of a fan while they weren’t there. The fan, present in the audience, reacts to the video of his or her idols joking about their bed sheets, playing with their computer games and even mowing their lawn. That fan then gets to go up onstage with the players and Matty to have a bit of a chat about it. The segment uses some really great, down to earth humour with a dry edge, much like the old Footy Show skit “Their House”. Many footballers in the NRL competition have a proven ability to be cool, calm and collected in front of the camera, and just as many also have a pretty decent sense of humour to go with it. Producers should be looking for more ways to utilise the great, humble charm and humour that many rugby league players possess, as it can both improve the quality of the television show, and might also boost the game’s reputation.

Controversy Corner hit our screens again as part of The Matty Johns Show, and its first instalment with walking headline Willie Mason blew me away. The honest and fiery way that Mason and all panel members involved attacked each subject was great to watch. Giving a player like Mason a chance, among other things, to respond to controversial incidents in his career really gave the segment and show another edge. Although I usually have little time for Mason, either on or off the field, I found myself firstly intrigued by his comments, and then I began to agree with many of them.

Combining this with the comforting presence of the host and an opinionated and informed journalist is a recipe for some really decent entertainment. In the interests of both fairness and keeping it fresh, I think featuring a different journalist for each different player is the right way to go. They should also look to ensure the subjects discussed remain varied, including both on-field and off-field issues.

In fact, the only real gripe I have about this segment is its name. I know the weight of history coupled with the subject matters they are discussing suggests that Controversy Corner is a good fit, but I would argue that our great game has had too many negative controversies in recent years, and something as potentially groundbreaking as this skit shouldn’t be associated with such a word. I’m not sure if I could offer any better suggestions, but television stations pay creative minds plenty of coin for things like that, and I’m sure something appropriate can be found.

I guess all of this could be a little premature, and it might well have been a little smarter for me to give the program at least two or three episodes before casting judgment in such a public way. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that many have already made their final decision about the show, and may well never tune in again if they found it not to their tastes. Hell, if I’d missed the screening of Controversy Corner I don’t think I would have bothered with Thursday night television again.
Johns has always been a somewhat controversial figure on television, even ignoring the group sex scandal which enveloped the code last year. Some have been offended by his portrayals of stereotypes, from yobbos to homosexuals, while others have criticised his humour for being too low brow. I think I too have made it more than clear that the likes of Trent the Flight Steward and Reg Reagan generally do little to rouse any interest in my funny bone.

But there is no denying that the bloke has great charisma in front of the cameras, and with a little tweaking his new program could just be what rugby league needs.

746 words

Last edited:

rabs

Staff member
rabs takes it up for the bunnies

A bit of ad lib

The NRL and their predecessors have given us some great advertising campaigns over the last 20 years. It started in 1989 with Tina Turners “What you get is what you see”. The following year and until 1995 her “Simply the Best” commercial wowed us with a catchy and relevant tune backed up by plenty of beefcake (likely this ad was the catalyst for the upsurge in female supporters of the game).

The variation on the Hoodoo Gurus song “What’s my scene”, titled "That's My Team" was used for the 2003 to 2007 seasons with great success.

The following makes use of some classic Aussie advertising campaigns to reflect on a few current events in NRL.

FuiFui MoiMoi has started from the bench in Rounds 1 & 2 and his go forward has been noticeably missed. For the game against Wests Tigers he has been named in the starting line-up.
For Daniel Anderson (sung to the Tooheys ad)
how do you feel... three rounds in and fin-ally you make the call
how do you feel... the pack isn’t going forward so you need a wreck-ing ball
how do you feel... the opponents start the match on fire and you need someone to stand up tall
how do you feel... the tide has turned... and finally your team gets some ball
how do you feel when the big fella blasts his way over the advantage-line
how do you feel... How do you feel?
I feel like a Fui, I feel like a Fui, I feel like a Fui or two
I feel like a Fui, I feel like a Fui, I feel like a Fui don’t you?

Manly have blown big leads in Rounds 1 & 2 to be beaten in the last five minutes of both games. Against Wests they just fell away while against Parramatta a poor ruling severely hurt their chance of victory.
For Des Hasler (sung to the VB ad)
Versus Rd 1:
you can get it when leading
you can get it when your defence is bleeding
you can feel it coming on with about five minutes to go
a hard earned loss thanks to a score by the big balding Brit
and the best NRL Brit is Gareth... Gareth Ellis
Versus Rd 2:
you can get it when ahead
you can get it when the officials are brain dead
you can get it from a missed and blatant forward pass
matter of fact they missed it how?
Desmond bitter.

An obvious one but had to be included after his butt show against Manly
For Nathan Hindmarsh (sung to the Holeproof ad)
One day you're gonna get caught
One day you're gonna get caught
One day you're gonna get caught with your pants UP

Michael Ennis is known as Ennis the Menace due to his niggling ways. He is also a pretty good goal kicker but after having missed four goals from four attempts in Round 1 he has asked to be relieved of goal kicking duties in Round 3 to concentrate on his general play (or sledging?)
For Michael Ennis (sung to the Louie the Fly ad)
Ennis the pest, I’m Ennis the pest
straight from Knights, Dragons, Broncos, to the Dogs
sledging other teams, as I randomly scream
straight from Knights, Dragons, Broncos, to the Dogs
I am the sledge queen and I don’t keep it clean
afraid of no one, except the man with the goal kicking tee
hate that goal kicking tee, not for me

Johnathon Thurston’s future beyond 2010 remains in doubt. He has been linked to Australian and Overseas based Rugby League and Rugby Union clubs. Where will he go? Nobody knows.
For Johnny (based on the Goggomobil ad)
Thurston speaks:
ah bugger, my talks with the Cowboys have broken down
Thurston on the phone to manager:
I have a problem with my contract
Manager:
Contract?
Thurston again:
Contract... C--O....you know what a contract is
Manager:
Contract?
Thurston again:
Contract... C--O... look just get me a deal, but not the Dart, not the Old Dart!

685 words

links to the original ads on video

Tooheys ad

VB ad

Louie the fly ad

Goggomobil ad

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby runs to the line & does a fancy goosestep..

735 words, title to end.

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

The Junkie

My name is Greg, and I’m a recovering leagueaholic.

I first came to these meetings in early 2006 when I realised that I had a problem – I can’t get enough league. This all started back in early 2002 when I found that whenever my team played on a Friday night, I felt empty. I just needed more league in my life.

So I picked another team as my ‘second team’. I started following them every week as well. I even picked up their team flag & a jersey. But then, a dilemma – they played each other on a Friday night, and I was stuck. I needed another hit of league to get me through the weekend.

I chose another team. This seemed to do well; I managed to average out watching one of my teams on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But, this wasn’t enough. Before I knew it I found myself supporting three teams each weekend. And this soon went to four, and to five teams. By the end of the 2003 season, I was supporting all 15 teams in the competition. My tips started to go down the drain – I didn’t know who to tip against, so I started tipping the draw for every game. And then they brought in golden point, which just destroyed me.

Colours & animals took on different meanings – my grass told me the Raiders were better because they were green. I went swimming late one night after a game at Toyota Park, trying to find a shark to cuddle because I was delirious after the game. Every Christmas I wore my Rabbitohs jersey to ensure that I fitted in with yuletide spirit. But it wasn’t the season to be jolly, I felt like I was deserting my other teams, so I used to sleep in a different jersey every night.

I hit my low point back in 2005 when got into Supercoach. I spent 13 hours a day looking at league results, trying to make sure I could lead the 27 different competitions that I was in. I lost my job and my wife left me. And my pet bulldog? Well, he didn’t forgive me for when I forgot to feed him from Thursday to Monday one weekend because I spent the whole weekend watching league, reading the write ups the next day and analysing my Supercoach results. I thought I would cheer myself up by going to a live game, however due to the fact I was out of a job, I could only afford to go to one game, but I couldn’t decide which one – and that’s when I had my breakdown.

My neighbour heard my sobbing going all night and came to check on me. He found me naked, curled up in the shower, cuddling a Steeden.

This was the wake up call I needed. I had to get clean, but how could I do it without support? So I made a call to my wife, and asked her if I could get some money. I took a bus down to Melbourne for a two week ‘cold turkey’ experience.

The first two days were hell. I spent my time in a cold sweat, trying to find any hint of league, be it in a newspaper, in a sports store or on TV. There was none to be found. I tried to substitute my league fix with AFL, but that was worse – not only did it not give me my fix, I was so bored with the sport that I realised that just one small game would be better than a whole season of AFL. So I made the call, I picked my initial team, went home and got my life back together. I washed the blue & white paint off my dog, my wife came back and I found a new job – but best of all, I love my one team again.

For those of you sitting there in this circle listening to me speak, you have realised that you too have an addiction to league and I hope that my story has inspired you to make a positive change in your life. Don’t let league consume you, enjoy it as a pastime and remember – league is good, but there is more to life.

Like beer.

Thank you all for listening tonight, now, if you’ll excuse me – I need to go and attend my AA meeting.

Ridders

Coach
Backing up from his debut appearance, Ridders is learning that it ain't all just money and fame

"This sh*t is hard work"

673 words right beween the eyes - OFW

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

:shock:

League Forgotten

juggernaught.jpg

Uncle: “So, do you play any sports in Australia”

Me: “Yes I do uncle, I play a game called Rugby League”.

Uncle: “Oh Rugby…Rugby, I have seen this game on TV”.

Me: “No uncle, not Rugby, Rugby League”.

Uncle: “Yes Yes, I have seen Rugby, it is on ESPN here”.

Me: “No no, that is a different sport uncle. Rugby is one sport and Rugby League is another sport”.

Uncle: “I told you, I know all about Rugby, it is a very rough sport. There is a lot of maramari. I always see a lot of people diving on each other and fighting for the ball. It is on ESPN all the time”.

Me: *shaking head* “Uncle that game you are talking about is not the game that I am talking about”.

Random cousin interjecting: “Are you talking about grid-iron then”?

The above sample represents a typical exchange I will have with my overseas relatives whenever I try and explain to them the sport of Rugby League.

While it is a relatively simplistic argument, that specific exchange is exactly why our game needs to distance itself from the Rugby name.

It is only on travelling overseas that the true discrepancy between International Rugby and League can be assessed. To many, my relatives included, the great game doesn't even exist. Whenever the word Rugby League is mentioned to them, the League portion is forgotten and the word Rugby automatically triggers recognition of events like the “RBS 6 nations” and “The Heineken Cup”, both shown extensively on ESPN internationally.

A couple of years ago when Russell Crowe took his Rabbitoh's to play a game in the United States, he went on a significant PR blitz praising the virtues of Rugby League on numerous media platforms. Many fans, understandably so, we're discussing how this was as a great sign for the future of Rugby League and how it would give our game a presence in the sporting market juggernaut that exists in the USA. I discussed this with a friend and both of our reactions went along the lines of;

“Are you serious...If anything all this does is give more publicity to the game of Rugby Union in America”.

The fifteen man game has a surprisingly decent foundation in the USA and while it is definitely not among the mainstream sporting landscape, it does have a nice niche in the American sports fraternity. The same rules that applied with my relatives earlier also apply here with the yanks. Mention the word Rugby League and League is automatically forgotten.

Living in Australia where League is easily the dominant of the two, we tend to underestimate the power of the Rugby brand name internationally. The word Rugby will always belong to the fifteen man game. There is nothing our game can do to change this. Now we can either just live with this and forever be cast in their shadow on the international stage. Or we can take a chance and try something different.

Now to get back to my earlier point, If we are serious about the global expansion of our game, the name Rugby League needs to change. The word Rugby needs to go altogether. Simple as that. If our game is going to expand internationally, the game is going to have to distinguish itself from Union, not confuse potential fans between the two.

What we need is a name that typifies everything about the great game. A name that captures the eclectic nature of our sport. Rugby cannot be a part of it while League by itself says little.

How about the Justice League? (I kid, I kid)

X-League?

League football?

Now granted all my idea's are terrible. The point is that a discussion is being made. We all believe that our game, the great game, is a good enough product to warrant international expansion, and lots of it. Wouldn't it be justice if we had a name that fit the bill?

Hey, maybe Justice League doesn't sound so bad after all..

:shock:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dizzy from the helicopter ride, Timmah brushes off his Bluebags jersey, shines the boots and runs on to the park post-haste.

Timmah, #2, Newtown Bluebags
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

Reverse Psychology

If you’ll allow a little self-indulgence, I’d like to take credit on a number of fronts for Canterbury’s victory on Sunday afternoon against the supposed might of the Sydney Roosters.

You see, I spent ten days, conveniently placed at the start of the rugby league season, perched out on a ship in the middle of the South Pacific. “HEAVEN!” Some might say...

Not so for a league tragic like me.

As an avid follower of both Canterbury and rugby league, two weeks away from the competition that I live and breathe was torture. This was exacerbated by the fact the NRL in its wisdom had scheduled the matches between my club and both the Newcastle Knights and St George Illawarra Dragons in the first two weeks, rendering me powerless to attend – how dare they! I refreshed and refreshed using the ships’ dodgy internet access to keep track of live scores – and as the results showed, heartbreak inevitably followed.

I returned to a beautiful sunrise in Australia the morning after Canterbury was taken apart by the Dragons. It would be a full week before I would see my team in action. Sure, I managed to attend a few games involving Newcastle and the Dragons in between, but nothing gives the butterflies, or the pleasure or pain quite like settling into that seat at ANZ Stadium and watching the blue-and-white run onto the park.

As any fan does, I spent the week publicly engaging in reverse psychology. Telling anyone who I could that it was the Roosters’ game for the taking, that the Bulldogs were simply too disinterested to engineer a win and that the club just wasn’t set to be a force in 2010. I even tipped the Roosters in my tipping competitions just to make a point – earning ridicule from the girlfriend, family and friends that I supposedly didn’t have faith in my team. I argued it was a win-win situation – I either get tipping points (which I was secretly resigned to losing), or my club wins.

I’m happy to report it all worked. Perfectly, in fact. We triumphed on Sunday by 60-14 over the Roosters – Josh Morris crossing four times to overtake his twin brother at the Dragons, Brett, as top tryscorer in the competition after three rounds. A team that had scored just five tries over two weeks – and kicked only one goal – suddenly turned into an attacking machine which the Roosters defence couldn’t handle. Any excuse, be it the heat or the “rub of the green”, doesn’t change the fact the Bulldogs crossed for a smashing twelve tries over the course of the game, against a team that had previously been the NRL’s best in attack, scoring a huge 80 points over the opening two weeks.

As for game day, I walked in to ANZ Stadium halfway through a haphazard Toyota Cup match which ultimately ended up a defence-free 40-all draw between the same two clubs who would later contest first grade. A hot afternoon was already brewing and I was slowly regretting wearing a jersey in favour of a t-shirt. All the discomfort and worry of the week before, whether genuine or not, instilled a strange sense of optimism.

The game kicked off and as Roosters five-eighth Braith Anasta put boot-to-ball, I turned to our friends in the seats behind and said “you watch, we’ll drop it from the kickoff”. Being at the opposite end of the field, I couldn’t initially see what had happened – but the whistle blew. My heart initially sank before I saw the blue-and-white jerseys sprint toward the halfway line. What I had thought was an in-goal error was in fact Anasta kicking it dead on the full and a penalty to the Bulldogs on halfway. On the way to the halfway line Michael Ennis and Nate Myles came to blows and from that moment, the thought that we’d become easybeats vanished.

The Bulldogs began scoring and seemingly couldn’t stop. One of the friends behind predicted four or five tries for Josh Morris (just so he could overtake Brett). Every little thing just seemed to come together – and even after the Roosters mounted a mini comeback just after the halftime break, it just felt like our day had finally come.

Of course, I’d like to take credit solely for being back in Australia – but a force much deeper was at work here – reverse psychology. Try it this weekend or next – it might just work for you too.

747 words between the stars.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For referee's attention:

Bluebags Replacement
Drew-Sta has opted for more time in the tub.
ozbash is laced up and ready to run on.

ozbash

Referee
The 'Bash ties the velcro fasteners on the boots, throws the walking stick aside and hits the field.

All that glitters..

is not gold, apparently.

Flying into Tullamarine Airport in Melbourne, I look out the window of the Airbus and marvel at the sheer size of the city illuminated by its night lights. Coming from a country whose total population was equalled by this place created an unreal feeling for this country boy. Friendly bunch though, wasn't too much harassment through Customs, a bit of good natured trans Tasman banter and joking. As it should be, I say.

We pick up our rental car and head for the city, luckily a GPS navigational device showed the way for these kiwi visitors and the local cab drivers were very helpful as well. We have a couple of different intersection rules and the cabbies all seemed to recognise kiwi motorists and gave a variety of helpful and obviously friendly waves and gesticulations as we made our way into town.

What struck me most about metropolitan Melbourne was the grubbiness of the place. The air was thick with exhaust fumes, cooking smells and other odours my sensitive nose couldn't identify, rubbish littered streets that in only a week's time would accommodate one of the world greatest motor racing events, F1.

We had visited the city of Melbourne almost exactly a year earlier to watch the first round of the 2009 NRL season. The local team, the Storm hosted our team, the Warriors in a clash that I shall always remember (and it wasn't for the footy). The game was played at Telstra Stadium on the day the mercury created new records on the thermometer. 42 degrees during the day and in the evening during the game it remained a constant 39 Celsius. Definitely grubby weather.

Always amazes me how the lesser sporting cultures of Victoria feel threatened by the dominant code, AFL. I think that Melburnians are lucky to have such a wide choice of sport to watch or participate in. The facilities are first class (or better), the highlight of last years trip was to tour the MCG and view close-up the legendary Laver Stadium and Olympic Pool complex.

I note that next year, Victoria will also be the proud hosts of a new Super 15 rugby union franchise. This must surely create terror in the hearts of the rival (?) codes. A new player in the race for the gate dollar. The way AFL has the region sown up, I doubt they have anything to worry about. Rugby league might though. Union is a similar game (you cant pass to the bloke in front of you) and I bet that SANZAR will promote the game to the max. Interestingly, the new union franchise (do they have a name yet?) will share the same stadium as their mortal enemy, the Melbourne Storm!

This will be a case of strange bedfellows, the Storm in their grubby purple strip and with their grubby little fullback, Billy, will be desperate to out do union in the numbers of buttocks on bleachers. Super 15 will become the new catchphrase in the trendy Melbourne bars. It could be aided by the backing of the Melbourne media who would rather union was the new competitor in town to the glamorous game of Aussie Rules. Free to Air TV don't give a stuff. It's going to be very interesting, will the NRL back the Storm, will they support the franchise and its fans and promote them in a way that will match the impending hype you can expect from the SANZAR corner ?

To be quite honest, I don't think the Storm has a hope in hell. A combined assault by two rivals could see the club forced to re-locate?? Who knows.

Anyway, speaking of a grubby city, we were over there for a family wedding. Had my 85-year-old mother-in-law in tow. Went and did the shopping thing at this huge centre called Chadstone, or something similar. Course, being kiwis, we got lost in the car park and whilst searching for the Magna, the poor old biddy gets tangled up in some lazy bastards plastic supermarket bag, goes arse over catastrophe and breaks her hip!

Took her to the local A+E Dept and what an eye opener. Blood everywhere, in the consultation rooms, on the treatment walls (and ceilings!!), the floors were black with a mixture of body fluids and grime. Never seen anything like it. Poor old soul is still over there, rest of us couldn't get on the flight home quick enough.

750 words

Bumble

First Grade
*Bumble for the rabbitohs*

40 years in the desert

I’ve come to terms with the fact that South Sydney Football Club will, every time they step foot on the rugby league field, destroy a little bit of a my soul. Round 1 this year was no exception – getting thrashed by a team that we were widely expected to beat. The years 2000 to 2006 were just one horrific car crash after another, the brief highlights including:

• Being re-instated to the NRL
  • Winning on the the last kick of the game against the Tigers in 2003
  • Thrashing the defending premiers 30-6 in 2004
  • NOT getting the wooden spoon in 2005
Aaaand that’s it. Really. From 2007-09, things started to pick up, and perhaps the 40 years in the desert were coming to an end. We made a finals series in 2007, won a fair few games in 2008 and 2009, coming nowhere close to the wooden spoon. What’s my point? It’s that through every soul crushing defeat, the fans (well, the real ones) have persevered. The disappointment of the first two rounds will be washed away once we grab a few more wins.

My point? It’s that we were the basketcase of the NRL for 6 seasons. But the torch has truly been passed, to the Sharks – coincidentally the first team we’ve beaten this season. I was at Shark Park in the pouring rain, watching us win in a canter, 30-8. The frightening thing? We really didn’t play well. Cronulla were just a terrible excuse for a footy team.

As a whole, I don’t mind the Sharks organisation. The fanbase is pretty well established, and has kept their crowds hovering around 10,000 for the past couple of years, even with the dire on field performances, the off-field scandals and being on the verge of breaking the record for most consecutive losses in the NRL era. Will it get better? I hope so. Regardless, the fans have stuck with this rabble through the darkest days.

It was clear where the problems in their team were. I was at the game with a couple of mates, one of whom was a Sharks fan. As we watched Albert Kelly drop his 57th bomb for the game, he explained to me “Oh he’s not our fullback. Our fullback’s playing in the centres”. From the man that the Sunday Telegraph labels ‘The Game’s Best Thinker’, Supercoach Stuart, this seems bizarre. Dropping Scott Porter and putting a time-tested failure at halfback in John Morris made even less sense.

Then you had their options inside the Souths 20m line. I watched as we defending an entire set on our own line, almost too easily. During this set I noticed that Paul Gallen, their best player, touched the ball zero times during this attack. How can a team improve when you have 5 shots at the opposition tryline, and you don’t give your best player the ball?

I don’t want to pretend like I know better than Ricky Stuart, but when you have the key positions of 1 and 7 being filled by utility men rather than specialist playmakers, an aging five-eighth and a very average hooker, things are always going to struggling on the attacking side of things. That said, it’s not like things can’t turn around as quickly as they’ve gone bad.

The Sharks were a finals team a few years ago – minor premiers a decade ago, and, even though they didn’t win any premierships, were still considered one of the competition heavyweights. As long as there’s still over 10,000 people cramming into Shark Park on a rainy Monday night, and players like Paul Gallen and Anthony Tupou, there’s no reason they can’t become a finals team again.

So given the parallels between my beloved Rabbitohs and the Sharks, it’s not hard for me to empathise. 40 years without success, the butt of so many jokes and too much dead weight on the playing roster are the main similarities. That, and the Shark Army rivals the Burrow in terms of feverish support.

Now today, the signing of Tim Smith was finally announced. With him comes a player who, with all his problems, can win football games for the Sharks.

So, this ‘culture of failure’ that’s festering within the Cronulla club at this point in time could wash away as quickly as it came – I just hope they have a world famous movie star to bail them out like we did.

------

741 words

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags

Spinning the yarn
prince04_100331.jpg

Over the weekend, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph published an 'exclusive' report of an alleged scam involving the Gold Coast Titans, their captain Scott Prince and a local building contractor, Alex Simpson.

Simpson claims he agreed to build a $400,000 home for Prince as part of a sponsorship deal with his company, Simcorp Developments & Constructions Pty Ltd. The allegation being that this is an undisclosed payment in breach of the salary cap rules.

Headed up with words like 'salary cap rort' and 'scandal', the article described the revelations as 'explosive', the writers spin-doctoring their way before stopping short of damning the Titans skipper to hell. Of course, the writers and their editors were cautious enough to subtlety remind readers that these were still just allegations, but only after a less than subtle beat-up that included an absurd comparison with the Bulldogs salary cap rort of 2002.

But there's more to this than meets the eye. The accuser is a disgruntled contractor. At the core of the dispute is an unfinished building in Robina, 'The Titans Centre of Excellence'. Simpson claims that the Titans have reneged on a deal. The Titans say Simcorp have been paid as agreed.

Reading between the lines, it seems the issue has less to do with the salary cap, and more to with an argument over a construction contract.

As is typically the case with unresolved disputes, there are two sides to the story.

The Gold Coast Bulletin put on a different spin. As you would expect, they sided with their local football team. Their article had much the same information and was equally careful to remember that these are just allegations, but the sensationalism angle did a U-turn in virtually painting the accuser as the villain.

newsclip_100327.jpg

But there's another twist in this tale. The Daily Telegraph and The Gold Coast Bulletin are both News Limited publications and believe it or not, the same writers had a hand in both articles. So how can the Sydney publication post opinions that on the surface appear to back the accuser, while the Gold Coast publication appear to back the accused? Well of course it's all about local content and selling advertising space. At the end of the day, the editors didn't want to poop in their own nest.

Nevertheless, it does leave a question mark over the validity of the claims. If opposing views are imprinted on the reader by the same publisher, how can we know which one is telling the full story? Indeed, the Sydney paper left out sections of the comments and in particular a quote made by Prince in denying the claims.

There are numerous examples of the media making the news rather than reporting on the news. In fairness, in this case there is some attempt to research the topic. But by the time it hit the news-stands the race was on to grab attention by attempting to form the reader's opinion. And just in case there was any doubt beforehand, the media circus officially rolled into town this week when, in true Gold Coast fashion, Simpson took a lie detector test. You guessed it - he did so at the request of the newspaper.

At this stage, all we have are some burning questions:

1. Did Scott Prince try to get a house for free?
2. Have the Titans tried to breach the salary cap?
3. Are Simcorp trying to get something for nothing?
4. Is Alex Simpson telling porkies?

Answer: I don't know. Some of us are still trying to make up our own minds.

Simpson is adamant and says he has email proof that the Titans were trying to breach the salary cap.

"The whole arrangement was to keep Scott at the Gold Coast and to get around the salary cap." Simpson said.

Meanwhile, Titans boss Michael Searle is just as adamant in denying the claims.

"Simcorp have been involved in litigation against the Titans for the past several weeks, and these allegations are merely the latest in a long line of incorrect assertions." Said Searle.

"We have opened our books to the NRL and welcome any investigation of this latest complaint."

Thankfully, the NRL is investigating.

But someone isn't telling the truth and someone is defaming the other. When the NRL findings are released, it'll be interesting to see who fires the next salvo of litigation.

This little saga is far from over.

| 736 words |
Ref: Images scanned from The Daily Telegraph and The Gold Coast Bulletin.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan82 for the Rabbitohs; still soaring on a high following the Warriors thumping of the Broncos...

~~

Tale of McKinnon

6089_121955028555_676293555_2297404_7512169_n.jpg

If there is one thing that makes Warriors fullback Wade McKinnon stand out among the rest of the fullbacks in the NRL, it is his colorful temper along with his record with the on-field match officials. This also goes hand in hand with his drive and determination to win and his excellent support play with his forwards as well as in broken field play.

He is the type of player to wear his heart on his sleeve; he’ll put his thoughts out there to everyone and will refuse to take a backward step. He is one of a rare breed of players in this day and age with that attitude, and it is an attitude that is sorely missed in professional sport.

Wade’s temper and antics with the on-field referees first started to surface during his first year with the Warriors. Before then there was no apparent history; however with the type of player he is his personality would always rise to the occasion.

So let’s rewind the clock and go back to season 2007, in Round no: 7 when the Warriors and Rabbitohs came head to head and where it all began to unfold for Wade and his ‘best friends’.

At the 60th minute of the match, with the Rabbitohs throwing hot potato football around in the Warriors end of the field they crossed for what looked like a possible try. Wade made his intentions of what he thought about the scene that had unfolded, clearly though not showing too much emotion at this stage but nonetheless his temper was simmering. He’d received a caution from the main referee, Jason Robinson with regards to

‘Not speaking to him’ as well as ‘the touchies’.

In the 72nd minute the Warriors then got the ball following on from the Rabbitohs completing their set. At the halfway line Wade received the ball and carted it for a hit up and was caught in a three man tackle. Two of the Rabbitohs players held onto him, with one placing their hand between the legs and proceeded to lift him up. Only moments later Wade ended up on the ground on his head and shoulders. Furious at the no-call for the penalty he got up to play the ball, yelled and pointed at the referee. Nathan Fein at dummy half knocked the ball on and was called for the knock on. Wade vented his displeasure with regards to the tackle immediately to the referee. The response from Robinson was:

‘You put yourself in the position.’

This comment undoubtedly ignited further range in Wade, and his frustration grew and a few minutes later they clashed again. The Rabbitohs gained control of the ball and headed deep into Warriors territory. It was another case of football madness with the Bunnies as they threw the ball from side to side, and before too long Wade and Robinson got caught up when the Bunnies aimed their attack down the right-hand side of the field (left side from the Warriors view point). Wade rushed towards that end of the field to help assist with the defense but unfortunately for him Robinson was back-tracking with the Warriors, Robinson unaware of anything else. Wade though saw him in his view albeit briefly. They were immediately headed for a collision course. Wade in his hurry to get there before the Rabbitohs attacking raid interfered with Robison by pushing him right out of his way. From all reports touching the referee is not permitted at any stage during a game.

Robinson immediately called a halt to the match to review the Rabbitohs play, at the same time he made a comment to Wade following from their collision:

‘Mate I got bright yellow on, if you can’t see me to get around me bad luck'

There was another verbal exchange between the two of them about the very same thing, again Wade voicing his opinion of what went wrong, the referee being in the way and just more frustration that had slowly built up as their meetings became more frequent. Robinson had a chat with Warriors captain Steve Price about Wade;

‘Having a go at him’ and he (Robinson that is) wasn’t going to cop anymore abuse.

That would be the last meeting between fullback and referee for the match Wade put aside his conflicts to help the Warriors to a final minute victory. Nonetheless it stamped the arrival of Wade McKinnon: The Official Firebrand fullback of the NRL.

~~

748 words between '~' lines according to the official word counter.

Last edited:
After spending the week on the bench for the red and green last week, Marshall Magic has spent the lead up to week 2 pulling out the splinters. However, this minor set back does not stoop him making a late charge for the bunnies
--------
A Day in the Life of the NRL Player: How we’re supposed to see it
In recent years we have seen NRL players come under scrutiny for off field behaviour, many of these incidents have been incredibly minor, and the media has pressured clubs into a knee-jerk reaction to slap the player at fault with a massive fine for something very little. Granted, some of these incidents are of a very serious nature, and this in no way is a stab at such incidents, but even when these stories come up, we get told how it is commonplace in rugby league. So, based on what we are lead to believe, this is a tongue in cheek look at what a day in the life of your average NRL player is like.

10:30am, wake up in a puddle of own vomit, in a teammates back yard, with a huge hangover, he walks inside, crawls over a few other teammates in a similar predicament. The events of the previous night are discussed, but the details are all wrong as nobody knows exactly what happened
10:45am, drive home drunk, to prepare for training. A stop off at Maccas on the way home is done for some breakfast, and also to try and cure that hangover
11:00am, rock up at training still with that hangover, not to worry, it’s not a huge session, just a bit of fun, nothing that can be classified as work
11:20am, after kicking the ball with mates, and having a few shots at field goal, training is now over, and so all the boys hang out at the park for some beers
12 noon, after demolishing five cases of beer between the team, now nothing is left, so something else needs to be done to pass the time. A group of hot young girls are around, so maybe they can be ogled
1:00pm, after abusing the girls for a while, they aren’t going to get any, so maybe they should all just go home, irrelevant of how much they’ve had to drink
1:30pm, after a quick stop off at the pie shop on the way, the player is now home, and watching some TV, I don’t know what, but probably jelly wrestling, or something else degrading to women
2:30pm, after an hour of doing nothing, the player is hungry again, a quick trip to Coles takes place, where three BBQ chickens and a kilo of sausages are purchased
3:30pm, the said items above are cooked and eaten, so the player now watches some more TV, now though it is probably a Bruce Lee movie, where they can learn some cool new fighting moves to test out at the pub
5:25pm, the captain calls, team bonding session at the pub tonight, important that everyone is there. Any no-shows will be spending the week in NSW Cup, the whole team obliges
5:40pm, the player makes a call to a team mate to see if he’s got the “stuff” for tonight’s team session
6:00pm, the player drives out to the pub, and meets up with the boys outside.
6:30pm, after getting a kebab from the guy in the car park it’s time for another drinking session
9:00pm, after all seventeen guys in the team have shouted their round, the fun can begin, and the poor little guys sitting at their own table, minding their own business become the targets
9:30pm, after bashing those poor innocent young men for no apparent reason, the next team activity can begin, the subject now is a table with three young girls
10:00pm, after trying hard for 3 hours, the team has convinced the 3 girls to come back to one of the players homes, for a nice evening, the girls are completely oblivious to what will happen next
10:30pm, the player, now at a teammates house, and his team ask the girls for some group sex, the offer is declined. However the teammate bought the “stuff” for a reason, which is put into use
10:31pm, the games begin, as teammates take turns showing off their hole hitting abilities
11:30pm, after a hectic hour, the girls are thrown out the front door, the players continue to have a few more beers, before collapsing at different places around the house and backyard
Midnight, all players are asleep or passed out, the night is over, and tomorrow the cycle will repeat again

-----------------

Word count say 750

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks to the clock on the wall.

Well played everyone and excellent work from all 10 combatants. A 5v5 match and a ripper to boot. :clap:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Agreed Willow will be a good match, congrats to both teams for the 5 posts, I'm especially proud of my fellow Bunnies team mates, since we want to make this year a year for being consistent.

Happy Easter everyone! Enjoy the break

antonius

Coach
BLUEBAGS v SOUTHS

Souths

miccle

Uncontroversial inclusion
746 words
An interesting look at Matty Johns new TV show. The writer offers some constructive criticism on some segments, and how they could be improved. He comments on the parts he liked and why he liked them. I didn’t watch the show but this piece has inspired me to check it out.
Some long sentences in the piece made it breathless reading at times, but enjoyable all the same.
Score 87

rabs
A bit of ad lib
680 Words
I think it’s very difficult to come up with your own take of existing rhyming adds. The writer has succeeded here in spots, but generally it missed with me. A for effort though because it would have taken some time to put together. Not sure what happened with the word count, I tried a couple of times but came up with 680.
Score 82

Bumble
40 years in the desert
741 Words
A Souths fan compares the plight of the Sharks with that of his own team in the recent past. Makes some valid observations, some small grammatical errors, and a very long sentence spoilt the piece a little.
Score 84

byrne_rovelli_fan82
Tale of McKinnon
748 Words
A piece on Wade McKinnon.
The writer looks at the game he feels saw the arrival of a more aggressive player in Wade McKinnon. Some spelling errors.
Score 83

Marshall Magic
A Day in the Life of the NRL Player: How we’re supposed to see it
751 Words (Official Word Counter)
The writer takes a very exaggerated look at what a day may be like in the life of a player, given what we are told they get up to.
Thankfully I think we are nowhere near what is portrayed here. I got 751 words on the word counter, so unfortunately you will receive a word count penalty.
Score 83 minus 2 points

Bluebags

Muzby
The Junkie
735 Words
Loved it, funny, and cleverly written.
Score 88

Ridders
League Forgotten
673 Words
I’ve experienced the same reactions as you when talking about the game to people from overseas.
The writer raises the subject of changing the name of the game, and offers some valid reasons why it should at least be looked at. Thought provoking piece. Nicely put together.
Score 85

Timmah
Reverse Psychology
747 Words
The writer tells us how he used reverse psychology to get his team up after two defeats to start the season. Some amusing parts in what is basically a run down of his teams three games this season.
Score 83

Ozbash
All that glitters..
746 Words
Read it three times. Very, very funny read, (I do hope it was tongue in cheek) Melbourne is a fantastic city. Again I had a different word count? Not sure if the official counter is playing up.
Score 90

Willow
Spinning the yarn
736 Words
The writer examines the Scott Prince salary cap story. He points out how the same writer reports the story differently in two newspapers.
This sort of reporting is all too common, and this piece is a good example of how easily the media can be found out. I would be very surprised if this story didn’t end up on the ABCs media watch. Good reading
Score 87

Result

Bluebags 433 defeated Souths 417

POTM Ozbash

Overall the Bags had a good mix of amusing pieces, coupled with some thought provoking ones, that saw them score a fairly convincing win. Chin up though Souths, five posts in, but couldn't quite match them on this occasion.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref for another quick piece of marking.

Great work fellow baggers and congrats to Ozbash on the POTM. :thumn

Thanks Souths and best of luck for the rest of the season.

Who runs the Salary Cap? Better check those Bluebags salaries.

Good run from all ten, ozbash, mate, one of your finest.

Latest posts