What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 QLD Team

Hench

Juniors
1. Billy Slater
2. Greg Inglis
3. Willie Tonga
4. Brent Tate
5. Darius Boyd
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Jonathon Thurston
8. Petero Civoniceva
9. Cameron Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Nate Myles

14. Matt Scott
15. Dave Taylor
16. Ben Hannant
17. Matt Gillett

Selections:

Most of the team picks itself. I have Tonga defending in the centres, Inglis on the wing and then swapping them over in attack like '09 Game 3. Hodges or Tate at right centre was a toos up and I went with Tate because I trust him more in defence. Hopefully they dont pick Tate on the wing as I have little faith in him under the high ball.

I'm sure some will pick Dallas Johnson in the side and he'll probably get picked but our backrow gets more go forward especially with Thaiday and Myles there. Thurston, Harrison and Inglis have a good combination on the left.

I haven't picked Cronk on the bench because his defence isnt up to scratch if he's replacing Smith at hooker. It was all and good in the first 2 games when he had big margins but in the 3rd game it showed IMO. For an out of the box pick I would have chosen Nathan Friend. Can handle the workload in the middle of the ruck and can get out from dummy half.

icewind

Juniors
ok, i'll bite. Hodges if fit with games under his belt, an automatic selection. Johnson will be there. No way Inglis will be wing unless he loses a ton of weight over the off season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tuqiri was deemed to have served his penance for deserting league. He showed he still has the pace and his size and experience would help us out definitely. Perhaps Boyd to the right wing? Though, they'll probably go with Tate on the right.

hellteam

First Grade
1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Willie Tonga
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Jonathon Thurston
8. Petero Civoneceva
9. Cameron Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Cooper Cronk
15. Matt Scott
16. Dave Taylor
17. Matt Gillett

They will change the team in the least possible way. I can see Gillett maybe getting a spot on the bench, and possibly Dallas Johnson somewhere. But that's it.

Of course there will be injuries though so it's hard to say at this point.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Sorry drongos fans, but Matt Gillett hasn't come close to proving he's ready for Origin yet. He's got some apprenticeship to serve yet to get into this almighty team.

There will be minimal changes from this years outfit. I'm a fan of either Tuqiri or Tate coming in for Folau as both have adequate attributes to handle Origin. Costigan has also proved his worth and still deserves to be picked. He's filling in at front row now which only adds to his value. Hodges will have his work cut out for him. If he's in anything but sparkling form and showing no signs of injury, then he should not be picked.

If Petero decides to play on, it will create quite the headache for selectors WRT Hannant, as he's now gone behind Scott and Shillo. An amazing situation I didn't see happening.

All fit and firing:

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Willie Tonga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Lote Tuqiri/Brent Tate
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Johnathon Thurston
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Nate Myles
13. Ash Harrison

14. Cooper Cronk
15. David Shillington
16. David Taylor
17. Neville Costigan

As an aside, if either of Locky or Thurston was injured I would be bringing Prince in to start, leaving Cronk on the bench.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think they will select this:
1 Slater
2 Boyd
3 Inglis
4 Hodges
5 Tonga (pref Tuquri)
6 Lockyer (pref Prince, Cronk, JT)
7 Thurston
8 Petero
9 SMith
10 Hannant
11 Myles
12 Thaiday
13 Dallas Johnson (will displace Costigan, made more sense to start him and bench Harrisson for mine).

14 Cronk
15 Harrison
16 Shillington
17 Scott
18 Taylor

Prop situation is easy for mine; play 4 ACTUAL props.
Pretty easy being a QLD selector. Could see Tate, Prince, Tuquri covering backline injuries.

Didgi

Taylor over Harrison. Depending on form Tonga, Hodges and Tuqiri/Tate interchangeable there. Not sure about Johnson straight back in. Depends on form again. Costigan definitely out, if not for Johnson for Parker/Stagg/Bolton (yea, I know lol)/Te'o.

Fullback: Slater; Boyd
Wings: Boyd; Tuqiri; Tate; Yow Yeh
Centres: Tonga; Hodges; Inglis
Halves: Thurston; Lockyer; Prince; Cronk
Props: Scott; Civoniceva; Hannant; Shillington
SR+Lk: Myles; Taylor; Harrison; Johnson; Parker

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
First, NSW would have to get into the QLD 20.

Second, Gordon is hardly a man mountain.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Taylor over Harrison. Depending on form Tonga, Hodges and Tuqiri/Tate interchangeable there. Not sure about Johnson straight back in. Depends on form again. Costigan definitely out, if not for Johnson for Parker/Stagg/Bolton (yea, I know lol)/Te'o.

Fullback: Slater; Boyd
Wings: Boyd; Tuqiri; Tate; Yow Yeh
Centres: Tonga; Hodges; Inglis
Halves: Thurston; Lockyer; Prince; Cronk
Props: Scott; Civoniceva; Hannant; Shillington
SR+Lk: Myles; Taylor; Harrison; Johnson; Parker

Parker over Thaiday?

Surely a typo!

Talanexor

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tuqiri
6. Thurston
7. Prince
8. Civinoceva
9. Smith
10. Shillington
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Johnson

14. Cronk
15. Harrison
16. Scott
17. Hannant

18. Costigan (Taylor hasn't proven anything at prop, and he's not mobile enough to defend in the backrow at Origin level IMO)

I'm tipping Lockyer to announce his retirement after the 4 nations. Cronk is still the best utility available to the maroons, so Prince comes straight into the side.

DeeJ

Bench
Good side Talenexor but I don't think Lockyer will retire, at the end of Origin 3 he seemed keen to play on.

Also I would start Harrison and put Myles on the bench. Myles has more impact and can play prop or in the backrow so he's the perfect bench guy.

Talanexor

Juniors
DeeJ, don't you think having both Harrison and Johnson in the starting side would leave our starting backrow a little short on grunt?

I don't really rate Harrison as much as most other QLDers though, so you could be right.

isaiah

Bench
1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Willie Tonga
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Jonathon Thurston
8. Petero Civoneceva
9. Cameron Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Cooper Cronk
15. Matt Scott
16. Dave Taylor
17. Matt Gillett

They will change the team in the least possible way. I can see Gillett maybe getting a spot on the bench, and possibly Dallas Johnson somewhere. But that's it.

Of course there will be injuries though so it's hard to say at this point.

it beats me why the first 3 teams in this thread had tonga, especially on the wing?

he only has made a few teams when we were not at full strength.
tate, inglis, hodges and boyd are our top 4 three-quarters

Didgi

Hodges brings a magnificent running from dummy half game, with an average of 2m per run, and cool head needed for origin :p. Here's the situation - if NSW pick a sensible side, Tonga will be there. If they pick Creagh, we need Hodges.

It'll go down to form imo. Tonga has been in great form this year while Hodges hasn't been on the park.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
You've really got to watch out for Broncos fans making a mockery of these threads don't you? Completely blinded by their own arrogance to notice the contribution of Willie Tonga to Queensland last two series victories.

The notion that Hodges could just walk back into the side after so long out and prior to that being in ordinary form, is just ludicrous. He's got so much to prove before even being considered.

Willie Tonga, if in reasonable form in the opening rounds should and will be picked.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
1. BILLY SLATER
2. BRENT TATE
3. GREG INGLIS
4. WILLIE TONGA
5. DARIUS BOYD
6. DARREN LOCKYER (c)
7. JOHNATHAN THURSTON
8. MATTHEW SCOTT
9. CAMERON SMITH
10.PETERO CIVONICEVA
11. NATE MYLES
12. SAM THAIDAY
13. ASHLEY HARRISON
14. COOPER CRONK
15. DAVID SHILLINGTON
16. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
17. DAVID TAYLOR
18. DALLAS JOHNSON/BEN HANNANT

Exact same as the last game except Tate in for Folau. I really want Hannant and maybe DJ in there but the loyalty rule won't allow it.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
1. BILLY SLATER
2. BRENT TATE
3. GREG INGLIS
4. WILLIE TONGA
5. DARIUS BOYD
6. DARREN LOCKYER (c)
7. JOHNATHAN THURSTON
8. MATTHEW SCOTT
9. CAMERON SMITH
10.PETERO CIVONICEVA
11. NATE MYLES
12. SAM THAIDAY
13. ASHLEY HARRISON
14. COOPER CRONK
15. DAVID SHILLINGTON
16. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
17. DAVID TAYLOR
18. DALLAS JOHNSON/BEN HANNANT

Exact same as the last game except Tate in for Folau. I really want Hannant and maybe DJ in there but the loyalty rule won't allow it.

Not a bad effort, for a broncos fan ;-).