What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 ROUND 1: Titans -V- Dragons

Jesbass

First Grade
Gold Coast Titans -V- St George Dragons

2010gco-main.jpg
-V-
2010stg-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 2 reserves for the visiting team, + 3 reserves for the home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 13th March 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Wednesday 23rd March 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Jesbass
Venue: Skilled Park
gold_coast_skilled1.jpg

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
After safely negotiating an off-season peppered with natural disasters, here come the 2011 Titans.

1. Amadean
Big Pete
tits&tans
11. Titanic
13. TITs ANonymous

Bench
2. Tittoolate
7. Titan Uranus
8. bgdc

dubopov

Coach
The Mighty Dragons team to meet the Titans is:-

dubopov (c)
murphyscreek (vc)
st linnane
jason maher
hornbyslilhottie

bench

DragonzRule
Dragon Punk

Last edited:

St. Linnane

First Grade
In the interest of getting the show on the road, St. Linnane takes the kick off and quietly goes about the business of the first hit up:

746 OWC
--------
The Office Nightmare

For the first time in a number of years I have joined a new company. I came from a company where on Friday and Monday most conversations were rugby league related. There was work tipping competitions, yes plural, depending on your betting stake; there were organised fantasy leagues, in fact one was so big it had two divisions with promotion and relegation; you sledged work mates based on how their team went on the weekend, their supported team as well as their fantasy team; and you took great satisfaction in seeing some nuffy sent off, knowing the impact it had on a particular fantasy teams chances of success. I believe one former work mate still needs to breathe into a paper bag when he hears the name Luke Douglas.

At the new place things are a bit different. We get through February, and not one word had been uttered about football. No mention of the brilliant All Stars game; no mention of the Charity Shield. In fact everyone asked how my ‘holiday’ to England was. My holiday? They did not understand. This was a business trip. For my second job. Supporting Saints.

So fast forward to Wednesday 9 March. The round one teams were named. Still no mention of football. No mention of a tipping competition. I make the decision to step up to the plate. I send the company wide email. I walk around and ask each person individually. I learn that they used to have a tipping competition, but the person that ran it left two years ago and no one took up the running.

I get to the accounts payable area. I’ve never met any of these people before. For the vast majority, English is not their first language. They don’t know what rugby league is. But ever the entrepreneur, I decide to approach them, because I want a big pool, and it has to be easy cash if they don’t know anything about rugby league right?

Most politely decline, however one steps up. He tells me that he doesn’t know about rugby. I tell him we call it league. He says when does the rugby start? I think I am losing the battle, but I have him committed to the tipping competition; an easy $20 in the pool, bring a total pool to $620, a nice pot for the taking.

Come Friday, my new friend comes around to see me; he wants to know if he has done his tipping right. “Let’s run through them I say”. “Roosters, Cowboys, Eels, Storm, Dragons, Raiders, Knights, Tigers”. I have a little giggle to myself and say “that sounds good” all the while knowing that my new friend has four tips different to me. I’d clean up easily.

Imagine my horror when pinning the leader board up on the Tuesday morning and my new friend sits on top of the ladder on 7 points; whilst I languish in 29th spot on 3 points. Don’t worry, I’ll get it back next week I tell myself.

I find my new friend during the week. I tell him that he did well last week. He asks “what happened to you, why are you so far down the list?”. I tell him I wanted to give everyone a chance. I see he has a Big League magazine on his desk. I ask him about it. He says he watched a game on the weekend, and wanted to learn a bit more so he bought the magazine. I tell him I am available if he wants to discuss his round two tips with me.

I didn’t see my new friend for the rest of the week. I print the ladder out on Tuesday morning. My new friend is now on 14, a lead of two over the competition. Me; well I’ve slipped to 30th spot, having added another score of three to bring my total to 6. My tail is well and truly between my legs.

Now whilst I could wallow in my current inability to select the winners of matches, I prefer to look at the positive. I have introduced someone to rugby league. They have bought a Big League and watched a game. I’m going to work on him now to try and pick a team to support. I might even try to get him to a game. Maybe not a Saints game, I think I’ll keep my second job secret for a while longer.
------

murphyscreek

Coach
2nd hit-up for the Dragons is murphyscreek, slowly awakening from his off season slumber.

749 words between the stars.

The New Recruit

The two Captains shook hands, Mick from Murphys Creek and Trev from Grantham. Their teams faced each other in the centre of the Murphys Creek Ground (MCG), as the referee gave them dire warnings of the consequences if there was a repeat of last year’s all-in brawl. Mick noticed the Grantham team only had twelve players. It was always hard to get the numbers; Murphys Creek themselves had only managed to get thirteen and had no reserves.

The two teams had for many years played an annual Rugby League match, both squads cobbled together for this one game with a perpetual trophy at stake. More enthusiasm than actual prowess was usually on display, and most the players had passed their prime several years past. But still the locals turned out each year in their hundreds to cheer for their respective communities, armed with fold out chairs or picnic blankets, and with eskies chock-a-bloc full of grog and snacks. All agreed it was important the match should go ahead as usual this year.

“One down ay?” Mick rasped to Trev. The local kids all called Mick ‘Gravel Mouth’ behind his back, due to the way he only opened a corner of his mouth when he spoke.

“One more comin’ but e’s runnin’ late, will be here about ‘alf time.” replied Trev.

Mick wasn’t sure, but he thought he detected a smirk on Trev’s face as he spoke.

Although Grantham put up a brave fight, with one player down the first half was predictably a one-sided affair, with Murphys Creek scoring four tries to nil and at half-time enjoyed a 24-0 lead.

During the break, as Mick was urging the Murphys Creek boys to just keep doing as they had in the first half, an unfamiliar sound began to resonate from the sky, growing louder and louder.

Wack wack wack wack....
WACK WACK WACK WACK WACK....

Suddenly, an Australian Army Black Hawk helicopter emerged from above the tree line before descending onto the half-way line of the MCG. The gust from it’s powerful rotors sent various items such as hats, blankets, chairs and empty cans flying sideways or into the air. Any of the lady spectators not wearing jeans struggled with their uplifting skirts and dresses, in a gallant attempt to maintain some modesty.

Then all eyes fell upon the door of the helicopter, as Grantham’s thirteenth player emerged. He was dressed predominately in white. A glaringly white jersey tucked neatly into a crisply starched pair of white shorts. The jersey bore the logo “HRH” above a Royal Crest. He wore long white socks, and handmade boots that had been stitched with red, white, and blue high quality leather, to form the Union Jack.

Prince William jogged down to join his Grantham team-mates at the southern end of the MCG, as the Black Hawk took off. After much back slapping and hugging, the Prince and the other Grantham players formed a huddle.

Down the other end of the field Mick and the Murphys Creek boys just stood and stared in disbelief, before Mick finally snapped out of it and spoke;

“Right, we treat him like any other Pommy rugger playing ponce. Hit him hard, and hit him often.”

The trouble was – they couldn’t catch him. Mick kicked off and deliberately sent the ball flying into Prince William’s arms, who immediately set off at a cracking pace and embarassingly left a number of hapless would-be defenders clutching air, as the young Prince effortlessly stepped around them and went the length of the field to score.

Then he did it again. And again. Then he scored by kicking ahead and easily winning the race for the ball to pick it up and score. Then as if to prove it was no fluke, he did that again too. Then, in response to Murphys Creek rushing up on him in numbers, he’d fire a pin point accurate cut-out pass to his unmarked winger to score. Grantham scored try after try after try with Prince William having a hand in every one of them.

At full-time, Mick and the boys walked off the field dejectedly.

72-24. They’d been given a right Royal flogging.

Murphys Creek and Grantham are two of a number of small, tight knit communities, still coming to terms with a flash flood that occurred on January 10 this year that destroyed houses, buildings, cars, machinery, roads and rail infrastructure. Tragically, the lives of a number of people were also taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hornbyslilhottie24 is lacing up the boots and is ready for the first game back in season 2011.

710 words!!!

The date: Saturday, 12th March 2011. The destination: The Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.

I made the trek up from Sydney for the Mighty Dragons’ opening game of the 2011 season – which just happened to coincide with my 21st birthday. So I went up for a week, courtesy of good ole Mum & Dad.
Game day arrived four days in on the trip. The day began with a 12pm start at a local pub in Surfers. It was good to catch up with some mates, some of which you don’t get to see often enough and of course, it was great to meet some new faces.
The drinks were flowing, the chants were shouting, the 2010 Grand Final was playing and the excitement was high. October 3rd 2010, seemed like a million years ago and it was time that life was back to normal…and in a few short hours it would be.
After a four hour stint, a bunch of us made our way to the ground. Quite intoxicated by this stage, we piled in to a Maxi Taxi and away we went. We arrived at Skilled Park, nervous and excited. For me and many others, it was our first time gracing this great ground with our presence.
Once we got inside the ground we went to our seats and waited anxiously, as the one hundred and fifty strong Dragon Army piled in. After catching up with mates I hadn’t seen since last season, it was nearly kick off time.
I don’t remember too much of the game, but nevertheless it was a great success and ultimately a great result! We were all high on the intensity and could not have asked for a better start to the 2011 season. The memory of the 2010 Grand Final victory sprang to mind and we cheered the house down once again.
After the game we followed the twenty two thousand other people and packed the streets, looking for a way to get out. Of course, we got lost and eventually found the bus queues and pushed our way in, in order to minimize waiting time. The bus ride on the way home was packed, drunken and very funny. Finally, after what seemed like forever, we arrived back to Surfers Paradise and it was now time to head to the Holiday Inn for the post-match function.
We walked along the streets, cheering and jumping around, spreading news of the victory to everyone around.
Hundreds of Red V Members turned up at the Holiday Inn and we all waited with anticipation to greet our heroes. Eventually they came and we all let out a ferocious cheer. Wendell Sailor himself led the event, interviewing players and fans, before the boys walked around, signing autographs and posing for photos with their devoted followers.
It was good to have a chat and get a few snaps with the players, reminisce about the game with the fans and once again, feel that winning “vibe” that we’ve all become addicted to.
The highlight of the night came towards the end of the night as I was lining up for a photo with Ben Hornby (surprise, surprise). When it came my turn, he looked at me and said “Well, look who it is, it’s my number one fan”. The fact that he remembered me shows how much some of the players enjoy the company of their fans and it goes to show that they really care about and love their job.
After Saturday night I still had a few days of my trip remaining and I thoroughly enjoyed them, although the day and night at the footy and the surrounding events topped the list of the holiday.
And so, Round One was a successful campaign, and even though we are the defending Premiers, we know we can’t take any game lightly. There are fierce opponents out there and they’re all out to get us. If the performance in this game is anything to go by, I have a feeling we’ll be up there again, mixing it with the big boys.
The footy is back, life is back to normal, and the stress and excitement levels are back at an all time high.
And I love, love, love it.
SEASON 2011 – BRING IT ON!!!!!

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Titanic for the Titans ... this article is dedicated to the thousands of rugby league fans worldwide who cannot view their sport of choice because of the myopic view of a chosen few, (750 OWC).
-----------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
images

Couched potato – hidden agenda

Wrenched in an untimely fashion from the womb; one moment nestled deep in mother earth; surrounded by life-giving nutrients, and the next; dumped unceremoniously onto the conveyor-belt of circumstance, careering headlong towards the hellish pits of despair... herefollows a real-life tale of woe, spiced with political intrigue.

Who would've thought when I first embraced rugby league a half century ago that I'd one day be comparing my lot with that of the humble spud. Yet here I am, a world away from my beloved sport. I may as well be buried beneath the unforgiving ground like a root vegetable.

Tuber-like, I was snuggled-up anticipating the Spring of the new season when my world was rudely up-rooted. The NRL, in pursuit of their agenda to remain in global obscurity, had dug my dreams a furrow that would lead to the very tables of Australia's power-brokers.

My saga began with a cursory peep at the Australia Network menu for the coming season, before the Indigenous match. Oz Network, as it’s quaintly known amongst the Australian expatriate community, is not regarded as the sharpest peeler in the kitchen in terms of promoting our sea-girthed land, however, it is our only television link to home.

Formerly ABC Asia Pacific, this window to Australiana attracts pockets of Aussies to bars and hotels all over the world where we can all get our fill of rugby league and show off the Greatest Game to our foreign mates. The more fortunate of us couch potatoes have satellite connections and watch from the comfort of our homes in exile.

But I digress. In my naivety, on discovering that Oz Network were not broadcasting the All Stars match, I politely emailed Rod Webb, their production manager, suggesting that this game would be an excellent exhibition of our cultural fabric and provide an enticing entrée to Season 2011… like a crispy packet of Salt&Vinegar chips before Friday Night Football.

Can you imagine my shock, my horror when I received a very terse reply announcing that there would be no NRL shown in 2011? I stood at my screen feeling as naked as a newly skinned yam dunked in ice-water.

“Impossible,” I ranted, “I’m calling the NRL.” And I did, but quicker than you can say Petero’s potato cakes, I was flicked like unwanted peel from Gallup to Annesley. Originally it had seemed like a half-baked idea but their responses had me simmering.

“Don’t blame us,” they decried, in tones basted with innocence. “The big turnips at Oz Network didn’t really want to broadcast rugby league and only offered us two games a week plus Origin, Tests and Finals.” Boo hoo hoo and waaaah. As clear as the eye of a rotten 'murphy', the NRL wanted to get paid to promote their own fare to countries who haven’t even tasted a morsel of rugby league.

They nearly had my sympathy, not. After a little grilling, the NRL sheepishly coughed up the following tidbit; “Don’t worry, we have sold the rights to a pay-per-view provider, Setanta, for more cash than Oz Network offered.”

Bash me, smash me, hash brown and mash me… I was really steamed when further research uncovered that Setanta only broadcasts to a very limited footprint in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore but not mainland China, Japan, Korea, India, Philippines or Thailand to name but a few.

Not ready to concede defeat, I phoned the NRL again arguing that 96% of the known world’s population now didn’t have access to rugby league. Being passed around like a hot potato was frustrating enough but salt was rubbed in when they condescendingly advised that Bigpond would stream live to countries that didn’t have access to the games… this is simply untrue… I was flamed.

In desperation, I did what all stuffed vegetables do when they're destined for either the proverbial saucepan or the eternal fire… I dialed Canberra.

Slice me, dice me, chop me up and French-fry me... soon I was phone to phone with the Honorable Kevin "Tiny Taters" Rudd, Minister responsible for Australia Network… Minister responsible for shattering my season and the conscience of potato salad.

"My fellow Queenslander, our policy is to promote Australia by removing all programmed sport and focus on re-runs of Home&Away. Don’t forget that Australia Network is a government tool." I was boiling... withdraw a taxpayers service to promote instead Australia in English to foreigners who don't speak it?

“No Minister, you are truly a government 'tool'.”

Last edited:

tits&tans

Juniors
image.php
tits&tans for the mighty Titans spots a gap and heads for the line (737 OWC between the stars)

images

Tita ‘n’ Drango

There was once a baby dragon called Drango, who lived in a shallow well. He knew nothing else other than the well, but he was extremely happy.

“I am so happy”, he exclaimed. “When I wake in the morning, I walk along the edge of the well and when I am tired I come home and rest in the cool shade of the well’s wall. Perfect! The water is at the right level – not too shallow or too deep. If I jump into the water, it only comes up to my armpits and I can float on my belly.”

Indeed, Drango was so happy, that he bragged and bragged to any and all he met that this was the best place to live.

One day, Drango was sitting on a ledge inside the wall of his well admiring the sky when he saw a head emerge over the edge of the well, blocking out a section of the big round sky. It was a large turtle from the NavaRuthi Lake that Drango had never seen before. The turtle’s name was Tita.

“Hi there!” Drango said. “I don’t believe we’ve met before! Please friend, please come into my well and pay me a visit. My well is the best place in the world, and I’m sure you’ll be very comfortable here.”

Tita peered curiously down into the small well, straining his eyes in the gloom. “Alright,” said Tita. But the closer he got to the well, the smaller the opening looked to him. “I’m sorry Drango, I don’t think I can make it down there – I think I’d get stuck!”

“But of course, you can fit in my well!” said Drango, “It’s so spacious! And you don’t look so big to me.”

“That’s because the opening to your well is so small, that you can only see my head. You still can’t see the rest of me! But you’re right, in comparison with my friends from the NR Lake, I’m not very big.”

Drango’s eyes bulged. “You mean you know creatures that are bigger than you?”

“Much bigger!” Tita replied. “Here you have some small insects, but in the great Lake we have some mighty sharks! Here you have your little beetles, but in the NRL we have magnificent sea eagles, warriors, tigers, eels and schools of small fish that are so big that they look like storm clouds. The NR Lake is so big that it can hold all of those things and we never feel cramped. We can’t even see the end of the Lake.”

Drango fell off his ledge in shock. Then he climbed back up, a little unsteadily. He stared at Tita for a moment in skepticism, and then said, “I’m not sure I believe you. I can’t imagine there could be anything that gigantic, and certainly not as comfortable and homely as my well.”

Tita smiled, “Then I’ll take you to see it.”

It took all of his strength but by jumping from ledge to ledge up the walls, Drango was finally able to jump out of his well. He landed with a squelch on the dewy grass beside it. Tita asked, “Do you feel okay, my little friend?”

The sun was so hot on his back and the air was so sharp in his lungs, but eventually Drango nodded. “I always thought that the sky was round and quite small. I never knew that it was so huge – I can’t even see where it ends! And the sun! It’s blinding my eyes! I never knew it was so powerful! And the air! It’s clearing my lungs! I never knew it was so fresh!”

“Now do you understand why I said the well is small?” Tita said gently. “Certainly your well is a lovely place to live, but there are many fantastic places on the earth – some much greater than your well.”

Drango just hung his head in embarrassment. He knew he would still enjoy his life in the well, but now he realized that he and his well were but a small part of a very big world.

Isn’t it good to occasionally lift our heads and appreciate our world for what it is and to realize how our little patch fits into the wider world around us?

Doesn’t this apply to players in the park, players in the pub and all of us as we begin this season?

TITs ANonymouS

Juniors
image.php
TA takes the field for the first game of the season hoping the title of his article doesn't apply to the Forum Sevens in 2011.(750 OWC between the lines).

Up%20Close%20Judge%282%29.jpg

Same Ole Same Ole

Well league fans if you were expecting a fresh, clean start to the 2011 rugby season you would've been sorely disappointed. It was truly a case of the same ole same ole, or so it seems.

Scandal followed scandal as usual preseason which left me at times shaking my head wondering “what were they thinking”. Without a doubt the betting scandal was the biggest disappointment surrounding this great game I've ever experienced. How can players who reach such a pinnacle on one hand disrespect it so on the other, not forgetting themselves and the fans? All for what? A few measly bucks!

They are paid handsomely to play a game, which mind you is a game, that insulates them from having to eke out a living doing some mundane job like the rest of us. They’re household names and often idolized. Still, the lure of the filthy lucre, not enough to even remotely make it worthwhile, seems to have been too great a temptation.

Fortunately the full force of the law is coming crashing down on these morons but at what cost to the game?

I shift my attention now to a slightly lesser fracas; that of Benji Marshall assaulting a man after a fundraiser. Of course the media went ballistic, particularly as he's not only one of the best players in the world, he is also the face of rugby league. The NRL also went into damage control? More like “out of control” mode, something which they seem to have perfected in recent years.

Poor ole Benji is now facing an assault charge, and for some, his reputation is sullied. Note, I said "for some", because his reputation is fully intact in my eyes. When some galah full of himself and bad manners starts into you for no reason at all, using abusive language and insulting you several times, they probably deserve what they get. Admittedly, I’m no barrister but I’ve seen heaps of Law and Order episodes and that sounds like provocation to me. The “I’m black too" defence is all a bit too precious for mine but they will get their day in court – again, at what cost to the sport?

I’m not sure of the politics behind NRL's stance on this charge, I guess they want to clarify that sport celebrities cannot going around filling-in every person who questions their parentage. It’s fair enough that we Aussies will ridicule the tall poppy but I doubt that there will be much support for the cowardly pansy.

It’s this type of incident that highlights the less desirable side of the media and journalism. Benji has been portrayed as a thug, the NRL made to look like they can’t control their players and the game takes another blow.

We all understand the need to sell newspapers and the value of putting bums in front of the tube. They would quickly go out of business if all they reported was how Mrs. Brown’s couldn’t get her strawberry pavlova to rise or what Benji was wearing to the gym. There are times though when they literally make a seven tier wedding cake out of a chocolate brownie. It could be argued though, that responsible journalism requires the players to act responsibly too.

Every member of every society must abide by the criminal and moral laws of their country. But let’s not forget just who these rugby league players are. They are aggressive men who need that edge in their training to be physically ready for the weekends contest. Furthermore, they’d better have plenty of aggression in their kit when they hit the field or their contracts will be shredded like their egos at game’s end.

I don’t condone public violence, well not much anyway. However, if people want to poke the uncaged tiger then they can expect to get mauled – Darwin had that right.

Like Mrs. Brown's pavlovas, the good these guys do may not be newsworthy but their work is a pillar of our society. The Rooster’s players along with their sponsor, Steggles, donate money each week to four charities. This is just one example and the vast majority of the clubs thanklessly put hours of effort in to the community. These very same players have families and grassroots ties.

I’m relieved that the waiting is over. The starving media can gorge on a buffet of rugby league and if this year is the same ole same ole, good, because the footy last year was fantastic.

Amadean

Juniors
Amadean proudly waddles his off-season weight onto the Titans field for a glorious 2011!
image.php

742 below the bar

--------------------------------

Fantasy High Ground

fantasy_football.jpg

As sure as October means Christmas decorations in Woolies, so does the start of a new season of League bring with it a new season of Fantasy League.

The idea is allegedly to select the 17 players who are likely to have the greatest impact on the 2011 season (as adjudged by the tackle-counters of Fox Sports). On the face of it this seems a brilliant test of League knowledge, particularly as salary-cap and positional rules are in place. This means that it isn’t an option to simply select a team of super-stars, as you can’t afford them . Neither can you fill a squad with try scoring fullbacks or ball-grabbing halves – and so knowledge beyond ‘Billy Slater is Famous’ is required to do well. Each fantasy League coach must leverage their full knowledge of form, injuries, match-ups, relative bang-for-buck and motivation to triumph over all lesser fantasies.

Or so it seems.

You see, what I’ve described above is a lovely world full of theory, clean decisions and perfect balance. Of course, to arrive at such a lovely world requires, as economists say, some fairly strong assumptions. Requiring assumptions is kind of like saying “New Zealand would be a great place, if it wasn’t for all the bloody Kiwis”, or “I’m always better looking after a few drinks”: outwardly sensible statements that reveal the speaker to be a complete idiot. In my first two weeks of this season’s fantasising about League, two fantasy-assumptions have particularly stuck out.

Stupid Assumption the First: Fantasy League coaches will judge each player on the basis of their fee.

Baldly spoken, this assumption means that if you think Jarryd Hayne will bring a higher point-to-value return than Jharal Yow Yeh (where point-to-value is how many points a player will score divided by how much they cost to buy), on a then you should jump aboard the Hayne-Train .

An effective way of arguing around silly assumptions is reductio ad absurdium: in this case the most absurd object possible is Paul Gallen. The Sharks’ scumbag may be very efficient on a point-to-value basis, but that just isn’t enough. Yes, I know the prize for winning Fox Sports’ fantasy League competition is $20k, which is a lot of money. But, Paul Gallen? Really? Could anyone buy their girlfriend an engagement ring knowing that their avowed support of Paul dirty-cheating-b@stard Gallen had paid for the shiny love token? Could any fantasy coach front their competitors at the office each day and say “winning means so much to me that I’m willing to be associated with a man who has never knowingly played a fair half of footy”.

Well, obviously some fantasy coaches can {cough, Titanic, cough}. But that just means they are horrible people and we can safely spit on their flatulent corpses. {Hi Captain! Love the shirt! Are those new shoes? Gorgeous!}

This, therefore, is a stupid assumption as it rewards fantasy coaches who are entirely amoral. What sort of message is that to send to the fantasy juniors?

Stupid Assumption the Second: Fantasy League coaches have equal knowledge about all players on all teams.

This bit of silliness reckons that a random fantasy coach will not know more about his side’s new recruits than about any other team’s. If that isn’t the case, then supporters of the team with the best new recruits will have an unfair advantage. This is particularly the case in any competition where prices change throughout a season, and a junior who does well can earn his fantasy manager a solid reward.

Well look, I’m a Queenslander. I know lots about Queensland League: we’re awesome, everyone else is rubbish, our players are hugely well endowed, tries scored by anyone else don’t count. I know a fair bit about our juniors coming through, but almost nothing about the Bulldogs, Panthers or any other made-up team from down South. The same goes for a Raiders fan, or a Dragons die-hard: we don’t know enough about the vagaries of strange teams to make the market fair.

This means that teams with bigger supporter bases (like my Broncos) will see their promising recruits bid-up over value, whilst teams with fewer fans (like the Raiders) will have an unfair advantage: the good new kids will be cheaper.

So, how to fix these two flaws?

Firstly, enable supporter-number weightings on prices to ensure that fans are equally treated.

Secondly, dock points from whoever picks Paul Gallen.

dubopov

Coach
Dragon's captain Dubo powered onto a short ball from Hottie, scattering the Titans like nine-pins...

HOUDINI THE PHANTOM BANTAM

'Lucky Legs' Lancaster was one of the most talented fullbacks to ever lace on boots but he gave the game away before his 16th birthday. He was dubbed the 'young Changa' around our parts due to his Langlands-esque sidestep and his amazing footballing brain.

The gangly 6'5" fifteen year old was dubbed "Lucky Legs' by his grandfather, World War II veteran, 'Bomber' Lancaster. When asked about his grandson's sidestep, Bomber reckoned:-

"He's lucky his legs don't break and disappear right up his arse."

Equalling Lucky's love for footy was his love for animals and he was widely known for the veritable menagerie at the Lancaster farm. Apart from the usual farm suspects, he had virtually everything - even a kangaroo named Mephistopheles who was the favourite apart from Houdini the Phantom Bantam.

Houdini, a 'bitzer' chook had escaped from a neighbour's property and turned up at Lucky's place in a compromising position with one of his pigeons. Lucky locked him securely in a fox-proof cage and was astonished to find Houdini gone from the still-intact pen in the morning. The nickname was born.

Every day before school or training, the 'chook-whispering' Lucky, would chat to Houdini, give it a cuddle and happily go on his way. Whilst at school or training Lucky talked incessantly about the silky bantam.

"He flew over 40 yards parallel to the ground."

"He ate a huntsman spider as big as your hand."

"I prized open the carpet snake's jaws before it could devour him."

One night when he were getting ready for Rep training a week before our local Grand Final, Lucky was telling us about the latest in the Houdini saga when arch-enemy Mungo Wilkes blurted:-

"Are you rootin' this f**kin' thing or what ? It's only a f**kin' scrawny little f**kin' chook !"

Like lightning, Lucky smashed Wilkes in the face with a footy boot and the tags found cheekbone. Blood gushed onto the concrete slab as Wilkes ran out.

"You'll pay for that merkin!!" wailed the wounded Wilkes.

"Daddy'll fix you Mungo" Lucky chortled, alluding to the local quack.

Not surprisingly, Houdini and his off-sider Mephistopheles disappeared a couple of nights later, the latter turning up the next day with a bloodied envelope in his pouch.

'Beetle' Bailey and I looked on as Lucky opened the envelope. It contained a solitary white feather.

"f**kin' Wilkes has killed Houdini", the exasperated Lucky blurted. "All because of a f**kin' game."

"Nah mate", Wilkes just reckons you're a coward. That done this white feather stuff in the war. The old man told me."

We couldn't console the broken-hearted chook whisperer and despite a couple of raids on Wilkes' place and checking out his haunts down near the creek, there was no sign of the ill-fated bird.

Despite our cajoling over the next few days; Beetle even promised that his sister would give Lucky a head job, we were never going to convince him to play. His world had been shattered. We resigned ourselves to a Grand Final loss, not only would we be missing our 'young Changa' but only only reserve Tom Foolery had broken his arm in a billy cart accident during this harrowing last week.

Despite the expected result, we fronted with pride to take on the Wallabies on the biggest Sunday of the year in Jallamaloop.

Playing like boys' possessed we took an early 10-0 lead with two converted tries and then dug in for the long haul. Wilkes kicked three penalties to cut our lead to 4 with 10 minutes to go.

An energized Wilkes started to carve us up. He employed the 'hit and spin' move taught to the Rep boys by some Brisbane coach. In between gasps at a scrum on our 25, I told Beetle to force Wilkes back to his left the next time he hit the line.

It seemed to work a treat. When Wilkes hit the line Beetle made him spin to the left and I polaxed the chook-killing merkin. Amazingly though, the dazed Wilkes stumbled on towards the line. We wouldn't be able to stop him.Suddenly, out of the blue, a white blurr flew out of nowhere and crashed into Wilkes' eye. Houdini had pecked his way out of his bedroom jail.

Two bounds later, Mephisto launched and kicked Wilkes in the jatz crackers. A fully-kitted Lucky then drove the quivering mess into the turf.

The siren sounded. Houdini crowed in unison.

745 words

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Big Pete for the Titans posted by proxy Titanic (referee and opposition captain notified). 738 words by OWC
========================
http://www.nospam09.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sam-thaiday-brisbane-broncos.jpg

The Breaking Point

[FONT=&quot]Dining at a lavish cafe on a Sunday morning I was surprised to hear the topic of Rugby League brought up by an acquaintance I’d yet to be properly introduced to. She revealed her love for South Sydney and St. George Illawarra, the latter was purely due to her admiration of coach Wayne Bennett as a result of the man’s moral guidelines.

This sparked my curiosity. Firstly from my experience, it’s quite rare to hear a woman bring up the topic of Rugby League and secondly for her to support any team other than a local side. So I asked her the most obvious question: “are you from Sydney”? She shook her head, so I brought forward my follow up question, “what about the Broncos or the Titans?”.

As a Broncos supporter I was prepared for her to explain that her support was largely habitual or she couldn’t stand the club’s arrogance but once again I was caught unprepared for her answer. She explained that she had been a Broncos supporter in the past, but when she heard of the night club incident in 2008 she withdrew her support in an almighty hurry.

I accepted her answer as her right of opinion and the conversation went elsewhere but the thought still remained, could there ever be an issue that would stop me from supporting my club?

Furthermore, in the case of the nightclub incident is it reasonable to hold the club responsible? Of course, when I refer to the “night club incident” I’m referring to the scandal that involved Karmichael Hunt, Darius Boyd and Sam Thaiday. Despite the police investigation, all three players were allowed to play in that weekend’s Final against eventual Grand Finalists Melbourne, as their club controversially allowed them to play.

To some, that’s a club supporting these players and despite all three eventually avoiding any sexually related charges the damage had been done publicly and the image of the club had taken a hit. In my opinion, the club did everything in its power to deal with the matter professionally and didn’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water by suspending those players in a do or die match. When more details emerged I did lose some respect for those individual players but never to the point where my support for the Broncos was put into serious jeopardy.

Back to my original dilemma, hypothetically speaking, if the Broncos do go on to commit something that goes completely against my moral compass I’m unsure whether or not I could forgive them. Heck, I’m unsure whether or not it’s the right thing to do; to abandon a club that I’ve supported throughout the bulk of my life and has so thoroughly entertained me. Is club and player irrevocably entwined?

The closest example I can conjure-up as a precedent, where another club has done something of that magnitude, is the Storm salary cap scandal that saw a lot of their glory years wiped from the record books. This wasn’t just one player’s misdemeanor; this was the entire club from management right through to the players fault. Sure, the club has suffered, yet the real victims were the innocent fans who naively bought tickets, merchandise and a lifetime’s worth of memories only to have them snatched away, all for naught.

I could never blame those fans if they abandoned the code but at the same time, I respect even more those who chose to stick by their club despite all the taunts from opposition fans. What I admired most about their resolve was how they were able to express their support for the club’s future without supporting the previous actions of their club. Admittedly, some fans tried to play the role of victim and decry the harshness of their penalties but the majority stood up through some very trying times.

I believe it’s fair to conclude that the test of a fan’s mettle is linked directly to how much they support their club. If a fan is able to see past one issue and voice their opinion about it honestly then they’re free to be able to criticize the club without their integrity coming into question.
And while opposition supporters will always rejoice in being able to remind of us of our clubs past misdemeanors, we can always keep them honest in the one arena where it matters most: the footy field.

==========================================================
[/FONT]

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
DRAGONZ_RULE with 730 words on the buzzer.

The First Time …

You always remember your first time …

You always remember who it was with. You always remember where you were. You always remember how long it took for you to reach that point where your emotions, your sensations, climax at the height of ecstasy.

You always remember your first time.

Not having clocked up as many years on the ‘odometer of life’ as most adults, I only experienced my first time recently – less than six months ago, in fact.

To be honest, most of my mates laughed at me because of it. They knew I was 22 when it happened, and how long and fervently I had yearned for it.

“That’s way too long,” JP exulted, with a smirk plastered on his face. “My first time was back when I was 16 in 2005, I was with Sarah at the time. She loved it, said it was great. But she couldn’t have known how good it was for me – she didn’t understand exactly how I felt.”

“Ha ha ha, totally,” laughed Shane. “JP’s record is better than mine, but I still beat you, dude.”

“What, when was your first?” I asked – I had no idea about Shane …

“In 2008, mate. And I had two chicks with me that day. To be bloody honest, I can’t even remember the name of either of the birds, but f**k it was an experience I’ll never forget …”

A round of backslapping ensued. Had this been prior to my first time, I would have felt downright dirty about it all.

Even though I would never admit it to them, I had gone through so much pain seeing my mates experience it for the first time before I had. Of course, it’s not necessarily a competition between you and your best mates, but I could never get that famous phrase out of my head during those dark days: “Success tastes sweetest when accompanied by the failure of a friend.” Clearly my failure had been sweet to them given their jibes.

But now I didn't so much as care in the slightest. I had my absolution, and that was something they could never take away from me. It was something I would never forget – you always remember your first time.

As mentioned, my first time was in 2010 – and I’m not ashamed to say it.

My first time was with my girlfriend. We’ve been in a relationship for more than two years now, and we were best friends for four or five years before that too. We love each other very deeply – in my opinion, given our respective circumstances, it was the measure of love required to share what we shared, experience what we experienced, and yet understand completely how the other was feeling during and after the event.

My first time, I was at Homebush. Perhaps unusual given I live on the North Shore, and my girlfriend lives near Bankstown – but we made it work. In fact, we were actually at the Olympic complex – the place where gold medals were one, where events were etched in the memories of hundreds of millions for the rest of their lifetime: in that sense, it was so fitting that my first time be there.

My first time, it took me a little over an hour to reach that fabled point where my emotions climaxed, the physical and emotional sensations reaching their zenith in a moment of pure bliss. After a slow start where I had a migraine, I felt like it was all going wrong and it was all far too messy, it ended up taking 63 minutes to be exact – we had a clock telling us that.

It was October 3, 2010. I was with my Roosters-supporting girlfriend, and we were seated right behind the Dragon Army at ANZ Stadium, watching the NRL Grand Final between St George Illawarra Dragons and Sydney Roosters. After a terrible first half, I was in dreamland after 63 minutes – Dean Young had scored a try which pushed me through my previous emotional barriers (for a number of reasons!), to a place I had never been before. That try sealed the 2010 Premiership for the mighty Saints.

JP’s a Tigers supporter and Shane’s apparently a Manly fan.

Titanic

First Grade
5v5 great start both teams.

Onya Titans ... great to see you all back and in harness.
Good luck Dragons but not too much.
Over to you Mr. Referee, sir.

Jesbass

First Grade
Hi folks. Great to see both teams staring with a 5 -v- 5.

I hope to have your marks done before the weekend, most likely Friday night some time. :thumn

Jesbass

First Grade
Hi folks. Sorry for the delay. I've marked 7 articles so far but really need to sleep, so I'll do the rest in the morning. Hang in there! ;-)

Latest posts