What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 ROUND 5: Titans -V- Rabbitohs

Jesbass

First Grade
Gold Coast Titans -V- South Sydney Rabbitohs

2010gco-main.jpg
-V-
sou-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 2 reserves for the visiting team, + 3 reserves for the home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://www.forumsevens.com.au/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://forumsevens.com.au/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 15th May 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Thursday 26th May 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Willow
Venue: Skilled Park
gold_coast_skilled1.jpg

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Careful not to disturb TBA who was spied taking up his usual position, supine on the old sofa under the grandstand, here come the Titans:

1. Amadean
7. Titan Uranus
11. Titanic
13. TITs ANonymouS
18. lockyno1

Bench
2. Tittoolate
6. tits&tans
9. bgdc

Titan Uranus

Juniors
Hello, posting nice and early as I'm on my holidays on the other side of the world and if I don't do it now the next chance I get will be too late. After a long break I've returned and here's what's been happening - 748 words between the breaks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bright Lights, Big City

Hello, is it me you’re looking for? No, probably not, but I’m back, it feels so long since I left you and unlimited levels of online league loveliness. What did I do, where did I go?

I moved to the big smoke. No, not London not even Rockhampton, but Beijing. Its skies are regularly covered in a layer of gauze that never fully allows sunshine to penetrate it. Mothers here don’t even need to tell their children to never look directly into the sun, as they’d suffer more damage looking straight at a 20-watt bulb. It’s not gauze that does this, but pollution. In Beijing the air quality falls to unhealthy levels on an almost daily basis and not infrequently going off the charts all together.

Does that mean that the people who live here have to lead unhealthy lives, no it doesn’t. As you’d expect with the most recent hosts of the Olympic Games there’s a fair amount of support for sport.

As you might expect you can play table tennis almost anywhere. Badminton too exists anywhere where there are a few square metres of ground to spare. Basketball is played incessantly by all males under the age of thirty. I think it might be law.

All that you can get in any city of any size in China, but what about the big city? When I say Beijing is big I’m not exaggerating, in the last census there were a recorded 21 million people living in the city. That’s right, this one city has a population that matches the same as the entire Australian nation. Throw in the undocumented citizens and you can account for the whole of New Zealand too.

This is a place with so much to do and so much to see, rich with culture, with two entire districts of the city devoted to it, including one recent piece of performance art that involved a 57-year old having sex in front of a bunch of onlookers. You don’t get that in Dubbo, well … never mind. My point is it is a place that has all kinds of everything from all over the world, and this includes sports too.

Soccer as you’d expect has a large amount of participation, the mid-week 5-a-side league has over 90 teams in it. The long-time expat sports club the Hash House Harriers shows up. In case you don’t know what they are, they’re “a drinking club with a running problem”, and poor sense of humour. They think they’re incredibly zany and outrageous when actually they’re just annoying.

Talking of which yes that sport with two extra hangers-on on each team also exists, with the HQ at The Den an expat bar that has been in Beijing for a long time and judging by its clientele and the fact that it is a place for the “professional lady” to ply her trade may just as well be called The Den of Iniquity. It’s also where the Beijing Cricket Club’s bus leaves from to take players to games. It may only consist of four teams but Beijing has a cricket league.

Surely then it must also have enough NRL and Superleague aficionados to set up something of their own, even if it’s just some, as our American cousins say, pick-up games.

I was buoyed when I saw how in Beijing there was enough interest for an Aussie Rules team – the Beijing Bombers. Not only that but there’s also a Gaelic Football team, a sport played by approximately 12.3 people in its native environment.

The obscurity and unlikeliness didn’t stop there. A friend asked me if I was interested in going shooting with him one weekend – in a country where all guns are forbidden we can use them in the name of sport, even foreigners. We can’t have a mobile phone contract but we can shoot guns for fun.

We can even play handball, yes here in Beijing you can play that sport that doesn’t know whether it’s soccer, basketball, hockey, or volleyball. Which reminds me, there are heaps of volleyball teams here too.

So no doubt that’s where you think I’ve been, out in the fields, finally finding a corner of some foreign field that shall be forever under the 1895 code of football created in England. Well I have been playing sport, but it hasn’t been league.

Welcome to Beijing, where handball is bigger than league. Next time I might consider Rockhampton after all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link for Artistic News Story http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/pict...-re-education-for-sexual-performance-art.html

Also, I'll update my banners when I get time.

griffo346

First Grade
guys here is the team for the f7s game

1. Non Terminator
2. Bubbles
3. Byrne_rovelli_fan82
4. Marshall_magic
5. Bwuce

6. griffo346

ill bench this one and start next one then next week one of you guys can bench for a rest.

The crowd hollers for a Marshall, as Benji's intern Marshall Magic steps onto the field, lets see what this kid can do

--------------------------------------
That’s Why They Call it the Blues
It’s no secret that Ricky Stuart had many secret meetings with potential Blues players, former players, former coaches, Wags, and anybody else with any form of vested interest in the team. We have managed to get our hands on the tape of a former Blues greats’ meeting. This was held after round 1, and they’re looking at how well the origin hopefuls performed.

Sticky: Thank you everyone for joining me today, I am really excited about this upcoming series and I wanted you blokes to have an input

Gus: Thanks Sticky, I think the Blues are a real shot

Elias: It’s going to be a tough series, but there’s a carrot at the end of the rainbow

Loz: good to be here, I think we’re disappointed with the 5 straight losses

Mario: Hey guys, where’s Fat?

MG: Good to be here Sticky

Sticky: Thanks guys, now let’s get started...*doors opens*

Freddy: WADDUP merkinS!! Sorry I’m a little late, fired up though, GO THE BLUES!

Sticky: As I was saying, what do you guys think we need to do to beat the maroons this year?

Gus: We need to try and out Queensland Queensland, it’s pretty simple really.

Loz: We need to try and put more points on the board than them, if we score more points, we’ll probably win.

Mario: No Loz, I’ve actually played in games where we haven’t scored more points, yet we still won

Elias: How so Mario?

Mario: We drew these games, therefore we didn’t lose them, so therefore we won

Elias: Mario do you think before you talk?

Sticky: Righto, that’s enough, let’s get back on track.

MG: Have you boys seen Quade Cooper play, I’d pick him for the Blues

Freddy: ahhh, he’s a Queenslander and a Rugby player MG

MG: Can’t we still pick him?

Gus: NO NO NO NO NO

MG: But he’s very...

Gus: NOOOOOOOO

MG: What about looking at some Toyota Cup players?

Gus: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MG: Or this guy from the Sharkies.....

Gus: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Freddy: MG, stop talking, we need some tough blokes, who don’t think like Queensland think, that’s how I always played, I tried to think how Queensland would be preparing, then doing something completely different.

Gus: Ahh, Freddy you’re an amazing soul.

Sticky: Can we get this back on the subject of the game please boys?

Elias: Sticky, I think we need to prepare our boys for a real battle, everyone knows origin is a war of nutrition; we need to get them hardened for that. Maybe they should watch the reports on the floods, and try to pre-meditate them.

Loz: What does that even mean Benny? Are you even thinking about what you’re saying?

Mario: No, Benny’s a dumbass

Benny: Shut it Mario, we’ll smash Queensland if we do as I say; they’re counting their sheep before they hatch.

Sticky: BOYS! Come on! Halfback, who do we pick there?

Freddy: Pearcey, definitely, he’s a great kid and he’s certainly good enough

Gus: Yeah, I agree with you Freddy you amazing man, I wanna boof both you and Pearce.

MG: Maybe we should put Toddy Payten at halfback; he’s a halfback in a props body

Gus: deary deary me

MG: Maybe pick Lui

Sticky: He’s a Queenslander

MG: Sandow

Sticky: Queenslander

MG: Beau Henry, he had a good debut

Gus: You keep an eye on a kid like him, and then you pick him down the line, not now

MG: But we need to win

Gus: Yes, and we won’t win picking Henry

MG: Don’t you rate the kid?

Gus: Of course I rate him; he’s just not ready yet.

Sticky: Are we going to achieve anything here at all?

Gus: I can tell you exactly whose fault it is that Queensland has won five in a row.

Sticky: Whose fault is it Gus?

Gus: David Gallop, the guy is completely incompetent, the sooner he leaves the game the better

Sticky: Gus, you said you wouldn’t...

Gus: No, the salary cap has thinned out our talent. If it wasn’t for this salary cap garbage, we’d have a much better side.

Sticky: Gus! Get back on the topic at hand

Freddy: Joey gave me some good stuff, anybody want to head out back?

Sticky: Oh forget it, see you all later

Loz: I think he’s a little disappointed

Elias: he’ll cheer up; he’s just got his knickers in a vice

Gus: he’s just a pig headed loser, forget him.

----------------------------

749 words between the lines

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Follows M&M's footstpes

~~~
Re-Connecting

Last year the Daily Telegraph published an article through the online version of their newspaper about NRL players needing to be much more careful in their use of online social media. Although the article pinpointed only to one club in the Penrith Panthers; there wasn’t a doubt it was also making valid points to all players in the NRL no matter which club they played for, as everyone needed to be properly educated on the dangers of the Internet. There is a rule by some clubs for their players on facebook where they can’t accept requests by anyone under a specific age.
Recent off-field dramas have affected fans’ perception of their football stars as arrogant and‘too big for their boots’. An example is the Melbourne Storm’s new home ground AAMI Park. It is a fantastic facility with state of the art décor, but unlike Olympic Park where fans could meet their hero’s after post match games, in the new ground security guards kick fans out as soon as the game is over, and where the players exit from is now fenced in and tighly guarded, fans simply are locked out of a true post match experience.

There now appears a new way to get in touch, as some players are known to use social media to interact with friends and family and former teammates. In some cases players are friends with fans as well, allowing them to see and hear what the fans are really thinking, taking aboard their suggestions and interacting with them.

Now with several players holding facebook pages and twitter accounts (how genuine these are considering anybody can pose as anyone on the Internet) fans have the opportunity to once again get in touch with the players, this is a good move, albeit accidental rather than on purpose, it is good to see the barriers have broken down.
Twitter is the most common place for players to congregate of late, with the likes of Gold Coast players Scott Prince, Clinton Toopi, Nathan Friend and Luke O’Dwyer, Parramatta players Daniel Mortimer and Chris Walker, and Melbourne Storm players Matt Duffie and Luke Kelly along with retired players Matt Rogers and Steve Price, NZ Warrior Lewis Brown and North Queensland Cowboy Brent Tate.

What they tweet is their business, although it is very interesting to see what they have to say, about football, the games they watch, opinions they share, and the fact they even happily reply to peoples tweets to them, and reporting on their injuries. Even the photos they are happy to share is a great reflection of their enjoyment away from the job they do day in and day out.
It is like a breath of fresh air for the general public; and even for the players themselves, as they don’t have to feel so constricted. Example of this dates from early last season through a facebook chat with a current player, he’d said it is frustrating for the players when situations happen because they have a very strong opinion but they are forced to not talk in case it gets taken out of contest, or without permission from the club’s PR expert.

A great highlight from my experience so far on interactions with the players came some weeks back when I did a reply tweet to the Gold Coast Titans (someone in the organization must look after the club’s twitter page) and Scott Prince. I mentioned that I always take the time to watch the Titans playing, but only do so because of him (Prince), reason being he is one of my favourite players in the NRL. This prompted a RT (re-tweet) from Prince with a big smiley face and a thumb’s up.
It is a moment that can be interpreted in a variety of ways with various meanings; though a simple response from Prince can be a big deal to a fan. Even if it wasn’t me receiving the reply just imagine the sort of confidence it would instil in a young aspiring child wanting to emulate their favourite player.

Hopefully we see more players going down a similar path as those currently invading the world of Twitter, and while their privacy is important it is impossible to exclude the fans as they are the paying members of the public dedicating their time and their passion to the game and to the players and without fans there would be nobody to fill stadium seats.
The time has come to re-connect.
~~

749 words between the '~' according to the official word counter

griffo346

First Grade
Questions about representative football that come up every year

In this article I will propose to you a few questions with representative football and my opinions as answers.
The questions I will be proposing get reared every year and every year nothing is done It will more than likely take the new television rights for something to happen In all honesty.
As we all know representative football is everything to our season being the pinnacle of state of origin although representing the Kangaroos would be on highest on any list for a footballer who wants to play representative football. All players start out at the park football level when they start here this is where the aspirations start to play representative football.
The questions I propose are is a bye weekend for all teams needed when representative football is played, Is city v country needed and If It Is can we Improve It? Should state of origin should be played weekend if there was a bye weekend?

State of origin questions that often come up year in year out

Question: Should it be played on a weekend?

Answer: my answer Is no unless there Is a bye weekend then yes It worth a trial possible hold It on a Saturday with the under 20s playing a series also but as a curtain raiser to the first grade, also make tickets for these games affordable so people can go maybe Include transport to the game with In the price.

City v Country questions that come up

Question: Should the game be played at all?

Answer: I firmly believe that this game has a place yearly on the National Rugby League draw every year, however currently sits on the same night as the national team playing this Is when I don’t think the game should be played I don’t think It needs to be played on weekend so this game doesn’t need a bye weekend like the major games, but I still think It has a place In the game, maybe on a midweek time slot.

Question: Should the game be used as a genuine Origin trial?

Answer: This question in my opinion shouldn’t need discussion as it should be regardless a genuine trial, its okay to go Incumbents from the previous year but I don’t think it should happen all spots from fullback to the four spots on the bench should be open to every player on the National Rugby League. I don’t know about other fans but I would love to have it like this and add to this the mixture of a midweek fixture this would be more bearable to watch as I struggled to watch this fixture this year.

A couple of Kangaroos questions I propose

Question: Should the game be played In a midweek timeslot?

Answer: I think the draw actually has a place for this fixture to be In the midweek but this could be more suitable to the weekend but not on a Friday I would prefer the game to be played on a Saturday If It was to be played on the weekend, as per my answer for the Origin I think It would be cool to see the junior kangaroos and kiwis go around before the first grade game.

Question: Should selection be on form or Incumbency?

Answer: Because It Is hard to pick a national side I would like to think the side would be picked on form but however thus hardly ever happens, you occasionally see a bolter or 2 but the side Is never revamped and sadly some players In form miss out.

Four Nations Questions

Question: Should the competition be replaced with a series between each country?
Answer: I think the Four Nations isn’t required to be played every year maybe say every 2 years but for every other year then that (outside of the world cup) i say we replace it with tours like the Kangaroo Tour to say New Zealand, England etc....

Conclusion: these questions are brought up every year and they are never answered so the answers i provided are of mine and no one else.

690 words according to the official word counter

Last edited:

Amadean

Juniors
Amadean for the Titans shouts QUEENSLANDER and charges into the fray with 747 below the bar

image.php

--------

Shouldering the burden

036956-willie-tonga.jpg

It may come as somewhat of a surprise to those who know me well that I am a proud, if often subdued, supporter of the Queensland Maroons. My pride in the mighty Maroons requires no explanation; merely belonging to the same species as Darren Lockyer makes a man proud. The quiet, passive, humble nature of my pride in the cream of God’s Own Country does also require no clarification: with five straight series wins behind us, if I were to holler, prance and rejoice I may look ungracious in victory.

Accordingly I have been quietly proud of all that our Origin representatives, well, represent. Last year, when a Blues’ supporter did pass me in the street I would calmly and politely offer the mornings’ crop of earthworms (I am a keen composter: it dulls the stench of Sydney) to them and suggest the Blues’ find inspiration in the backbone of these invertebrates. Were I perchance to encounter a native NSWelshman in an ordinary business meeting, I would assure him that I would not ‘pull an Andrew Johns’ and force him to leave the office a la Timana Tahu.

Yes, in the past I have been a calm, considerate, polite and peaceful Queensland Maroons fan. I would frequently refrain from teabagging NSCockroaches on the bus, even if they were asleep. Only twice (and at the cost of much self-restraint) did I on paper write ‘MAROON’ using my victorious Queensland blood as ink and mail the letter to random Wollongong addresses. Alas, such understanding on my part is no longer possible.

For I have been inspired.

“Inspired by whom?” I hear you cry. And a fair questions it is, for many were the potential fonts who so gloriously spewed glamorous victory into the SunCorp Stadium air on Wednesday night. There was Matthew Scott, whose tough and tireless running passed through the bravely incompetent Blues defence like turpentine through a sick donkey. There was Cameron Smith, who made a frankly ridiculous 40 tackles whilst wonderfully feeding a an equally brilliant Thurston. There was Ben Hannant who made 120-odd metres look easy, 20-tackles look simple and timely off-loads look like child’s play. Then there was Darren Lockyer: “no better horseman ever held the reins; for never horse could throw him whilst the saddle girths would stand, he learnt to ride whilst droving on the plains.”

Yet it was not these men, heroes all, who have driven me from the dark comforts of peaceful Blues-mockery. It was Willie Tonga. Willie is Canberra-born with ‘Sione’ as a middle name, and has manfully overcome these challenges to be one of the most inspirational players in League. A proud Indigenous Australian who has repeatedly represented the Indigenous All-stars, Willie Tonga has played with honour at the highest levels: Grand Finals, Internationals and Origin. But nowhere did he earn such honour as last night in Brisbane.

After a strong Queensland start, the Blues had raised the tempo, raised the pressure and started to make inroads towards the Maroon side of the field. 17 minutes gone, and the game was closely balanced, with only Thurston’s timing separating the teams. A bomb went up, and Willie launched himself into the air in a attempt to knock Dugan off the ball. An ‘accidental’ shoulder from Kade Snowden, and some solid work from Dugan, and Willie twisted in the air to land heavily on his left shoulder. The shoulder slipped from the socket momentarily before being forced back in by Willie’s momentum.

He tucked his left arm up against his chest, and had a quick word with the trainer.

He then defended another set of six.

He then had another quick word with the trainer, made a decent run, then defended another set of six.

At halftime (23 minutes later) he sought treatment and was advised that any tough knock on the shoulder would cost him an operation and the rest of the season.

So he went back out.

And played for another 40 minutes. And Queensland didn’t have to alter their substitution plans. And he made his tackles, made good metres, and stayed on the field.

He knew that the next run, tackle or leap could cost him 9 months of painful rehab. And he stayed on the field.

Willie Tonga: "I thought about what the doc had said. But this is State of Origin. I was playing for Queensland so I was willing to take that risk." Inspirational.

I’m damn proud to be a Queenslander.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Titanic for the Titans (750 OWC)
---------------------------------------------
caxton_catering_img3.jpg

Dining at Cafe Cauldron

Son: Gee Mum, I’m starving. I need a works burger right now. Living in Brisbane makes me feel Marooned. Please, pleeeaaase, can I have one!

Mother: Okay, you little Bluey, you. Here’s some coin. Run down to the Lang Park Takeaway but remember to ask for a Sticky bun as well.

S: Oh yeah, something to hold the whole thing together.

M: Now how about it, meat or chicken burger?

S: I’m really not sure. If I have a Gallen of beef then that’ll improve my protein levels but if I have a battered Creagh then my cholesterol will rage on. What a choice.

M: Look boyo, I never said anything about seafood. The choice was beef or chicken.

S: Oh I see, chicken not a chicken. You’re right, I’d rather have a Bird than just any old slab of rump.

M: That’s better, so are you going to have onions, too?

S: Bloody hell mum… give me a break. Young ones are so average and the fried ones give me Gaz.

M: Look they may not fill the gap but they do add flavor and of course, no burger is complete without a slice of beetroot. How about some fruit? Remember that time your father drove the Morris up to the Blue Mountains? We had that buffet put on by some old Coote and after eating a raw Plum I ended up in the Waterhouse having a Jennings from my Michael.

S: Stop it, that was funniest thing I’ve ever seen and you know, last night I thought that sweet and Soward was going to be fantastic but it really had no kick, so no fruit.

M: Okay then, back to the burger. I reckon it should have bacon, a pineapple ring and cheese.

S: Meh, I want shredded coconut. My mate Mad Dog told me that I could get an Uate on the Central Coast and they’re the best kind, even better than those Petero’s from Queensland.

M: You’re right. Those Uate’s are a bit of Akuila but aren’t as tough as Petero’s. I’d be careful, they can give you the runs. Don’t forget the egg.

S: How could I? Every great burger has an Ennis… really adds spice and goes well with a few Merrin or however you pronounce them.

M: There you are, back on the seafood again. Those little fresh water crawdads are tasty enough but they cramp up after just a few minutes of intense heat.

S: Great Scott, you can say that again. I’m taking my Beau down to the creek later on. I’ll try and Pearce a couple of those little dragon-things.

M: Why waste your time, just slip off and get your burger. Hey, why not get their King-sized toasted sandwich?

S: Blow that. I’d be Dugan my own grave because that just won’t go the distance.

M: All right, so Mick off then and be quick about it. I heard it was going to Snowden that way tonight.

S: You’re kidding! It never snows in Queensland but I’d better grab my Parker.

M: Bluey, can you get me a six-pack of Cooper’s, I’ve got a bit of a Thurston and feel a bit Cronk?

S: Yeah, no worries, but I’ll have to sign the form as Smith because I’m still under age. I hope they haven’t left the security Cameron.

M: Don’t stuff it up or they’ll send you to that detention centre in Tonga and that’s Myles away.

S: She’ll be right. The latest Nielsen survey said that only one in 100,000 get caught.

M: Good, I’m Boyd by that. Are any of your brothers going with you?

S: Crikey, I forgot. Sam is out celebrating Thaiday with the rest of his Asian mates. He’ll be hungry as.

M: I love those little guys with their funny names. Imagine if I called you lot Billy, Willy and Lilly?

S: But each one is a good Man, though. Not like those Arabs, I reckon they’re all related to Bin Laden. You know those blokes; Ben Dover, Ben Barba and Ben Hannant.

M: All except for that dark-eyed one. Is it Ashley’s or Harrison? He’s a bit of a Yow Yeh but not such a door Matt. Great Scott, look at the time. You’d better get a move on.

S: Don’t fret, I’m Lockyer than John Elias with a get out of jail free card but I’d better pull out Meninga before somebody recognizes my Origins.
--------------------------------

Bwuce

Juniors
Bwuce the Rabbit - May my wife forgive me as I know not what I do.

graysonperry_balloon-245x300.jpg

No son of mine is going to play with hookers

Last Saturday night, over a rare ‘all the family’ at home dinner, I was startled by the most important news of the week. "Guess which team I’m going for, Daddy?" Jack, my 5 year old, asked.

Oh how I’d been dreading this moment. I was face to face with that defining moment when my pride and joy, the fruit of my loins, was going to position himself possibly in direct competition with the team I have supported for most of my life. I did it to my father.

My dad, may he rest in peaceful bliss to my dilemma, was a New South Welshman, and further more he was a Union man. But only one sport dominated my school oval and my mates’ backyards in those halcyon days of Sixties Gold Coast – Rugby League. TV games were a non-event and you had to be content with listening to the radio or heading off to the local matches if you wanted to see the stars play.

St. George were “it” in the Sydney competition and my gran’s neighbors in Clovelly were full-on Dragons supporters. But most impressive of all was that they had members tickets to the SCG. I was invited as a guest whenever I was down that way for holidays. I can remember the late Kevin Yowyeh running down Kevin Longbottom after giving him a ten yard start.

Also St. George had any number of test players but my favourite was Billy Smith. My parents bought me a pair of football boots emblazoned with Smith's name. You’d think that his endorsement alone would have ensured my pathway to football stardom. But it did not happen. I came to realise that:

a) I had inherited none of my father's sporting talent and co-ordination;
b) a young fellow could get hurt on the football field.

After four games in two years, I hung up those boots and never played again.

Jack, I am happy to say, has shown sporting interest and ability for a while. He did not walk until 16 months, but I would have backed him in a crawling race such was his speed and agility.

After he started walking, we took him to the beach so he could stumble around on the sand and he was in awe of bigger children running up and down the beach passing a ball and tackling each other.

He started at primary school in Canberra this year and alas, the No. 1 sport appears to be rugby union. Rugby union is as different from Rugby League as netball is from soccer.

Coming from the Gold Coast, where very little rugby union was played, I know very little about the code. I am sure they have rules, I just can't work out what they are. My wife who is American is totally lost.

She asks, “Who would let their young son play a game which has a player position called a hooker?” Her logic is intrinsically correct when she states, “Rugby also has players called props, which aren't airplanes. It has scrumhalves which, presumably were scrumwholes until they were chewed up by the props.”

And furthermore, “It has outside centres and inside centres.” In her mind, no one of authority has ever pointed out that centre means right smack in the middle and it's not possible to have two of them. Then there are blind side wingers and open side wingers. How discriminatory is that? What lesson does it send to kids? Stevie Wonder probably plays on one side and Superman plays on the other”, she argues. I shudder when I explain that rugby league also has those.

I firmly believe, however, that Jack will want to play whatever sport his peer group is most interested in. Chances are that will be rugby union. The odds doubled when the local rugby union team the ACT Brumbies, played a match and Jack and his classmates were invited free of charge. I was not all that surprised when Jack brought his new, important news home from school.

"Do you know which team I go for, daddy?" he asked.

"Team? Well, no. Which team?" I said, fearing the worst.

"The Brumbies," Jack replied proudly.

"Oh, the Brumbies," I said, feigning ignorance. "And what sport do the Brumbies play, Jack?" I asked.

"Um, well," said Jack, no doubt trying to make sense of what he had heard in the playground. "They play, well, er, rugby league."
749 words

Titanic

First Grade
on behalf of Tits Anonymous for the Titans ...

here it is

[FONT=&quot]I Bet You Can’t![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bill: I bet you couldn’t do that in a thousand years.
Dave: Oh yeah! I betcha I can.
Bill: No way can you do it.
Dave: Bet I can! How much you wanna bet?
Bill: I reckon a million bucks says you can’t do it.
Dave: A million bucks! You don’t have that much.
Bill. Oh yeah, I do. How much you wanna bet that I don’t?

And so on and so forth. And so on and so forth. Much like how an addictive gambler must feel when caught in an endless cycle of not having the money to pay off his debts, with the only escape route being continuous and continued gambling. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Thus the cycle goes on until either he is extremely lucky and wins the jackpot or he catnaps with the fish a la God Father. Mind you, being an addict, should he ever win the jackpot, he would probably still end up gambling his way back into debt.

I have always found it amusing that gambling is government-sanctioned, but I suppose it would just move underground should it become illegal. At least a legally sanctioned casino pays tax. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
What is the cost to society, though, in terms of broken families? In particular, for those who eventually rely heavily on social welfare. That cost is then shared by all tax payers, ironically enough, something to which even the casinos contribute.

Enough of the negative aspects of gambling, let’s look at its positives. Most importantly, it gave birth to the thw world’s greatest sporting contest: The State of Origin. Because licensed gambling machines, better known as ‘the pokies’, were allowed in New South Wales clubs and banned in Queensland, NSW obtained a substantial financial leverage over their northern neighbours. Thus, any promising player north of the border was offered a decent salary to move south or he could remain in Queensland and work full time as well as play at the top level of the game.

Unsurprisingly many followed the money, and why wouldn’t they? This produced a very much one-sided contest as each side was represented by the players registered in their respective states. Of course, the majority of the best players were with the money in New South Wales. As a youngster I was madder than hell and couldn’t why we so often and convincingly got thumped every game. I loved this game and the players in that period were just amazing, but how unfair this situation was really got my goat. Then the idea of State of Origin hit and it was a winner from the start.

It was pleasing to hear how Arty Beetson and Queensland brethren couldn’t wait to dump their blue gurnseys and don the maroon colours. To be fair, Arty wasn’t in the NSW team at the time, and was even struggling to maintain his first grade place. This exemplified that playing for Queensland was all about heart and guts and plenty of them. Arty led them to a memorable win and to the start of an incredible interstate contest.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As time progressed, players salaries grew handsomely on both sides of the border. This natural progression of salaries has been tested by the two other popular footy codes, Union and the AFL. Poaching in Australia seems a tradition dating back to the Waltzing Matilda era.

Today the game is in an unprecedented state; high salaries for players and commitments for them to match it. Strict drinking and social behavioral clauses are standard fare in modern contracts. Fans have undreamt of involvement in the game today, with such novelties as fantasy teams and writing contests. Gambling has however also taken a huge step into the arena where you can bet on everything from who will score the first try to the last try and every conceivable event inbetween.

Sterlo gives his usual “gamble responsibly” with each plug of the betting on offer today, but it’s not the average footy fan that has me worried.

The threat lies from within league’s own ranks. There is now huge money on offer and greed can and has reared its ugly head. There is already one betting scandal going before the courts which includes people actually playing at the time of the alleged offenses.

I can assure you of one thing though; you can bet your life this will not be last such betting scandal to hit this great game of ours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Like it or not, it is here to stay.[/FONT]

Titanic

First Grade
4v4 hardly what the doctor ordered ... my apologies to the community for the Titans' lack of endeavour.

Over to ref.

Amadean

Juniors
Some nice articles there Rabbits - particularly enjoyed Bwuce's work.

TU, great to have you on board.

As for the rest, well, at least 4v4 makes for an even contest!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
whistle_2.gif
Full time scores - Round 5, 2011
Titans vs Rabbitohs

Rugby League related: 40%
Originality: 30%
Grammar, punctuation, spelling: 20%
Do I like it? 10%
Score: /100

TITANS

Titan Uranus
Bright Lights, Big City
Ref Comments: Found myself in two worlds with the Lionel Richie opening, but the player's game plan came together well. Nicely written article and thoroughly enjoyed the cross-cultural comparisons. But it took a while to find a tenuous rugby league connection. Otherwise a top read.
Words: 748
Score: 79

Amadean
Shouldering the burden
Ref Comments: Bloody Queenslander... but plenty of reason to be cocky. Well written, funny, a top read and vast improvement. Worthy of the front page. Keep it up.
Words: 747
Score: 90

Titanic
Dining at Cafe Cauldron
Ref Comments: A Master Chef performance with some bizarre recipes. Funny stuff. You know you did good but you might have overdone it with the charcoal.
Words: 750
Score: 89

Tits Anonymous
I Bet You Can’t!
Ref Comments: The touchy subject of sport and gambling, and the effects close to home. Bold subject matter only let down by a few fundamental handling errors.
Words: 748
Score: 85

TOTAL: 343

-Vs-

RABBITOHS

Marshall_magic
That’s Why They Call it the Blues
Ref Comments: Not sure if Elton John had NSW in mind when he wrote the title, but the player does the job when it comes to illustrating the woes of the Blues. Humorous as well.
Words:749
Score: 88

byrne_rovelli_fan82
Re-Connecting
Ref Comments: Some thought provoking stuff here about the role of league players and social networking. Enjoyable read. A few formatting and grammar issues detracted from an otherwise good article.
Words: 750
Score: 85

griffo346
Questions about representative football that come up every year
Ref Comments: I liked the concept of the article, coming up with new ideas in regards to the rep scene. Unfortunately there were too many grammar, formatting and punctuation errors. A good bit of proof reading could have turned this into a well written piece. Looking forward to an improvement next time round.
Words: 690
Score: 65

Bwuce
No son of mine is going to play with hookers
Ref Comments: Memories. Nicely formatted and the pieces all came together for a family yarn. Just a bit disjointed. Would be beaut to see a few more superlatives to wow the reader.
Words: 749
Score: 83

TOTAL: 321

Titans 343 def Rabbitohs 321
POTM: Amadean (Titans)

Well played everyone. :thumn

Latest posts