What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 STATE OF ORIGIN: Queensland -V- New South Wales

Jesbass

First Grade
Queensland Cane Toads -V- New South Wales Cockroaches

z-qld-main.jpg
-V-
z-nsw-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 3 reserves)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://forumsevens.com.au/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://forumsevens.com.au/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 3rd July 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Saturday 9th July 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Jesbass
Venue: Front Row Stadium

ground_tfr_1.jpg

Azkatro

First Grade
The Queensland side runs onto the field in the wake of the great Maroons' achieving their 6th consecutive series victory:

1. Azkatro (c)
2. Hallatia
3. madunit
4. Titanic
5. Willow

Reserves:
6. Didgi
7. Big Mick
8. tits&tans

joshie

Live Update Team
The New South origin team runs on the field to try and take down an all star cast of Queenslanders, led by the youngest F7 origin captain in history; here's how they line up:

Starters
Joshie (captain)
Cliffhanger
Leaguenut
Drew-sta
Alwaysgreen

Bench
Bryne_rovelli_fan82
Griffo
Raider_69

joshie

Live Update Team
Joshie takes the first hit up in a NSW jumper. He busts through an attempted tackle by Azkatro and Madunit and runs full steam ahead of fullback Hallatia, he chips the ball and plants the ball under the sticks. Jessbass runs in "DONT TALK TO ME, WERE GOING TO THE VIDEO REF"

745 OWC!

Limitless RL version

Recently the movie ‘Limitless’ has challenged viewers to truly understand how little of our brain we actually use. It is widely thought that humans in the modern era can only accesses twenty per cent of their brain; therefore eighty per cent of our brain goes to waste. This is a catastrophe in its own, imagine the quality articles being produced if one could access all he or she has ever seen or heard, imagine the things humans could accomplish. On twenty per cent we have built cities, sky scrapers, invented the internet, 3D technology, armed weapons, cars, buses, trains, multiple languages, sports and even planes. This is amazing in its own right but imagine all we have today and times that by eighty. It would be an amazing world we lived in. But this article is not about the transgressions of the movie, no this is about one’s body and what we could do with it on full capacity.

I am going to dub this theory the “Gallen Formula” named after Paul Gallen, Captain of the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, the workhorse I have based my real life game upon. He does not stop, he continues to make meters and tackles that save and score tries, and he never lies down. A true 80-minute player, he is the game’s master of the forwards. But imagine if he could access just a pinch more of his brain functions. What could he do and what would he do?

On forty per cent brain activity, players can double their work load. A player who generally plays a solid game of 80 minute football could quite possibly extend that to at least 90-minutes, due to the brains functions effectiveness. It could pump out blood a lot faster if the brain itself is working to a higher standard, thus like a player, inspiring its team to work at a better standard. The awareness and ability of the subject would be much higher, due to a faster comprehension rate, and they would be able to asses most obstacles at hand.

Extend that to eighty per cent, and this is the height of the ‘Gallen Theory’. In my ‘educated’ opinion of this subject, I believe that it would be the peak for athletes. This is where mistakes can still slip into the game and they can be unaware of what is to come. The brain would probably allow a further ten to fifteen minutes of game time, and would become a super warrior. The player would be able to play at a very high standard of the mental game, asses and make split second decisions that would benefit all parties. The ability to sense where a hit could be coming from or if they are about to be blindsided may also become a talking point inside the brain to determine a positive outcome. The brain would also be able to function for longer making the mental battle an even bigger aspect of the sport. This would be the ultimate player, able to make more metres by citing gaps that they can exploit, telling their players where to stand and how to run and also asses when a chip kick will be its most effective.

If you extended the brain to its full functionality, the sport world would not exist. We could become super humans, capable of anything and sports would become far too easy. People could assess how and where to run in split second decisions and they would be perfect one hundred per cent of the time. They would also lose their ability to make mistakes, as their perfect brains are running the perfect game. We would probably also create robots to play sports for us if we were that smart. We would be at the height of our brain activity, and selfishness. The world would be a horrid place.

So you see, just like in the movie ‘Limitless’ the more power one has, the better their whole life becomes. But if you give someone too much power, they won’t give it back. It may be possible that at points throughout history, people have been able to access more than usual amounts of their brain, but I also have no doubts that Adolf Hitler could have been one of these men. Genghis Khan may have been another. People say money is the roots of all evil, well add the perfect brain to the equation; you are just waiting to become the devil.

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut takes a hitup for the MIGHTY BLUES!!!

z-nsw-main.jpg

Corpudsneoayatus

Sometimes you’ll do anything to win.

Imagine your worst nightmare for a second – that one nasty lump of evil lurking deep inside you that makes you break out into a cold sweat. The bubbling cesspit of pure horror that festers away nice and quietly but erupts into a torrent of vile toxic slime once you poke it with a stick.

Now imagine being willing to drink that toxic slime each and every day if you could just … get … a … win.

That’s what drove two senior members of a well-known management team into the office of Dr Kovac. For the sake of this story, let’s call them Geoff and George.

Dr Kovac knew exactly what they’d be asking for even before they’d sat down. George was just about to launch into his desperate speech before Dr Kovac raised a hand to stop him, his eyes focussed downwards onto his mahogany desk.

“I can help you, gentlemen.”

Geoff was taken aback and cocked his eyebrows slightly. George sat forward in his chair, slightly open-mouthed, then slowly twisted to look at Geoff. They were both thinking the same thing – “is this guy for real?”

“Corpudsneoayatus.”

“Sorry, what?”

“Corpudsneoayatus. It’s OK, I’ll give you time to get your tongues around it.”

George tried first. “Corpudnayata… what?”

“Cor…puds…neo…ayatus.”

Geoff suddenly shook into action. “Doctor, I’m not sure we’re on the same page here.”

“It’s OK gentlemen. I know your pain – I’ve seen the team struggle, I’ve shared in your emotional suffering, I know how hard it must be. With my help, and a little Corpudsneoayatus, you’ll be right to go next year.”

Geoff still had his eyebrows raised. He lowered one slightly, trying to read this shifty-looking doctor, desperately searching for a sign that he should proceed.

George didn’t have time for that garbage. “So this little pill will do the trick, aye?”

“Absolutely.”

“Would you guarantee a win?” asked George, pushing his luck.

“Absolutely.”

Once again, George was lost for words.

Geoff decided to take the lead. “Look, it’s really no good to us unless it’s completely undetectable in our players.”

“It’s not for the players.”

Geoff looked puzzled. “Who the hell is it for then?”

“You need to get these to all your supporters.”

“Ok, ok, ok, hang on a minute here. You’re telling me if our supporters take these Corpud-something-or-others, you’ll guarantee our team a win?!?”

“It’s all mental my friends. The teams aren’t actually all that different – the only substantial advantage the opposition holds is their supporters.”

“You’re mad Doctor. How is a pill that gives us better supporters going to make a difference?”

“Surely you know that no-one likes your coach.”

“Bollocks” said Geoff.

“Shut up Geoff, he’s absolutely right. Carry on Doctor.”

“Your supporters have the potential to be just as passionate as the other mob. There’s no question. But they just can’t get past the fact that your coach is an arrogant fool. Once they can get past that, you’ll be unstoppable.”

Geoff and George sat silently. The truth hurts.

“This magic little pill sets off various triggers in the brain to over-ride that sort of rational thought. We know there are a hundred reasons to hate him, but Corpudsneoayatus attacks each rational, logical reason and can make everyone love him. Just one pill will last for more than enough time to get our team back up top, where it belongs.”

“You’re telling me we need to give one of these pills to every single one of our supporters? That’s impossible! How on earth could we do something like that?”

“There are ways, my friends. Take a look at these testimonials.” Dr Kovac pulled out a manilla folder full of signed pages.

The first one outlined how the Warriors used it in the beer sold at Mt Smart to win the fans over once Brent Tate had been signed. “They hated him” said the good doctor, “they needed to do this to keep Brent alive.”

The second one covered Willie Mason’s introduction to the Cowboys, and the third one outlined how Brett Kimmorley was eventually welcomed into the Sharks.

“It works – trust me.”

Geoff and George walked outside, each glancing at the clouds on their way. It was obvious they’d be using it, they just weren’t sure yet how to use it – but they’d figure something out.

“Funny name though aye?” said Geoff. “Corpudsneoayatus. It almost looks like it’s an anagram of something, you know, like they’ve shuffled the letters around.”

“You reckon?”

--------------------------------------------------
746 words in the official counter

And just in case you're wondering......

Up yours Canetoads

joshie

Live Update Team
In the interest of the match I would like to request that full-time be extended to Sunday at 6pm. The blues have been struck with a terrible case of writers block, but i am very confident that we can secure a 5 v 5 should the match end on sunday. I completely understand Azkatro if you wish to keep the game on scheduale but considering Jessbass the referee is out of town until sunday anyway, it may not be a problem.

over to you Azkatro.

Sub
Griffo ON
Drew-Sta OFF

Azkatro

First Grade
You guys need to get in contact with Jesbass who is the person to make the decision both as the match referee and F7's boss. I have PM'ed Jesbass to let him know you're keen to extend fulltime. If it's the only way the match can be 5v5, I'm happy with a 24 hour extension - but again it can only happen on the referee's authority I believe.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for Queensland

One Confused Man

Interviewer: Good evening and welcome. Tonight I am talking one on one with New South Wales State of Origin coach, Ricky Stuart. Ricky, thanks for joining us.
Stuart: Pleasure.
Interviewer: You said at the start of the series that you would be happy if the Blues won just one game in the series. They managed just that, do you feel satisfied with the result?
Stuart: I think the boys did well, I’d even go as far to say that they exceeded my expectations of them.
Interviewer: You didn’t think they’d be able to compete as well as they did?
Stuart: Well no. I knew we’d go close, but I didn’t expect it to get as close as it did. I actually had to remind the boys at half time in game three about our goal for the series.
Interviewer: To win the series on enemy turf and rain on Lockyer’s parade?
Stuart: No, to win just one game.
Interviewer: Wait. You didn’t want to the series?
Stuart: Hang on, we want to win a series, we have to, it’s been too long since we won a series. But not this series.
Interviewer: Doesn’t that make competing in this series irrelevant?
Stuart: Not at all. This series was all about proving me right. That is the quickest and best way to gain the publics, the selectors and the player’s faith in me for next year.
Interviewer: So you wanted one win, you got the one win, so you’re seen as some sort of angry Nostradamus?
Stuart: Exactly.
Interviewer: So what is your goal for next year?
Stuart: To win two games.
Interviewer: So in 2012, New South Wales will end Queensland’s six years of dominance.
Stuart: No. My goal isn’t to win the series in 2012. That’s my goal for 2013. I just want us to win two games in 2012.
Interviewer: You want to win two games …
Stuart: Yes
Interviewer: … in the best of three series …
Stuart: That’s right
Interviewer: … which will give you the series victory …
Stuart: You’re almost there
Interviewer: … in 2013?
Stuart: Exactly!
Interviewer: So who will win the series in 2012 then?
Stuart: Well we’ll have to wait and see won’t we.
Interviewer: Okay. Um, moving on then, what are your thoughts on Paul Gallen’s performance this year?
Stuart: Gal was awesome. Obviously I had to rein him in during Game three, he was almost inspiring the boys to victory. I couldn’t have him proving me wrong and throwing all our carefully planned goals out of whack.
Interviewer: Right. Were there any other players who stepped up in your opinion in this series?
Stuart: Oh absolutely. Matt Scott, young Yow Yeh, even Dane Nielsen showed a lot of promise …
Interviewer: I meant from New South Wales.
Stuart: … oh right, of course you did. Well there was a vast improvement from Mitchell Pearce, who was a nobody until I started coaching him this year, now he’s world class. There’s also the world’s best hooker Michael Ennis and the world’s greatest fullback Josh Dugan. These kids were brilliant.
Interviewer: They aren’t the world’s best in their respective positions though, are they?
Stuart: Yes they are. Who do they have to compete with? No one from England or New Zealand is as good as them. France hasn’t had any decent players since the sixties …
Interviewer: Well there’s the incumbent Australian test players; Thurston, Smith and Slater.
Stuart: Well yeah, but they aren’t from the world, they’re from Queensland.
Interviewer: Moving on, again. What did you make of the officiating in the series?
Stuart: It was hopeless. Pathetic. The refereeing single handedly cost us the series …
Interviewer: A series you didn’t want to win …
Stuart: Well, if we had full intentions of winning this series …
Interviewer: Which you didn’t …
Stuart: Right, well some of those dubious decisions cost us the third game.
Interviewer: Which you didn’t want to win …
Stuart: And essentially the series.
Interviewer: Which you didn’t want to win.
Stuart: That’s right.
Interviewer: So the referees helped you reach your goal essentially?
Stuart: No. They cost us the chance to win the series, if we had planned to win the series.
Interviewer: Ricky Stuart thanks for your time.
Stuart: How do you get out of here?
Interviewer: Through that exit door
Stuart: That doesn’t make sense.

721 words, including title, in OWC

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Maroons
QLD-blues-f7s.gif

_________

au·dit

   /ˈɔ
thinsp.png
dɪt
/ Show Spelled[aw-dit] Show IPA
–noun
1. an official examination and verification of accounts and records, especially of financial accounts.

2. a report or statement reflecting an audit; a final statement of account.

3. the inspection or examination of building or other facility to evaluate or improve its appropriateness, safety, efficiency, or the like: An energy audit can suggest ways to reduce home fuel bills.

4. Archaic . a judicial hearing.

5. Obsolete . an audience.

For the cynics out there, definition No.5 could make the most sense when it comes to understanding the scope of audit handed out to the Melbourne Storm in 2010.

In August 2002, after the Bulldogs were found cheating, the National Rugby League announced that players' tax returns would be scrutinised. CEO David Gallop said NRL auditors will have the power to check player earnings and these earnings had to match what the club said they were being paid.

In the same report from 2002, Gallop warned that any future premiers will have their title stripped if they are found to have severely breached the salary cap.

Gallop's words: "The rules give the NRL absolute discretion..."

So every club was warned well in advance. So why did the Storm ignore the warnings?

Like a lot of supporters, I was angered when it was revealed that Melbourne has ripped off the league's salary cap to the tune of $3.17million over five years (2006-2010). This meant the Storm had kept players that would otherwise be playing in other clubs. It also meant that for five years the Storm had won games they may have otherwise lost. This included semi-finals and grand finals.

Prior to being caught out, there was already a growing resentment towards the Melbourne club. Set up in 1998 during the wake of the Super League war, the Storm were given numerous concessions in regards to funding and access to juniors. They were the brainchild of News Limited and headed up by John Ribot, the key instigators of the war. The resentment escalated and was soon directed towards the players when it became apparent they were being coached into performing dangerous 'grapple tackles' and 'chicken wings' on the field. It was not a good look.

Nevertheless, amidst the suspicion, resentment and anger, the News Ltd owned franchise won three grand finals in their first 12 seasons. On the surface it looked to be a great achievement for rugby league in Victoria.

But they were cheating.

In early 2010, the NRL broke new ground when they stripped the Storm of two premierships (2007 and 2009) as well as three minor premierships (2006-2008). In addition, the club were ordered to pay back prize money, to be divided amongst the other 15 clubs. Plus, of course, for 2010 the Storm were not allowed to earn any premiership points. The team played the rest of the season knowing that the wooden spoon awaited them in September.

The subsequent Deloitte Report tried to probe the players, player managers and administrators. It was hard yakka for Deloitte as a number of those involved refused to be interviewed. Nevertheless, the report identified a few managers, including Allan Gainey and Isaac Moses who represented Storm captain Cameron Smith, and reportedly signing two contracts for their respective clients. Everyone maintained their innocence.

At the end of the day, club directors Rob Moodie, Gerry Ryan and Peter Maher were shown the door. Interestingly, one of the reasons given for the trio's sacking was that they "declined to be interviewed" [by Deloitte]. The star players who were equally obstinate were encouraged to stay on.

Naturally, there was whinging permeating throughout the entire saga. Players, administrators and Storm fans crying foul at the NRL's decision - demanding that the premierships be recognised. But there's no excuse, Gallop warned everyone way back in 2002.

So why didn't they heed the warnings?

Unfortunately, threat of legal action (life is too short) and the old boy's network ensures that we'll never know the full story. But maybe, just maybe there was greater profit to be made through cheating. The fines, the embarrassments, the forced deflections, the sackings... it might have been worth it for those who were able to walk away or wash their hands of the issue. With premierships come commissions and appointments. How many have to hand back their earnings?

Perhaps the time for the NRL to start prosecuting cheaters in a court of law isn't that far away.

_________
Words | 750
Ref |
Definition | Dictionary.com
SMH Article | http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/four-agents-named-in-report-on-storm-rort-20110218-1azip.html?skin=text-only
Crikey Article | (Deloittes Report) http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/07/15/deloitte-report-crunches-storm-salary-cap-numbers-and-they-aint-pretty/
Foxsports Article | http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/melbourne-storm-salary-cap-breach-tallies-317-million-over-five-years/story-fn2mcuj6-1225923040882

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
Queensland_Maroons.jpg

Azkatro for the Maroons.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The true Queensland legend

They always carry on about Queensland’s passion and spirit. These days though, it seems a bit over the top.

There is one game that stands in my mind as genuinely defining the legacy. One night in May 1992, the commentators didn’t have to force it down our throat. It happened before our very eyes.

It was almost 20 years ago now that Queensland levelled the 1992 series with a 5-4 win over New South Wales.

It was always going to be a memorable night. A statue of the King, Wally Lewis, had been unveiled before kickoff.

In front of 31,500 vociferous Queenslanders at Lang Park, the tone was set in just the third minute when Mal Meninga was denied a try after the last pass was ruled forward by NSW referee Bill Harrigan.

The cries of NSW bias increased further as Martin Bella and Peter Jackson were sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes, making it 13 on 11. What followed was almost unbearable tension as Queensland managed to hold out the Blues.

A huge sigh of relief washed over us as Bella and Jackson returned to the field. This was underscored by Billy Moore who scored soon after. His now famous finger waggle at the camera reflected how relieved and thrilled we were after the worrying start. We’d survived two in the bin and now had a 4-nil lead. The belief to win went up a notch.

Despite enjoying a period of dominance with the ball, including one passage where NSW withstood 18 consecutive tackles, Queensland failed to score again.

As the match wore on in wet conditions, points were few and far between. The tension continued to build as as Bill Harrigan handed NSW 4 points via penalties.

Having missed the conversion for Billy Moore’s try, Mal Meninga also missed a penalty attempt with his near extinct toe-first kicking style. With Wishart nailing his penalties using the new widely accepted “around-the-corner” method, it added to our frustrations and nerves.

In the back of our minds we knew NSW should win and win well. Nothing highlighted this more than a kicking duel between Dale Shearer and Ricky Stuart. Shearer was no match for the booming boot of Stuart. And every time Allan Langer attempted a long kick on the last tackle, the distance seemed pitiful. The top-spin he put on his kick made the short distance even shorter, as the ball dropped more sharply from its apex.

As full time approached, the issue of field position became even more crucial. And NSW seemed to be slowly winning the battle. Feelings of defeat were infiltrated our thoughts. It was only a matter of time before the Blues finished the Maroons off.

Realising that points were far and few between, Ricky Stuart got into a good position and attempted a field goal. Our hearts sunk as soon as it left his boot but he missed.

Queensland just couldn’t get to the other end. Hope was fading fast and Stuart had another go at field goal. Surely he wouldn’t miss twice in a row. I couldn’t bear to watch and I thought he missed – but I looked over to Dad just to make sure.

He clapped his hands in glee and shouted, “you beauty, he missed again! Sucked in you useless prick!”

We really hated Ricky Stuart, even back then.

His missed attempts buoyed our hopes. When Brad Fittler knocked on from a scrum with just a couple of minutes remaining, our hope increased. The Lang Park crowd lifted. Wally’s spirit seemed to come into play as his towering statue loomed large outside the ground. Queensland started to forge up the field and soon crossed the halfway line.

As the tackle count wore on I was desperate for them to get it out to big Mal. Surely he could bust through the line and save us again?

While I pleaded for them to get it wide, Allan Langer snapped a field goal without warning to make it 5-4. There was less than a minute to go. “Alfie” had done it.

The relief and excitement exploded in the room. Screams of raw emotion erupted from us all as, on our grainy television screen, Langer casually jogged back while removing his mouth guard. Not even a smirk crossed his face.

Queensland had added to the legend. They had won against all odds.

And in the eyes of a state, the man Allan Langer became a hero.

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan82 for the Blues

~~

Keep that Aussie flavour

An old F7s article titled: 'Worthwhile Aussie Invasion’ showcased the need for Aussie players in the Warriors.

It is a position I still believe in, as the fans back in New Zealand have fallen into a dangerous trap, ever since the great resurrection of the Kiwis team and the success they have accomplished in recent times.

Since late last year and into this season all I have heard from Warriors fans is a constant call to have more New Zealand players in the Warriors first grade team.

According to the fans the Aussie players have no place in the Warriors because all they are doing is blocking the pathway for younger Kiwi players.

This is a constant argument no matter what happens and nothing will ever make the fans satisfied until they get what they want.

It is difficult to see the Warriors become an all Kiwis team; there will be some Aussies in it somewhere from the playing squad to the coaching staff.

‘And as much as people have a gripe, there will be some Australian influence in the history of the Warriors. They add balance; grit and a determined strive to win. Aussie passion ranks as the best in the world.’ - Quoted from 'Worthwhile Aussie Invasion'

So let us take a look at a few of these players.

1 – Michael Luck: Moving down from the Cowboys he has turned into the Warriors number 1 tackler and the team’s best defender. He’s made this a reputation on his own through his endless work ethic. It also rubs off on the team in particular with youngster Elijah Taylor; learning off a player like Luck is tremendous for his development.

2 – James Maloney: He had a very sporadic start to his NRL career gaining only 4 matches in the top grade with the Melbourne Storm. Even before this he was just waiting his turn in the lower grades. Now he’s one of the most talked about players in the Warriors top squad from a virtual no name. His confidence has grown and his talent has become more apparent with the more game time he receives.

3 – Brent Tate: Though he has since moved on to the Cowboys, and his own stint with the Warriors didn’t completely go to plan, without a doubt he left a very good impression on everybody. Being one of the elder guys in the senior team he would take control when needed. He learned to play with his wingers much better and did far more passing then he normally would; but more importantly he helped the younger guys around him. One particular moment stands out. Warriors v Sea Eagles in 2009. Youngster Ukuma Ta’ai had made a number of handling errors when he came on, regardless it was Tate whom pushed Ta’ai to have another go immediately after he made the mistake.

The Warriors will always use the Aussie talent at their disposal it is hard to argue against, as they have a certain aura about them, one that has put ruby league on the map.

They made rugby league and even gave the Warriors the opportunity to join their competition. Even more, they are the ones to taste success at the highest level long before the Kiwis become a force. Importantly it was the Aussies who held the dream of premiership glory.

Just like the 15 other NRL clubs the Warriors are in this competition for the reason of winning; and making league in NZ on par with union. They are not just in it to provide a pathway for the Kiwis, but if they unearth talented Kiwi players along the way then it is credit to them.

As the fans have seen the Kiwis have become better because the players chosen to represent the country’s team are not tied down to the one NZ team; they are evenly spread.

Q: Would Benji Marshall be the same player he is now, at the West Tigers, if he played for the Warriors?

He is already a brilliant player and had all the skills, but whether the Warriors would be able to bring it out of him is difficult to answer.

A similar question can asked of Michael Luck and James Maloney; we may not have seen the benefits of these two if they’d stayed at their previous clubs. It just so happened; being at the Warriors has helped them, as they have helped the club.

~~

742 words between the '~'
Reference: Worthwhile Aussie Invasion Forum 7s piece from '08-'09 season I think...can't remember for sure.

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
Cliffy on for the blues.

737 words.

The Tortoise and the Hare

IT is a quesion which most Rugby League fans have had on their mind at one stage, is it better to have a player riddled with natural ability but who is notorious for underacheiving or a player lacking natural gifts but tries their heart out for 80 minutes week every week?

While we would all prefer the stars of our sides to be both blessed with natural skills and the heart of a lion, there is no doubt Rugby League has a great deal of players who primarily belong to just one of catorgories.

Behold, Knights captain Kurt Gidley, there is no doubt Gidley always tries hard for the full 80. His strong work ethic and great attitude has seen him become captain of his club and state, and his fitness and versatility have made him a true asset. However, Gidley for all his strengths, is the jack of all trades but master of none, while his effort is always there, he is not the type of player capable of winning his side a premiership.

While the Knights' captain has the athleticism and determination, he just does not have the natural talent or instinct which make a player a match winner. No unpredictable step, no insanely accurate kicking game, and no bag of tricks that never runs out. There is a reason Gidley was exposed on Wednesday night in trying to spark something for NSW despite his gallant effort and it rests in the fact he is not a truly naturally gifted Rugby League player.

On the other side of the spectrum you have players like Jarryd Hayne, one of the most naturally gifted players in the league. Hayne has been praised for his talent almost as much as he has been criticised for his laziness. He has constantly been guilty of going missing for extended periods during a match especially at the most critical moments. However, when Hayne steps up he is practically unstoppable, in 2009 he almost singlehandedly took the Eels out of wooden spoon contention and into a finals birth over the final 9 rounds of the season and it is not only at a club level which Jarryd Hayne has been a beacon for his side. From 2007 to 2010 he held the hopes of NSW on his shoulders. For NSW fans Hayne provided most of their rare reasons to cheer. There is no doubt Hayne has provided NSW and Eels' fans some very fond memories over the years, but for every good moment there have been several disappointing ones by disappearing at key moments.

Kurt Gidley is always ready and willing, he never leaves fans wondering where he was when the game was in the balance. This is his advantage over players like Jarryd Hayne, he is always where he needs to be. He might no have the those special skills which enable a player to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and flip it when the chips are down, but he puts it all on the line every week.

With Jarryd Hayne on the other hand, you just never know what game he will bring, one round you get the superstar; the next round you are left wondering where he was when something needed to be created. When Hayne works as hard as Gidley he matches it with the best. He joins Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Benji Marshall, he becomes one of the players who can do anything. This is the case with all the most naturally gifted players in the competition, the only thing which can hold them back is their attitude or the effort which they put in. However your players which always put in 110 per cent but lack those natural instinct and skill will always be limited in their ability to influence big matches at crucial moments. It is the plays which win premierships that their tenacity cannot enable them to produce.

Improving a player's work ethic as tedious a task as it may be, is still possible, however instinct cannot be taught, just as natural gifts cannot be passed from one player to another. So who is the better option, the player you can always count on or the one who can do almost anything, when they choose to show up?

Think about if given the choice between Kurt Gidley or Jarryd Hayne who would you choose?

Hallatia

Referee
Hallatia for Queensland in the 11th hour

-------------------------
Expansion

Truth be told, this article isn’t really about expansion, but the heading fits if you will allow me to show you the real heart of this piece in the light of expansion. Perhaps this article could be called: Why I hate the Gold Coast Titans and believe they deserve the wooden spoon this year.

In the light of current expansion talks, I can’t help but be reminded of the last ones, the product of which being the Gold Coast Titans’ introduction to the NRL competition in 2007. The expansion talks which led to the inclusion of the Titans started in 2004. Such expansion talks have some similarities to the current ones with both being three horse races, with each horse representing a significantly different location.

The three horses in that race were the Wellington Orcas, the Central Coast Bears and of course the Gold Coast Titans. At the time, I like many others wanted a third Queensland side brought into the NRL and was right behind the Gold Coast bid. The inclusion a of a third Queensland team seemed as though it would be great for the NRL for a number of reasons, all of which appeared as though they would b great for rugby league in Australia from the ground up.

As it was Queensland were underrepresented in the NRL. This underrepresentation meant for a lot of younger Queensland players, in order to make it into the top grade relocation was necessary. As Queensland Cup is not the top grade and the NRL only had two sides based in Queensland, one of which is in far north Queensland, southern Queensland rugby league was not being adequately nurtured.

I like many league supporters believed it was the NRL’s responsibility to provide the extra nurturing that had been missing. It seemed logical-as Michael Searle had been telling us-to fix this problem by including a Gold Coast side in the NRL. To me this meant that we would start to see many more Gold Coast juniors make the NRL as they were being given a good avenue to break through.

Gold Coast appeared to offer many promising young guys too, the problem however was that once the NRL had agreed to allow them in the club management weren’t interested in why they were let in or doing right by the Gold Coast. The Titans were interested in recruitment. I will admit that recruitment is essential for any new side, but to me the point of allowing the side in was to help blood more local juniors who needed this team to offer them a way in.

Since their inclusion in 2007, we’ve seen the Gold Coast Titans represented by many older guys who had already established first graders. On paper this looked great for the Titans because on paper they had a great roster with plenty of experience. In reality however, you cannot buy a premiership and a list of good players does not equate to the team. This is why I hate the Titans and feel they deserve failure, because they need to realise what I know. They also need to realise that it’s a darned shame that rather than building a team with a few established players helping to blood younger guys into top grade, what the Titans had actually done was just buy a team.

We have seen a couple of local juniors come through fantastically, but they appear to be outliers in 2011, 4 years after their instatement. We still see many experienced players who had been bred elsewhere, few local juniors and a cellar dwelling Toyota Cup side. What this amounts to is the Gold Coast side not serving the Gold Coast at all. Whilst yes, these tactics had helped them to a few finals series early in their history, they are tactics which are a blight on the NRL and defeat the purpose of their bid.

I do want expansion, but I want expansion with the view to grow rugby league from the ground up to see talent continue to emerge from different parts of the country (and New Zealand), but new sides should have the view to blood their own young talent and not just buy the already established.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Why does no one ever think of the time keeper when trying to make up the rules on the run?

The old clock...

Full time somewhere between Tokyo and Timbuktu...

clock_0.gif

joshie

Live Update Team
Hey azkatro I think a 4-4 game is fair enough and no time on plus jess never replied haha!

But well done to my blues, very proud of you all :) great hustle guys!

And solid effort maroons :)

Titanic

First Grade
crap ... sorry Maroons. I have never missed a game in 4 years and got suckered into this "we need to extend the deadline" bulldust. I suggest that next time you get your bloody selves organised .. not all of us have hours to decipher what is being offered as fair play or not.

In fact, how about this ... I will post today and the Blues can try and fill their gap as they requested and make it 5v5?

Latest posts