What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 WILLOW CUP FINAL: Bluebags -V- Ninjas

Jesbass

First Grade
WILLOW CUP KNOCK OUT TOURNAMENT - FINAL
NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS v CHUCK NORRIS TEXAS DEATH NINJAS
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif
-V-
jersey_ninjas_1.gif

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams:
* 3 -V- 3 (+ 4 reserves for each team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

Kick Off: Sunday 12 June 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Saturday 18 June 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Jesbass
Venue: Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

NOTE: The winner of this match will claim the Willow Cup for 2011.​

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The big blue bus has arrived at The Front Row Stadium for the mid-season cup final.

NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS TEAM
| WILLOW CUP KNOCK OUT TOURNAMENT - CUP FINAL |

DecoyRunner
Cliffhanger
Willow (c)

Bench:
AlwaysGreen (vc)
Timmah
Rexxy
RHCP

Good luck one and all. :thumn

joshie

Live Update Team
The Ninjas pull up excited for their first EVER grand final in history. albeit a mid season final, but hey, rome must fall, right Bluebags ;)

Starting
1. Edabomb
2. James Gould
3. Joshie (captain)

Bench
4. hala
5. gUt
6. Raider69
7. Paulquinn

joshie

Live Update Team
Joshie steps up as captain for the mighty ninjas in the willow cup grand final :)
* please note that the content in this article is not a direct reflection on this site, the ninjas or me. I am in NO way making accusations against the individuals involved in this piece. Thanks for understanding*

____________________________________________________________________________________
E.R.B.L.H

I was bored on YouTube the other night when I came across a very interesting and funny idea; epic rap battles of history. This guy by the name of ‘Nicepeter’ creates two of these a month, and they are some of the most creative videos I have ever seen. I absolutely love them! So I was thinking; who would Rugby League have battle and who'd win? Here is my attempt to show you, I hope you enjoy!

EPIC RAP BATTLE OF LEAGUE HISTORY! Battle One: Joey Johns VERSUS Matty Johns!

BEGIN!

Joey
Hey look what we have here it’s my brother
The golden child in the eyes of our mother
He’s the one who goes to Auckland to see a girl
But what he and 20 others did makes me hurl!

Matty
I may do things to make you sick
But at least someone actually wants to suck my d**k
Cause you’re the Origin star, you never had a low game
Little did the world know you were stuck on cocaine!

THE END!

The crowd goes wild as they chant both names, but who won? As the Judges deliberate, the verdict is in and the winner is…….

MATTHEW JOHNS! The older child beats his younger brother into oblivion and he advances into the final!

As the next two combatants step up, the world knows it’s going to be good! The lights dim and the MC come out!
EPIC RAP BATTLE OF LEAGUE HISTORY! Battle Two: Brett Stewart VERSUS David Gallop!

BEGIN!

Stewart
Yo look here at this chump he looks like J. Howard
Annoying to listen to, plus he’s a coward
He suspended me for an unsustained crime
Now look at him he’s about to do time
Because when I hit the stage your under cardiac arrest
Old man sit down…. you’ve been blessed!

Gallop
Little boy quit your whining
Listen to my rap here it is shining
I hold the power in every situation
Even if it’s only just an allegation
I’ll take you out, I’ll take your title
When you hear me speak you’re like “Oh is that Bible?”
But when you realise it’s me, take some cover
‘Coz ill slice you up, like OJ’s lover!

THE END!

The crowd are in awe and cannot speak after the mayhem that has just occurred. The crowd are leaning more towards Gallop after his sick rhyme, but some do think Stewart deserves the win! The judges reveal the score card! And the winner is….

DAVID GALLOP!

EPIC RAP BATTLE OF LEAGUE HISTORY! Battle Three: Paul Gallen VERSUS Todd Carney!

BEGIN!

Gallen
Over the years, my teams have been deprived
But now my commandment is here and revived
I’m up against some tattooed thug
Obviously this kid needs a hug
Cause I cart it up like I do in the game
Just like the media, I’ma put you to shame
Your tears are gonna flow by the 'Gallen'
Put you away where you belong, you’re a felon!

Carney
I’m up against some fool who thinks he is a team
He needs to share the ball, for them to win anything
He gets picked for the Blues by his lover
Ricky Stuart gets a Gallen under the covers
I’d like to see you go in my shoes
Where’s my crack in the Blues
But that’s rights I don’t sleep my way to stardom
A cup of cement boy and maybe you’ll harden!

THE END!

The crowd go crazy at the conclusion of the battle! And the judges bring the score back fast. And the winner is….

PAUL GALLEN!

Now ladies and Gentlemen IT’S TIME FOR THE LAST BATTLE!
EPIC RAP BATTLES OF LEAGUE HISTORY! Battle Four: Gallen VERSUS Gallop VERSUS Matty Johns!

BEGIN

Gallen
So I’m facing the boss and a women disrespecter
I’ma tear this shit up and eat you both up like H-Lector
Like a shark I smell blood in the water
Matty that girl coulda been hotter
Mr Gallop let me take you outback
Shoot you down, cause you’re WHACK!

Gallop
You all say that I don’t do my job
And it’s all these opinions that you lob
But you never could say it my face
You’re both a big disgrace!

Johns
What the hell do you call that section
I could get a better semi erection
There’s no way you goody two shoes can win
Because he who casts the first stone, is full of sin!

THE END!
WHO WON? YOU DECIDE!

jamesgould

Juniors
For the Ninjas:

RIP, Rex

It’s been a bad week for rugby league’s iconic commentators. First of all Ray Warren announced he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer, and then this morning we learned that Rex Mossop had passed away, aged 83.

The Moose will go down as one of the best rugby league commentators – well known for his “calling it how he saw it” approach. He certainly wasn’t afraid to let his opinion be known.

It got me thinking however, how much rugby league coverage has changed from the days when Rex ruled the roost, or even when Rabs took over the commentary for Channel Nine in the early 90s.

The early 90s is when I began to follow rugby league. Being a resident of Wellington, New Zealand, it was pretty tough in those days to keep totally up to date. We had televised games on Channel 2 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Usually starting at around 11:30 – meaning it was a treat if we were allowed to stay up and watch them. If we weren’t, it was a case of setting the VCR, and watching the game the next day, or for a Sunday game, the next afternoon after school.

There was no need to avoid the results though – the only way you could find them was on the radio or the newspaper. The radio did take coverage of the ABC call by Pete Wilkins and Warren Ryan – as long as there was no local rugby union match which took precedence. So if your team’s game wasn’t match of the day, at least you could get updates. If your team played Saturday night (admittedly rare in those days) then it was time to cross your fingers that the radio mentioned the result the next day. Otherwise it was a wait for the Monday night paper to look in the results column to find out who won.

Rugby League Week was my only real in-depth source of information about the Australian comp. This is where you would find out who your team had signed, injuries, anything like that. I remember in 1995 when Superleague broke, there was little information about it until that week’s Rugby League Week came out.

We got pay-tv in our household in 1999 which allowed us to see regular season games live. Eventually by the mid-2000s, virtually every game was live on Sky, including Channel Nine games that are delayed in Australia.

The advent of the internet was a huge revelation. Suddenly there was fingertip access to news articles about rugby league, scoreboards, injury lists, fixtures – the lot. I think it was the year 2000 when the Sydney Morning Herald started the LeagueHQ website, which was a brilliant source of information.

That was a huge leap, but there has been just as big a change in the last few years. I remember going out during a Knights game in 2007, and having a friend from Australia text me score updates. There was no other way to keep in touch. Now we have smartphones with access to the internet, and apps on these phones that will give you the latest score updates for every single game. There’s no reason to ever not be in the loop with what is happening – and should you want to avoid the result and watch the game when you get home, it is now more of an effort to avoid any spoilers than it is to find them out.

I can only imagine that in a few years time we will be able to watch live coverage of games on our phones.

It is of course a huge improvement in every way imaginable. But, I can’t help but think fondly of those days when information was scarce and following your side was a 24 hour occupation. In those days, commentators like Rex Mossop were the game. So much of your experience with the game came through these personalities, that it was almost impossible to separate them.

Rex was a little before my time, but that is how I felt about Ray Warren, Graeme Hughes and Pete Wilkins, as a youngster.

With so much coverage these days, and the ability to stay updated in so many different forms, it must be difficult for a youngster coming into rugby league now to imagine. But I tip my hat to the commentators of 20 years ago. So thank you Rex Mossop, et al., for making rugby league the greatest game that is to me today.

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb for the Ninjas
---------------------------------------------------------------

This month's excerpt comes from rugby league bad boy Trent Anderson's new book - Rugby League Convict.

My Dark Summer

Towards the end of the season it was revealed that we were chasing one of the hottest properties in the league, a young fullback from the Bulldogs by the name of Rick Fox. He was twenty years old and stuck behind an Australian representative at the Bulldogs; we could almost double his other offers. Sure enough it was confirmed in August that Rick was set to join us and claim my spot at fullback.

I was panicked straight away by the announcement. I’d foolishly relied on being re-signed when taking out a mortgage eighteen months ago, but then again I was one of our top players over the past few seasons. I had one year to run on my deal and needed to play another two years after that to be secure financially. At our end of season meeting the club let me know they saw me as the first choice five eighth for next season. I knew I could fill a role at five eighth better than anyone else at the club, but I also knew at 28 I wasn’t going to push much of a case to extend my career in that position.

I knew I had to do something. I couldn’t risk ending my football career with close to two hundred thousand dollars remaining on my mortgage. My biggest achievement in education was using my football abilities to get the hottest girl in school. When you add in my prior conviction I certainly didn’t have a ‘nine to five’ waiting for me after football, and having a young family just added to the stress.

During our November preseason I recommitted. I aspired to become Monk like in my dedication. I stayed late after training working on my game, and I maintained it for a week. Then Rick invited himself to join me. I couldn’t say no, I still maintained hope of a contract extension. You can’t burn your bridges when that’s the case.

Rick moved gracefully during our training sessions. He was an athlete as much as a footballer. He was quite a timid player when it came to contact, something I noted quickly. It was during our dual training sessions I began to hatch a scheme. If I really wanted to secure my future I had to get that fullback spot back permanently, by any means necessary.

Rick never saw my motive. I advised him on what it would take for him to move from a good fullback to a great one. We worked relentlessly on his passing and kicking game. Fullbacks are like a third half in the modern game I told him, he listened. I now had a trusting victim, which made things much easier.

As we headed off to a pre-season eight team competition I had my plan in place, and there'd be plenty of chances to execute it. There would be no media at these trials, so I needn’t worry about them snooping around. In the mean time we played the Panthers and the Rabbitohs, narrowly winning both games to advance to the final.

We were playing for a trophy named after an opposing player, never a good sign in a final! We struggled, Rick really struggled. I saw my chance. Rick was making a tackle in the defensive line; I ran in at a hundred miles an hour to join him and then screamed in feigned agony. “What happened?” asked Rick. I screamed at him that he injured my shoulder through his poor tackling technique. He looked about ready to cry. The trainer asked if I could continue, I said I'd be okay if I’m shielded from the defensive line, perhaps at fullback. Being so consumed with guilt Rick agreed. Rick stepped into five-eighth and had the game of his life, showcasing all the skills we’d worked on. I managed to score a try off one of his flick passes, if his vision wasn’t quite there yet then his sleight of hand certainly was. We held on to win 26-18, the clubs first trophy in seventeen years. More importantly the coaches lauded the new combination.

By May I was cemented as first choice fullback, and I had signed a three year extension after we made an 8-2 start to the season. In hindsight faking that injury turned my life around, and Rick went on to forge a great career in the halves.

---------------------------------------------------------------
750 words in OWC

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags

The Hangover

carlton_melbournebitter.jpg

"I feel like I have a hangover, without all the happy memories and mystery bruises."

Perhaps it is the mind numbing 'qualities' of a hangover that makes it so difficult to put the experience into words. The dead feeling, and oh, yeah... the embarrassment that emerges following the ill-directed confidence and expectations that preceded the morning after. It's a shocker if you choose to remember, a screamer that you'd rather forget.

Yes, I'm talking about the football hangover. As the well travelled reader will be no doubt be aware, it is a hangover that can take many forms. And as I will soon reveal, recent events have brought the hangover up to previously unimagined levels.

Since 1908 of the NSWRL/ARL/NRL competitions, there have only been three teams that have suffered the worst of post premiership hangovers - that is, going from premiers to wooden spooners in just one season.

Canterbury were the first in 1942-1943. The competition winners of 1942 went from champions to also-rans in the space of just a number of months, and copped the wooden spoon for the next season. The 'Berries' made a bird of the hangover by taking out the spoon again in the 1944 season - they must have been on one long bender.

Western Suburbs Magpies were the second team to experience the footy hangover when they went from winners to nobodies in 1952-1953. For the record, Wests had to wait another 53 years, with Wests Tigers, to taste their next premiership victory.

But the most extreme post premiership hangover occured as recently as 2009 when the Melbourne Storm were delivered the wooden spoon after being awarded the premiership. It is well documented that the 2009 grand final winners were found cheating the salary cap and subsequently stripped of their premiership titles. They were disqualified. The team had already celebrated hard after winning the grand final just a few months earlier, so imagine the hangover that awaited them in 2010. It was far greater than anyone had anticipated.

Equally interesting is the 'reverse hangover'. It involves going from last to first in one season. Wests feature again, and have the honour of being the only ever club to do a 180 degree turn. In 1933-1934, Wests went from spooners to premiers. It is an unique achievement.

Of course these raw facts don't do justice to the comebacks and close runs. Numerous sides have had remarkable turnarounds just shy of the pointy ends of the ladder.

In 1966, the Eastern Suburbs Roosters didn't win a single game. But the following year, under the guidance of master coach Jack Gibson, Easts qualified for the semi-finals. The Roosters side of 2010 can hold up a similar achievement, going from wooden spooners in 2009 to runners-up the following year - all worthy of mention. Then there's the decimation of the Super League war with clubs fighting just to exist. In 1996 we saw a St George side losing players, officials and coaches. They were written off. But the team rose to the occasion to qualify for the 1996 grand final.

Of course, the roller coaster ride of sport is not exclusive to rugby league. In our very own Forum Sevens competition we have seen some amazing highs and lows. 2005 belonged to the Coos Bay Pirates. Wooden spooners in 2004, the Pirates produced an amazing follow-up season to qualify for the grand final and take out the 2005 F7s premiership. But in an extraordinary 2006 season, the Pirates went from premiers to wooden spooners for the second time. They then declared their team would be folding, thus ending an extraordinary roller coaster ride of just three seasons where they were premiers once and wooden spooners twice.

But there ends the glass-half-full part of our article. Let's get back to basics here...

When Mad Monday came around for Melbourne Storm in 2010, heading off to somehere like Bali and knowing that they had joined an exclusive club of post-premiers losers, what exactly was going through their minds?

I suspect it involved copious amounts of amber liquid followed by more of the same, and then again and again and again until the mind numbing state finally arrived. No doubt they were feeling burnt and miserable. Sometimes, it's best to just black out.

Only one question remains, can they get Melbourne Bitter in Bali?

Words | 725
Ref | Quote: Ellen DeGeneres

Cliffhanger

Coach
Cliffhanger for the Bluebags.

The Back Up

IS your NRL team no longer any chance for the 2011 title?

Do you no longer feel emotionally invested in this season?

Are you worried you may be out of form when you cheer on your side in 2012?

What you need is a backup team. A team you know will be competitive come finals time. A team which has been everything your side has not been this season.

If you have already planned your life around September only to see your team become more rubbish as the season progressed then read on as we explore your options.

Melbourne Storm

àThey are hungry. They play with so much determination every week and they have the skill to back it up. You can tell how badly they want to win every match and see how much they want to prove it was more than just the Salary Cap breaches which made them so good.

àThey are an extremely disciplined side. No stupid penalties or frequent unforced errors to keep your heart in your mouth. This is a well-coached side which is being led by one the game’s best.

àTheir fans. When you hate a team 90 per cent of the time it’s because their fans irk you. The best thing about the Storm is unless you live in Melbourne you’re very unlikely to come across a group of their supporters at your work, neighbourhood, university, or school.

àThey know how it’s done. Craig Bellamy has experience in coaching sides to grand final glory, he did it twice and sure it was a slightly more impressive roster but with the likes of Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater still in the side the Storm are still a force.

àThey are not St George Illawarra. If you are like me, you would sell your own soul if it meant that the Dragons were unable to defend their title this year. Melbourne are quite possibly their greatest threat to back to back premierships.

Not sold on the Storm?

Brisbane Broncos

à Darren Lockyer. Whether you loved him or hated him, Lockyer was one of those rare players who had a huge impact on the game and he deserves to go out on a high.

àThe youth factor. The Broncos are undoubtedly one of the most exciting teams to watch in 2011 with an abundance of young talent stepping up and producing some of the most entertaining football of the season.

à They have never lost a Grand Final. Since their induction in 1988 the Broncos have competed in 6 grand finals and walked away with the trophy on all 6 occasions. If they make the grand final they will not let you down.

àThey are also not St George Illawarra.

Looking for a more likable side?

New Zealand Warriors

à Everybody loves a dark horse. Over the past decade the New Zealand Warriors’ has been nothing if not erratic. On their day they can take down the strongest of sides but you never know what you will get from them.

àThey do not have any premierships yet. Since their induction in 1995 the Warriors have won a minor premiership, played a grand final, became the first NRL team to win a finals game after finishing 8th. However the Warriors still have not tasted grand final success and perhaps it is about time they got their virgin title.

àThey are another side which is not St George Illawarra

Prefer Sydney teams? Look no further.

Manly Sea Eagles

àTheir 2011 success has not come easy. Despite being devastated by injuries to key players early in the season the Manly Sea Eagles emerged as a force in the first couple of rounds, walking away with some thrilling victories.

àSivertail Syndrome. The Sea Eagles’ silvertail status is one of the major reasons they are among the competition’s most hated sides, we love to hate Manly and when they are successful we hate them more. Face it, it is not easy to continue rivalries with unsuccessful clubs, it’s almost an insult to your own team’s capabilities.

àOnce again they are not St George Illawarra.

Still not sold on the concept? Well cynics, you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
clock_0.gif

Thanks Ninjas for a great match. You guys might have the silverware here. Not sure what happened to our third player, apologies that we couldn't make it a 3v3. It's the first article the baggers have dropped since 2006, so the record has been grand for some time. Nevertheless, there'll be a royal commission in the Henson Park sheds. Over to you ref. :thumn

joshie

Live Update Team
Thanks for that willow and thanks for the game bluebags :)

Well played, too bad it's 2 v 3, but I don't mind :p

Good luck all and over to you ref :)

edabomb

First Grade
Bad luck with that final article Bluebags. Best of luck though, you never know how things can work out in the crazy world of F7s....

Jesbass

First Grade
Hey guys. I've been out of town since Friday. I'll get this marked tomorrow.

Hang in there. ;-)

Jesbass

First Grade
Match Report:

Ninjas: 263

joshie
Haha, very creative and it had me chuckling more than once. It's a hard method to keep the reader interested with, but it was a solid effort nonetheless. 88

jamesgould
I can remember the days of limited information on this side of the Tasman. I can also remember receiving text updates when I was travelling through France as the Warriors defeated Melbourne in the finals in 2008. Your article was structurally sound but it felt like it lacked a bit of flavour, but it's hard to put my finger on precisely where. As an aside, Super League was in 1997, not 1995. 86

edabomb
Hehe, very clever. I thought the protagonist was going to give Rick a season ending injury, but rather he sought to elevate them both for mutual benefit. The reference(s) - I spotted at least one - to the F7s were a clever addition, too. 89

Bluebags: 174

Willow
Ah yes, the ever present rollercoaster that can come with a competition as close as the NRL. I seem to recall Penrith going close in 2002-2003. A solid article which probably lacked a bit of 'X' factor. 87

Cliffhanger
This was a fun piece which was hampered by an odd formatting at the beginning of each point you made. Even so, it was still fun to read and otherwise well constructed. As an aside, I hear that with enough string, sticky tape, and plastic piping, it is possible to lead a horse to water and make it drink! 87

Ninjas defeat Rabbitohs 263-174
POTM: edabomb

The Chuck Norris Texas Death Ninjas are the 2011 Willow Cup champions!

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
Thanks to Jesbass for the marking :)

Hard luck Bluebags, could have been a classic if the full quota had been involved. Well played to Willow and Cliffhanger.

Congrats fellow Ninjas, the first piece of silverware for Reliant Stadium clubrooms! Very proud of the effort so far this year guys, lets continue on for the rest of 2011!

jamesgould

Juniors
As an aside, Super League was in 1997, not 1995.

I was referring to when Superleague first announced a rebel competition and players first began to sign with them - April 1, 1995. :)

Woohoo, go Ninjas, first silverware!!! :crazy:

big-trophy.jpg

Joshie with the trophy and the other spoils of victory.

Jesbass

First Grade
I was referring to when Superleague first announced a rebel competition and players first began to sign with them - April 1, 1995. :)

Woohoo, go Ninjas, first silverware!!! :crazy:

big-trophy.jpg

Joshie with the trophy and the other spoils of victory.

Thanks for correcting me! :D

And joshie got extra spoils? What, the curtains? :p