What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 AFL Grand Final

One Eyed Aussie

Juniors
Hawks by 24 pts. They had their close call last week and will be on their toes.
Sydney have overachieved this year and will be satisfied just making the grand final.

CyberKev

Staff member
I don't think Sydney have overachieved...

I don't think they'll be satisfied by just making the GF...

I don't think Hawthorn will win by a lot...

If they can get near their best, then it should be enough though.

Hawthorn by 24pts with Cyril Rioli for the Normie.

Big decisions for both coaching panels as to whether they tag Mitchell and Kennedy.

It wouldn't be conventional Hawthorn practice to do this, but Kennedy's recent performances against us have been excellent.

I think Hawthorn could win even if Mitchell was subdued, but Sydney will need Kennedy firing.

CyberKev

Staff member
As expected, its been largely all Swans, all of the time, in the main media this week.

On the Couch is, as a general rule, 'Swan the Couch' at the best of times with Messers Roos and Healy on deck. Thankfully we won't have to put up with Dunstall and Roos on the commentary team this Saturday, given their offences against ears everywhere in round 22.

Among the more amusing pick-ups this week...

Mark Robinson to the AFL 360 panel: "Will the Kennedy family be barracking for Hawthorn or the Grandson?" Robbo, Whateley & Bomber Thompson all authoritatively state - "Grandson!" Rodney Eade just laughs and says "Don't be ridiculous, the club is always bigger than the individual... John Kennedy Jnr will also be barracking for Hawthorn." For the record, the kennedy's had made clear that they were behind Hawthorn for the game, in Robbo's own toe rag, earlier that day.

Eddie McGuire (God he's a woeful interviewer, needs to learn from Sheahan and refrain from making it all about himself) to Michael Tuck... "So, you kicked 3 goals with your first 3 kicks in league football?" Tucky - "Yes, that's right"... McGuire: "Gee, why aren't you a legend of the game then?" Viewing audience in unison: "Oh Dear!"

Special mention to Don Scott for decrying Tim Watson for being a media whore. I liked seeing Jobe win the Brownlow, he's a likeable chap, but Watson senior is a nong of the highest order.

CyberKev

Staff member
Tough blow for Tom Murphy, making way again in a GF.

There's invariably at least one player each year who takes this sort of hit and its a particularly luckless soul who gets to experience it twice.

Well done to the Hawk affiliates who swarmed to Waverley for the final training session yesterday, giving the major dailys some excellent photos, and poo-pooing suggestions that its an overly subdued GF week.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
poor kid, gotta feel for him

gotta say I'm really over the hype and media obsession particularly with the Swans, just get on with it

there appears to be a concerted effort by the media to build up the hype in Sydney, perhaps encouraged by the AFL to gain further exposure and hype from a Rugby League city and also to build up the Swans chances to play in the wet

I mean, how dumb do they think we are, Hawks live, train and play in Mexio where there can be 4 seasons in one day as distinct from living and playing every second game in Sydney

If its wet, its still Hawks by plenty for mine even in a low scoring game.

CyberKev

Staff member
I don't mind the hype in Sydney, as I think that's to be expected, but you tend to get a fair bit of nonsense in the Melbourne media, although they probably think an overt Sydney focus is the best way of selling the game, given that the side will have almost all the neutral support.

I'm not sure about the impact of the wet. I've had Sydney fans going out of their way to tell me the team is average in such conditions, but I still suspect they'll go okay.

I honestly can't recall the Hawks playing too often in miserable conditions. I do recall coming up against North in Tasmania when conditions were horrendous (torrential downpours and hail) and they handled the slogfest very well. Counter intuitively, Franklin and Roughead ran amok with strong overhead marks, it was quite bizarre.

Either way it'll be a downer for the viewing public.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's all relative. The conditions would make us worse against teams that are more suited to the wet, Hawthorn rely on very accurate kicking to do their thing. What we do is more easily transferable to the wet. Rain, storming, hail, it'll hurt them more than it'll hurt us.

Their biggest strength is their forwards, our defenders are the best in the comp and will have a good chance of stopping them from kicking a winning score.

Our midfield has quality and depth. I think we'll be too strong in the middle.

Swans in a close one. Go Swannies!

Briza

Juniors
anywhere to listen or watch this live online, instead of listening to bloody jibberers talk about collingwood?

MMM coverage is a joke!

edit: Sorted

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
Hawthorn smashed Sydney in clearances, inside 50s, and field position (and free kicks), but couldn't land the killer blow. Franklin kicking so poorly in the first half was key. If he'd been on song from the start, I doubt the Swans would have got a look-in.

The one key stat that Sydney did win was tackles. They tackled their way to victory, against the odds and against the run of play. Some excellent rebound play sealed the deal.

Cheer cheer the Red and the White!!! Kicked 3 hoodoos in a row: Adelaide, Collingwood, and the M.C.G.

Hawthorn are definitely the best team in the game at the moment, but the best team doesn't always win.

sportive cupid

Referee
Lol.i think there were at least TWO key stats that the Swans won in.the main one being points scored.

Oh well.At least Hawthorn were the best ( sort of) Melbourne team this year.

BunniesMan

Immortal
How many of the Swans Grand final squad are Sydney juniors?
4 or 5 plus 3 of them playing for Hawthorn coz of the draft sydney/nsw born/bred players are spread all over
Hawthorn smashed Sydney in clearances, inside 50s, and field position (and free kicks), but couldn't land the killer blow. Franklin kicking so poorly in the first half was key. If he'd been on song from the start, I doubt the Swans would have got a look-in.

The one key stat that Sydney did win was tackles. They tackled their way to victory, against the odds and against the run of play. Some excellent rebound play sealed the deal.

Cheer cheer the Red and the White!!! Kicked 3 hoodoos in a row: Adelaide, Collingwood, and the M.C.G.

Hawthorn are definitely the best team in the game at the moment, but the best team doesn't always win.
no,being the best team is about more than just having the most talent which i admit they do. we are the best

and field position is an incredibly overrated stat (as well as inside 50s). all season weve been the #1 defense, with a defense like that you can play large chunks of the game in your 50 and still win.

field position stat is less important than in rugby league because in afl with just a bit of skill it's quite easy to get the ball to the other end of the field in about 10 seconds

we're a team with about half our list made up of other teams rejects, plus a rugby convert, and we turned that mob into premiers. We're the best team in the comp right now.

Latest posts