What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

RWB

Bench
If you haven't noticed that 6 and 7 are the same position on each side of the play the ball by now then I don't know what to say to you. When pressed against the side line the dummy half is generally a centre or winger, first receiver is usually the dummy half who feeds it to the playmaker positioned on that side of the field who then commands play from there. There are no defined first or second receivers anymore unless you are the Titans.

First receiver isn't the dummy half :?

There's still alot of clubs who play with a halfback and a 5/8. Putting every team into the same category is ignorant.

I encourage you to watch a Warriors game closely and tell me if the following is true or not.

Maloney will control the majority of the ball in the early part of the set, playing direct and organising his forwards. Any ball Johnson receives will be either at 2nd receiver or when he's turning the ball inside for a hitup from one of his forwards. Rarely will he over call Maloney unless there's a great attacking opportunity unfolding.

Johnson will become more prominent in the set as it deepens into the count (obviously if in good attacking position). Maloney will become more scarce and play a support role unless the chance is open to play with width in which case Maloney will jump into first receiver and Johnson will receive it at second where he has all the room in the world.

Maloney plays a halfback role with the 6 on his back, Johnson a 5/8 role with the 7 on his back.

I really rate a Maloney/Carney combo I just don't see why you wouldn't have Carney playing wider where he's a proven success and Maloney as the chief organiser again where he's a proven success. Ricky Stuart still plays a traditional 6 and 7, just listen to the emphasis he puts on Pearce's oragansing game and ability to pull of set plays.

Ricky Stuart values a traditional halfback so much he even went so far as to label Pearce a better halfback that Thurston purely because Pearce is a better organiser than Thurston. Ignoring Thurston's far superior ball playing, creative ability and running game.

Yes RWB, Maloney and Carney has a good feel to it. But I'd like Carney to have more responsibility, people like him need to be given responsibility. Which is why I'd like Carney to be a dominant halfback. I'd also be tempted not to play with a five-eighth, put Tony Williams in the No.6 jersey and have an extra second-rower down the left hand side. Obviously have a halfback on the bench in case he gets injured. Can Farah play 80 mins? I'd have Glen Stewart on the right side, and he can kick well. But most players should be able to kick up 'n' unders if the ball comes to them on the last tackle and Carney is accidentally caught in a tackle.

Joker's Wild

Coach
SWR, are you actually drunk all the time? Playing T-Rex at 5/8 is possibly the most geniused suggestion you have made yet on these forums. That is saying a lot

Joker's Wild

Coach
Not at SOO level where field position is so very important. Trap our halfback on the 5th and we suddenly have noone with a long boot to kick on the last.

Against Qld it will fail miserably

Dragon2010

First Grade
I think Pearce is our Halfback. He offers a solid game and is probably the best option we have right now. Pair a in-form Carney with him and it will be good. Much like the Roosters.

Yeah, it was only a suggestion, to attack Cronk, Thaiday and Hodges with size and speed down the left. I'd play King on the left-wing. Forgot about him, he played a lot on the left-wing for Warrington.

Vic Mackey

Referee
First receiver isn't the dummy half :?

There's still alot of clubs who play with a halfback and a 5/8. Putting every team into the same category is ignorant.

I encourage you to watch a Warriors game closely and tell me if the following is true or not.

Maloney will control the majority of the ball in the early part of the set, playing direct and organising his forwards. Any ball Johnson receives will be either at 2nd receiver or when he's turning the ball inside for a hitup from one of his forwards. Rarely will he over call Maloney unless there's a great attacking opportunity unfolding.

Johnson will become more prominent in the set as it deepens into the count (obviously if in good attacking position). Maloney will become more scarce and play a support role unless the chance is open to play with width in which case Maloney will jump into first receiver and Johnson will receive it at second where he has all the room in the world.

Maloney plays a halfback role with the 6 on his back, Johnson a 5/8 role with the 7 on his back.

I really rate a Maloney/Carney combo I just don't see why you wouldn't have Carney playing wider where he's a proven success and Maloney as the chief organiser again where he's a proven success. Ricky Stuart still plays a traditional 6 and 7, just listen to the emphasis he puts on Pearce's oragansing game and ability to pull of set plays.

Ricky Stuart values a traditional halfback so much he even went so far as to label Pearce a better halfback that Thurston purely because Pearce is a better organiser than Thurston. Ignoring Thurston's far superior ball playing, creative ability and running game.

johnson plays left, maloney plays right. teams have a left and right half, whilst one if the more 'senior' or 'dominant' half.

Springs

First Grade
It's ridiculous to say that players like Marshall, Thurston, Lockyer, Cronk etc are only restricted to one side of the field. Halves like these are only 'left' or 'right' halves in defence.

For many teams it's still the same halfback controlling the forwards early in the set, five-eighth has the attacking options later in the set type stuff. Often you would see a half like Sandow, Pearce, Cronk etc controlling early forward plays but rarely would you see a five-eighth like Sutton or Anasta or fill-ins like Inglis and Mateo do that.

Pazza

First Grade
I think Pearce is our Halfback. He offers a solid game and is probably the best option we have right now. Pair a in-form Carney with him and it will be good. Much like the Roosters.

They worked well together at club level, can't see why they won't do it again at origin level!

RWB

Bench
It's ridiculous to say that players like Marshall, Thurston, Lockyer, Cronk etc are only restricted to one side of the field. Halves like these are only 'left' or 'right' halves in defence.

For many teams it's still the same halfback controlling the forwards early in the set, five-eighth has the attacking options later in the set type stuff. Often you would see a half like Sandow, Pearce, Cronk etc controlling early forward plays but rarely would you see a five-eighth like Sutton or Anasta or fill-ins like Inglis and Mateo do that.

Spot on, the job description of a hlafback and 5/8 at the majority of clubs still contains a lot of the traditional responsibilities and duties.

RWB

Bench
Also just quietly didn't Maubs do a great job on Inglis on Monday night.... surprise surprise.

Apparently he doesn't have the attacking ability despite getting on the outside of Inglis twice only to be held up by a centimetre the first time and to set up the match winning try the second time.

Yeah, it varies with each team. When McCrone has been playing with Campese, I've only ever seen him on the left half of the field once. And I watched quite a bit of the Raiders in 2010.

Parra Pride

Referee
Also just quietly didn't Maubs do a great job on Inglis on Monday night.... surprise surprise.

Apparently he doesn't have the attacking ability despite getting on the outside of Inglis twice only to be held up by a centimetre the first time and to set up the match winning try the second time.

QLD Inglis and Lol@5(c)uff$ Inglis are two entirely different players.

RWB

Bench
QLD Inglis and Lol@5(c)uff$ Inglis are two entirely different players.

Haha I know, not as concerned about the defensive job Maubs did on him it may as well have been Adrian Purtell out there given the amount of quality ball he was getting from the halves.

Proved he's an underrated attacking player though which was what everyone was questioning when I first nominated him for the position. Got on the inside of Inglis twice and, defense like that it doesn't matter who you're playing for.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach

Haha I know, not as concerned about the defensive job Maubs did on him it may as well have been Adrian Purtell out there given the amount of quality ball he was getting from the halves.

Proved he's an underrated attacking player though which was what everyone was questioning when I first nominated him for the position. Got on the inside of Inglis twice and, defense like that it doesn't matter who you're playing for.

Which was it bro, inside or outside?

Point of difference too mate. Aubusson got outside Inglis during that match winning try because GI had come in to clean up Pearce, not due to any attacking magic from Aubo. He put a nice little step back on the inside after that to offload but lets not wear the skin off our dicks just yet.

RWB

Bench
Which was it bro, inside or outside?

Outside bro, my bad

Point of difference too mate. Aubusson got outside Inglis during that match winning try because GI had come in to clean up Pearce, not due to any attacking magic from Aubo. He put a nice little step back on the inside after that to offload but lets not wear the skin off our dicks just yet.

Inglis didn't have to come up, he should've slid. It was largely Dave Taylor's fault that try but it just emphasises that a good line runner which Maubs is (also highlighted again in his near try) is a more than an adequate attacking option up against a fairly limited defender in Inglis.

I'm having nightmares about what Inglis might do to Hayne, Jennings or Lawrence.

Luke Lewis would be my first option but I'm trying to remain realistic.

Latest posts