What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 :: State of Origin :: NSW v QLD

joshie

Live Update Team
z-nsw-main.jpg
V
z-qld-main.jpg

Preview: Traditional rivals, NSW and Queensland will take each other on to claim supremcy of the F7's origin. Currently, the scores are locked and both sides have a score to settle. Who will get up and take bragging rights for the next year?

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 3 -V- 3 (+ 5 reserves)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://forumsevens.com.au/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://forumsevens.com.au/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 8th July 2012
Full Time: Sunday 15th July 2012 (Midnight)
Referee: madunit
Venue: Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gUt

Coach
1_3559.jpg

Born This Way

I always knew I was different. No one had to tell me, there was no epiphany. No long, dark night of the soul with a clear dawn. I just knew – I was born the way I am and I’m very proud to be me.

It’s a truism that we all want to fit in, to be accepted and possibly loved without our having to hide our nature or reinvent ourselves. So, when you hear my story I hope if you’re struggling with your identity you can take some comfort and support or at least encouragement from what I went through and conquered.

When I was a child, my dad would devote every Saturday afternoon to the mighty Easts Tigers in the Brisbane Rugby League. On the days they were being shown on Channel 2’s Match of the Day he’d chill himself a six-pack, empty a bag of chips or nuts into a bowl and then enter a special, hermetically sealed relationship with the TV that nothing could penetrate. The house could be burning down around his ears but until that full time whistle blew, Dad was unreachable. (The only exception to this was when he needed a new brew or you tried to steal a chip.)

Anyway, I loved watching the game as much as he did but I liked it for different reasons. Whereas for him the result mattered more than anything, I was drawn to the players. I loved to watch them move, revelled in their toughness and skill and wondered what they were like to… be with. To be a part of that scene, just hanging out with footy players and soaking up their manliness was all I fantasised about.

You see, even at a young age I knew I wouldn’t be able to play the game I loved the way these guys did. I was always slow, small for my age, asthmatic and scared of pain. But still I loved the idea of being there in those hot moments with the players. Eventually I signed up and played juniors (poorly) and got to taste the camaraderie and team spirit that rugby league delivers. However, I was always slightly on the outer – the team was never completely comfortable having me there in the dressing sheds. Thankfully certain concepts don’t properly take root in the mind of an 11 year old. Kids might say certain words they’ve heard older kids use but they don’t really know what they mean.

As time progressed and I matured, I worked hard on my fitness and knowledge of rugby league. I became a student of the sport. At high school my playing days were already over but I would help the coach by running water bottles, cleaning up witches’ hats, carrying the team’s kit bag around and generally doing everything I could to stay in proximity with the players. I was still an outsider but at least tolerated so long as I didn’t try to go into the dressing room with the team and sing the victory song. That was probably the most upsetting aspect – no matter how much good I did for the team, I could never crack that fraternity that existed between the players.

Then in my senior year, came a sad day. I was forced to make a serious life choice. By this time I knew a lot more about who and what I was but so did the players. The team were going well in the Commonwealth Bank Cup and were training hard. The coach called the session to a close and had to leave. As I was cleaning up, the captain came up to me and said:

“We know what you are. We’ve seen you watching us. The boys are distracted by you, so don’t f**king come to training anymore!”

I was devastated. Choking back tears, I left the world of football players and teams forever, giving up on the thought that I could belong. Instead I kept working hard on my knowledge and love of rugby league. See, nothing they could have said or done to me would have changed that.

Now years later, I am what I am and very proud. Every week I go to games with my kids and hang around, closely watching players of all ages. I pay very, very close attention to the players indeed. It’s what I am, it’s what I do and I am not ashamed.

I am not ashamed to be born a referee.
749 words, thanks to Packy for the idea.

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
blues-jersey.jpg

NSW Blues rock up at the Stadium and find their locker room has flooded with piss.

This is war

Monk (c)
Willow
LeagueNut

BENCHIES
byrne_rovelli_fan82
Drew-Sta

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut finally drags himself away from admiring his styley jersey in the full-length mirrors of the Blues changing rooms
blues-jersey.jpg

It’s just not Rugby League

“Thank you all for coming.”

“I’m happy to announce the Australian Rugby League Commission has approved a number of small rule changes for next years NRL competition. These changes will address many long-standing concerns while making the game safer, more competitive and more attractive to our key partners. Many of these changes were conditional requirements of the recently completed TV rights deal and will put Rugby League in a fantastic position for future growth on a spectacular scale.”

“Firstly, as many of you have speculated, we will be reducing the number of players in a team from 13 to 11 for each side. Rugby League is at its finest where there is plenty of ball movement and sweeping attacking plays, so this change will naturally encourage a better spectacle for our audiences. Clubs will have the short-term pain of needing to reduce their contracted player numbers but will then have the long-term gain of having more money to share around their reduced playing squad, giving our magnificently gifted athletes the money they think they deserve.”

“There are a number of minor changes which will compliment this significant change to further enhance the greatest game of all.”

“Goalposts have been a long-standing issue for us. The question was asked – why would the most physical contact sport in the world have large metal posts stuck in the playing area? Padding was our solution in the past however our new Health & Safety assessors have deemed this to be insufficient. To fix this issue the goalposts will be significantly reduced in size, and other rule changes will be introduced to compensate for this.”

“We’ve had issues in the past with the consistency of ball dimensions. It’s important to ensure we have 100% accuracy and this is simply impossible to achieve when filling balls with air. Going forward all balls will be made exclusively of wood – this will completely remove any variables. To ensure we keep the weight of the new balls similar to the previous ones, the size will be reduced accordingly.”

“Our fans have also spoken regarding the issue of team jerseys. There has been minimal regulation and control over team designs as well as promotional and charity strips. To keep things simple and consistent we will now instruct all teams to be dressed exclusively in white, all the time. I trust this will stop the incessant whinging from fans as I simply can’t think of any other way to resolve this issue.”

“Now as you’re all aware, one of the key issues with our latest TV deal was providing the networks with sufficient content. Since it was impossible to obtain agreement on any expansion plans due to the number of different agendas involved, we’ve simply decided to increase the length of each game to fill our necessary TV quota. Games will increase from 80 minutes to 2,100 minutes spread across five days. To accommodate this increased game length our season will effectively become all year round and I’m sure fans will appreciate the wall-to-wall television coverage. We’re also working with our marketing and legal teams to purchase the rights to an appropriate slogan to reflect our changed calendar – something like ‘There Is No Off Season’ would be ideal.”

“The physical ability of Rugby League players continues to evolve at a remarkable rate. Many commentators have remarked that today’s breed of players could only be stopped with a cricket bat. We’ve listened to these concerns and will issue each team with large wooden bats to protect their much smaller goalposts. Now since our Health & Safety assessors didn’t like the idea of players whacking each other with these so-called ‘weapons’ we’ve tweaked the rules slightly to ensure players only hit the balls, not each other. Full details of these additional rule changes will be available once Wisden Publishers have finished writing them up.”

“Oh, and we’re changing the word ‘referee’ to ‘umpire’ since the Oxford English Dictionary people have decided the meaning of ‘referee’ is a blind and incompetent buffoon.”

“Now some of you may think we’ve gone too far with these changes but I stress that each and every one has only been introduced in response to the large number of complaints we’d received regarding these issues. I’d like to assure everyone that we haven’t ‘sold out’ or compromised the integrity of our code for television in any way. If you don’t like this, just piss off and find another sport to follow instead.”

747 words including title

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow throws on his oversized novelty jersey and runs on for the NSW Blues.
blues-jersey.jpg

The Rugby League Anti-Hall of Fame

Like any other football code, Rugby League has had its share of talented rogues, likeable or otherwise. These are players who rise to first grade but have their share of c**k-ups off the field.

Indeed, there are times when even some of the game's greats have struggled to steer clear of trouble.

To put this in perspective, some off-field misdemeanors do get blown out of proportion. Things that us mere mortals might get away with on a weekly basis are headline news when it involves a first grade football player. The bigger the player's profile, the bigger the headline. Plus, it would be remiss of me if I didn't mention that 40 years ago. players often got away with all sorts of stuff. The great Billy Smith, for example, knew how to party - in the 60s, 70s before being barred from his club in the 80s. But for better or worse, the media usually turned a blind eye to the exploits of yesterday's heroes.

That aside, I feel it's time to introduce these inaugural awards. A gala night that honours the infamous deeds of players in the 21st Century; Rugby League's Anti-Hall of Fame.

Our first three inductees:

Joel Monaghan
I actually felt sorry for Joel Monaghan during his much publicised fall from grace.

An Australian Schoolboys rep in 2000, Joel made his first grade debut in 2001 for the Canberra Raiders, rising to become star in the centres. After a stint in Sydney, Joel returned to Canberra in 2008 where he received the club's highest honour, the Mal Meninga Medal (Player of the Year).

Alas, it all came crashing down in 2010 when Joel got caught in the act with a dog. Reportedly a 'Mad Monday' prank gone wrong, it might have ended with nothing more than a bad hangover. But someone took a picture and before Joel could do up his zipper, the embarrassing pic was posted on Twitter.

A disgraced Monaghan broke down in front of the cameras while expressing his remorse.

Joel was last seen playing for Warrington Wolves in the UK. Hopefully he has been told to steer clear of the club mascot.

Wes Naiqama
An outside back with enormous potential, Wes Naiqama just couldn't get his act together when it came to getting from point A to point B.

While playing Jersey Flegg in 2002, 20-year-old Wes broke the all-grades St George club record with 38 points in one match. In 2003, he played for Fiji. In 2004, he played in a Premier League Grand Final.

But his first grade career was hampered by a series of dumb off-field shenanigans.

There was at least one nightclub incident that got the media's attention, but it didn't end there. It turned out Wes had an expired drivers license. He kept getting caught but kept driving, culminating into periodic detention at Her Majesty's pleasure in 2007.

After being released by the Dragons and shuffled off to Newcastle, Wes is now reportedly heading out Penrith way. Let's hope someone gives him a lift.

Todd Carney
Well where do you start with Todd? A champion five-eighth or just a chump who can't handle the piss?

In 2003, at just 17-years-old, Carney made his first grade debut for the Raiders. A junior Kangaroo captain, young Todd had a stellar career ahead of him.

But in 2006, he started getting into strife. First he was charged with driving recklessly while drunk. He upped the ante in 2007 with another driving incident, and that included running away from police. The final straw for the Raiders came in 2008 when Carney allegedly urinated on some bloke. Canberra subsequently sacked Carney and the NRL de-registered him. More alcohol-related incidents followed which included him being banned from his home town of Goulburn.

Carney was eventually allowed to play again and seemed to get his act together, helping the Roosters to a grand final in 2010. But in 2011, they sacked him too after Carney reportedly set a man's pants on fire.

Nowadays Carney can be seen playing some great footy for the Sharks and has been rewarded with a NSW jersey. Great work Todd, just don't let me shout you a beer.

So that's it. Unfortunately time and word restraints can't allow us to continue.

Other nominees: Andrew Johns, Matthew Johns, Craig Gower, Mark Gasnier, Ryan Tandy, Danny Wicks, Robert Lui, Tim Moltzen and Darius Boyd.

I'm sure they'll make the cut at our next night of anti-stardom.

Words | 750

Monk

Referee
Monk throws a curveball from left field. What do you mean wrong sport?

748 Words innit.

blues-jersey.jpg

The Greatest Show on Earth

Mig Truther: Come One! Come All! Let’s watch 15 exciting people live together in one house! I’m Mig Truther and I’ll be your announcer for this evening.

Mig Truther: Oh you’re new here? Let me introduce the contestants. What? Yes, of course none of them are using their real names. Can you see them? Good. From left to right, they are: Brissy, Raideen, Bull, Chook, Bunny, Stormer, Newie, Nulla, Cowgirl, Eagle, Matta, Penny, George, Warrior and Tiger. Unfortunately no one understands why Bunny keeps eating the food from the trash; I’ll try to get it sorted.

Crowd: *Disgusted look*

Mig Truther: Okay everyone, now I know you think this is a popularity contest and all that, but let me assure you! It’s reality TV at its finest! First off, we’re going to have some ‘Pre-Show’ matches, basically these games are for novelty and mean nothing. I’ll tell the housemates to run to the other side of the house or something.

Mig Truther: “Housemates, your first task is to run to the other side of the house. There is no prize, it’s a meaningless game.”

Mig Truther: As you can clearly see, all the people are walking to the other side of the house like zombies, it was a pointless exercise. What? You mean to tell me Bunny is at the other side already?

Bunny: “I AM THE WINNER; THE REST OF YOU MAY AS WELL GO HOME! WOOOOOOOOOOO”

Crowd: *Uncertain look, as if to say ‘Is this chick serious?’*

Mig Truther: Is that her? Is she shouting abuse at the other housemates just because she won a meaningless game? She is a mess. Oh well, let’s get the proceedings underway.

Mig Truther: Hello everyone, welcome to the first of two competitive games tonight. This game requires each competitor to make their way out of this massive hedge maze!

Crowd: *Appraising applause and excitable grins*

Mig Truther: “Housemates, you must find your way out of the hedge maze, first 7 teams out make it to the next round. 3, 2, 1, Go!”

Crowd: *Eyes glued to TV*

Bunny: “Hey guys remember that game I won before? Wasn’t I awesome?

Mig Truther: Now it appears Matta is lying on the floor in the foetal position, it’s not looking good for all you Matta fans out there; he may as well have not turned up tonight.

Bunny: Guys, seriously, that game? I know it didn’t matter, but I was awesome right?

Mig Truther: It seems Bull has offered several of the housemates wads of cash to leave the hedge maze, Chook, Newie and Penny all jumped at the offer! Where did Bull pull that money from? To answer this question I go to my eyes in the sky, Manny Fielder.

Manny Fielder: Well Mig, it appears Chook has accepted the money to purchase a secret weapon for the next year’s competition. Will it pay off? Only time will tell.

Mig Truther: Thanks Manny, so far five of the housemates have found their way through the hedge maze (Stormer, Eagle, Brissy, George and Cowgirl). With only two spots left things are really starting to heat up.

Raideen: “Oh what? The games almost over, I better start trying to win”

Warrior: “This would be so much fun if we played it at my place back in Auckland”

Tiger: “Must. Sidestep. Everything”

Nulla: “Is that a porch light?”

Bunny: “How did I get stuck under a ladder?”

Bull: “I spent all that money and I still can’t find the exit!”

Mig Truther: Please welcome out 6th and 7th placegetters, Tiger and Raideen! Now, let’s move onto our second (and final) game of the night! Also, for this game, I’m bringing in a new player, everyone please welcome Titan!

Crowd: *Stares in awe (What a likeable person!)*

Mig Truther: Titan will join George, Brissy, Eagle, Stormer, Raideen, Cowgirl and Tiger in attempting to eat a Donut suspended on a string! How about that ladies and Gentleman!

Crowd: *Assuring nods and synchronised claps*

Mig Truther: “Housemates, eat the suspended Donut without taking your blindfold off. 3, 2, 1, Go!”

George: “Oh No! I’m choking!”

Titan: “Oh look, a Butterfly!”

Tiger: “I can’t sidestep this!”

Stormer: “Maybe if I just have a peek through this blindfold...”

Mig Truther: “Ladies and Gentleman! Tonight’s winner is Stormer!”

Mig Truther: Please stay tuned for next week’s fun games and housemate antics! Don’t bother coming to watch them in person, because they are on your TV!

Last edited:
Non Terminator, on debut for Queensland.
746 owc.

1_3559.jpg

Symbol Of Rugby With XIII

From a historical point of view, it's a shame to see that Rugby League in France has been completely overshadowed. Interest in the sport is potentially at an all-time low, whilst the national team aren't doing themselves any favours, conceeding large defeats to opponents that used to compete with them at a premier level. Let alone the domestic competition being overshadowed by the success of Catalans Dragons, the only French team playing top grade Rugby League.

It paints a bleak future for the nation that hosted the first ever Rugby League World Cup, where they finished a modest second. Unlike the modern day, the side featured heroes that would go down as legends of the sport.

There will never be a bigger name to come out of France than Puig-Aubert.

Born Robert Aubert Puig, his name later on changed to avoid confusion with other top grade players sharing the surname, he made his way into sporting folklore for his unusual approach to the game (his hatred of training was just the tip of the iceberg).

He was given the nickname of Pipette, which stemmed from his smoking habits. He would even smoke during the game. During a match in Wigan (accompanied by a snowstorm), he would catch the ball in one hand, and hold his cigarette in the other. He would refuse to defend, his build wasn't similar to a typical fullback. He made mention countless times that it was not the role of the fullback to tackle. He claimed he was punishing lazy team-mates.

Adding to those habits, he would drink up to three glasses of red wine during the half-time break, and would occasionally leave a hand-written poem behind the opposition try-line after scoring tries. A master of goalkicking, even his approach was unorthodox. He would sometimes place the ball on the ground, flat. His stance was always the same, place the ball, turn around, walk, turn around again, then just kick. He didn't measure steps, the speed of the whole process was never before seen.
Australian halfback Keith Holman even made mention that he was able to kick a goal from where the corner post lies (flat on the ground, of course).

His career would start with home-town club Carcassonne in 1944, the year Rugby League was no longer outlawed in France. In nine years the side would win countless titles, and his glory began to shine. It would be the time where he turned from first-year French debutant, to captain of the national side.
The French tour of Australia in 1951 would make the name Puig-Aubert known nation-wide. He set himself the goal of becoming the highest scoring touring player ever, which he did in Lisarow half-way through the tour. In a match where he scored fifteen points against North Coast, he would eclipse Jim Sullivan's record of 132 points, scoring 221. This broke the 19-year holding of the record by the Englishman. His goalkicking in the Test series against Australia would help this record happen, he was perfect, kicking eighteen from eighteen. It was never all glamour though, early on the side struggled. They were even threatened by local authorities that they would be sent home if results didn't improve. Alas, the motivation seemed to be enough in the end.

His light was shown. Papers declared him as the only player to ever make Clive Churchill look foolish. To be fair, some of the blame could be laid on his wingers who didn't back up.

From here, it all went down. It is a pattern, fitting the current state of the French national side. With his weight ballooning and his attitude at an all time low, he had stints with Catalans and lower division sides Celtic de Paris and RC Castelnaudary. Failing with the latter two, he retired at thirty-five, his weight nearly doubled compared to his peak.'
Ironically, he would return home to become a trainer for Carcassonne. He would also become a national coach and selector. A lifetime of recklessness caught up to him when he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He died of a heart attack in 1994.

None of the would-be controversy matters. The feats of the man remain unmatched. In 2000 a commemorative statue was revealed at Stade Albert-Domec, the home ground of Carcassonne. It read this.

With Puig-Aubert
Symbol Of Rugby With XIII
Champion Of The World Under The Tricolour Shirt
Champion Of The Frence Champions For The Year 1951

joshie

Live Update Team
Joshie runs out for Queensland!

1_3559.jpg

The Golden Debate

Here we go again. The rugby league community is once again imploding. On Monday night football last week, the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks fought out a 14-14 draw with the Sydney Roosters at Toyota Park.

The game was not the best or the most exciting but nevertheless it was still a game of football.
People have since slammed the concept of golden point and it is now all the media can talk about. There has been a call for review, calls for the concept to be dropped and calls for it to remain, and I just cannot get my head around it. Why do we want to take away something that makes our sport so unique?

I am a very big supporter of the system we call golden point. In 2006, just three years after its introduction, my beloved Melbourne Storm played out against the Penrith Panthers in a thrilling golden point decider. The teams went into the extra period locked up at 16-16, and my nerves were at an all-time high. I can tell you nearly everything I felt during the extra time period. The temperature was very cool, it was raining outside and I had a Greg Inglis poster on my door. With my emotions all over the place, the game itself was back and forth, up and down, left and right, east and west. It had it all. The Storm then finally popped over a field goal, winning the game 17-16.

I felt an extreme sense of jubilation as that kick went over, and it appeared as though Olympic Park felt the same that day. This is a game that otherwise would have been just another draw. Instead it was a match that I will never forget thanks to the concept of golden point.

While it has the ability to create games into instant classics, I understand the frustration and hatred for the concept. It pushes players for an extra ten minutes, it can become a field goal shoot out and it may even be boring, but we should take pride in the concept and change it for the better. The AFL currently does not have extra time. The A-League does not have extra time until the finals and the same applies to the Super Rugby.

This concept truly sets the code apart from any other, and it needs to stay. Instead of scrapping it, place a golden try rule into the equation. The first team to score four points, no matter how they get them, is the winner of the match.

Or why not instead of a desperate shoot out or first to four points match, golden point becomes extra time and 10 more minutes of football is played. Or better yet, have a drop off system in place. There are many ways we can better the concept before it is left on the scrap heap for good.

I urge you all to think before you cry out for it to be removed. Some of the code’s greatest games were played under these conditions. Last season, Darren Lockyer kicked the winning field goal to sink the Dragons’ season and advance to the preliminary finals; in 2010, Roosters’ centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall beat an exhausted Wests Tigers outfit to the try line and in 2009, the Storm and Warriors fought out a spectacular draw. And could ever forget one of the greatest Queensland victories, when Brett Kimmorley threw a cut out ball to the wing, hoping for a victory in 2005, before Matthew Bowen picked off his pass to sprint away and score in the 83rd minute of the game! These moments will be remembered and treasured by thousands for the rest of their lives, and these will be the stories being relayed to kids in 2050.

Why take away something that has given us a classic match to talk about nearly every year? Come on, rugby league. Just this once, please don’t implode.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've counted 4 people so far, lost count and have started again. I reckon it'll go close.

5 million comes after 4 doesn't it? eventually....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Queensland - 255

gUt - Born This Way - 750 words - 87
A clever piece depicting the life and hardships undertaken by a referee and the sense of pride in who they are. Magnificently written with a great finale.

Non Terminator - Symbol of Rugby With XIII - 746 words - 86
A look back at the career of French League legend Puig-Aubert. A true character of which the game will never see the likes of ever again. I wrote a piece about Puig-Aubert a few years ago and some of the comments from his team mates and opponents alone would give you another 1500 words. He was unique.

joshie - The Golden Debate - 657 words - 82
A good topic to write about but I felt it was a bit too short. You appeared set to give a solution to the field goal-a-thon but then abandoned it and gave a heap of options which left the article feeling somewhat unfinished.

New South Wales - 260

LeagueNut - It's Just Not Rugby League - 88
Hilarious piece making a mockery of every whinge about the game today. Brilliantly written!

Willow - The Rugby League Anti-Hall of Fame - 750 words - 87
An amusing look at some Rugby League players who are very well known for all the wrong reasons. I for one can't wait to read the entry about Tim Moltzen! Nicely done.

Monk - The Greatest Show On Earth - 750 words - 85
A rathering interesting look at the NRL clubs if they were Big brother contestants. Great idea and well written!.

New South Wales win 260-255

POTM: LeagueNut (NSW)

gUt

Coach
Thanks MU, good game Blues.

I guess we'll just have to take this loss on our Tate-like chins and go on to win at least the next 7 in a row.

Latest posts