What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Junior Reps (Harold Matts & SG Ball) plus other news

magpie4ever

First Grade
As these comps are commencing early Feb 2013, thought it was time to start this thread - covering trials, final squads etc.

Last edited:

half_back

Juniors
I'll have a go at a prediction

HM top 4 - not in any order
Souths
Newcastle
Wests
Parra

Ball top 4
Newcastle
Illawarra
Roosters
Souths

Last edited:

Clifferd

Coach
Illawarra V St George ball is playing now (5:30pm they kicked off) on the 2nd field @ Win Stadium

KAB

Juniors
Went up and saw the trials for the Central Coast HM and Ball Vs the Knights Development squads and the ManlyHM Ball v the Knights HM and Ball. I really dont understand why the coast have to play knights development teams. But thats the set up.
Coast where too strong in Ball and played alot of their players for long periods of time. Matts will need to work on alot areas.
Manly HM are very ordinary but that is probably because they played a very well drilled Knights team. I did nt see the Ball squads run around.
Next week Coast is playing the Knights in Toronto. This will be different again. Did anyone see that trial.

ballbag

Juniors
Yes the knights jumped out early leaders and score remained 6-1 for majority of game until the knights gave probably their best 5 an early make and manly introduced another 5/8 into their attack. The game was played in miserable conditions but they were there for both teams, Newcastle dominating early then manly scoring a few consolation tries on the back of Newcastle errors. Final score 7-5 to Newcastle.
The knights cut 7 fom the squad before next weeks trials so it will be interesting to see who misses out.

Clifferd

Coach
Didn't go to the games but heard HM Steelers won quite comfortably and Steelers Ball won 7 tries to 1.

the ball team has a very talented squad...I reckon they'll do pretty good

Raiderdave

First Grade
popped in to watch the Raiders playing the Sharks at Kippax
( West Belconnen) in HM & Ball yesterday.

Raiders were too strong in both age groups giving the shire boys a touch up in both.
Although in saying that I don't think the Raiders will trouble the top sides in either comp either as I feel it was more to do with how ordinary the Sharks were.

Sharks will struggle hugely in Matts & Ball this year.

Raiders to trial against Manly next week in Sydney.

KAB

Juniors
HM and Ball - Knights v Centurions
In HM - the knights applied good pressure thoughout, very well structured. Quality halves - one which is a coast kid. The coast boys hang tough, throughout the match with a number of injuries to key players. This did not help their cause. But overall it was very good hit out for both teams. 5 tries to nil. I think the score was.

In Ball - Well the Coast team played with 19 players throughout, due to players being injuried or other reasons. Knights squad was the better physically their left side attack is going to very strong. There will be alot sore boys waking today. Very physical game. 5 tries to 4 the final score.
I know there where other trials - Illawarra and Roosters - and the Dogs v Panthers - Manly also played does anyone have anything.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Ok, my prediction - having seen the Penny Panthers SG ball final squad and the Parramatta train on squad (but knowing their coach's preference for particular palyers); I believe both these sides will struggle in the Ball comp.

HM and Ball - Knights v Centurions
In HM - the knights applied good pressure thoughout, very well structured. Quality halves - one which is a coast kid. The coast boys hang tough, throughout the match with a number of injuries to key players. This did not help their cause. But overall it was very good hit out for both teams. 5 tries to nil. I think the score was.

In Ball - Well the Coast team played with 19 players throughout, due to players being injuried or other reasons. Knights squad was the better physically their left side attack is going to very strong. There will be alot sore boys waking today. Very physical game. 5 tries to 4 the final score.
I know there where other trials - Illawarra and Roosters - and the Dogs v Panthers - Manly also played does anyone have anything.

Is Tevita Pangai part of that left side attack this year?

drago brelli

Bench
My friend's son plays in the Illawarra SG Ball team. I saw them play the St. George SG Ball at WIN. St.George had some very big mobile and aggressive islander players. St. George looked ok. Both team ripped into each other. Illawarra are not big but the are tough anglo boys and they beat St George easily. Illawarra should make the 8 but it can be hard to tell so early in the season.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
WA sent a development side over last week, they played Manly Harold Matt's side twice and a South West Sydney Academy of Sport side. Did anyone get a chance watch any of these games?

magpie4ever

First Grade
WA sent a development side over last week, they played Manly Harold Matt's side twice and a South West Sydney Academy of Sport side. Did anyone get a chance watch any of these games?

No, but I heard they lost to the two Manly sides and beat South West Academy, apparently fairly competitive.

leepen leeroy

Juniors
Raider Dave mate I agree with you in regards to the radiers not worring any of the top sides in both HM & SG. I went to a trial in late Dec wests played Canberra, Wests gave them a touch up in the HM and SG. I think wests will finish top 4 HM however there SG side contains 6 to 7 year young players they will for sure perform better then last year but i think will fall short of the 8

KAB

Juniors
KAB who were the standouts in the knights ball team?

From left side Soine Matatuia??, there number 12 (yeates), they also had 4 or 5 imports . They have abit of of improvements but will be higher competitive.